Type keyword(s) to search

Y: The Last Man - General Discussion

Message added by starri,

As we get closer to the show's debut, I'm going to ask that we keep discussion of the comics plot points out of the discussion until they appear on the show.  If you'd like to discuss the comics more broadly, please mosey over to the thread in our handy Comic Book forum

Thanks.

• Start Topic

‘Y’ Showrunners Exit Upcoming FX Drama Series Based On DC Comic

The showrunners behind the upcoming DC Comics-based drama series Y have parted ways with FX. Aida Mashaka Croal tweeted today that she and Michael Green “are grateful for everyone who came together to make our pilot and build the world of Y. … We hoped to reward their talent and their trust not just with success but with a show that had something to say, in a time when things must be said.

FX said the duo exited over creative differences. The network is moving ahead with the series and cast and is just starting the process of finding a new showrunner.

A premiere date! This might actually exist!

https://tvline.com/2021/06/03/impeachment-american-crime-story-premiere-date-fx/

" FX also announced that Y: The Last Man, based on Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra’s popular D.C. Comics title, will begin streaming on Monday, Sept. 13, on FX on Hulu. The series “traverses a post-apocalyptic world in which a catacylsmic event decimates every mammal with a Y chromosome, but for one cisgender man and his pet monkey,” the show’s synopsis states. “The series follows the survivors in this new world as they struggle with their efforts to restore what was lost and the opportunity to build something better.” Ben Schnetzer, Diane Lane and Amber Tamblyn star. "

• Love 1

"Yes, let's region-lock a trailer. God forbid people outside America might be interested and want to give us money."

I don't blame you, AnimeMania, you're just sharing what you found. I'm blaming the idiot of an exec who thought it was a good idea.

Here's a version that works in Australia.

Profile Images

Ben Schnetzer as Yorick Brown ("A survivor adrift in a new world.")

E8dP8LIUcAIuGaF.jpeg

Diane Lane as Congresswoman Jennifer Brown ("A leader by necessity.")

E8dQAa7UcAAhjyx.jpeg

Ashley Romans as Agent 355 ("A special agent with the only mission that matters.")

E8dP2bfUYAENTsw.jpeg

Disney Plus will launch the first three episodes of DC Comics’ much-anticipated series adaptation of “Y: The Last Man” on Sept. 22 in the U.K. via its Star offering for adults, with new episodes made available each Wednesday thereafter. 

• Love 1

There was probably an announcement or interview about this that I missed, but it looks like all the episodes are written and directed by women.

Episode descriptions:

The Day Before

101 -- 9/13/2021

On the eve of the worst crisis in human history, Congresswoman Jennifer Brown clashes with the President. Her children Yorick and Hero reach an emotional crossroads. None of them know their lives are about to change forever.

Written by: Eliza Clark, Directed by: Louise Friedberg

102 -- Would the World Be Kind

Spoiler

9/13/2021

After a mass casualty event wipes out every creature with a Y chromosome, President Jennifer Brown responds to the crisis. Yorick fears he may be the only survivor. Hero attempts to right a wrong.

Written by: Eliza Clark, Directed by: Louise Friedberg

103 -- Neil

Spoiler

9/13/2021

With Jennifer and Yorick reunited, Agent 355 pitches a plan for what comes next. The dead President's daughter, Kimberly, circles Jennifer's secret. Meanwhile, Nora Brady and her daughter Mack say goodbye to home.

Written by: Katie Edgerton, Directed by: Daisy Von Scherler Mayer

104 -- Karen and Benji

Spoiler

9/20/2021

On Jennifer's orders, Yorick and Agent 355 search for a geneticist who can unravel the mystery of how he survived. Meanwhile, Hero and Sam encounter a dangerous group of women.

Written by: Donnetta Lavinia Grays, Directed by: Destiny Ekaragha

105 -- Mann Hunt

Spoiler

9/27/2021

Yorick and Agent 355 search for Dr. Allison Mann in war-torn Boston. Back in D.C., Jennifer hides the truth about Yorick from her political rivals.

