Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: Faces

Trini
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, mookster said:

I know I was supposed to be touched by it all, but I was grumpy by the unbelievable-ness of it all, and due to my grumpiness, I interpreted certain scenes grumpily:

- The poor mother wandering the halls of the hospital with no relative, no social worker, no anyone to help her through what had to be an unfathomably traumatic event

That bothered me too actually especially during the walk of honour.  That woman just had to see her daughter alive for the very last time and let her go through those doors and there was not a single soul there to comfort her.  She doesn't even have a single friend?  

• Love 5

One question: why 11 hours away? From a storytelling aspect I get that they wanted t make the drive a challenge, but wouldn’t 3 hours away have worked and made it a tad more realistic. By the time they headed out on their 11 hour one way drive they had already been at it for at least a few hours. So this poor Uber driver drove them around for like 30 hours with no sleep. Sorry but I’ve driven 10 hours in one day and about passed out at the end. It didn’t make the gesture more grand it just took me out of the story because of how dumb it was.

i love this show but that was the best most unrealistic face transplant ever. No one looks that good after one of those! The walk of honor did choke me up and a few tears escaped my cold hard heart. 

• Love 4
On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:00 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

I'm not sure if the Walk of Honor is a real thing, but I have never seen so many employees of the hospital before.

https://www.babble.com/parenting/schnieders-honor-walk/

5 hours ago, mookster said:

- The serendipitous elevator ride - would never happen.

Mom of the donor said at the end to Claire (or was it Reznick?): "thank you for timing that elevator ride perfectly"

• Love 2

The face transplant was probably ridiculous, but I still teared up about it. The guest actors all really sold it, I felt so much for everyone involved. I mean, I have seen some videos of face transplants before, and they never look that good, but I guess TV is gonna TV. 

On the one hand, I really like that the show is focusing more on the other doctors and not just Shaun, as when the show first started it seemed to be a one man show kind of deal, but on the other hand, I wish that Shaun had more to do lately, especially with the last few episodes. I wish that he had more friends at work to bounce off of again. He and Claire hardly have scenes anymore, and he hasn't really connected with any of his other co-workers like he did with Jared. I still miss Jared. 

I mean, dont get me wrong, I still love this show, but I hope we see more of that focus in the future, at least for a bit. 

• Love 7

The whole face transplant story was very touching.

Glassman was more pleasant this episode, although he still took time out from being stoned to yell at the Uber driver, who was much more helpful than she needed to be.  

It was nice that he apologized to his old classmate, but the fact that he wrote that in her yearbook in the first place shows that he was a dick even then.

Apparently they don't do drug testing at St. Bonaventure Hospital.  Otherwise Shawn could be in trouble.

Next episode looks interesting, a new chief of surgery who isn't sympathetic to Shawn's quirks.

• Love 2

I am just not enjoying the show as much. This episode was a pretty good reason why.

- Firstly, despite her (appreciated) limited appearance, I still don't get why Resnick was made a series regular. She was so thoroughly unlikable last season and simply nothing they've done or--as far as I can think of--they can do, other than completely overhauling the character, can make her likable. And if they do that... well, what's the point of having her on board other than as a villain? And this show doesn't need a villain-like character such as her. I simply can't stand her. I honestly loathe her. I resent any screen time she takes away from the other characters.

- I liked Melendez and Lim as friendly/bickering rivals. The episode where they first slept together, I was hoping throughout the whole thing that the show would not go there with them... and then it did. *sigh* And now we're here and it sucks because here is boring. And, in my opinion, Nicholas Gonzalez and Christina Chang just do not have any sexual heat or chemistry. Nada. Their scenes, which once were fun, and full of platonic, one-upmanship banter between long-term rivals based on skill and confidence have been reduced to pathetic 'I like you, but it's making our workplace atmosphere complicated' {sad face} dramaz! Oh noes!

- I WANT MORE CLAIRE! THE WORLD NEEDS MORE CLAIRE!

- I WANT MORE CLAIRE AND SHAWN! Lordy, I can't even remember the last time they worked on a case together!

- Speaking of Shawn... echoing what others have said, yeah, can we get back to Shawn being the center of the show that is titled The Good Doctor, Shawn being the afore-mentioned good doctor? This came on Monday, but I just got around to watching it now because I'm just not as interested anymore. Yes, it's good that the other characters are rounded out, but my goodness, Shawn should be the main character, not just ONE of the characters. And in this episode, he was just a supporting character to Glassman's story.

- At least, the Glassman story wasn't FF-worthy, though, if only because Shawn was in it. Thank God for small favors, because normally, yeah, I don't even bother watching Glassman anymore, and I normally enjoy the heck out of watching Richard Schiff, but, man, this story is so dreary and Glassman is so unpleasant.

I miss the show I loved so last season. I want that show back.

• Love 6
On 05/02/2019 at 1:29 PM, Evagirl said:

IMO, this show is turning into a regular night time medical show.  What made this show stand out for me was "the good doctor" - Dr. Shaun Murphy/Freddie Highmore.  Now if "the good doctor" is really about the other physicians on staff as well, they should have called it "The Good Doctors".  All the side drama makes it just like any other medical show. 

