Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress: Atlanta - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I guess I'll move this over once the Atlanta thread starts. I'm watching a rerun of "Bride Overboard". I totally can't believe this 55 year old lady is having a huge cathedral wedding with big gown, but the family? Ha-larious. The niece/daughter combo, just the back and forths of the family. She doesn't like the flowery dress and says, "but I know who doeeees...." as the xylophone rings up and her sisters grin grows. I rewound that a few times. The tacky flower dress that looks like something out of the costume box of the community theater.

Now I'm shutting it off, I can handle about 20 minutes of Monte before I'm done. 

Since this relates to my earlier comment, although references an epi of SYTTD-A, I'm putting this here.

Yesterday, I had the TV on in the background tuned to the SYTTD-A marathon, while I was doing other things. I heard what I thought was a bride saying something to the effect of wanting an "A-frame" dress...... and quickly ran to the LR, grabbed the remote, and rewound a minute or two. YES...there she was...in the segment of the program which features a bride picking up her dress. She was doing her TH, and was explaining when she initially came to the salon to select her gown, she had thought she wanted "An A-frame style dress" but then had selected something quite different. I even turned on the CC to be SURE she had said "A-frame" - and she had.

Okay, the bride-to-be WAS a bit chunky but did she really think covering herself with a HOUSE would be flattering? Really?

So, let's add another entry to my initial post (although it should be an addendum to my reference to the non-existence of "Princess dresses"):

#5 Know your silhouettes: A-line, Ball gown, Sheath, Mermaid, Trumpet, Empire, Fit and flare. Unless you truly want to drag along a house on your back, DO NOT ask for an "A-frame."

• Love 1
(edited)

I've been thinking Monte's thread title could be "knock off Randy" because he is supposed to be just like Randy but he so isn't bless his heart.

Monte just makes me nuts. I assume he's playing the character the producers want him to play, but that character is a preening jackass, JMO, and not clever or witty. I don't understand why anyone agrees to go on this show if it means that Monte is going to be bitchy about them on TV (and let's not even go into this - "I'm here to make you look the best you can on your wedding day, but I will be the first to tell you 'no'... 'Your backside looks too big,' or 'You're too busty for this,' or 'You're too tall for this).

I don't think there's any question that Randy knows how to dress like a beautiful woman, but the one time I ever saw him try to talk a bride out of a dress because it didn't do her figure any favors he backed off as soon as she told him she felt pretty in it, because it wasn't his place to make her feel bad about the way she wanted her wedding. And he was a successful wedding dress designer himself.

So, you know, pick that or being mocked on national television by a guy who (just trying to make you look the best you can, Monte, dear) looks like post-operative Bruce Jenner if he'd kept his seventies hair all these years. I genuinely congratulate him on his recent wedding, but I think he should consider spending his honeymoon period not on TV.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

I just can't with the idea of having your figure abused on national television as a perk of spending thousands of dollars on a dress. One of the things I like about the mothership is that they don't do that.

Anyway, I don't dislike Monte as much as I adore Randy and his Christian Dior socks that match his pocket squares. I'm kind of a schlub myself, but it's nice to see someone obviously care so much about what he does.

This is for talking about the show as a whole, not specific episodes. So if you want to talk about brides who want to wear their boots, for example, this is the place. If you want to talk about the specific boot-wearing bride you saw in a specific episode, please take it to the Episodes thread.

Did Heather's mom nix her wearing the boots? Did Emily's grandma get her way about the sleeves? Did Caitlyn find a dress with enough bling?

Talk about things that happened in specific episodes here.

The friend who demanded that the bride go significantly over budget because she doesn't believe in sparing any expense when it comes to fashion can bite me. There aren't enough shut-ups in the world. Not that bride Shawanda didn't agree, but the friend bothered me more.

I realize that blond bride's ticket to the show was her sob story about growing up in an orphanage, but having her crowbar that fact into her introduction was ridiculous.  I felt sorrier for the consultant having to listen to that than I did for the bride.

• Love 4
(edited)

The friend who demanded that the bride go significantly over budget because she doesn't believe in sparing any expense when it comes to fashion can bite me. There aren't enough shut-ups in the world. Not that bride Shawanda didn't agree, but the friend bothered me more.

The 34-year-old bride in that one who walked out pouting because daddy might object to funding her princess dream didn't exactly win me over.

I agree. Both were silly, as was the whole scenario. If that's the dress you "must" have and if you "must" accept only so many dollars from daddy, then pony up the difference. Especially if you're a grown woman.

