Type keyword(s) to search

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I got an Acorn trial just so I could watch the movie today and I have to say... I got so annoyed at Jack and Phryne in the first 15 minutes it took me right out of the movie. Maybe some of it’s my own expectations, thinking the movie would pick up closer to where we left in S3 (no good indication of that... was Jack even going to head to London?!) but Phryne’s flip attitude to Jack (and Jack’s inability to just Say The Damn Thing) really grated. Things started rolling once they started working together and the plot moved forward. I was glad to see Dot, Hugh, Burt, and Cec, if only for a short minute! And I did of course enjoy the end, very much. Hopefully I’ll enjoy it more on a rewatch now that I’ve seen it and gotten my expectations out of the way. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, catray said:

I was glad to see Dot, Hugh, Burt, and Cec, if only for a short minute!

When I was at the special screening a few weeks ago (seems like 100 years ago), at the Q&A afterwards I asked the producers how they had managed to get all the cast together for the movie, given that some of them are very busy as their careers have taken off internationally. I was particularly thinking of Essie Davis and Ashleigh Cummings (Dot). They said that everyone was very keen to be involved and made time for it. They gave the example of Ashleigh, who flew to Melbourne from LA and stayed for just nine hours before flying back stateside - enough time to film her short bit as Dot, and nothing else. Respect.

• Love 3

I enjoyed the movie.  I got a subscription to Acorn TV just so I could watch this.  While it was beautiful to look at and the costumes Phryne Fisher wore were gorgeous, I still felt it was slightly off.  It just didn't seem like a proper Miss Fisher story with Dot, Hugh, Cec and Burt only having cameos.  I also missed Dr. Mac and Mr. Butler and Phryne's fabulous house.  I also missed the Melbourne location.  I also found it amusing that in the credits, Dot was listed as "Miss Dot Williams".  She's married to Hugh and pregnant.  I know she may have become more of a Modern Woman due to Phryne's influence, but I doubt she would keep her maiden name since this was 1929!

• Love 2
13 hours ago, GaT said:

The movie is on Comcast OnDemand, so I guess I'll watch it this weekend.

I just stopped by to say that on Comcast AcornTV is being offered free without having to sign up for a trial.  It is available until April 9th.  

On 3/24/2020 at 1:10 PM, Damaris56 said:

While it was beautiful to look at and the costumes Phryne Fisher wore were gorgeous, I still felt it was slightly off.  It just didn't seem like a proper Miss Fisher story with Dot, Hugh, Cec and Burt only having cameos.  I also missed Dr. Mac and Mr. Butler and Phryne's fabulous house.  I also missed the Melbourne location.  

Slightly off is a good way to put it.  I'll keep my thoughts until more people have seen it, but will say I felt the absence of Dot, Hugh, Cec and Burt, Dr. Mac, and Mr. Butler.  I am happy I got the opportunity to see the movie.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 3/24/2020 at 1:33 AM, catray said:

I got an Acorn trial just so I could watch the movie today and I have to say... I got so annoyed at Jack and Phryne in the first 15 minutes it took me right out of the movie.

oh my god, me too! I just watched it and I'm like???? (im gonna spoiler my thoughts!)

Advanced issues found

Spoiler

I loved Jack and Phryne but this was so ridiculous. Then they spent the entire movie bickering and it just rang so false. What they needed was communication! 

I loved them, but now I'm convinced they'd make a terrible couple. 

And then as to the actual mystery: It could be the fact I decided to get drunk while watching this, but it felt really convoluted to me. Like they really had to drag it out for it to be a movie run time. 

On whole, to me it was a big 🤷🏾🤷🏾🤷🏾🤷🏾🤷🏾🤷🏾

• Love 3

That is not how quicksand works!!!

That aside, I mostly enjoyed the movie. The settings were beautiful; there was high drama.

I did not like how callous Phryne was to Jack during the first part. She may value adventure and righting wrongs over domestic bliss, but the Phryne we know and love tried not to hurt the ones she cares about in the process. Her nonchalant flippancy while Jack was very upset, having thought she died and then seeing her show up and treat him as an afterthought, was incredibly rude. I like it much better when Jack and Phryne are flirting than when they're fighting! At least they sorted it out before the end.

• Love 5

Well, I watched it, but I thought it was just meh. Without the rest of the cast (that 5 minutes at the beginning wasn't enough), it doesn't have the same charm, a Phryne & Jack movie isn't enough. Also, I want to see Phryne Fisher, Lady Detective in Australia, I'm not interested in this "Indiana Jones" type plot, After waiting so long, I'm disappointed.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 11/21/2019 at 4:41 PM, enoughcats said:

About Ms. Fisher Modern MM, their DVD is about to launch and libraries may already have their orders in.  I checked the library in my closest city (Knoxville TN) and their copy is on order.  I'm now on the list and I wasn't the first in line, so there is some excitement out there for its appearance.

