Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 2/4/2019

Jaded
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Exactly.  I read the article on the website, which also provided Neeson’s recorded words.  He went out looking for a black man. Any black man.  In fact, his words were he was looking for “some black bastard” to walk out of a pub so he could have a reason to beat him.  He did this for an entire week.  

Neeson has only voiced regret that revenge is wrong - not that he wanted to attack any black man, regardless of their inocence.  He even drudged up the violence in Northern Ireland to excuse it away. 

In his own words he asked his raped friend two questions: Did you know him, and what color was he.  To immediately jump to color in a country as homegenously white as Northern Ireland (1% black in population) is problematic in itself, IMO. 

I’ve never had a problem with Liam Neeson. But the fact that he still thinks revenge is the sole lesson in the decades that have past, and that he has repeated this tale over and over without some sort of ammendment to this story, shows he’s still clueless. 

It seems like he was looking for a surrogate to quell his rage. I know my analogy is going to be quite extreme, but a trait often found in serial killers is that their victims are surrogates for something else. I didn't personally read the situation as him wanting to target a black man because he's black, but more to target a black man because of what he represented to him after his friend's traumatic experience. There are people who are taught to fear things without genuine reason and there are people who fear things because of situations that happen to close to comfort and it develops a prejudice (either long-term or short-term) that doesn't necessarily equate to racism (prejudice, sure). Not to get too far off topic but I definitely understand how violence in his home country may have stoked certain feelings, again, not anything to do with racial superiority but to do with trauma.  My family migrated from a country that had had deep racial tensions that stemmed first from political divisions that fanned the flames of the 'other' all because they couldn't get votes needed from a large segment of the population so it went from political to cultural and racial discrimination. I had an extended family member that was beaten to death during the riots because he was of Indian descent...he was beaten so badly that they had to stuff his face with cotton balls because it was flattened so badly by the metal pipes used to crush his skull in. Given the situation, I don't think the generations of my family that survived that experience were racist because it took them some time to rebuild their faith in humanity, and I believe that by the fact that they overcame that fear and the implicit discrimination that came with it. Now I don't know the details of the Northern Ireland conflict or how closely affected Neeson was by it, but just from my personal experience, I wouldn't quickly chalk it up to an 'excuse'. But I understand that our experiences are all different and it impacts how we see the world and we understand others as well so I'm only providing another side to consider since unfortunately, I have personal insight on what the other side can look like.

Edited by RHJunkie
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

Meghan says she isn't a Trump fan so will she give his address praise or will she give it an honest critique?  Or does she need to have her comments written on blue cards before she says anything?

She may not be a Trump fan but she is a Trump fan apologist.  I don't think she will be completely honest.  I too echo the sentiment that they should not have hired 2 daddies girls for the panel.  Ana should have been made the full time Republican, Abbie never offered the job and MAYBE MM could be the Friday sit in.  Abbie offers nothing.

• Love 18

Regarding Abby, I thought the way she confronted Joy was pretty strange for her.  It was an attempt at a gotcha moment, and Joy looked uncomfortable throughout.  If Abby thought that Joy was wrong or ill-informed she could have just stated the facts of why she thinks pulling out of the treaty was a good thing, not a bad thing, but she was positively goading Joy.  And she never did explain her point, she just kept saying she could talk about it, but then didn't.  All she said was Trump was tougher on Russia than others, which let Sunny chime in.  Weird all the way around.

• Love 20
56 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

I appreciated Sunny saying that his words brought up painful reminders of lynchings of Black men over a mere accusation.

If Liam Neeson had found a black man who he provoked into a fight would that have made him feel better?  I understand he says he realized his feelings were wrong and he changed his thinking but why bring it up now?  I agree with Joy. Some things should be left in the dark.

• Love 15
5 minutes ago, bannana said:

And she never did explain her point, she just kept saying she could talk about it, but then didn't.  All she said was Trump was tougher on Russia than others, which let Sunny chime in.  Weird all the way around.

I think at that point Whoopi interrupted Abby to talk about Black History Month. 

But even before that, I think Joy was waiting for Abby to elaborate on how "tough" Trump has been on Russia (he hasn't been but whatever) and she didn't so that's when Whoopi interrupted.  