Written by: Tian Jun Gu Directed by: Mairzee Almas

106 -- Weird Al is Dead

Spoiler

10/4/2021

Yorick, Agent 355 and Dr. Mann hit a snag on their way to San Francisco. As the search for 355 heats up, Jennifer clashes with former cabinet secretary Regina Oliver, who has her eyes on the presidency. Hero is seduced by a charismatic leader, Roxanne, as Sam and Nora grapple with their place in a dangerous group of survivors.

Written by: Catya McMullen Directed by: Destiny Ekaragha

• Love 1

3 episodes in and that damn monkey is already on my last nerve.

OTOH really digging 355. She totally sabotaged that other helicopter, right?

And I feel as though Yorick should be slightly more concerned about finding his sister than the woman who turned down his proposal, was willingly moving to another country without him and admitted to wanting to “meet” other people.

• Love 8

S01.E01: The Day Before

Seemed like a waste of an episode, most of what they establish seemed to be undone when the virus occurred. They introduced so many people (women) that I can't recognize them all. It was a little weird that none of the women appeared to be in a happy relationship. The world should be in greater chaos if all the male animals died. The ground should be littered with dead bodies and if they are not removed, there should be disease every where and a horrible stench.

S01.E02: Would the World Be Kind

Kind if makes women seem incompetent. Doesn't any on them know how to do the essential services jobs that keep cities running. The story is going nowhere, just spinning it's wheels, is a single man really that important. Why would no one loot an ambulance full of medical supplies. Why wouldn't they remove all of the dead people off of the streets. Siphon all the parked cars for gas to run generators. Why does Yorick's phone still have juice. I would think people would be huddled together in large groups.

S01.03: Neil

There was about enough content in these 3 episodes to make 1 episode. There was way too many people sitting around and political backstabbing for my taste. They are focusing too much on individuals, when I am more interested in what is happening to the country and the world as a whole. With half of the population dead, you think there would be plenty of food to go around. I sure wouldn't be picketing out in front of the White House, there should be plenty of cars with the keys still inside and wallets with the people's home addresses, time to do some scavenging.

• Love 3

I’m hooked.  I’m a fan of the comics, and this is really good so far.  I have questions about certain details, but I’m in until they screw it up.

(I have MUCH more to say, but it’s all spoiler related.  It would be best if I spare everyone.)

• Love 2

I watched the first three episodes. I have not read the comics. So far this is really good. I wish there had been more dialogue about why only animals and men died. Why were the women rioting and living on the streets, why didn’t they stay in their homes. Kind of disappointing they felt they couldn’t make the world work anymore without men. And bury the dead, leaving them laying around wasn’t hygienic. 
Also ironic that the only man who survived is kind of a wiener obsessed with his pet monkey. I was kind of hoping he had gotten lost in the subway. 
Sarah is badass, she totally did something to make that helicopter crash. 

• Love 1

I like this show, but for three whole episodes not that much happened, right? I guess that is why they had to air three at once, but I'm not that confident that the show will pick up the pace. Maybe this is more a "wait till the whole season is out and binge" kinda show.. We'll see. I'll give it two more episodes watching on release day.

Why do they need to keep Y such a secret? Just lie and say he was intersex at birth, genetic tests were inconclusive and you decided to raise him as a boy. Who is going to find out otherwise or even question it? Literally all men but trans men are dead. Nobody would think that he was the exception.

22 hours ago, surfer said:

3 episodes in and that damn monkey is already on my last nerve.

Did they take the monkey to the geneticist? He should make for a good test subject.

And why aren't they sending teams to the flat? If the moneky is also male, the cause for both Y and him surviving is more likely environmental than genetic. You don't even have to tell the team about Y. Just them about the monkey. That should suffice.

Is there nobody with two brain cells left who could figure out that if a male human and a male monkey survived in the same apartment it's likely not genetic? I doubt madam president gave birth to the monkey.

21 hours ago, surfer said:

OTOH really digging 355. She totally sabotaged that other helicopter, right?