But then, I paid for my own wedding dress at 25. It was $325 (early 80s), because that's what I could afford.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 1

I did think that the cousin was kind of bitchy but "high fashion" friend was hilarious because her taste was awful. I had my dress made from a picture I showed my dressmaker of a $5,300 (seriously???) dress. I had her make the skirts all my bridesmaid's wore and with materials and fittings and everything, I paid $725 dollars. So yeah this show cracks me up. 

• Love 1

I've decided I can't with this show. I just can't. I've tried many times  but I'm out. I love the snark on it but Lori and Monte and the whole southern belle thing just no.

• Love 2

Not be be politically incorrect but Monte gives the gay community a bad name.  He is so over the top he's a caricature of a gay man with true fashion sense.  His attempts at humor are cringe-worthy and his only contribution seems to be to hang a bunch of gaudy belts and jewelry on a doubting bride and call it an improvement.  I mute the TV whenever he's doing his supposedly comic shtick.

Lord, yes!  What a little bitch - the only one with a shred of sense was the cousin and she was assigned the honor of being the person who "ruined my appointment".  How much you bet that the Dad was relieved she was there.  I would have loved to have seen the outcome on that one.  Of course, it could have all be trumped up for the fashionista (NOT) to get her 15 minutes of fame and they had no intention of buying a dress anyway.

And what was with the MIL who wanted that fugly Scarlett O'Hara dress because it "matched the venue".  Did she deliberately have plastic surgery to look like Joan Rivers?  That bride better run while she has the chance. I don't foresee a good future for that marriage.

• Love 3

I mostly agree, @Kohola3 - though I hope and believe that most people realize that the gay community is very diverse within itself and that Monte is not representative of anyone but himself and maybe a small number of others.

I was touched when I read that he'd married his partner of many years. Clearly, the man has a loving, sentimental side. I'd like to see that on the show. As it is, Monte is too one-note, and that note is grating after so long. 

• Love 3

I am still waiting for the day when a friend who's pushing the bride to exceed the budget will offer to pay the difference. Instead, on this and the other show, they just sit there looking stupid, like it's a problem someone else created. 

• Love 2

Greedy bride Shawanda also had the oddest bushy/misshapen eyebrows, and was wearing what looked like a cheap (and ill-fitting) chambray or denim shirt dress over slacks. Fashion maven, indeed.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought there was something odd about her eyebrows. They looked like they were drawn in and filled out by some sort of colored pencil.

• Love 1

I've got to admit that I'm kind of enjoying the truth-telling parents in this episode. It's nice to hear what all of us have been writing actually being said.

Most of the brides this week annoyed the heck out of me. T he bride who wanted the cinderella dress and would accept no other princess dress was riduculous. That blue taffeta nightmare has made an appearance several times this season and it's awful. The top of the dress comes up so high, it makes all the women who try it on look misshapen. Monte and Laurie were smart to jack her up with a tiara, that pretty much guaranteed the sale. The bride's pouting about her vision of being a princess was OTT. 

Speaking of princesses, the bride who was saving herself for marriage but wanted to look sexy and tried on a stripper fairy dress while dad was screaming to go put some clothes on. While I was in dad's corner theoretically, he came off as rude. THe dress they chose was fine, but when she said how wonderful their wedding night was going to be because it was their first time, I yelled no it won't be back at the TV. Regardless of what your grandma, your pastor, TV and urban legend say, the truth is that the first time ain't so great for most people. 

The mom who was prepared to drop 10K on a gown to make up for her frat house wedding 30 years ago  first off, no way would I spend 10 grand on a wedding dress, esp if I was married for 30 years and it was just going to be a small wedding on a beach. But I guess some people have money to burn so whatever. I loved the top of the dress she chose, she looked great and the top really flattered her, but ugh, the bottom. She could barely move and it looked like a band wrapped around her legs where the top and bottom met. 

The bride with the "big girls" whose mama didn't want her to look hoochie suffered from a lack of proper foundations during her TH and before she tried on dresses. The bra she was wearing was way way too small, and her boobs were literally pouring out of the top, and almost looking like she had an extra set of boobs above her boobs. We big chested girls call that the curse of the double boob, which is caused by not being properly fitted for a bra. The bride was too big on top to wear bras from a normal store, she needed to invest money in an expensive bra from a specialty shop. Ironically , in the wedding gowns, with her bra off, her boobs looked 100% better. Don't get me started on her yellow and green eyeshadow. Best line of of the night, mam says where'd she get so hoochie? Auntie says from you. I LOLed at that.

