Type keyword(s) to search

Y: The Last Man - General Discussion

Message added by starri,

As we get closer to the show's debut, I'm going to ask that we keep discussion of the comics plot points out of the discussion until they appear on the show.  If you'd like to discuss the comics more broadly, please mosey over to the thread in our handy Comic Book forum

Thanks.

• Start Topic

So why didn't Hero go with Yorik? Are we really supposed to believe that she is that brainwashed? I mean she killed one of the other Amazons for him. That doesn't make sense.

But what even more doesn't make sense is that the prison gang just let the Amazons they murdered a bunch of their friends without provocation. What in the hell?

Also how do all these people keep finding each other in the middle of sowhere on a massive continent?

On 10/1/2021 at 6:41 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

Either Yorick or & could have a genetic, inherent immunity to the virus, correct? Not one that they developed from having been exposed to a version of the virus and developing antibodies or some other reason.

Incorrect.

If so, that genetic mutation could allow Y or & to create antibodies, which then they transmitted to the other.

That's not how antibodies work.

Also, the assumption that this is all a virus may be ill-founded. Normally viruses don't just strike everywhere at once equally like the one in the show does. 

Short of an alien Y-chromosmo-destruction-ray nothing would hit everywhere at once. We got to just accept the premise as given. That doesn't however mean that we have to accept all other bullshit that is in conflict with the world they set up.

Finally, even assuming that it is a virus and a virologist/immunologist should be the first line of investigation,  a geneticist might still be useful in order to make sure that the X factor that protected Y/& can be passed on to fetuses so that there could be male children again. 

That's still not how genetics work.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/29/2021 at 3:53 PM, KaveDweller said:

It sounded like she was just saying she missed taking her pill a couple of days, not that she deliberately went off it.

Whatever the case, if she got pregnant after women were already miscarrying -- if I heard that correctly -- I'm curious what that means for the longer timeline. (Not that it matters if the show doesn't get picked up by someone else, granted....) 

12 hours ago, Zonk said:

So why didn't Hero go with Yorik? Are we really supposed to believe that she is that brainwashed? I mean she killed one of the other Amazons for him. That doesn't make sense.

I took it as Hero trying to keep the other Amazons away from Yorick. She seemed happy he was alive, and only told Nora, who has kept her mother’s identity a secret. If she’d gone with him, I’d think it’s more likely they’d assume she’d been taken or betrayed them for a man and go after her to rescue or kill. Letting him get away allows the rumors of a biological male to stay rumors. I thought she only threatened him to get him away from the Amazons, but I can see how that would make Yorick think she’s brainwashed.

• Love 1

The fact that Hero ultimately shot the other Amazon does not mean that she wasn't brainwashed. From what Yorick was able to observe, Hero was an active collaborator in a mob eager to kill him just because he was a man, as well as willing to kill numerous women because they stood in the Amazons' way.

That she snapped out of it long enough to save him doesn't make her any less brainwashed, particularly from Yorick's perspective. How else to explain how someone he grew up with as gentle, who was in the business of saving lives now can be about taking them? Indeed, if Yorick had been Joe Schmo instead of her brother, there's a very good chance that Hero would have shot him herself.

As to why Hero didn't join Yorick and company, I would hazard to say that it was for similar reasons to why she didn't go to D.C.: she couldn't face the shame of what she had done and become and dealing with Yorick looking at her that way.

On 11/2/2021 at 2:32 AM, KaveDweller said:

Sam just bumps into Jennifer and Beth while they are in hiding? Or was that in some place he would have known to look for them?

They were in Jennifer's house in DC, it's where Sam was headed to look for Jennifer, because if you knew the president, and it was the apocalypse, you'd likely want to leverage that acquaintance. I'll assume because Sam was Hero's best friend he knew where her mum's house was.

that was a very strong season finale, i think this show deserves to be picked up, that doesn't mean it will be but it will be a loss if it isn't. I'm not without hope though.

Edited by BasilSeal
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, BasilSeal said:

They were in Jennifer's house in DC, it's where Same was headed to look for Jennifer, because if you knew the president, and it was the apocalypse, you'd likely want to leverage that acquaintance. I'll assume because Sam was Hero's best friend he knew where her mum's house was.

Thanks! I missed that it was her house, I thought they were just hiding out in some empty house they found.