Of course she did. I was wondering the whole episode how she was going to kill them and the pilots probably should have gotten suspicious when they were suddenly in a seperate helicopter...

19 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

The world should be in greater chaos if all the male animals died.

I'm not sure if it should be in greater chaos right now, but there is basically no coming back from it. All the ecosystems will collapse in 1-2 years.

If it's just mammels, that's a damn hard blow, but maybe survivable. Not quite sure...

Doesn't any on them know how to do the essential services jobs that keep cities running.

I mean it's like 99% men in these dirty jobs. So probably actually: no.

Somehow all the media ever talks about is how there should be more women CEOs, not more women garbage collectors or plumbers. Well CEOs don't repair the heating in your apartment. So good thing this show is purely hypothetical.

There was about enough content in these 3 episodes to make 1 episode. There was way too many people sitting around and political backstabbing for my taste. They are focusing too much on individuals, when I am more interested in what is happening to the country and the world as a whole. With half of the population dead, you think there would be plenty of food to go around. I sure wouldn't be picketing out in front of the White House,

Yeah, they should really save the political backstabbing for season two, when the world is already established.

• Love 4

God what a terrible, boring, letdown of a show.  I've never read the graphic novel it was based on, but CHRIST, it can't be as painfully dull as this show is.

The writing is just plain bad, I was just so disappointed that such a potentially interesting idea just goes for the blandest pot each and every time.

Like, why can't we watch women realize that the power needs to be kept on (in a scene longer than 15 seconds) and that water needs to be clean and that heat needs to come on and then TRY to figure it out? Women who live on farms raising the alarm about needing to seed, calve, harvest etc?   We see women walking around, talking in the background, making decisions but THEY aren't the story.  Why not? Why is Kimber the shit disturber a focal point? Why are we spending even one second on a black hole like Hero?

The amount of time WASTED on that stupid idiot and his fucking monkey was laughable by the 3rd episode.  Like this is what time is spent on? Easily the most boring character in a sea of other boring characters?

This is what they envisioned for a world with just women? This is the best that could be conceived? What a waste.

• Love 5

I wonder what happened to women who are about to give birth to boys? Is this a one and done where males have no problem surviving after the event or will whatever is killing males continue to kill them.

Why didn't it happen all at once, it seems like there were a few animals that died days earlier till it reached a tipping point where all the males died.

3 hours ago, Zonk said:

Did they take the monkey to the geneticist? He should make for a good test subject.

I don't think Yorick would leave without that stupid monkey, just like Yorick won't look at another woman if it isn't that stupid Beth, even though he can have any woman of the planet.

3 hours ago, Zonk said:

And why aren't they sending teams to the flat? If the moneky is also male, the cause for both Y and him surviving is more likely environmental than genetic. You don't even have to tell the team about Y. Just them about the monkey. That should suffice.

Supposedly the entire area will be underwater in a few hours, that is convenient plot point.

Two and a half episodes in, didn't read the source material. 

I have some real issues with Yorick... billions are dead, and he doesn't try to contact his mom? 

He shows up in DC and immediately starts criticizing how things are run ( worried about the dead carrying diseases Mr. Wades into a Flooded NYC Subway to Look for a Monkey?)

Not to mention asking Diane Lane to find his g.f. by sending critical resources to Cleveland. 

( Don't get me started on the damn monkey)

I just wish the ( presumably) last man in the world had one redeeming quality. A flawed character I can take, this guy's an idiot. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Zonk said:

If it's just mammels, that's a damn hard blow, but maybe survivable. Not quite sure...

According to what I read about the show description 

Spoiler

It is just male mammals. Birds, reptiles and amphibians are fine- things will change regarding eco-systems but the planet will survive.

2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I wonder what happened to women who are about to give birth to boys? Is this a one and done where males have no problem surviving after the event or will whatever is killing males continue to kill them.

That is a good question. I wonder if  fetus/embroys with Ys have died in utero or not. Also what about all of the embryos currently in storage that have Y chromosomes. What about the frozen sperm that is Y? (I dont expect you guys to have answers to this I am just wondering).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

It’s really tough for us book fans to have a discussion about this show without getting into spoiler territory, but for all the people who have not read the comics and have questions or issues: I hear you, and there ARE answers.  Hopefully the show will let you in on them soon.