• Love 1
Speaking of princesses, the bride who was saving herself for marriage but wanted to look sexy and tried on a stripper fairy dress while dad was screaming to go put some clothes on.

For someone so eager to have us know the "saving yourself" line of crap, you'd think she'd be wanting to save that view for her hubbie instead of flaunting it in front of the whole group of guests.  A wedding is NOT the place to be wearing anything see through let alone a wedding dress.  i absolutely abhor that trend.

And 10 thou for that horrible thing for Mrs. Vow Renewal?  I thought the top was interesting and different but I didn't think it fit her all that well and the bottom was awful.  Every time they bring out that awful style with the fitted top and exploding bottom, all I can think is in 20 years they'll look at the wedding pictures and say "What the hell was I THINKING"!  I will be SO glad when this style is long gone.

Cinderella bride?  All of those immature girls who want to go the princess route need to have a 5 year engagement to grow up and become part of the real world.  I give all of those marriages 1 chance in 10 of surviving.  No man is going to put up with that princess crap for long and fairy godmother isn't going to swoop down and grant your every wish.  

• Love 1

I thought the conservative dad was being an ass and went way too far, but he was right in calling that one dress a negligee. Aside from that, I wanted to smack him. Stopped clock right twice a day, etc., in his case. The consultants were right to shuffle that group out the door with the "do you want to think about it more?" line. They were never going to agree on a dress. 

• Love 1

Ten thousand dollar vow renewal bride looked to me like a linebacker from the waist up and a sausage starting to explode starting from the bottom up from the waist down. The second strapless gown she put on was so much more flattering on her, I couldn't imagine what she was seeing in the mirror when she fell for the first fugly one.

Virgin Bride's father was an obnoxious ass. He was right about the stripper fairy outfit, but still obnoxious.

I totally agree with what Ketzel said, regarding both brides.

When the renewal bride put on that dress, I was waiting to hear her say that she realized it wasn't the dress for her.  I couldn't believe that she loved it and thought it looked great on her. 

• Love 1
(edited)

The latest episodes reminded me of one of the things that drive me nuts about this version: the ultra-young brides who seem to show up so frequently.

"I loved this dress until my daddy told me I didn't - then I didn't like it anymore."

"I'd never pick a dress my Grammy didn't like..."

"My sorority sisters have so much more style than me."*

If you're too young to pick your own damn wedding dress - or know who's going to torpedo the experience so you can leave them home - you're too damn young to get married.

* Special aggravation with this one: bringing your whole freaking sorority to the appointment, because your whole freaking sorority is in your wedding.

Yes, I know we see these themes on the NY show. But they're so dominant they're downright tedious on this one.

On the plus side...

Pnina isn't there :) and Disney princesses and southern belles rule, so we see more types of dresses (and the slutty ones are surprises, not the bulk of what's shown). I do like the mix of dresses they show on this one (and the dresses are the real reason I watch).

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 7

OK, the brides and dresses were totally forgettable.

But the nails on that horrid mother made me physically ill.  You know good and well those monstrosities have to dip into the toilet water whenever she goes to wipe herself.  That was the grossest thing I have ever seen - I can't even imagine the amount of bacteria she spreads around with those things.  Blech.

• Love 4
(edited)

I really disliked Magan. Off topic but unless they're Irish or Scottish that's a stupid name. Stop giving your children incorrectly spelled names to make them feel special. Anyway, I don't think she really had a sense of style. She just wanted to be special and have something that no one else had. She said she was 20 and the way she was acting, she came across as too young to be getting married. The dress she loved looked okay but not spectacular and it might have looked worse in person. But like with a spoiled brat, everyone caved in to her demands.

Edited by aradia22

I can maybe understand the hoarders, freaky eaters, phobics, and sex fetishists, but I will never ever understand the fingernail-growing people! Whyyyyy?

It always makes me sad when a bride is in love with a controlling jerk who has such strong opinions about what dress she wears. I hope she doesn't plan on doing any thinking for herself after the wedding. (It's also possible that I took Sleeping With the Enemy too seriously.)

We've seen tons of husbands get weak in the knees and teary when they first see their brides walking down the aisle, even when the dresses are a hot mess. And that Is the correct reaction.

At least the producers are putting the "funny" Lori/Monte talking head sketches at the end of the show now, so I can delete before I get to them.