Exactly. And not even a good medical show. Too many absurd plots and resolutions, too much drama between doctors and patients, too little character development. I'm hoping against hope they will go back to the original premise. Otherwise, I'll just go back to old ER/Grey's episodes. Much better than anything going on here.

Just a side note: what the hell are they doing with the Melendez-Lim relarionship? I mean, is there a relationship? All we see is them talking about their romance, but not really living it. Where is the love? Where is the passion? Why are those people together? We had one assexual scene in the bed, some quarentine-induced suffering, one kiss, and some quick conversations about how they shouldn't be dating. Well, maybe they shouldn't, since they don't  seem to care one bit about each other. I've seen robots emote more.

Seriously.

Edited by maddie965
  • Love 3

I fully agree on wanting more Shaun and Claire interaction, both professionally and otherwise. I always love their scenes together, and the friendship they have, and I want to see that explored further and more deeply. 

• Love 7
15 hours ago, mookster said:

I know I was supposed to be touched by it all, but I was grumpy by the unbelievable-ness of it all, and due to my grumpiness, I interpreted certain scenes grumpily:

- The serendipitous elevator ride - would never happen.

They said that Claire arranged it - I am picturing her and the patient riding up and down in the elevator for like 45 minutes waiting for the mom to leave the chapel

On 2/6/2019 at 10:30 PM, maddie965 said:

Just a side note: what the hell are they doing with the Melendez-Lim relarionship? I mean, is there a relationship? All we see is them talking about their romance, but not really living it.

We've really only had 2 episodes with them together as a couple. At its core, this is a medical show, so most of the time is going to the medical cases, not the relationships. So, I'm not really surprised we haven't seen much of their relationship yet. Also, I think the writers do that on purpose - give you a little at a time so you keep watching. I was definitely expecting a little more screen time with Lim and Melendez in the episode with the patient with the mechanical heart, but Shaun and Glassman seemed to take over. I guess that was necessary to lead in to this week's episode (Shaun & Glassman's Uber trip).

I watched an interview with Nicholas Gonzalez (a post-show thing on YouTube: https://youtu.be/m7ja7VdSK_o) the other day. He obviously couldn't give away details, but he mentioned that we're going to be getting to see more of Lim and Melendez. He said: “There’s some real beautiful, grownup, mature relationship stuff going on.” Sounds like we'll be getting more development of their relationship going forward.

Edited by MVN-Hokies
  • Love 3
On 2/7/2019 at 6:57 AM, AEMom said:

That bothered me too actually especially during the walk of honour.  That woman just had to see her daughter alive for the very last time and let her go through those doors and there was not a single soul there to comfort her.  She doesn't even have a single friend?  

I think that was the sly reference in Aftermath when they talked about no one having friends.  There are an awful lot of single mums and dads who are widows/widowers and patients with only one support in the series.  Fact is the cost per episode must be quite high including the star of the week and the idea is every scene must convey the story along so the focus is on fewer people.  Think about all those extras in the Walk of Honor which I'm glad I found out was a real thing and was very moved by.  BTW the woman who played Shannon was wonderful in the role; truly a gifted actress.  The actors said there were some real tears filming that scene and I can see how that might happen.  So for what the show loses in almost necessary normal medical demarkation/behavior it gains in heart.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

My thought was that Glassman, Shaun and Uber-Mo did stop to eat and rest -- with Glassman paying for her off-Uber time at Uber rates. 

Quick jaunt to google which says that the average pay of the president of a major hospital is $1.7 million per year.  I'm guessing - grouch though he is - that the cost of this quest would be well above Uber rates.  They did mention taking a break.  Only a man like Shaun, utterly clueless to money like the titular St Bonaventure, could have cracked Glassman's heart.  He loves him like a son.  Shaun Glassman?  I like that even if it comes down to Shagl Assman!  Only the simplicity and nobility of the quest could have cracked the Uber driver's heart.  She was up for it.  Sounded like a college professor topping up her income.  And they found their holy grail.  Come to think of it, if the theme around House was Sherlock Holmes were they admitting that the theme around The Good Doctor is Arthurian?  Hmm I'll need to think about that.  I think the idea is to finish the narrative when Shaun becomes an attending.  Right now he is a lowly knight on the heroes' journey...

Edited by doctor destiny
On 2/6/2019 at 5:37 PM, rmontro said:

Apparently they don't do drug testing at St. Bonaventure Hospital.  Otherwise Shawn could be in trouble.

“...There are different types of drug testing including: 

Pre-Employment testing that occurs after a conditional offer of employment is extended;

Reasonable Suspicion testing that is based on the employer’s reasonable suspicion that the employee is under the influence of drugs, based on objective and observable factors, such as employee appearance, speech, and/or behavior in the workplace;

Post-Accident testing following a workplace accident; and

Random or Periodic Testing during employment.

State laws on drug testing in the workplace vary considerably so it’s important to review and comply with applicable state and local laws...”

https://1sthcc.com/4-laws-that-impact-drug-testing-of-healthcare-employees/

If he would have shown up for his shift visibly impaired, or caused an accident, then yeah, he’d definitely have cause for concern!

