Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
aquarian1

HGTV: Now With a Lot Less "G"

I haven't really watched much HGTV in awhile; Flea Market Flip is a kind of guilty pleasure.  But I was channel surfing last night during World Series commercials and came upon what seems to be a new show.  From Fixer to Fabulous; at least I think that was the name.

It is obvious that the network is desperately trying to find the new Chip and Joanna.  And familee.  The hosts seemed nice enough, and I am sure they are.  But they kept interspersing scenes of their kids with scenes of the couple chatting.  There may have also been pets. The couple whose house was being redone also had small children.  More scenes.  Click.  

• Like 1

I suppose HGTV is looking for the new Chip and Joanna, but they marathon Fixer Upper almost every day! HGTV - Fixer Upper is over (thank goodness), so just bury it.

• Like 2

I would be so into a show that didn't go all "ooh family". Just fix up a house, please. Decorate a bedroom.  Whatever. I don't need the "feels" from a backstory.It's HGTV, not People Magazine tv.

• Like 7

I think HGTV is going for the Hallmark fan.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some of the mysteries.  But "family" viewing is Hallmark's meat and potatoes.  Sweet, sappy and happy-ever-after.  It's okay, I get it.  That particular kind of programming is just not my cup of tea.  

It's no use complaining about HGTV; they are apparently very successful; they aren't going to change the formula.  But hours and hours of flipping couples; hours and hours of Property Brothers is, for me, really tired.  Hours and hours.  But I do enjoy House Hunters if they are looking in interesting areas.  Although the manufacture drama gets old...he wants vintage/she wants open concept...she wants Craftsman/he wants a city loft.  Near the bars and restaurants.  Now get off my lawn.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 2

On 10/30/2019 at 10:17 PM, txvoodoo said:

I would be so into a show that didn't go all "ooh family". Just fix up a house, please. Decorate a bedroom.  Whatever. I don't need the "feels" from a backstory.It's HGTV, not People Magazine tv.

Call me crazy, but I miss Decorating Cents.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, txvoodoo said:

I just realized it's been weeks since I watched HGTV. Am I alone? There's nothing compelling, it's all repeats from before. 

I love every iteration of house hunting shows, so I have HGTV on every day, although I will not watch the overexposed property brothers or love it or list it. Why they run marathons of reruns of the now canceled Fixer Upper mystifies me - won't watch them either. I did enjoy the design and gardening shows, but they never inspired me to do anything. But the now rare cooking shows on Food Network rarely inspire me to make a recipe. More just entertainment.

• Like 1

A former HGTV, or maybe DIY show, Leave it to Bryan, with Bryan Baeumler, is on BYU network.
I'd never have looked there, by search his name in my Uverse search, and this popped up.
Not his best show, that was Disaster DIY, but he's still nice eye candy.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, auntjess said:

A former HGTV, or maybe DIY show, Leave it to Bryan, with Bryan Baeumler, is on BYU network.
I'd never have looked there, by search his name in my Uverse search, and this popped up.
Not his best show, that was Disaster DIY, but he's still nice eye candy.

Thanks for reminding me about that station. Not long ago I re-watched Lark Rise to Candleford on that station. Of course Lark Rise is not a home show,  but an above quality miniseries. I will pay more attention to the BYU network!

• Like 1

Does anyone know if there are going to be new shows produced for 2020?  By new, I mean different hosts/formats?  Because.  During the holidays I have been searching for something to get my decorating/rearranging juices flowing.  Or at least pique my interest.

This last week (at least) the network is marathon-ing the same shows constantly.  Hometown, the show with Mina and her mother (I actually like this one), Property Brothers and Fixer Upper.  Constantly.  But I have mainly seen Hometown and Mina et al.  But occasionally I will flip the remote and see reruns of the Rocking the Block show, also the awful woman from Chicago.  And now there is a familee show from Arkansas?  Fixer Upper clones.  Is there any sense that the flip shows have worn out their welcome?  That the network can grab onto another upcoming trend, capitalize on it and run it into the ground.

