Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress: Atlanta - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I assume the whole three-dress concept for her son's bride was due to some combination of (a) Lori not wanting to disrespect any of her best-selling vendors; (b) vendors wanting to do something to acknowledge a longstanding relationship with a good customer/friend; (c ) vendors liking the opportunity for publicity and being willing to adjust the prices accordingly. Imagine how much it would cost otherwise to have not one, but two dresses custom-designed and made by Judd Waddell (whose off-the-rack gowns on The Knot are in the $3-6,000 range) and Lazaro (whose off-the-rack gowns on The Knot are in the $3-7,000 range). Plus a third dress from the designer whose name I have forgotten.

But that wasn't the limit of the bride's bridal wardrobe. In an interview, Rebecca said she had had a number of bridal showers and Lori provided "informal" bridal gowns to wear to each one. Although it wasn't clear if those were added to the pile, or were just loaners from the salon. I would assume at least that they would be fitted to the bride, as I can't imagine Lori allowing her to attend her bridal showers in dresses that were pinned to fit! :)

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 2

Lost my post..... Who the hell is Phedra and why did Nicki/Nicole pick such an unflattering dress?

Now that was one rude bride. If I was Phaedra, I would be insulted.

Did not like the reception dress. The "going away dress" just seemed superfluous. Oh well.

Yes -- I wondered if Lori was married? Lots of Monte in the show.

When I got married in 1979, it was the norm to have a going away dress you changed in to.

This bride killed me:

FLO: When is the wedding?

BRIDE: I don't know.

FLO: What type of venue?

FLO: What is your budget?

FLO: What kind of dress do you see yourself in?

Moving on to the dresses.....

FLO: What do you think of this FIT & FLARE? Or would you rather try on an A-LINE?

BRIDE: I don't know what any of that means.

WTF-!!!!

• Love 1

I did not like the wedding dress Lori's daughter-in-law picked out. I don't think it flattered her figure at all. If anything, it made her look larger. She would have looked better is something more flowing.

It was interesting to me (and I am not meaning to pass judgement or offend anyone) that Lori and the bride's mother are not overweight. Yet, Lori's son and daughter are larger sized and the bride and her sister are also quite overweight. Not healthy and certainly not at such a young age.

• Love 1

Becca's ceremony dress was pretty and I am glad she chose to wear sleeves. She is a lovely, larger girl and it flattered her as much as a dress could without looking like a tent. Her makeup was gorgeous and luminous. I wish Lori would go a little lighter or more neutral with her eyeshadow. She is a pretty lady and the darker shade just is too harsh with her coloring.

I don't think strapless is flattering for most full size ladies and did not like her reception dress on her. Plus, I just don't "get" the whole reception dress phenomenon anyway. (I am appalled at how much some people spend on weddings anyway.) But THEN to have a going away dress on top of all that. I kept thinking, wow, how stressful and exhausting for the bride and her handlers to keep changing her into all these outfits. "Ok, Becca, after this dance, time for a costume change, honey!" And I noticed that Lori and Becca's mom also had reception outfits, heck, even Monte put on a gold lame jacket for the reception. I just can't imagine how much this entire shindig cost.

I really enjoyed seeing the hallway to the reception lined with other relatives' bridal portraits and the actual dresses on display. That was cool! My mom and dad got married at the beginning of WWII and had no money, so she wore a cream colored dressy street length suit. I sure wish she had saved it.

• Love 2

I loved the going-away dress.  I don't think she needed it but I thought it would make a beautiful bridesmaid's dress.  Also, I loved Lori's daughter.  You just know she had absolutely no say over her own wedding.

• Love 2

I was intrigued to hear a major designer (I forget which one of the three)  say that sleeves were coming back. 

I think this show provided us with a wider variety of gowns this year, so I'll be interested to see if original recipe SYTTD trots out the same old Pninas  or if the New York styles evolve, too. 

• Love 2

Currently watching now, season 6 and as a southern girl it must be a southern thing that half of these bride's are young as hell. I didn't have my serious boyfriend until i was in my 20s and even then I knew I wasn't ready to be someone's wife.