• Love 5

Eh.  Maybe I'm just not the target audience for a post apocalyptic show?  I found the initial scenes of Sarah's secret missions, the political intrigue and Jennifer trying to hide that her marriage had crumbled,  and even the weird subplot with Hero accidentally killing her lover, a lot more compelling than the actual main plot of the show.   And now most of that doesn't really matter after the first episode.  I know it's based on a graphic novel series, but if it hadn't been ... I would've maybe enjoyed the story if animals and people were dying off in troubling and increasing clusters but people were working to figure out what and trying to prevent it happening to all males (and then some of the personal subplots would've mattered).  

Yorick - I can't really get into his character for some reason.   Maybe it's the annoying monkey?     

• Love 1
17 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Supposedly the entire area will be underwater in a few hours, that is convenient plot point.

Even more of a reason to send a team there now and take everything, including stuff that is nailed down. The survival of the human race might depend on it.

19 hours ago, Vella said:

Women who live on farms raising the alarm about needing to seed, calve, harvest etc?  

I think the calve-thing is out the window. They could still breed chickens, I guess.

15 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Also what about all of the embryos currently in storage that have Y chromosomes. What about the frozen sperm that is Y? (I dont expect you guys to have answers to this I am just wondering).

A virus or bacteria can't exactly infect deep frozen tissue. So they are fine for now, but probably can't be implanted until they have a cure.

• Love 1

Another series with extremely bland, non-distinct Canadian actors in supporting roles. Swell.

Diane Lane, Amber Tamblyn and the actor playing Agent 355 are fine. The others, not so much. I could give a s**t about Marin Ireland’s character, for starters. She’s not a bad actor but I’ve never seen her in anything where she’s actually compelling.

Welp, I guess we better start encouraging more women to go into the blue collar trades. 

Yorrick is trifling. Beth definitely dodged a bullet. 

Poor Hero. If she'd just waited a few moments, she wouldn't have had to feel guilty for her lover's death. 

Loving Agent 355. I'm truly intrigued by her. Due to the covert nature of their work, her colleagues had become like family. 

Amber Tamblyn's character is a more polished, mature version of Meghan McCain. 

• Love 5
On 9/14/2021 at 3:49 AM, Vella said:

God what a terrible, boring, letdown of a show.  I've never read the graphic novel it was based on, but CHRIST, it can't be as painfully dull as this show is.

Haven't seen the show yet, but I've read some of the graphic novel and it's known for its zany humor, and you're not the first person I've seen complain that they didn't carry that over.

On 9/14/2021 at 6:24 AM, AnimeMania said:

I wonder what happened to women who are about to give birth to boys?

Wouldn't they have died in the womb already?

I really wanted to love this show, but I'm disappointed so far. 

I don't mind that the last male is annoying and shallow because of course he would be, and his little monkey too.

But the women also tend to blend together to me, and it seems like a lot of key moments are skipped over. I don't watch a lot of TV, so this is probably not a relevant reference, and it's definitely not a timely one. But, my favorite apocalyptic show is Battlestar Galactica. The exposition scenes in that show contain so many iconic, character-establishing moments, especially the moment Roslin realizes she is next in the line of succession for president and takes the oath of office. With this show, there are few memorable moments. I don't even remember how the Diane Lane character finds out she is president.

I did like some moments, like when the new president talks the woman engineer into going to work despite her grief. It's discouraging but probably accurate that there are not enough trained women to take up the slack when it comes to basic infrastructure. Living through the Ida aftermath right now, I wonder if we would ever get our garbage picked up in the Y universe. 

Agent 355 is by far the most intriguing character. I might keep watching just to see what happens with her. I loved the fake-out where it seemed like she had won the pilots' loyalty but then just blew them to smithereens. I might keep watching just to see what happens with her.