Sometimes I will happen onto a Flea Market Flip marathon...which the Network seems to be phasing out.  

• Like 1

Great American Country channel runs Flea Market Flip ad nausea, sometimes for 48 hours. Same with My Lottery Dream Home. PBS has garden and a few decorating shows.

Is "My Lottery Dream Home" the one with David B?  I like him but hate the show.  So basically, HGTV is Groundhog Day?  Same shows, same themes, over and over.  I hate to sound so negative, really.  I wish one of the other networks did some decorating/gardening shows; they used to.  Christopher Lowell and others?  Maybe TLC or some such - but now they are basically realty shows 24/7.  I don't get Great American Country.  You would think that HGTV has a huge vault of shows they they could grab from once-in-awhile.  Maybe there is a problem with getting the rights to these shows.

We get the Living Well network and I enjoy some of the programming ...Lisa Quinn has a decorating show but I think it is mostly reruns; also, they show one called "Knock It Off" which also seems to be reruns.   But.  I think HGTV is laughing all the way to the bank; they seem to be hugely successful.

• Sad 1

HGTV gave up on design shows a long, long time ago.  And garden shows before that.  I remember when their design shows used to do special Christmas decorating episodes.   I thought once TLC and HGTV came under the same ownership that they would move Trading Spaces over to HGTV and try to restart they home renovation/decorating craze.  Instead they cancelled TS.  It appears they have no intention of moving away from the Flipping Network. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I liked the Dream Home this year and the decorating is pretty solid.  I even enjoyed the special because they didn't make it into one big commercial likes it's been in the recent past.  Yes, everything is sponsored, but they did it mostly by showing boxes or how things worked instead of screaming sponsor names over and over again.  Well done!

• Like 1

On 10/3/2018 at 6:55 PM, catrice2 said:

Hi I'm looking for a super watch her here. I don't have a lot to give but there is a show that came on possibly in the 90s or late 80s on HGTV and it was a dark haired guy that will show you how to decorate an apartment or a rental property, usually in the apartment with ideas of what to do if you couldn't make permanent changes. I can't remember what the name of that show was

Chris Lloyd? The last name seems a little off but I am not sure how off.

the show with Mina and her mother (I actually like this one)

Me too. Normal people, with reasonably priced homes and expectations, who clearly enjoy each other's company.  Plus some interesting design choices (not all shiplap and subway tile!)

• Like 2

I am watching One of a Kind and what the hell is with Grace’s designs? Music wallpaper on the fireplace? Love letters on the wall? She is not really a good designer to be honest 

Edited by DVDFreaker
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DVDFreaker said:

I am watching One of a Kind and what the hell is with Grace’s designs? Music wallpaper on the fireplace? Love letters on the wall? She is not really a good designer to be honest 

I made it through about 10 minutes of one of her shows. We complain HGTV doesn't have design shows anymore and they give us this crap.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DVDFreaker said:

It seems her "designs" are very ...well, specific.  I was looking forward to this show; I thought they had finally found a great decorating/design show.  With no flipping.  Has the squealing by the homeowners (well, usually the wife) bothered anyone but me?  Makes my ears hurt.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kemper said:

It seems her "designs" are very ...well, specific.  I was looking forward to this show; I thought they had finally found a great decorating/design show.  With no flipping.  Has the squealing by the homeowners (well, usually the wife) bothered anyone but me?  Makes my ears hurt.

I would have been very upset if I see love letters on the wall, love letters are very personal and I do not want family, friends, and children reading that! 

• Like 2

On 1/16/2020 at 2:16 PM, chessiegal said:

I'm looking forward to Unsellable Houses. I hope it's like Buy Me that was on Canadian HGTV.

Just caught a couple of episodes. Does it have its own thread?

12 hours ago, Lola16 said:

Just caught a couple of episodes. Does it have its own thread?

It does now!