• Love 2

I just watched rerun and I seriously wanted to punch the cousin and the bride's mother.  Cousin Kelly was like a sister to the bride (so said the poor bullied bride).  The cousin was living with the bride's mother while she was finishing up her master's degree.  The cousin and mother were two evil peas in a pod.  The cousin nixed the bride's color theme of red white and blue because she didn't look good in any of those colors.  WTF.  She wanted purple and white.  The mother of course, agreed.  Red white and blue was just so out there  (it was a July wedding).  Then this bitch of a cousin, as soon as the bride said I'm engaged and held out her hand, took the ring off the bride's finger to try on the ring.

I would have told that bitch that she's so jealous she should've been wearing green instead of purple.  

Then the two hags decided that the bride, who wanted a ball gown, nope she had to have a fit and flare because they knew best.  She put on one ball gown and they were just nasty - the entire group, led by the two hags in charge.  Then the bride put on a fit and flare; she didn't look horrible in it, but it was not her choice.  She was extremely uncomfortable in the dress.  Oh but the hags said she didn't know anything and she looked beautiful.  At one point the cousin said she was so tired of trying on dresses, just get a dress already.  Bitch would not have been dress shopping but I'd have cut her out of my wedding period.  

At the end the bride got her ballgown as I think Monte intervened.  He told the hags, if she wants a ballgown, she should get a ballgown - it's her wedding.  He told them she was on the verge of tears, to which the cousin rolled her eyes and did a neck roll.  I know a lot is put on for the show, but the sales person (can't remember her name) was beyond over the two.  I think the whole cousin being a bitch was not fake, as the bride said they'd fought since the time the cousin was born.   I can only hope the bride does not live near the hags and distances herself.

• Love 2
(edited)
On June 14, 2014 at 5:52 PM, Bella said:

I mostly agree, @Kohola3 - though I hope and believe that most people realize that the gay community is very diverse within itself and that Monte is not representative of anyone but himself and maybe a small number of others.

I was touched when I read that he'd married his partner of many years. Clearly, the man has a loving, sentimental side. I'd like to see that on the show. As it is, Monte is too one-note, and that note is grating after so long. 

I'm not sure where to put any comments about Say Yes to Prom because I think it's only an infomercial for Macy's, I mean, a one off special, but I thought it might fit here because I usually find Monte too one note like most posters who have commented in this thread. However, tonight I loved seeing his softer and sentimental side come out. I could really tell he was touched by how amazing the kids were. 

I found them amazing too, and this show was such a breath of fresh air to how awful the new episodes of Say Yes to the Dress have been since they've stretched them to an hour and created needless drama between Randy and Shay. I know that like Say Yes to the Dress, they still staged things to create drama like the mom making it at the last minute, but I didn't care because the kids were just a joy to watch. It was such a nice contrast from the bridezillas and dramatic family members or friends, and the tacky taste of many of the brides. The kids all looked great, and they were all so grateful just to get a day like that. 

Edited by mortonsalt
  • Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:35 PM, mortonsalt said:

I'm not sure where to put any comments about Say Yes to Prom because I think it's only an infomercial for Macy's, I mean, a one off special, but I thought it might fit here because I usually find Monte too one note like most posters who have commented in this thread. However, tonight I loved seeing his softer and sentimental side come out. I could really tell he was touched by how amazing the kids were. 

I found them amazing too, and this show was such a breath of fresh air to how awful the new episodes of Say Yes to the Dress have been since they've stretched them to an hour and created needless drama between Randy and Shay. I know that like Say Yes to the Dress, they still staged things to create drama like the mom making it at the last minute, but I didn't care because the kids were just a joy to watch. It was such a nice contrast from the bridezillas and dramatic family members or friends, and the tacky taste of many of the brides. The kids all looked great, and they were all so grateful just to get a day like that. 

Yeah, it might've served as a big 'ol promo for Macy's prom collection, but I didn't mind since they were providing a wonderful service to some great kids who deserved to feel special.

• Love 3

This isn't the first Say Yes to the Prom special that's aired.  I know there was one last year.  It wasn't always shown on TV, but Monte has been hosting the event since it began in 2012, and it's gotten bigger each year.

• Love 2

A couple of years ago, Monte appeared on a local morning talk show to promote a bridal show he was involved with. He was subdued and professional, completely opposite of his persona on SYTTDA, which leads me to believe he's just playing a "character" ( an annoying one, unfortunately!)

• Love 5
On 6/5/2016 at 8:12 PM, carolinagirl81 said:

Currently watching now, season 6 and as a southern girl it must be a southern thing that half of these bride's are young as hell. I didn't have my serious boyfriend until i was in my 20s and even then I knew I wasn't ready to be someone's wife.

