Type keyword(s) to search

HGTV: Now With a Lot Less "G"

• Start Topic

I HATE when HGTV runs Fixer Upper marathons as I quit watching the show years ago. The show is out of production. Give it up already, and run other shows. It was especially irritating this afternoon as I was channel surfing waiting for the new Beachfront Bargain hunt avoiding Fixer Upper.

• Love 3

It seems there are Fixer Upper marathons at least once per weekend; and several times during the week, too.  I think.  The network will never give it up; at least not until Chip and Joanna come out with a new show.  

It seems the whole model of the formerly Scripps network channels are marathons. I remember 3 or more years ago timing my visits to the gym based on a few shows I liked following one another for watching while I was on the treadmill. Now all of them seem to run rerun marathons. Must be a business model that works.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Now all of them seem to run rerun marathons. Must be a business model that works.

Saves on production costs, that's for sure.  
On one of the Discovery channels, Discovery Family I think, they were showing a marathon of Yard Crashers, possibly back to Ahmed Hassan's time.

He's studied horticulture,  but then they went to people who were about placing huge things in yards, rather than plants.

Hi I'm looking for a super watch her here. I don't have a lot to give but there is a show that came on possibly in the 90s or late 80s on HGTV and it was a dark haired guy that will show you how to decorate an apartment or a rental property, usually in the apartment with ideas of what to do if you couldn't make permanent changes. I can't remember what the name of that show was

27 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

Hi I'm looking for a super watch her here. I don't have a lot to give but there is a show that came on possibly in the 90s or late 80s on HGTV and it was a dark haired guy that will show you how to decorate an apartment or a rental property, usually in the apartment with ideas of what to do if you couldn't make permanent changes. I can't remember what the name of that show was

I can't think of the name of it ... but I remember it, too.  Was the host Michael something?  It was a really good show; of course those were the days where they would show people who actually rented places.  Or show how people decorate their houses/condos or make them more functional. 

I remember something a bit later, because I didn't have cable until 2004, but it might have been older show.
The decorator was a woman who was pregnant in a lot of the episodes.
A person found a place to rent, but wasn't what they liked, and she show what could be done, and do it if tenant liked it.

1 hour ago, catrice2 said:

See if this link jogs a memory: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:HGTV_original_programs

• Love 2

The one I was thinking of was Home to Go --but the host was a man--they would do really simple inexpensive makeovers for renters.

The host was Peter Fallico I think.

The other one I can think of waslater--F or Rent with Jodie Gilmour---she would help them look for the apartment, advise them on the lease and then come up with a design for the new apartment.

Not sure if either one is the one you are thinking of.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, car54 said:

The one I was thinking of was Home to Go --but the host was a man--they would do really simple inexpensive makeovers for renters.

The host was Peter Fallico I think.

The other one I can think of waslater--F or Rent with Jodie Gilmour---she would help them look for the apartment, advise them on the lease and then come up with a design for the new apartment.

Not sure if either one is the one you are thinking of.

I really enjoyed the Jodie Gilmour show and am surprised we never saw her after that show was over. I also loved Designers Challenge, Designed to Sell (which had Clive as the host and Lisa was the designer), and Sensible Chic.. IMO, they were all better than what HGTV has now. 

• Love 2

Does anyone actually love to watch a marathon  of Dream Home...or whatever the name of it is.  I used to love David Bromstead (sorry if I didn't spell correctly) - but he just sets my teeth on edge this go-round.   I think, out of all the bad, boring, irritating, awful, tacky, infuriating shows on HGTV ...this, for me, is the worst.  Well, this and what would seem to be constant promos for Dessert Fllippers.

27 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Does anyone actually love to watch a marathon  of Dream Home...or whatever the name of it is.  I used to love David Bromstead (sorry if I didn't spell correctly) - but he just sets my teeth on edge this go-round.   I think, out of all the bad, boring, irritating, awful, tacky, infuriating shows on HGTV ...this, for me, is the worst.  Well, this and what would seem to be constant promos for Dessert Fllippers.

I liked David when he won one of the early seasons of Next Design Star or whatever it was called. But for some reason, I just never warmed up to him as a host. I can’t stand those commercials for Lottery Dream Home and although I watched a couple of episodes a long time ago, I can do without it. There’s not much on this channel that floats my boat these days. Although I know the decisions are made when the show is filmed, I’ll watch House Hunters and HHI if it’s in Europe, especially UK and France. I am so sick of the twin brothers and their marathons.

edited to add: this time of year, I am more interested in all the FN Halloween competitions.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I can’t stand those commercials for Lottery Dream Home and although I watched a couple of episodes a long time ago, 

The house looks a lot like the one we see Vanilla Ice doing in his promo.