Just saw the first episode of the spinoff through Hoopla. Interesting. I can see what they're trying and didn't dislike it. 

I did read this, which has some implied shade towards the spinoff from Essie Davis:

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/miss-fishers-modern-murder-mysteries-continues-a-tradition-of-feminist-murder-mystery/?amp

Were you able to talk to Essie Davis at all about following in her footsteps?

No. She was super busy when we started shooting. I sent her a little note just saying how much I admire her and I hope that I do her and the Miss Fisher family proud.

Too busy to take a phone call and from the context of this, not replying to a note?  Yeah, right. I think we can read between the lines here potentially that she wasn't thrilled about a version of the show that's killed her off. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Kromm said:

Too busy to take a phone call and from the context of this, not replying to a note?  Yeah, right. I think we can read between the lines here potentially that she wasn't thrilled about a version of the show that's killed her off. 

She isn't even definitively dead, though! She's presumed dead! It would be just like Phryne, even at that age, to pop up somewhere alive and well.

• Love 3
On 4/6/2020 at 8:11 PM, Enginerd said:

She isn't even definitively dead, though! She's presumed dead! It would be just like Phryne, even at that age, to pop up somewhere alive and well.

Unlikely though.  Not only would they have to talk Essie Davis into it, but she'd somehow have to agree to old age makeup.

5 hours ago, Kromm said:
On 4/6/2020 at 6:11 PM, Enginerd said:

Unlikely though.  Not only would they have to talk Essie Davis into it, but she'd somehow have to agree to old age makeup.

I had the same thought as Enginerd in that scene.  What is that quote? The story of (her) demise Is greatly exaggerated.

They would not have to do much with make up.  Phryne is only in her sixties at this point, right?  They could also go the route of someone receiving a call or telegram from her.

Saw the movie this evening and I'll back up those who said it was just...a bit flat.  The locations were great, but as @allonsyalice says it was a 1-hour plot stretched out to a movie length, and not a particularly good 1-hour plot either, unfortunately.  And yes, the initial interaction with Jack and Phryne was completely off.  She wouldn't be so utterly jovial in the face of his clear anguish.

If I came away with any singular impression, it's 'missed opportunity'.  The ingredients were there, but the script wasn't.

• Love 6

Which seasons or episodes show Miss Fisher's most amazing clothing?  A friend would be interested in the costumes, but I have seen only a fraction of the episodes.  Opinions appreciated.

There's a new Phryne Fisher book out in Australia: Death in Daylesford. It won't be released in the USA until 1 June 2021 (probably to give Australian bookshops a chance to get money from sales before Amazon gets its hands on it - the link I have provided here is for a much-loved Melbourne bookshop).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Just found this excellent show and am almost finished with Season 1. Love the relationship between Phryne and Jack. Also love Phryne's household - which seems to be filled with wonderful strays. 

• Love 5

It's a darned shame that the latest Phrynie Foster book won't be made into a TV show/movie. IMO the book is so well written, the images are there for me to remember.

Death in Daylesford is a fun read. Not much Jack, but lots of Dot coming into her own, Phrynie's children and some descriptions of Australia where I'd love to visit, as well as well created cast of characters. 

If I hadn't already read the Fisher series, I'd start now because summer lasts long and most TV is strewn with murders where the supporting cast are shadows of what they might be, but aren't.

• Love 1

I'm working my way through the Phryne Fisher books. Now reading Urn Burial. They are different from the series but enjoyable. Virtually no Jack. 

• Love 3

I wish the show was available on Netflix again - I miss the first few seasons already and I don't have Acorn. Maybe I'll have to give the books a try.

20 hours ago, Eri said:

Maybe I'll have to give the books a try.

Check with your local library. Mine has the videos AND the books. That's for a not-huge city, and nowadays groups of counties are often banding together to share holdings. 

4 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Check with your local library. Mine has the videos AND the books. That's for a not-huge city, and nowadays groups of counties are often banding together to share holdings. 

I've been able to borrow almost all of the books from my library as e-books to read on my Kindle. 

• Useful 1
On 9/7/2021 at 12:30 PM, LisaM said:

I've finished all of the Miss Fisher books. I found them to be even better than the tv series. I was able to borrow most of them from the local library on my Kindle. 

I enjoyed the books much more than the tv series. By trying to make Phryne in love with Jake, and basically having Jake and Phryne solve the cases together they really changed the feel of who Phryne is and it greatly annoyed me. 

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 2

Kerry Greenwood is the author responsible for the magic in the Miss Fisher series.  Because I liked her writing so much and for creating characters that I really like, I went searching. Problem is, she's from the southern hemisphere. and my local library only had her Corrinna Chapman mysteries. (I am most thankful for whoever at the library discovered her and got Corrinna and Phrnie).