Just watched the episode with the 17-year-old bride.  That father creeped me out.  It seemed to me that these kids are getting married only because they can't wait anymore.  It's clear that this is an evangelical family with evangelical kids.  I see this girl with 10 kids in 10 years.  Sad.

• Love 1

Something I do not understand about this show:  Why is this salon painted GREEN?  Green is SUCH a tough color because it can look like a hospital and makes people look sickly.  My kitchen is Benjamin Moore Guilford Green and it looks OK because my floors are warm hardwoods.  But for a BRIDAL salon?  The carpet is drab, the walls are green and the whole place looks dull, drab, and depressing.  Why on earth would Lori pick out  colors designed to make a bride look as sallow as possible?  Tear out that ugly carpet, put down some bamboo floors, and paint those walls a pale peach.  Put in some WARM high-hat lights.  Trust me, you'll sell more dresses.

Saw two sisters, Diane and Michelle, trying on dresses together. That younger one, Michelle, was horrible. Jesus. Is she your sister or is she someone who must be crushed and demoralized so everyone thinks you look prettier in your gown? Then Michelle basically threw a tantrum because she wasn't the special snowflake anymore when Diane made her pick. Michelle tried to spin it that this was Diane's special day and Michelle would get hers later which essentially MAKES THE DAY ALL ABOUT MICHELLE and how Michelle didn't get a gown. PLUS, Michelle now gets an additional day when everyone has to show up and ooh and ahh over her. She's a thug with a nice smile. Good luck to her husband. Hope his self-esteem can survive her emotional abuse.

I've just recently discovered SYTTD, so I'm watching old episodes.  The one thing that I wish they'd quit saying on this particular show is "let's jack her up" when referring to putting on the veil, jewelry, etc.  Have they quit saying that in the more current ones?   I live in the south, but we don't use that word in a nice way.  We say something is jacked up if it is effed up.  When they say it at the bridal shop, it just doesn't seem in good taste.  YMMV.

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:03 PM, ChitChat said:

I've just recently discovered SYTTD, so I'm watching old episodes.  The one thing that I wish they'd quit saying on this particular show is "let's jack her up" when referring to putting on the veil, jewelry, etc.  Have they quit saying that in the more current ones?   I live in the south, but we don't use that word in a nice way.  We say something is jacked up if it is effed up.  When they say it at the bridal shop, it just doesn't seem in good taste.  YMMV.

Nope, they still say it every single time and act as if it is some trademarked catch phrase specifically for Bridals by Lori.

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:48 AM, gonecrackers said:

I love how putting a piece of expensive netting on someone's head changes everyone's opinion about the dress; makes all the difference apparently (eye roll).

Apparently it also makes one suddenly "feel like a bride!"  As if wearing the wedding dress doesn't make one feel that way already.   

• Love 4
On 6/15/2017 at 7:32 AM, ChitChat said:

Apparently it also makes one suddenly "feel like a bride!"  As if wearing the wedding dress doesn't make one feel that way already.   

I agree!  Mom and Dad are totally against a dress but put a veil on her and "WOW!  YOU LOOK SO BRIDAL!"  Like being in a wedding dress is not bridal.  

I do love how Lori is so generous - the woman who was recovering from cancer and she gave her the dress at cost.  She is a wonderful person.  

Episodes I click off:  any aspiring singer, actor, comic, or dancer.  They are there to audition and I can't take it!!  

I do like Monte though!!  He is a stitch!

• Love 4
On 11/06/2017 at 7:03 PM, ChitChat said:

It does sound rude!  But I'm not from the south & had never heard the expression (in this context) before.

3 hours ago, useryikes said:

It does sound rude!  But I'm not from the south & had never heard the expression (in this context) before.

I'm from the south and have never heard this expression before this show. 

• Love 1

Reruns on today; I'm sitting and watching because it's a cloudy semi rainy day and I can't get motivated.   We're on the kick where the mee maw or mothers (there was even a groom - in the hen house!) have to love the dress before the bride will buy it.   I'm sure they all bought their own dresses (excluding the groom - he liked to pick out her clothes for her - honey, run away NOW from that control freak!!), so why are they dictating what their granddaughter or daughter should wear?   

Amazing once they put on the veil, they all love it.  

