Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E16: Hāpai ke kuko, hānau ka hewa (When Covetousness Is Conceived, Sin Is Born)

• Start Topic

Hawaii 5-0 is not known for brick jokes so I laughed hard at Danny's effortless snark about how the bad guys would want to bury the money "somewhere your dog wouldn't dig it up". Junior's reaction was equally priceless.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

I was like, "Holy crap. Are they setting up this heartwarming story with the homeless guy, and in the end he dies???"

No, just showing us how utterly useless Adam is to the main plots (and how neither of them signed for more than about 50% of their conversations).

40 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Are there just too many characters on this show? 

YES!!  I don't know what the point of the deaf guy was either.  It just seemed like really random filler.  If they want to showcase the actor, why not have him be a witness to a crime and Five-0 has some trouble with communicating with him.  It's a cop show, so write the guy into a cop story.  Duh.

• Love 1

"Do you think I'd kill my wife for money?"
Danny - Yes. 

At least he's not pulling any punches. 

I was also baffled by Adam, as I usually am. The only reason why he's there is because the other Asian actors left. 

Honestly, what does Adam do that Kona doesn't? 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2

My dog is a better actor when she's pretending she didn't try to steal a snack from the other dog than that guy in the driveway who they shot. 

Which of course, just shoot and ask questions later even if the guy you shot holds the key piece of information that might get kids killed. Five 0!

Caan was actually good in this one. 

The whole mermaid thing was hilarious, and the actor looked like she was having a total blast. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

YES!!  I don't know what the point of the deaf guy was either.  It just seemed like really random filler.  If they want to showcase the actor, why not have him be a witness to a crime and Five-0 has some trouble with communicating with him.  It's a cop show, so write the guy into a cop story.  Duh.

Tying the deaf guy into the actual crime being investigated would have been better I agree. The amount of main cast members on this show bores me though and most of them seem to be some sort of intended comic relief. 

I get that the point of Adam's side-story was to very explicitly tie into his recognition of the family he still has, and the older actor was good, but I was not really into it. And this is coming from someone who loves Adam! I just think the writers have never known what to do with him once they made him a regular. Honestly, I feel like they did a better job progressively easing Jerry the fringe conspiracy theorist into a support position on the team than they did with Adam. They really messed up not having him leverage his organized crime expertise in a proficient way. (Last season's disaster was unspeakable.) As it is, he's on the team because he's Steve's jilted good friend, and that's a shame.

Anyway, I have definitely noticed this past season or so that they sometimes have everyone but one team member working. Besides the episodes where Caan doesn't appear at all, Danny wasn't working during the hurricane/storm episode, and he didn't even get called for an emergency once the hitman was brought in for safekeeping at the Palace. Grover wasn't working that one episode earlier in the year with the super-hot temperatures (the one where he spent the day torturing that poor caddy on the blazing hot golf course). I don't think Grover was working on Thanksgiving, either, during that awful Thanksgiving episode Chi McBride wrote, though that is a holiday.

33 minutes ago, sweetandsour said:

They really messed up not having him leverage his organized crime expertise in a proficient way.

What baffles me is that this is the easiest way for the character to fit into the show. They could have had him run the restaurant so he could be a regular and then have him help out on cases. Write more stuff about the Yakuza so he can be involved more. Is it really that difficult? 

• Love 1
On 2/23/2019 at 9:22 PM, jhlipton said:

No, just showing us how utterly useless Adam is to the main plots (and how neither of them signed for more than about 50% of their conversations).

I don't understand why they spent half the episode either on a useless story involving Adam.  His signing was terrible.  What's the point of having Adam still on the show?  He could go off on a search to find Kono and I wouldn't miss him a single bit.

Wonder if the 5-0 producers are sick of seeing the Rodan and Fields ads taking over their Facebook feeds as well and decided to make a statement.

On February 26, 2019 at 1:38 AM, greyhorse said:

Wonder if the 5-0 producers are sick of seeing the Rodan and Fields ads taking over their Facebook feeds as well and decided to make a statement.

Hahahaha... Between the R&F, Nerium, Beach Body, and God knows what else a hundred of my "friends" push, I was all in for this episode. I never got so pushed that I had to unfriend someone like Tani, but boy have I been tempted.