Type keyword(s) to search

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yay for the new thread! Here is a teaser featuring the delicious Phryne speaking direct to camera (I can tell it was filmed in Melbourne's beautiful Block Arcade, which is also part of the action in the first few pages of the very first Phryne book, Cocaine Blues). And there's all kinds of wonderful stuff, including a hilarious season 3 trailer, on the Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries FB page.

• Love 1

I've been watching Season 3 online and would be only too happy to post spoilers but I want to do it in the proper format for this forum.   It looks as though this season will only have 8 episodes.  

Probably because Hugo Johnstone-Burt appears in The Rock's latest film San Andreas, Hugh Collins was MIA in at least one episode (gone fishin').  

(edited)

I've been watching on Netflix but season 3 isn't available there. Where else can you watch online? All the You Tube eps I've found direct me to one of those sketchy sites that want me to download their software.

Edit -- I finally found them on You Tube. Poor quality but I'll take it!

Edited by lordonia

Haha, this episode was a great re-introduction to the show and characters. And Phryne finally met Jack's (ex) wife. I love Phryne's reaction to all of it: Becoming involved in Jack's personal life, his discomfort at such, and still trying to do right by everyone.

And omg, the fan dance. So cheeky. I'm not English, but a more accurate term does not exist. Phryne is the best. This is the first mystery show to suck me in, but can we have a protagonist like her for every decade?

I think "saucy" would be a good word for that dance.  Saucy is a word with definite sexual undertones.

My love for the show grows with each episode.  I'm in awe of Essie Davis' figure and her character's dress sense.  Also I haven't shipped as hard in years the way I ship Jack/Phryne.

• Love 4
(edited)

I just discovered this delight of a show on Netflix and I'm up to episode 5 in season 1. I found Miss Fisher somewhat annoying and a bit overbearing at the beginning but she's gained layers and her developing friendship with Inspector Robinson is wonderful to watch.

So nice after I've been watching so many somewhat overly testosterony (TM Phoebe Buffay) shows lately. So, between Miss Fisher and Agent Carter, I'm clearing my system from all that and I love it.

Love how Dot grows, Jane becomes a little Miss Fisher in her own right.

I do hope to see more of Aunt Prudence.

ETA: I got my wish and Aunt Prudence gained some layers! I finished season 1 and can't wait to get to the next season! The UST is scorching but doesn't stand in the foreground all the time. I adore what Phryne gets up to in the bedroom although it pretty much ensures that whoever she beds is not the killer. You see a growing respect between Jack and Phyne growing and it's done very well with very minimal eye-rolling by the inspector which is nice. I shows his growing appreciation of her. I adore that she does not apologize for herself. I loved the episode from her past in Paris and how it adds to her character. Of course, the kiss was ....*is fanning herself. I adore Dot and Constable Collins and how Dot is becoming a detective in her own right and is taking some risks.

The final episode was a bit overdone and I didn't quite understand how Murdoch persuaded the surviving student to help with it all but it became fairly clear that he was involved since Phryne didn't sleep with him. ;-)

I checked up on Essie Davis and I think what I really love is that an over-40-actress is headlining this show!

Now, I really hope season 3 comes to my Netflix soon. Off to season 2!

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 2

I caught up on the first five episodes on You Tube and even with blurry video and mumbly audio, it was heaven. I can't say I recall exactly what each of mysteries was about or who done it, but:

• Dot is getting so fashionable!
  • Aunt Prudence continues to show more facets to her character other than "old battle ax"
  • Loved meeting Phryne's reprobate father
  • What is Phryne going to wear and who is she going to bed this time?
  • Sadly, not Jack yet.
  • Vibrator!

So, yeah. The mysteries are a way to show off Phryne's skills and keep her and Jack working together, but mostly I just love these characters. I've never shipped any two people as hard. Come on, writers!

• Love 1

Fabulous costumes and that look between Jack and Phryne at the end when he said he wouldn't stay for a nightcap...oof. He knew they were in dangef of stepping over their self-imposed stop line. Phryne knew and didn't care, heh. The UST between these two is incredible.