Then the repeat of the mom who won't attend the wedding because dad isn't attending.  Missed that it was wedding #2 for the daughter and dad didn't approve of her 1st marriage ending in divorce.  Unless you have to live with the spouse, none of your business if they are getting divorced.  All these folks trying to tell others how to live their lives.    Mom barely cracked a smile.  I bet she caught hell for going to the dress shopping.

• Love 2

Watching a couple of the shows on tonight.  

One I'd not seen before was where the bride was eloping in 6 weeks to get married in a Colorado State Park.  She was a wedding planner and didn't want all of the drama, at least that's what she said.  Her fiancée never thought he'd get married, and was extremely opinionated.  He had a list he gave his mother, who was at the shop, saying he absolutely didn't want netting, no sleeves, etc. on the wedding dress.  My two cents is that he was a super control freak.  I think he was the one who wanted the wedding in a park, with no relatives at all.  I felt badly for the bride, who really liked one dress, only to hear, oh no GROOM (whatever his name was) won't like (or maybe she said allow) that!  WTH.  The groom should be happy in whatever the bride wears, as long as the bride loves it.  I felt badly for the bride's mother, who was crying because she wouldn't be at the wedding.  I mean invite the parents?  How much drama is that?  Have them meet you at the damned park. 

Then the second episode I saw was where the cousin and mother were being an evil tag team against the bride, who was very sweet.  The bride had graduated and met her fiancée at Hanover College, while the cousin had stayed with the bride's mother as she was getting some degree.  They really pissed me off the first time I saw this episode, so I paid attention to some details, and I found them online.  The bride's school made an announcement she'd be on the show.  The cousin must've gotten a lot of grief, because she all of a sudden changed up her looks and hair color.   The mother posted some shit about how they all loved Monte, so which another relative said no we love the BRIDE.  Found pictures of the bride's wedding, which was gorgeous.  She looked great, stunning pictures.  Even if they were following a script, they were just too vicious to me.

I just don't get why people try to say oh you need or must wear this type of dress - unless they truly look just awful.  There's even a way to say that nicely.  

• Love 1

Watched a few minutes of a rerun this morning:  Bride wants to drop $4000 of her mom's money on a dress, specifically an Eve of Milady dress.   Apparently those are very expensive gowns.  The one that was shown?  Strapless, see through corset (ala Pinina Tornai) with a gold glittery belt and a dropped waist into a full Cinderella skirt.  It was horrid.  Beyond horrid.  Luckily, I had to leave for work so I did not get to see if she got that fugly gown!

On 12/16/2017 at 8:11 PM, hoosier80 said:

I felt badly for the bride, who really liked one dress, only to hear, oh no GROOM (whatever his name was) won't like (or maybe she said allow) that!  WTH. 

That is why I never even considered having my now husband see me in my dress.  I value his opinion and I did NOT want it this time!!!  LOL!  Yesterday was the 12th anniversary of my gastric bypass, and dress shopping/clothes shopping has only recently become pleasant!!!  So no, love you honey, see you at the wedding.  I'll be wearing white.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Watched a few minutes of a rerun this morning:  Bride wants to drop $4000 of her mom's money on a dress, specifically an Eve of Milady dress.   Apparently those are very expensive gowns.  The one that was shown?  Strapless, see through corset (ala Pinina Tornai) with a gold glittery belt and a dropped waist into a full Cinderella skirt.  It was horrid.  Beyond horrid.  Luckily, I had to leave for work so I did not get to see if she got that fugly gown!

Ugh; how sad. I recall working with someone years ago who wore an Eve of Milady dress - it was gorgeous!! I was so upset I couldn't afford one, but who cares really in the end. But it was truly beautiful, if you like full skirt style. It was off the shoulder, long, full train, work all over it but not overdone; such a gorgeous dress.

Sorry to hear they've jumped onto the tacky & overpriced bandwagon.  Even more sad is that seems to be what's selling.

41 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

Sorry to hear they've jumped onto the tacky & overpriced bandwagon.  Even more sad is that seems to be what's selling.

No kidding - when did see through corsets become a thing?  It needs to stop!  My eyes!!!