This was definitely the best episode so far.  Too bad that it was the season (and maybe series?) finale. 355, Yorick and Allison have really gelled together nicely.

The Amazons haven't been my favorite storyline but I did feel for them trying to "ambush" the former inmates.  They really were walking into a suicide mission and had no clue (though maybe the nearby prison should have been a clue?).  Also, add me to the the list of people who were surprised that the Amazons were allowed to retreat safely with no repercussions.  It's not like the former inmates didn't have any infrastructure to hold a couple of hostages.

Overall, I do hope this show gets picked up by another network.  And if they do, maybe they could take this as an opportunity to rethink some of the storylines (even if it means deviating from the source material)?  I think the universe is fascinating and they have some good actors but I just don't care about most of the characters (except for 355, Allison, Jennifer's aide who is pregnant and maybe Yorick who is slowly growing on me).

• Love 2
5 hours ago, zenithwit said:

Also, add me to the the list of people who were surprised that the Amazons were allowed to retreat safely with no repercussions.  It's not like the former inmates didn't have any infrastructure to hold a couple of hostages.

I wonder if because of their former experiences the inmates didn't believe in punishing the amazons for past mistakes once they've stood down and surrendered.

• Love 1
On 11/2/2021 at 9:27 AM, Zonk said:

Hero doesn't seem to like the rest of her family that much, she may well love them because they're her family but that doesn't mean she has to like them or want to be with them. She's purposefully horrible to her mother in the flash back, but she's also visibly upset on hearing the news that the president has been killed. Hero is by all accounts pretty messed up, i don't believe she buys into the man hating rhetoric that drives the Amazons, but she stays with them because they accept her for what she is and allow her to be herself.

That's why she doesn't go with Yorick, she doesn't want to go back to being the self destructive and self hating person she was.

On 11/5/2021 at 8:26 PM, zenithwit said:

Overall, I do hope this show gets picked up by another network.  And if they do, maybe they could take this as an opportunity to rethink some of the storylines (even if it means deviating from the source material)?  I think the universe is fascinating and they have some good actors but I just don't care about most of the characters (except for 355, Allison, Jennifer's aide who is pregnant and maybe Yorick who is slowly growing on me).

If the show is picked up, it needs two massive changes:
1) They need a new showrunner.  Someone who can tighten up the story, let boring characters like Hero and Beth go and focus on the fun characters, mainly Allison, 355 and Yorick.

2) They need to scrap massive parts of the comic.  

Spoiler

Fridging 355 is dumb, it's sexist and it's a worn-out trope that needs to die a fiery death.  And the resolution -- the cause and what's done after is even more dumb than what they've done so far.  I think I stopped reading after 355's death, and reading spoilers about the rest of the story made me glad that I did.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Things I hope change if some other network picks up the series:

1. Focus on the core of Yorick, 355 and Allison, with minimal time devoted to Beth, Jennifer, or most of the other first season characters.

2. To the extent that we have to have the Amazons as a recurring group of villains, minimize them and Hero too.

3. Do some more world-building. I would like to see more about ordinary women trying to make it in this post-apocalyptic world. I think some of the more interesting parts were the memorials that were done for/about men.

4. There should be a better balance both of the sense of impending doom and depression that would pervade so much, balanced with some of the absurd humor of the comic book. A show about a guy named Yorick should have much more jest to it.

5. I really really hope that they deviate from the current course and have 355 catch feelings for Yorick and vice-versa, or at least, do it more believably. I would have a hard time believing that this 355 would ever be interested in the manchild that is Yorick, or that this Yorick would, given that he's the world's most eligible bachelor, would give up on his relationship with Beth and fall for 355. 

• Love 1

Some additional info on the cancellation:

Why was FX on Hulu so quick to cancel Y: The Last Man?? –Dave

Four months after you mailed this question (this is why I never thrown them out, people!), we now have more detailed (and frankly damning) insight. “There aren’t that many shows we’ve canceled in the last 20 years,” FX chairman John Landgraf said at TCA last week, “but one thing they all have in common is they all have a very, very steep decline from the first episode to the final episode of the season, a much steeper decline than the shows we renewed…. I really loved Y: The Last Man, personally…. But I will tell you that its audience decline was really, really, really steep. And ultimately, that’s what made us go that direction.”

https://tvline.com/2022/02/23/chicago-med-pd-spoilers-halstead-brothers-reunited/

• Useful 1