20 hours ago, Sesquipedalia said:

With this show, there are few memorable moments. I don't even remember how the Diane Lane character finds out she is president.

Unless I missed something, I don't believe they even showed this. There were lots of time jumps over what I think would have been interesting scenes right after all the men died.

There was a scene of people talking about the chain of command and trying to find someone, I guess the only female options. Then they cut to days later and Diane Lane was president. The explained in another scene that since there was no one left in the chain of command, she was voted speaker of the house and then bumped up to president.

• Love 1
On 9/13/2021 at 6:08 AM, AnimeMania said:

S01.E01: The Day Before

Seemed like a waste of an episode, most of what they establish seemed to be undone when the virus occurred. They introduced so many people (women) that I can't recognize them all. It was a little weird that none of the women appeared to be in a happy relationship. The world should be in greater chaos if all the male animals died. The ground should be littered with dead bodies and if they are not removed, there should be disease every where and a horrible stench.

S01.E02: Would the World Be Kind

Kind if makes women seem incompetent. Doesn't any on them know how to do the essential services jobs that keep cities running. The story is going nowhere, just spinning it's wheels, is a single man really that important. Why would no one loot an ambulance full of medical supplies. Why wouldn't they remove all of the dead people off of the streets. Siphon all the parked cars for gas to run generators. Why does Yorick's phone still have juice. I would think people would be huddled together in large groups.

S01.03: Neil

There was about enough content in these 3 episodes to make 1 episode. There was way too many people sitting around and political backstabbing for my taste. They are focusing too much on individuals, when I am more interested in what is happening to the country and the world as a whole. With half of the population dead, you think there would be plenty of food to go around. I sure wouldn't be picketing out in front of the White House, there should be plenty of cars with the keys still inside and wallets with the people's home addresses, time to do some scavenging.

The ground was littered with dead people as shown in the first episode. One can imagine that it would be a major undertaking trying to remove the dead bodies of half the population, made even more complicated by the trauma of everyone losing half the people they know, the dire longterm prospects for food and for future generations of humanity, etc. If something like this happened in real life to either gender, a lot of people would be paralyzed with the trauma of it all. Think of how 9/11, an explainable event that resulted in like 3,000 deaths, struck the U.S. Now multiply the death toll so that it's 4 billion worldwide with no explanation and maybe it will be more readily understandable why people had not simply taken care of business.

The show had made reference to looting and scavenging. Presumably, some people have hoarded more than their share of food, while other food had spoiled due to lack of power. 

A single man is potentially that crucial to study him and determine a possible cause/cure and as a symbol.

On 9/13/2021 at 10:26 PM, Straycat80 said:

I watched the first three episodes. I have not read the comics. So far this is really good. I wish there had been more dialogue about why only animals and men died. Why were the women rioting and living on the streets, why didn’t they stay in their homes. Kind of disappointing they felt they couldn’t make the world work anymore without men. And bury the dead, leaving them laying around wasn’t hygienic. 
Also ironic that the only man who survived is kind of a wiener obsessed with his pet monkey. I was kind of hoping he had gotten lost in the subway. 
Sarah is badass, she totally did something to make that helicopter crash. 

Again, the immediate aftermath of such an immense tragedy would cause massive upheaval, distrust, trauma and so forth.

On 9/14/2021 at 1:52 AM, Zonk said:

Why do they need to keep Y such a secret? Just lie and say he was intersex at birth, genetic tests were inconclusive and you decided to raise him as a boy. Who is going to find out otherwise or even question it? Literally all men but trans men are dead. Nobody would think that he was the exception.

The show has explained at least in part why it is a big deal to keep Y a secret. There is a barely controlled mob at the gates of the White House (and presumably others across the country) who think that the government is behind the death of almost all men. The coincidence of the president's own son would in the minds of such people confirm that government shadiness was behind what was going on and completely destabilize the efforts of the government.

The explanation that he was intersex isn't going to tamp down conspiracy theories about how the President Brown engineered the virus. Lots of people will question it, just as people question all sorts of real-world things that should be beyond questioning. Moreover, at some point that cover story would have to be abandoned if you're going to attempt actual research on Yorick. 