• Love 3
On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2014 at 7:51 PM, sleepyjean said:

Also watched the episode with the 23 year old who planned to marry her fiance in Hawaii. She brought her mother to the appointment, even though the mother probably isn't going to the wedding because her husband (the bride's father) objects to the marriage. Wow, they were dysfunctional. They made it seem like the father was some kind of ogre, but the fact that the bride is 23 and going into her second marriage tells me that there's more going on and maybe dad knew the first marriage was bad, and wasn't willing to support her jumping into a second one that looks just as bad. In any case, if mom can't support the wedding whole-heartedly, why bring her to the appointment? The bride was whining about how she wanted to have that "moment" with her mom. Oh brother. It's so interesting to me that people they don't get along with to these appointments.

I watched a marathon the other night because I couldn't sleep, so I've gone back over the comments looking to see if people were as appalled as I was about some of this.  I only caught Hawaii bride's fitting, and wondered what was going on.  Her follow-up didn't mention this was a 2nd wedding.  Still, my mom (and many other moms I know) would have been all "You don't have to support this marriage, but I'm going!".  Made me sad.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 10:47 AM, doodlebug said:

Anyone else watching last night and distracted by human Barbie doll Morgan and  whatever it was she had done to her face?  Only 33 years old and already with fully siliconized lips, cheek implants and so much Botox that nothing moved, even when she laughed. Considering her mom worked at the shop, the show did her a disservice when they showed all the pics of her as a kid which only proved that she has had more work done than some of the Kardashians.  Makes me wonder what sort of self image issues she must've had to willingly alter her appearance so drastically.  She looked like a cartoon character, not a real person.  As for the 'unlimited budget' because she was marrying a country music star; so what?  Personally, I've never been very impressed with any of the 'custom' creations we see on any of these shows.  Her dress was nice enough, surely she could've found one for a quarter the cost that would've been just as nice.  It makes me think she's got more money than sense.  I understand why the shop owners are excited to see these suckers who are willing to shell out a small fortune for a dress they'll wear just once, but to me, they are fools.  I am no country music aficionado, but has anyone ever heard if the guy she was marrying?  Who exactly are the 'millions' of people she claimed would be seeing pictures of her wedding dress and judging?  Methinks some of the Botox leached into her brain.  Well, that and that she should perhaps spend some money on counseling to try to figure out why she has self esteem issues that she's trying to fix with cosmetic surgery and ridiculously expensive dresses.

I took one look at her and her plastic boobs and Joker-like lips/smile, and wondered why she felt she needed so much surgery so young.  I had no clue who her country singer fiancée was.  I don't listen to country, but I hear the names from people I know who do.  I see a lifetime of surgery for her if she felt she needed so much done at her age.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2015 at 12:29 AM, Kitty Redstone said:

Why is it not a red flag for the brides who won't get a dress they love because they're worried about their fiancee's reaction?  I'm watching the episode with the bride who is eloping to Colorado and who's fiancee is "opinionated" (which is often a euphemism for controlling), but she is not the first bride who has acted this way.  The young woman who was marrying someone with the last name Chicken or Turkey or some other foul comes to mind.

Wanting your groom to think you are beautiful is fine; picking what the groom wants so you don't have to listen to him complain or worse, get bullied over making a choice without him, is not.  It's disheartening to see this dynamic on what should be a happy show.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2015 at 1:00 PM, Missy Vixen said:

I was even more freaked out that his mother was along to "reinforce" his likes and dislikes to the bride. (No sleeves, no net, no "lace on the top"? It's bridal and she's getting married in a park. I would love to know what he thought was appropriate for this event.) I'm making a bold prediction as well: That marriage won't last. The mother of the bride appeared genuinely crushed that she wasn't going to be at her daughter's wedding, and I'm guessing the daughter did not arrive at the decision to elope on her own.

The football player's younger sister is obnoxious, as is every other bride that has appeared on this show believing it's everyone else's job to pay for her choices.

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2015 at 12:45 PM, joanne3482 said:

It was just on rerun this past weekend. Bride is a wedding planner and who is planning on marrying in a park in Colorado with no family around. She claims because she's a wedding planner she doesn't want to do all that. She puts on dress #1 which is BEAUTIFUL and she gets all teary eyed in the dressing room. It has a sweetheart neckline but then lace up to the neck. I'm sure I'm describing it poorly. She comes out and everyone oohs and ahhs except fiance's mother. She says No he wouldn't like it because he said no netting or lace. Then she explains how he worked in men's fashion and he has a very discerning eye, blah blah blah. Bride is visibly sad about this but then says no it isn't the one. Goes back and tries on another and this one is a no because of its little cap sleeves. Goes back ends up in basically a princess ballgown type with lace "straps" up over the shoulders but no because he doesn't like the sleeves and so they tuck in the 'straps' and now it is magical and THE dress. Somewhere along the way it came out he didn't like tulle either. It was ridiculous how the future MIL seemed to have last say based on her interpretation of what her son would like and the list of "no's" he provided. Also bride's mother appeared to be shattered that she would not get to attend her daughter's wedding. I know the wedding is for the bride and groom, but I was so sad for the mom that there seemed to be no compromise available. 