• Love 2

Goodness, I'm probably behind, but I watch a lot of HGTV online with an Amazon Fire stick and I did an update last night and suddenly there are ALL the shows.  Before I had access to mostly current shows but now the updated app has a ton of older shows I loved like Design on a Dime, 2 of Vern Yip's shows, the gardening shows, lots of things I have not seen for years.   I watched a show I'd never seen that was about Genevieve Gorder -she bought the apartment next to hers and made one big apartment.   I can only take so much of Gen, but it was only 6 episodes and her place turned out beautiful except I thought putting a soaker bathtub in her office.   She was planning to have co-workers and clients there so that seemed strange to me.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, car54 said:

Goodness, I'm probably behind, but I watch a lot of HGTV online with an Amazon Fire stick and I did an update last night and suddenly there are ALL the shows.  Before I had access to mostly current shows but now the updated app has a ton of older shows I loved like Design on a Dime, 2 of Vern Yip's shows, the gardening shows, lots of things I have not seen for years.   I watched a show I'd never seen that was about Genevieve Gorder -she bought the apartment next to hers and made one big apartment.   I can only take so much of Gen, but it was only 6 episodes and her place turned out beautiful except I thought putting a soaker bathtub in her office.   She was planning to have co-workers and clients there so that seemed strange to me.

I had no idea! Guess I’m gonna have to get someone to set me up with that device. And I agree, I can’t take much of Gen either.

• Love 1

I'm liking Desert Flippers.  They're cute and fun and don't try to overdo they're cuteness like Chip and JoAnn. 

I agree.    He is funny but not as big a goof as Chip.   I have been watching several of the flip shows recently and I notice with some--including this one--that in the first season,  they start out being pretty careful with the budgets, doing more of the work themselves, and by the second season, the budgets are much bigger, and they have crews doing most of the work--the formula seems to be they talk a lot about all the issues with the house, then talk a lot about the money---then something goes wrong that isn't planned, then they fix it, stage the hell out of the place, and sell it for a profit.     I"m sure as they have to crank out a full season they have to distill things down to that to produce that many flips.   I do miss the brother that was on the first year--I thought he was pretty good an he seemed to have some skills that they used a lot.

I do think on Desert Flippers she has a really good eye for the style of houses they do--very modern, lots of color, lots of tile.    She does a pretty good job.

• Love 1

Holmes and Holmes.  New show (new to me,  anyway) with Mike Holmes & his son, where they buy something & renovate.  They've bought (or Mike has anyway) a home on 5 acres out in the sticks & they're hoping to fix it up & sell it for over a million dollars.  It looks gawd-awful so far.  Mike Holmes is still a giant pain in the ass, but his son is cute.

Edited by Tanichka
  • Love 1

Watched a bit yesterday before family get-together...there was a block of shows on featuring homeowners looking a beach homes.  But to live in full-time, not vacation; it wasn't bad and a nice change from Christmas-movie-marathons (the Ralphie one, Scrooged, etc.); I enjoy the movies but had my fill.  After maybe the third beach hunters, the network went with maybe 12 hours or more of Chip and Joanna!  How many times have some of these shows been rerun?

I hardly ever watch HGTV due to the endless marathons (oxymoron, I know).  Nothing but Brothers and flippers.  I am over the tacky flip couples (except Boise Boys)..and same-looking interiors.  

It must just be me that can't stand these shows; someone (many many ones) must watch and live for this stuff.  I have ranted about this before and know it is useless.  I sure do wish another channel or two would put on some real decorating or home improvement shows.  I guess I will have to be content with the re-booted Trading Spaces (without Hildy) and Nick and Jeremiah (Is that the name of the show?).

12 hours!!!!!!

• Love 2

I’m not a fixer upper fan, I like the couple, but all the designs look the same and don’t seem that inspirational.  I guess I just prefer color to black and white and ship lap.  Hgtv has really declined with absolutely no G now.  New Years used to be about the parade and premieres but other than the dream home show nothing is “new”today.

I cannot figure out why the would think putting wayfair furniture in an expensive to build house would make it desirable.

• Love 3
On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:07 AM, Kemper said:

Has anyone watched Windy City Flip?  Wasn't the host/flipper a one-time House Hunter?