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, bannana said:

Regarding Abby, I thought the way she confronted Joy was pretty strange for her.  It was an attempt at a gotcha moment, and Joy looked uncomfortable throughout.  If Abby thought that Joy was wrong or ill-informed she could have just stated the facts of why she thinks pulling out of the treaty was a good thing, not a bad thing, but she was positively goading Joy.  And she never did explain her point, she just kept saying she could talk about it, but then didn't.  All she said was Trump was tougher on Russia than others, which let Sunny chime in.  Weird all the way around.

Me thinks Daddy has been telling Abby things.

• Love 11
32 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

Me thinks Daddy has been telling Abby things.

Doubt it.  Ahbee just wanted to Joy (and others) to think that she actually knows something. 

Ahbee hasn't lived with her parents for years, plus I doubt that it's casual get together/holiday/birthday dinner talk when family gets together.   Ahbee is not that smart and I would guess her father knows it, and --and, if he said anything--it was to cover himself with the party line.

I call B.S. on Ahbee.  And her dad.

And MM..... always.

• Love 16
6 hours ago, Haleth said:

No, Abby, it won't be McConnell behind Trump tonight, it will be Mike Pence. (Why are her ears so red?  They match her lips.)

If I was rich, and had her dumbo ears, I'd have them surgically pinned back.

I sure wouldn't have big, looks like a pencil behind your ear barrettes,  pointing them out even more.🙄

rps20190205_155010.jpg

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, May Jacks said:

Who cares about someone being a "product of their time". What does that even mean. 

We need to at least try to understand being a "product of their time."  It's easier for me because I'm OLD...but it would take too much time to explain here and might be misunderstood.  Times change.  Customs change.  LAWS change. People change.  It never entered my innocent/uneducated mind that the gay kids from my late 50s high school might someday be able to marry...let alone even THINK about it.  Is refusing some leeway when one doesn't have all the facts not another form of bigotry?

• Love 24
3 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I know. Good thing it wasn't a white guy who did it or he would have had to beat the shit out of himself any time he looked in the mirror. He may want to drink a big glass of shut the fuck up and hope another famous white guy says something stupid to make everyone forget.  It shan't be long now.

Too bad he didn't speak before the governor of VA.

2 hours ago, May Jacks said:

Whoopi also thinks Mel Gibson isn't racist because he never called her the n-word to her face. Any celebrity friend of hers is never racist, pervert, woman beater, etc. etc. 

Also, there is no statute of limitations on being racist. Who cares about someone being a "product of their time". What does that even mean. 

They keep refusing to talk about blackface news topics. I wonder why?

Yeah, I was surprised Whoopi was so dismissive until I remembered 1) oh, yeah, celebrity and 2) oh, yeah, Ted Danson.

• Love 21
42 minutes ago, Tosia said:

Doubt it.  Ahbee just wanted to Joy (and others) to think that she actually knows something. 

I wonder how many times she's going to intimate that she has "inside" information until the CIA comes a-knockin' on her door...or Putin's People go a-knockin' on Daddy's door.

1 hour ago, bannana said:

And she never did explain her point, she just kept saying she could talk about it, but then didn't. 

Ya know why I can't talk about that treaty...because I'm IG-NERNT!   Poor Abby, just another unpopular girl at school, lost somewhere in the middle of a large/brilliant/beautiful brood.  Wasn't she smart enough?  Wasn't she pretty enough?  And now...now she's trying anything to fit in, to be popular, to be politically savvy, to be relatable--in the know.  She just can't cut it.  

• Love 10

I am so sick and tired of "I am John McCain's daughter" whose father worked like an animal but could take her 7 phone calls a day as an adult any time of the day or night.

Or expert Russia Abby that thinks McConnell will be sitting behind Trump tonight and wants to chat about pulling of the arms treaty as if she has info on it that we don't.

• Love 21
3 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

The coach is very pleased with her progress...and now this.  NOW THIS!  Are you people never satisfied???

OT but I'm trying to detox from all things Hamilton, and now I have:

🎶 you'll never be satisfied 🎶

playing relentlessly in my head again.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Coffeewinewater said:

No, but they are there to discuss whatever topic the producers want them to.

I think they are all in the morning "Hot Topics" meetings...the Ladies of The View (Whoopi's usually late), their personal producers, AND the Producer-Producers.  Obviously, the ladies are provided topics and Blue Cards...but they also bring a lot of their own minutiae to the meeting and too often it bleeds on us.