To my thought, if I were getting married on a mountain or whatnot but still wanted a dress I probably wouldn't do a floor length dress because the thing will snag on everything. 

I SO wanted that girl to just run away.  She's in for a lifetime of disappointment, and running the risk of losing herself to become what her fiancée wants.  She also is probably already "not good enough for my son" for his pushy strict mother.  "He worked in men's fashion, so he has specific taste!".  Well, this isn't men's fashion.  And the bride's opinion matters.  I think some of her mom's grief is that her daughter is about to run off with such a control freak.  I should have paid attention to the names to see if I could find them.  She was a pretty girl, and I can understand her not wanting to fuss over a wedding since she's done that, but either do a small "immediate family only" deal, or have a 2nd ceremony where everyone can attend.  What she did was just cruel.  Also wondering if his family was invited, and the bride left that out.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 10:25 PM, Thumper said:

Did not like the reception dress. The "going away dress" just seemed superfluous. Oh well.

Old fashioned concept, from when the bride and groom left their reception to go on their honeymoon, and everyone gathered around to wish them well and watch them leave.  I got married in the somewhat early 90's, and a bridal magazine had "going away suit" on a checklist.  I had to ask my mom what that was.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2015 at 8:23 PM, Tess23 said:

Little Miss Priss maid of honor in the purple can take her pursed up lips and head right back to the hole she crawled out of. No wonder she's living with the mother of the bride--am guessing any sane man would stay far away from that.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 3:13 PM, hoosier80 said:

I just watched rerun and I seriously wanted to punch the cousin and the bride's mother.  Cousin Kelly was like a sister to the bride (so said the poor bullied bride).  The cousin was living with the bride's mother while she was finishing up her master's degree.  The cousin and mother were two evil peas in a pod.  The cousin nixed the bride's color theme of red white and blue because she didn't look good in any of those colors.  WTF.  She wanted purple and white.  The mother of course, agreed.  Red white and blue was just so out there  (it was a July wedding).  Then this bitch of a cousin, as soon as the bride said I'm engaged and held out her hand, took the ring off the bride's finger to try on the ring.

I would have told that bitch that she's so jealous she should've been wearing green instead of purple.  

Then the two hags decided that the bride, who wanted a ball gown, nope she had to have a fit and flare because they knew best.  She put on one ball gown and they were just nasty - the entire group, led by the two hags in charge.  Then the bride put on a fit and flare; she didn't look horrible in it, but it was not her choice.  She was extremely uncomfortable in the dress.  Oh but the hags said she didn't know anything and she looked beautiful.  At one point the cousin said she was so tired of trying on dresses, just get a dress already.  Bitch would not have been dress shopping but I'd have cut her out of my wedding period.  

At the end the bride got her ballgown as I think Monte intervened.  He told the hags, if she wants a ballgown, she should get a ballgown - it's her wedding.  He told them she was on the verge of tears, to which the cousin rolled her eyes and did a neck roll.  I know a lot is put on for the show, but the sales person (can't remember her name) was beyond over the two.  I think the whole cousin being a bitch was not fake, as the bride said they'd fought since the time the cousin was born.   I can only hope the bride does not live near the hags and distances herself.