As 355 (aka Sarah) said, somewhere in him may lie the key to analyzing what happened to the men. That is the most important thing for humanity in the show.

On 9/14/2021 at 2:49 AM, Vella said:

Like, why can't we watch women realize that the power needs to be kept on (in a scene longer than 15 seconds) and that water needs to be clean and that heat needs to come on and then TRY to figure it out? Women who live on farms raising the alarm about needing to seed, calve, harvest etc?   We see women walking around, talking in the background, making decisions but THEY aren't the story.  Why not? Why is Kimber the shit disturber a focal point? Why are we spending even one second on a black hole like Hero?

The amount of time WASTED on that stupid idiot and his fucking monkey was laughable by the 3rd episode.  Like this is what time is spent on? Easily the most boring character in a sea of other boring characters?

This is what they envisioned for a world with just women? This is the best that could be conceived? What a waste.

The women realize the power needs to be kept on, water needs to be kept clean, etc. It's just that it was a greater logistical challenge with half the population dead and the attendant grief in the aftermath. The show discussed this in the president trying to talk the one engineer to put her grief aside and focus on the necessary job of getting power back online. 

The framing of the story is that it is about Yorick as the last man, and how he adjusts to being in that position. I sometimes wish that they had done a different framing for the series and the comic, because the larger world and most of the other characters are more interesting. But as long as Yorick is going to be the focus, there is going to have to be some attention paid to his mother and his sister Hero.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

The show has explained at least in part why it is a big deal to keep Y a secret. There is a barely controlled mob at the gates of the White House (and presumably others across the country) who think that the government is behind the death of almost all men. The coincidence of the president's own son would in the minds of such people confirm that government shadiness was behind what was going on and completely destabilize the efforts of the government.

The explanation that he was intersex isn't going to tamp down conspiracy theories about how the President Brown engineered the virus. Lots of people will question it, just as people question all sorts of real-world things that should be beyond questioning. Moreover, at some point that cover story would have to be abandoned if you're going to attempt actual research on Yorick. 

Of course there are always going to be some conspiracy theorists. But most people will just believe it, because the truth is much more unbelieveable.

You know what will really make people suspicious? If after half a year it comes out that he's still alive and it comes out that the president tried to keep it a secret. That's going to be a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

6 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

As 355 (aka Sarah) said, somewhere in him may lie the key to analyzing what happened to the men. That is the most important thing for humanity in the show.

They can still do that in secret, with that one disgraced scientist and they can give the monkey to all the official scientists. Why they never even discussed that is beyond me, btw.

Just say you found a male monkey, done. You don't have to tell anybody where it came from.

10 minutes ago, Zonk said:

Of course there are always going to be some conspiracy theorists. But most people will just believe it, because the truth is much more unbelieveable.

You know what will really make people suspicious? If after half a year it comes out that he's still alive and it comes out that the president tried to keep it a secret. That's going to be a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

They can still do that in secret, with that one disgraced scientist and they can give the monkey to all the official scientists. Why they never even discussed that is beyond me, btw.

Just say you found a male monkey, done. You don't have to tell anybody where it came from.

It doesn't so much matter the number who believe in the conspiracy is small if they are going to be very active. I think we are living through in real life examples of people buying into all sorts of conspiracy theories despite no evidence or logic supporting them.

Yes, there will be consequences to having hid the existence of Yorick down the line. But sometimes you just have to make it so that future society has to deal with that. Perhaps once more order is restored, people will be able to understand why they held back the info about Yorick, or to appreciate it is pure coincidence that the president's son survived where all the other men have died. Perhaps not. Perhaps they think that they can keep Yorick's existence a secret well beyond a half year. Perhaps after a half-year, it might come out that he's not the last man. 

It's a good point that it would make more sense to split up Yorick and Ampersand and to have them studied separately. I can't think of a good reason to not do that, other than Yorick is a whiny man-child and wouldn't want to be separated from Ampersand, in which case screw him. The fate of the world is at stake. 

• Love 1