• Love 4
She said she was 20 and the way she was acting, she came across as too young to be getting married. The dress she loved looked okay but not spectacular and it might have looked worse in person. But like with a spoiled brat, everyone caved in to her demands.

Way too immature to get married if fixating on the color of a dress (even when the dress itself is hideous) is the be all and end all to living. What a snotty little brat.  Wait until hubby gets browbeaten into painting the bedroom "blush" or whatever color of the moment she can't live without and he hates it.  Is she going to get grandpa to come over and force the husband to give in to the little darling?

• Love 1

Comb-over aside, I liked the grandfather of the blush bride. As an entourage member, you probably assume you were invited to the appointment because the bride values your opinion. Then you give it in a nice way and the bride crumples. The mother was awfully steely-eyed about it, but even she eventually relented.

I thought it was kind of disgraceful how rude she was about the dress the grandfather chose. She could have said that it wasn't what she pictured her gown looking like, or that she wasn't sure it suited her, or that she wanted something with fewer shinies on it. Instead, she went with this is ugly, I hate it, it looks like someone poured wite-out on it to cover up the mistake of making it (with aren't-I-clever smirk).

I hope they showed this before the wedding so the future husband had some idea what he was getting into.

Ten thousand dollar vow renewal bride looked to me like a linebacker from the waist up and a sausage starting to explode starting from the bottom up from the waist down. The second strapless gown she put on was so much more flattering on her, I couldn't imagine what she was seeing in the mirror when she fell for the first fugly one.

Virgin Bride's father was an obnoxious ass. He was right about the stripper fairy outfit, but still obnoxious.

Yes I agree! and notice how none of the entourage said they liked it? They kept telling her to try on more. She looked terrible in it. It was too square. It made her look very square like a linebacker. She needed a rounded neckline. She looked bad and all her lumps and bumps showed (I work out 3 times a week so I want to show my body- lol) It was just about the ugliest dress I have seen on this show by far and she had 10 grand to spend!

• Love 1
I realize that blond bride's ticket to the show was her sob story about growing up in an orphanage, but having her crowbar that fact into her introduction was ridiculous.  I felt sorrier for the consultant having to listen to that than I did for the bride.

Couldn't agree more. The whole "when I was a child, I never had a new dress" angle would have been more effective if the bride was 18 and just aging out of the system. But this was clearly a grown woman who had been supporting herself (and buying her own clothes) for years. The tragedy of her formative years just was not compelling. Or even mildly interesting.

If that's the dress you "must" have and if you "must" accept only so many dollars from daddy, then pony up the difference. Especially if you're a grown woman.

This is what I do not understand about this show, or the NYC version. So many of these brides feel that they "deserve" an expensive dress. Never a thought for the fact that someone else had to work for those thousands of dollars. Never the thought that they themselves could perhaps work for those thousands of dollars.

One thing I do prefer about the Atlanta show is they do occasionally call the bride and her stupid friends out on this nonsense. I also like the fact that they don't haggle on this show. A sob story does not change the price tag.

Know your silhouettes: A-line, Ball gown, Sheath, Mermaid, Trumpet, Empire, Fit and flare.

I agree with you in principle, although I must confess, I've been watching this show since season 1 and I'm still not clear on the difference between mermaid, trumpet, and fit and flare.

That blue taffeta nightmare has made an appearance several times this season and it's awful. The top of the dress comes up so high, it makes all the women who try it on look misshapen.

Why is it so pointy? I also think this is one of those dresses that should be kept on a mannequin on the floor, because keeping that giant skirt crammed in a  garment bag doesn't do it any favors.

Ten thousand dollar vow renewal bride looked to me like a linebacker from the waist up and a sausage starting to explode starting from the bottom up from the waist down.

I can only hope it looks better on her when it's her size. I don't mind the bottom that much, but the top looks like it was crocheted by that crafty friend who makes handmade gifts for every occasion and nobody is honest enough to tell her it's all crap.  I also have to wonder why a woman wears black undergarments to try on white dresses.

I do like the mix of dresses they show on this one (and the dresses are the real reason I watch).

Agreed. Lots more variety than the NYC show.

Pnina isn't there :)

Although we are treated to the occasional pnina-inspired masterpiece.

But the nails on that horrid mother made me physically ill.

All yellowed and curled up. Really gross. And it's 100% about getting attention everywhere you go.

I really disliked Magan.