I felt so badly for that poor girl.  I'm wondering if there's some sort of bad blood between the Bride's mom and Kelly's mom?  My husband has a cousin (female) who would regularly take off for his house when she was mad at her mom, exploiting that there was bad blood between the two sisters, and my late MIL was always too eager to take her niece in, and rub it in her sister's face that her daughter was staying with her.  Then eventually, she'd go back to her mom, and I'm sure say all kinds of things about my late MIL to get back in to her mom's good graces.  My late MIL wasn't a good person, but his cousin has serious issues, and to this day, is still a major drama queen.  She has 4 daughters ,and has tried to ruin the lives of 2 of them, and uses Social Media to air dirty laundry.  They finally blocked her.  She's on the outs with her mom again, and my husband said she's probably ticked off that his mom is dead, because she'd be living with her if she wasn't.  I'm glad the bride finally found her voice, with some help.  Kelly is probably jealous on top of it.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:03 PM, ChitChat said:

The only other time I heard it was on Toddlers & Tiaras, during a few southern pageants.  They talked about poofing up their hair as "Jacking it up to Jesus".  Maybe it's a pageant term.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 1

Noticed last night (while watching Trading Spaces & Nate & Jeremiah) that a new season starts on June 9th.....

Although I always say I won't fall into the trap of watching, I actually do end up watching...  :-(  

• Love 1

After all of the annoying changes to the New York version of the show, it was nice to see the Atlanta version is original recipe.  The brides and their families were refreshingly normal.

• Love 2

I personally didn't like the bride they chose to start up a new season...the young lady with the ex-ball player fiance' who was trashing the guy's ex-wife and all of his 'baby mamas'. I thought that was a low class kind of client to highlight.

I also wonder why they didn't clarify WHY they were off the air for so long? Does anyone know? I happen to like Lori and Monte. I think they're genuinely nice people and so are Lori's bridal consultants.

I don't want Kleinfelt SYTTD to become a 'circus' type of show. I prefer to see regular, normal brides shopping for their wedding gowns...not hyped up 'fake' people on the show. I also think the Randy is a very talented designer. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

I personally didn't like the bride they chose to start up a new season...the young lady with the ex-ball player fiance' who was trashing the guy's ex-wife and all of his 'baby mamas'. I thought that was a low class kind of client to highlight.

Ditto.  And her "I want my dress to be classy and slutty" statement made me roll my eyes.  Can't have it both ways.  And, of course, the fake pregnancy drama and idiot Monty running around with a babushka on his head. He gets on my last nerve.

The other half with the same old, same old family drama - the smirking sister-in-law-to-be that casts the side eye at the mother having a meltdown when daughter shows up in the gown cut down to her navel.  Supposedly the bride and her mother are best friends and she doesn't know better than to walk out in that atrocity?  I admit I felt the same way the mother did about that abomination.  I'd have thrown a coat over her.

On the plus side we saw one different and lovely dress - the first one the trash talking bride tried on was lovely.  And lady, that would be considered classy.  The one you picked was run of the mill and looks like a million other dresses.

Becca - you got into this business and are surprised to see that there is family drama?  Seriously?  Ever watch TV?

• Love 5

I just want Monte to quit using the term "jack her up."   As I've mentioned before, in my neck of the woods it means something is effed up when you say it.   I think it sounds crass when said to a bride.  YMMV  

• Love 9
(edited)

This episode should've been called 'The start of a trashy season'... geesh!!

I really think the boob dresses were not ever going to be seriously considered, but they used the boob shots for, what, ratings? I don't get it honestly.

I felt so bad for the one mom; when she said she was 'a little bit' pissed I felt her pain; I would've been a LOT a bit pissed if they used my daughter that way. 

They were not shocked at her reaction; those slut dresses were done on purpose.

The former NBA bride - wtf?  All the talk about gold digging, other baby mamas, the pregnancy crap, etc - talk about awkward.  The first dress was lovely, but I'm tired of the 'cinderella' & 'princess' talk - it's way too juvenile.

The show is going for ratings but in a different, yet still trashy, direction than NY; not a great sign so far.

I was also annoyed with the consultant, Becca, psychoanalyzing her bride & mom & oversharing her own life. Lay off her mom; shut up & just pull dresses please.

The other consultant (she's been there forever but can't remember her name!) looked really good - that lady never seems to age.

Oh, & the 'jack her up' thing has to go - so nasty!!

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, gonecrackers said:

I really think the boob dresses were not ever going to be seriously considered, but they used the boob shots for, what, ratings? I don't get it honestly.

They make sure to zoom in whenever a woman tries on one of those kinds of dresses.  It's ridiculous.  I thought the second dress that she tried on looked a little juvenile on her.  That's what her Mom was trying to say.  It was a beautiful dress, but it didn't look quite right on that bride, IMO.  I liked what she ended up picking out. 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

They make sure to zoom in whenever a woman tries on one of those kinds of dresses.  It's ridiculous.  I thought the second dress that she tried on looked a little juvenile on her.  That's what her Mom was trying to say.  It was a beautiful dress, but it didn't look quite right on that bride, IMO.  I liked what she ended up picking out. 