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, kicotan said:

If he would have shown up for his shift visibly impaired, or caused an accident, then yeah, he’d definitely have cause for concern!

But, he is already under investigation for being curled up in the fetal position at work, drugs in his system doesn't help his cause.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, doctor destiny said:

Quick jaunt to google which says that the average pay of the president of a major hospital is $1.7 million per year.

Wow, that's pretty good money.  No wonder he's so snooty  🙂

1 hour ago, kicotan said:

“...There are different types of drug testing including: 

Obviously I was talking about random drug testing.  Recreational marijuana is legal now in California, but as far as I know that doesn't mean an employer has to allow use of it, especially if they think it could have a negative effect on an employee's judgement, and especially in a a place like a surgical hospital. 

I'm not saying that it would have an effect on a doctor's judgement, but I'm sure there are people who think it does.  Also, if there is a lawsuit, a doctor having drugs in their system might look bad.

• Love 2

How long does marijuana stay in your system? I would hope that Shaun would be smart enough to not return to work until it had cleared his system just in case of a random drug test. He mentioned that he had plenty of vacation days to take.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, MVN-Hokies said:

How long does marijuana stay in your system? I would hope that Shaun would be smart enough to not return to work until it had cleared his system just in case of a random drug test. He mentioned that he had plenty of vacation days to take.

For one use, I think it's like 1-3 days in most tests.

• Love 1

Again, unless Shaun shows up to work high or otherwise clearly impaired by his marijuana usage, I don't see how it could be used against him. A doctor who gets stinking drunk on their day off and doesn't come in with a debilitating hangover has nothing to apologize for. In the state of California, there's no real difference. It's a different matter in a Federal Case, but why would it get Federal?

• Love 1
20 hours ago, doctor destiny said:

if the theme around House was Sherlock Holmes were they admitting that the theme around The Good Doctor is Arthurian?  Hmm I'll need to think about that.  I think the idea is to finish the narrative when Shaun becomes an attending.  Right now he is a lowly knight on the heroes' journey...

To go with that theme, Shaun would end up as the President of the hospital, with the doctors being his Knights of the Round Table.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

Again, unless Shaun shows up to work high or otherwise clearly impaired by his marijuana usage, I don't see how it could be used against him. A doctor who gets stinking drunk on their day off and doesn't come in with a debilitating hangover has nothing to apologize for. In the state of California, there's no real difference. It's a different matter in a Federal Case, but why would it get Federal?

CDC might analyze it as part of a review, but they don't have any enforcement - they might find Shaun's reaction helpful - since the CDC researches things beyond things like smallpox and horrible epidemics 😛

14 hours ago, jhlipton said:

To go with that theme, Shaun would end up as the President of the hospital, with the doctors being his Knights of the Round Table.

Okay, I like where this is going, but who is the Lady of the Lake? 

18 minutes ago, bros402 said:

Okay, I like where this is going, but who is the Lady of the Lake? 

Well Morgan(a) Le Fay.  Lea has to be Guinevere.  Jared was definitely Sir Galahad.  Merlin has to be Glassman.  So that leaves Claire as the Lady of the Lake.  

Shaun drops his stethoscope into the pool at their home.  Lea goes to retrieve it but hands him another by mistake.  I think we can all agree that she's the closest to a "watery tart", and the one Shaun would most like to "handle his sword", wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

• Love 2

I enjoyed the out-venture of Shaun and Glassman. He had the road trip with Lea last season, so it's only appropriate he has the same good time with Glassman. Not only that, but Glassman solved a long-time bother for himself (with his high school crush) and he saw the janitor he knew in high school again. I do high hope that they tipped that Uber driver BIG TIME though, to make it worth her while of driving them back and forth all that way.

I just watched this episode once so far, a couple of days ago, so I forgot, did Shaun call in to work or did he take a vacation for the trip? Everyone else was at work but him.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Virtual said:

I just watched this episode once so far, a couple of days ago, so I forgot, did Shaun call in to work or did he take a vacation for the trip? Everyone else was at work but him.

He said he took vacation days.

On 2/10/2019 at 8:09 AM, PinkRibbons said:

It's not that simple.  Many employers in California have rules against recreational drug use and one is notified of that and that they may be subject to random drug tests when hired.  It's a condition of employment at many places.  Doesn't matter if it's a legal drug.  As your term of employment you agreed to not do drugs.  I'm assuming many hospitals have this. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, JenMcSnark said:

It's not that simple.  Many employers in California have rules against recreational drug use and one is notified of that and that they may be subject to random drug tests when hired.  It's a condition of employment at many places.  Doesn't matter if it's a legal drug.  As your term of employment you agreed to not do drugs.  I'm assuming many hospitals have this. 

The cannabis rules were referenced in season 2 episode 1 with the neuro-oncologist being reinstated but having to have weekly tests.  It was Glassman's last act as president.

• Love 2

Does anyone ever wish that the grieving parent just says no, sticks to it and then when asked a second time sues the life out of the hospital for emotional trauma? 

NOW that would be an awesome storyline! 

• Love 2