Alison Victoria is an interior designer who has been on other HGTV and DIY shows.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Alison Victoria is an interior designer who has been on other HGTV and DIY shows.

Thanks.  They had a House Hunter on years ago who kind of looked like her; she bought a house that was kind of rough and rehabbed it.  She enjoyed the process so much that she quit her day job and started flipping houses.  I don't remember what city she lived in.

She is really attractive but her highighted hair was distracting; it was not ugly or anything; but the highlights were pretty obvious.  I think that look is in style right now.  But this is just another flip show that I am sure will be marathoned after 6 months or so.  This network is trying so hard to find another Chip and Joanna-type host/hosts.  

I loved both of those shows as well.

ION Life has been showing episodes of For Rent on Saturday afternoons.  The cable guide has them as new but I'm not sure if they actually are.  The channel also shows Color Confidential (another old favorite) and some other HGTV and PBS decorating and gardening shows from the 2000s.

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Love 1
On 1/3/2019 at 7:07 AM, Kemper said:

Has anyone watched Windy City Flip?  Wasn't the host/flipper a one-time House Hunter?

There were a couple of episodes of this last year, or the year before, but it wasn't on long.

Alison Victoria did the Kitchen Crashers show.

I actually saw a marathon (maybe a mini-marathon) of Windy City Flip recently.  Didn't watch...the host absolutely exhausts me.  I did see the end of one where she rehabbed an apartment building.  I especially loved the showing(s)...she would take people around and tell them things like "this is the bathroom" - as they were gazing at a claw foot tub, sink, etc.

Will Christina M/A still be doing the show with her ex?  I did not read the article...will it be on HGTV?  

I was browsing the HGTV site yesterday and they had added a show with Oprah Winfrey--and at first I thought, oh cool, Oprah has some fancy houses I'd like to see.   But no--it is simply a show with Oprah interviewing famous people like she always does--nothing to do with home design or real estate.    Seems odd.  I assume OWN and HGTV share some kind of common ownership or something.

Well today this network hit some sort of milestone - a show called House Full of Spouses.  I must admit the title peaked my interest.  I looked at the description; the premise was a husband and wife team who were renovating a house for.  Wait for it.  A polygamist family.  Check please.

• Love 4

Man, this network is so boring now.  All the shows are under the same genre: house buying, flipping, or decorating.  They might be tonally different ("folksy" type shows like Fixer Upper or Home Town vs more urban shows like Flip or Flop Vegas and Property Brothers) but once you've seen one, you've seen them all.  And the new ones on the lineup are the exact same thing.

But their blandness also makes them ideal for background noise.  I've noticed that HGTV is now the default TV station in doctor's offices, hospitals, and gyms.  It's no longer daytime TV or the local news.

• Love 4

My son goes to the hospital monthly for an infusion treatment; he had never seen Property Brothers and said it wasn't bad.  (He is a relatively new homeowner)  Plus his only exposure to HGTV before this is when he visits or his dad and I visit him.

I told him that was good since they have a new show; combined with their other shows, they will soon be able to have their own channel.  Wait!  Isn't that what The Fixer Uppers have done?  By the by...the network is still marathon-ing their shows; haven't they been out of production for at least a year?

And yes, the network now is mostly white noise for me.

• Love 2
On 6/15/2019 at 6:58 PM, chessiegal said:

I won't be watching any channel these 2 homophobes have anything to do with. Shame on Discovery!

Me either. I've had people elsewhere call me a jealous hater when stating that I don't like them. Something has always seemed off about those two. They give off the same fake and flaky vibe I've always gotten from Joel Osteen and his wife.

• Love 3

Does anyone know when the Gaines'show will be starting on whatever network?  I am so glad to be rid of the constant marathons...and it seems that almost anytime I have tuned in these last few weeks, Fixer Upper is on; so maybe once they are on the other network, HGTV will not be able to show them anymore?  (A blessing)  But.

I wish the network would stop trying to make Christina happen.  Granted, she is an attractive-looking package; until she starts talking.  

I saw where the Chicago flipper...the attractive woman with the long dark hair (who I don't watch) is in trouble with the City?  And maybe a partner, if she has one.  Something to do with permits or some such.  This could be a blessing; if they have to stop production, we would be spared marathons. 

On 6/17/2019 at 2:56 AM, Jaded said:

Something has always seemed off about those two. They give off the same fake and flaky vibe I've always gotten from Joel Osteen and his wife.

The fake and flaky seemed to come about right about the time they went from being "The Gaines" to The Untouchable Magnolia co.

• Love 2