I liked the little cap sleeves, but I can see how it may have looked too young for her.  The dress she picked out was nice, but I was hoping for something different, finally, but it's just more of the same we keep seeing on these shows.

I think from the previews they're trying on some different styles, & more with sleeves, but I wonder if any of them will actually be bought.

With many of these dresses the lower portion can be quite lovely, & maybe it's just me but when they're strapless it seems like something's missing. The ones with sleeves of some sort always seem more complete, & interesting, to me.

Seems like this season we'll have more of the same silly dramas, goofy Monty antics, along with the bitchy opinionated gay friends to irritate Monty, with the added bonus of Lori's daughter taking over the salon & being an annoyance to everyone.

Oh, & boobs - lots of boobs.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 2

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt like this new season was turning towards a more 'low class' clientele and program. I think Lori has class and her consultants do too. The brides and their families should also behave properly. I"m not looking for fake, silly drama. I like to see the pretty gowns and what the brides, bridesmaids, etc. choose. 

I'm also glad that covered shoulders and/or sleeves are coming back. I didn't care much for all the strapless wedding gowns. When you have a wedding in a religious place or worship, those types of 'stripper gowns' are frowned upon by the officiating clergy. They don't like to see a bride's  breasts flowing out of a wedding gown. Save that for the honeymoon.

I hope this show 'classes up' again. I also hope Kleinfeld remains the distinguished operation is has been to many who live in New York and Brooklyn; and to those who have gone there to actually purchase a real, elegant wedding gown.....with their families and NO staged drama.

• Love 3
(edited)

Did anyone else watch the special with Lori's son's wedding, that really was Lori's wedding that she shoehorned her daughter-in-law into? I thought it turned out surprisingly well, mostly because the daughter-in-law and her mom were quite gracious and flexible. Not sure how it would have gone if they had opinions as strong as Lori's opinions. I liked the reception dress she picked, thought the ceremony dress made her look unfortunately broad-beamed (the reception dress was much more flattering to her shape), and thought having a third going-away dress was a stupid 1950s pretense. Also thought it was a bit odd that all of Lori's designer friends were invited to the wedding, and that the couple said they wanted a destination wedding with "only" 200 guests. They are using "destination wedding" much differently than I understand it. Also using "only" much differently.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

I liked the little cap sleeves, but I can see how it may have looked too young for her.  The dress she picked out was nice, but I was hoping for something different, finally, but it's just more of the same we keep seeing on these shows.

I liked the cap sleeves too, but the dress just didn't seem to look quite right on her to me, but I liked it much better than the first low-cut one!  Some of those strapless dresses are cut so low that I don't know how they stay up!  I think that a more modest look in a church setting is the appropriate thing to wear.  YMMV.

(edited)
15 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I liked the cap sleeves too, but the dress just didn't seem to look quite right on her to me, but I liked it much better than the first low-cut one!  Some of those strapless dresses are cut so low that I don't know how they stay up!  I think that a more modest look in a church setting is the appropriate thing to wear.  YMMV.

The cap sleeves were pretty; it would've just needed some adjusting up top so one couldn't see right into it. I thought she could've found something more sophisticated yet different than the strapless one we've seen a million times.

There are several around the shop shown having illusion necklines with some work on them; I think they're quite pretty & a more modest option.

Those low cut dresses need to be burned & never be an option for any bride - ever!

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 4

I hated the mom in the last episode. I felt sorry for the bride when her mother catapulted off the couch and dragged her from the room hissing "How dare you" and such. What a harpy.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ciarrai said:

I felt sorry for the bride when her mother catapulted off the couch and dragged her from the room hissing "How dare you".

That bride knew full well what her mother's reaction would be when she put on that horrible dress.  I don't feel the least bit sorry for her. 

• Love 3

I don't get the whole destination wedding thing where you spend oodles and oodles of money on a dress to show it off to, what, were there even 5 people there?  Maybe I am more practical but I'd save that kind of travel money for an nice honeymoon and have an wedding at home with friends and family to celebrate.  It wouldn't have to be an elaborate one but at least somebody would see the gown! 

Didn't she say she had 4 brothers?  It looked like her parents and his parents and that's about it.

• Love 2