I also really like the Corrinna Chapman series.  Set in an apartment building I would love to have lived in with characters that I can remember vividly after reading the series obsessively before Covid , I will just say I wish they'd made Corinna a series instead of the vapid successor to Miss Fisher that somebody thought would appeal to me.  

11 hours ago, enoughcats said:

I will just say I wish they'd made Corinna a series

This has been in development for a few years now by Every Cloud Productions (the same mob who are responsible for the original series and its spin-off), but I don't know if it will ever get made, what with the state of the world.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 5/7/2022 at 11:44 AM, treeofdreams said:

I just finished rewatching the series, and the Crypt of Tears movie.  Still love them!!

Weren't they hoping to do another movie?  Is there any word about that?  I want more!!

I'm rewatching now. I'm on episode 12 of season 2. The series is still just as good. I wish there were more episodes, too.

• Love 1

For your Miss. Fisher fix, I present you not with a movie, not with a TV series, and not with a new book, although all of the above would be welcome.

Through my library card I have found a newly issued book written by Kerry Greenwood titled

(insert trumpets)

The Lady with the Gun Asks the Questions

by Kerry Greenwood

It's a collection of short stories. After the most interesting first chapter about how she started to write books, Ms. Greenwood tries out characters. 

Sip your Green Chartreuse gently and with moderation. 

• Love 1
On 4/27/2021 at 10:33 PM, AnimeMania said:

Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries returns to Acorn TV on Monday, June 7, with a 2 episode premiere.

We've just borrowed Season 2 from the library.  There seem to be some really positive changes in Ms. Fisher, she's smarter and the fashions make me smile (much as Phrynie's world did when I first discovered it.) This may be much better than her first season, and for free, summer, not terrible people in the episodes TV (which are getting harder to find this year) based on one episode, I'll recommend it.  

(Edit button exist for numerous uses.)

1 hour ago, Eri said:

By any chance, are there any audiobooks available for Phryne Fisher?

Yes, there are. Kerry Greenwood wasn't happy with the Audible version of 'Death in Daylesford', and posted about that on her FB page in June last year, with links to finding one of her other Miss Fisher titles on Audible, GooglePlay and Apple. You should be able to find other available titles via those links. Here's what Kerry wrote about trying to find a suitable person to do the audio for her books:

As many of you will be aware, we have been desperately seeking a suitable person to take the place of the much-lamented Stephanie Daniel. We believe we have found her, and her name is Wendy Bos. The audiobook edition of The Lady With The Gun Asks The Questions is on sale through Bolinda. I have listened to it and I love it.

The chief difficulty when you are a solo reader is making sure that all the characters have their own distinctive voices. Ms Bos has excelled at this. Phryne is pure Oxbridge. Her sister Eliza is a hybrid: half English and half Australian. The less aspirational Aussies (good and bad) are pure Strine. What is even harder to get right are the voices of children. Her Christina is a masterpiece. Hardest of all is the authentic butternut twang of America’s Deep South. I listened to her evocation in silent admiration. This was utterly superb.

Ms Bos takes us through the stories at a slow, measured pace. Far better that than rushing through the text too quickly. Once I began listening to the stories I could not tear myself away from the CD player. The first few tracks are her recitation of the prefaces. You may skip these if you wish. Each track is discrete, and the fast-forward/skip button is your friend here. But since many of the questions you ask on this page are answered in the triple overture, you may want to play them too.

I know many of you were disappointed in the Audible version of Death In Daylesford. So was I. That really was below standard. I am mentioning this solely so you know that authors and publishers really do listen to you. Because it is you we aim to please. This will satisfy you all, I am certain.

Available here:

https://www.audible.com.au/.../The-Lady.../1867538466...

GooglePlay:

https://play.google.com/.../Kerry_Greenwood_The_Lady_with...

Apple:

https://books.apple.com/.../lady-gun-asks.../id1561082366

• Like 1

Discovered this series while watching other cozy mysteries on Acorn, and I really like it! Essie Davis is great as Phryne, and I love the chemistry Phryne and Jack have. The supporting characters - particularly Dot - are also a lot of fun. 

• Like 6

If you haven't tried a Kerry Greenwood Miss Fisher book, it's February and just thinking of living in Australia is an improvement over what are having now. 

Amazon Kindle has some of the Miss Fisher e-books at under two dollars, which is less than the gas to get to the library to pick them up. You might want to try one to see how it is like and unlike our beloved heroine's TV persona. (I like them both.) 

• Like 2

I'm really enjoying the Miss Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries on PBS. The set decoration and costuming is fabulous, and I really like the characters. Were some of them the same actors on the original series?

I do have to say though that James is such a wet rag and Peregrine could do so much better!