P.S.  Meghan is allowed to bring completed Blue Cards from home.

Edited by HaaCHOO
  • Love 9

I just had a less than charitable thought.  Qui, moi ??

Did Meghan suggest/push/beg that Abby be hired on The View so she (Princess McCain) would look even MORE politically savvy?  Or kinda savvy?

• Love 12
5 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

This was in Chicago, where there were clearly defined black and white neighborhoods

That hasn't changed much....if at all.

I've visited Southern states that have more integrated neighborhoods  than we do.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, HaaCHOO said:

We need to at least try to understand being a "product of their time."  It's easier for me because I'm OLD...but it would take too much time to explain here and might be misunderstood.  Times change.  Customs change.  LAWS change. People change.  It never entered my innocent/uneducated mind that the gay kids from my late 50s high school might someday be able to marry...let alone even THINK about it.  Is refusing some leeway when one doesn't have all the facts not another form of bigotry?

You stated this so well. Thank you.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Maybe he's heavily medicated (he's bi-polar.) What's Whoopi's excuse?

Pot ?

Is discussing what temperature of your house really that personal?

I didn’t not really enjoy jackson Jr and his mom segment either.  Some thing was off.  It was a wonderful idea for a book. 

• Love 8
9 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

It's sad that I had to Google TSTL....it fits her so perfectly.

Too Stupid To Live

(in case anyone else didn't know)😂

There’s more than one definition for TSTL.  When I referred to Abby as such, the “S” stood for sweet.  It’s not aimed at a kind person, so much as someone who’s cloying. If Abby were from the the south, she’d be dropping a lot of “well bless your heart”s. 

• Love 7

So Meghan is recycling her blue cards from last night's SotU analysis, re her abortion talking points. Shut up, Meg.  You were wrong last night and you are wrong this morning. 

Loved Joy calling out Meghan and "conservative women like her" for not speaking up against Trump. 

Aaaaand there it is... The latest rap against dear old dad.

Shut up, Abby, with your kumbaya crap.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 21

How many times is Meghan going to repeat the abortion lie?

I was waiting for the "MY FATHER!"

And Abby, shut-up. I hate how she plays dumb. You know why Trump says the stupid shit he says.

Just now, Jaded said:

I tuned in for a second when I saw the post about Whoopi not being there hoping that Ana might be. Ana is in town and was on Late Night with Seth Meyers last night.

Yes! I was so happy to see her on one of my favorite late night shows.

Also no Abby. Shut up, again. She always wants to give him credit for something. Okay, he stayed on script and didn't ramble. Great. 

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I tuned in for a second when I saw the post about Whoopi not being there hoping that Ana might be. Ana is in town and was on Late Night with Seth Meyers last night.

Believe me if Ana was there that would have been my lead! But, I'll still take the Whoopi free Thursday!🤣

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

Also no Abby. Shut up, again. She always wants to give him credit for something. Okay, he stayed on script and didn't ramble. Great. 

If that is standard he is judged on how far have we sunk?  I guess Abby has low expectations of her elected officials.

• Love 19

Honestly, does Meghan not see the obvious retort every time she talks about a failed candidate?  And I'd like her to explain what she means about Joy bastardizing "right wing" beyond saying she's a conservative.  What?  Joy didn't mention you. Another example of Meg playing the put upon victim. 

• Love 22
1 minute ago, Jewell2 said:

I wonder what Meghan’s tone today would be had Trump not talked shit about her Dad yesterday?  I think she would be praising him

Yep. Notice her main issue was Trump talking about her dad and calling Joe Biden "dumb."

• Love 13

They are too nice because no one ever clapsback at Meghan with the obvious retort when she talks about failed candidates. She should never speak on presidential matters in that case cause as she said today if you aren't first, you are last.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, dr. gailey said:

They are too nice because no one ever clapsback at Meghan with the obvious retort when she talks about failed candidates. She should never speak on presidential matters in that case cause as she said today if you aren't first, you are last.

Although I do feel like Joy keeps bringing up Sarah Palin just as a little jab at Megs.🤣

About the Bradley Cooper thing people keep saying that it's just his first time directing. Robert Redford received a nomination and Academy Award win for his directorial debut "Ordinary People". 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, dr. gailey said:

Edited by Jewell2
  • Love 13