Another entitled child-bride. I think I might actually like the dress she chose, but her hair was covering so much of it, I don't know. It wasn't a good shade for her coloring. The other dress with the attached collar was horrid. I find it hard to believe that those two dresses were the only two options. That's something I don't get about this show. If I'm spending $500 on a dress, let alone thousands, for damn sure I'm going to try on more than a couple of dresses.

• Love 2

One thing I do prefer about the Atlanta show is they do occasionally call the bride and her stupid friends out on this nonsense. I also like the fact that they don't haggle on this show. A sob story does not change the price tag.

One exception. I got a little sniffy when they gifted the dress for the young woman who had to rush her wedding because her groom was diagnosed with ALS.

I agree with you in principle, although I must confess, I've been watching this show since season 1 and I'm still not clear on the difference between mermaid, trumpet, and fit and flare.

I think it has to do with where the flare hits. Fit and flare is the highest, below the natural waist. Trumpet flares lower, around mid-thigh. Mermaid starts at around mid-calf.

• Love 3

Fit and flare is the highest, below the natural waist. Trumpet flares lower, around mid-thigh. Mermaid starts at around mid-calf.

Great description. The mermaid looks hard to walk in sometimes.

• Love 1

Thanks for the photos, @sleepyjean! That blue one is puzzling. It's like that danged Lazaro that it seems like 100 woman have bought although it hasn't looked good on any of them.

I didn't mind the dress with the attached neckpiece, but I agree that these women need to put their hair up during appointments, if only for my benefit.

(edited)
I didn't mind the dress with the attached neckpiece, but I agree that these women need to put their hair up during appointments, if only for my benefit.

It surprises me that women going to a store to try on gowns, and know they're going to be on tv trying on gowns, don't wear the right undergarments, put their hair up, or wear shoes they can slide into and out of so they don't have to walk around the store in their bare feet.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 1

Man, watching reruns this weekend and cheerleader coach(?) bride annoyed me.  All the made up words.  Clexy made me want to vomit, as well as clamorous.  You can't just mix classy+another word to become something new.  It's like fetch - it's not going to happen.

• Love 1
Man, watching reruns this weekend and cheerleader coach(?) bride annoyed me.  All the made up words.  Clexy made me want to vomit, as well as clamorous.  You can't just mix classy+another word to become something new.  It's like fetch - it's not going to happen.

I think that was just one of those things that is an inside joke, and if you're inside, it's sooooo funny. But if you aren't, it just sounds moronic. How many cheerleaders have they had on this show anyway? That storyline is played out. Ditto for bride with dead mother, bride who overcame a disease, and bride who lost a lot of weight.

I'm still not clear on the difference between mermaid, trumpet, and fit and flare.

The only definition of these, in my opinion, is "hideous on most brides with the possible exception of those with stick figures". 

• Love 3

Tonight's special snowflake of a sister in law was AWFUL! Being proud that you've scared off all of your brother's girlfriends? Child, have several seats. I hope that relationship is strong because if sister is already causing problems it's gonna be a longggg marriage.

Widow bride looked gorgeous in everything she tried on and is totally marrying a man who looks like her first husband.

• Love 1
Tonight's special snowflake of a sister in law was AWFUL!

There have certainly been any number of horrible people on this show over the years, and I've forgotten most of them, but that SIL has gotta be one of the worst. As ever, I wonder why the other people in the entourage DON'T SPEAK UP.  Why did the bride's mother seemingly let a 19-year-old snot run the appointment? That spineless bride was so cowed she was actually considering buying a dress she disliked just to appease a brat. A pox on you!

what was wrong with the bitch who had to see the skirt sewn on and couldnt buy if it was pinned on? She was a head case. I wanna HAH-LO I want a HAH LO I'll get MAH HAH-Lo! She wanted it already in her size in the exact length with the hah-lo just that needed no altering or she wasn't going to buy it. I wonder if you can order a HAH-Lo online or get one at a cheaper place. 

There have certainly been any number of horrible people on this show over the years, and I've forgotten most of them, but that SIL has gotta be one of the worst. As ever, I wonder why the other people in the entourage DON'T SPEAK UP.  Why did the bride's mother seemingly let a 19-year-old snot run the appointment? That spineless bride was so cowed she was actually considering buying a dress she disliked just to appease a brat. A pox on you!

Why WAS she getting away with that behavior? Wasn't her mother there? If it was my child, I would have snatched her up and had a "come to Jesus" meeting with her that she'd never forget. That poor bride. Unless she starts standing her ground now, she's going to have to deal with that BS the rest of her life or for how long the marriage lasts.

• Love 3