Not a terribly interesting murder plot but a nice sub-plot with Dot and Hugh - glad they didn't go the 'extreme makeover' with Dot as I feared they might - she's perfect just as she is.

• Love 4

Okay maybe it's me being thick but I didn't understand the plot of this one at all.  Where did Beatrice get the pages of the book she bought to Phryne's house (and that were later stolen by the intruder)? I thought there was just one page of the book that was left in the safe.  And why were pages from the book left in a convenient trail for Phryne to find and follow out to the quad?  Did someone find the book, tear pages out, leave them in a trail (that no-one else noticed?) and then bury the book hapharzardly in a flowerbed? Why?

The fact that it turned out to be all about the skull and not the book in the end was a bit of a let-down.  And I still don't know what relevance the episode title has.

Coupled with Jack and Phryne's estragement (which thankfully seems to be mostly over) this is the weakest ep to date IMO.  Even Dr Mac couldn't save it.

• Love 1

When the unfortunate assistant in a magic show is beheaded on stage, Jack and Phryne's investigation unravels a secret murder in the past. Phryne's estranged father makes a surprise visit from England. 

In the world of family Italian restaurants, old grudges from the village are stirred up when matriarch Nonna Luisa dies and the ownership of a secret book of recipes becomes the suspected motive.

The same morning Phryne is approached by a young boy whose brother has gone missing, Dr Mac calls her to advise that another boy has been found in a shallow grave near the hospital where she works.

When Phryne's Aunt Prudence opens her home to psychiatrist and natural healer, Hayden Samuels, to conduct his sanatorium for 'hysterical' women, Phryne takes on more than she bargained for.

When Phryne hosts a tennis tournament to raise money for female tennis players, the practice partner of a rising star is fatally bitten by a spider, and a murder investigation reveals Phryne's hidden fear. 

When a prize-winning scientist is found murdered on the same night the man intent on murdering Henry Fisher escapes police custody, Phryne must put all misgivings aside to protect her father.

I don't care if they don't sleep together in S3, but I absolutely insist on more scorching kisses. That one from the French artist ep in S1 is currently fuelling my Jack/Phryne fantasies.

I just found this show on Netflix and I adore it to an unhealthy degree. Everyone should have their own Jack Robinson!

Question for the Australians here: Does anyone know why there are only 8 episodes in season 3 other than budget cuts that seemed to put it on the "low priorities" list?

And does that imply anything about the general future of the show? I know absolutely nothing about the Australian TV landscape, that's why I'm asking. It looks like it's doing well but that reduced number worries me.

I must admit to knowing very little about Australian TV despite living here, but if it follows the same pattern as the BBC where 6 or 8 episodes is a common thing, I'm not hugely worried. And I'd rather have more seasons of 8 episodes than no Miss Fisher at all!

• Love 2

I think I'm getting a bit confused about the status of Jack and Phryne's relationship, and from his looks Jack is too...I hope they resolve it soon. If Phryne is simply not interested in monogamy she should probably sit down and have an honest talk with him, but then this is TV so we'll probably get more angst (or as angsty as this show gets).

Didn't find the murder sub-plot that interesting but did call the gender swapping pilot.

One thing that astonishes me in this show is the amount of clambering around/risky stuff the cast do - a couple of episodes ago Essie Davis was climbing up the (extremely high) side of a ship and this week Nathan Page rode a motorbike over fairly rough ground.

(edited)

Question for the Australians here: Does anyone know why there are only 8 episodes in season 3 other than budget cuts that seemed to put it on the "low priorities" list?

And does that imply anything about the general future of the show? I know absolutely nothing about the Australian TV landscape, that's why I'm asking. It looks like it's doing well but that reduced number worries me.

As far as I know, the low number of episodes in season 3 is due to ABC budget cuts. As for the general future of the show, the ABC's director of TV, Richard Finlayson, said this in November 2014 when the network's 2015 line-up was announced (source):

Finlayson says Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries is now an integral part of future ABC programming.

“Miss Fisher is now an international phenomenon,” Finlayson says. “We have just sold the rights to the Miss Fisher scripts to China and it is being remade in Chinese. She is a character that really resonates. People love the stories. It is escapist. It looks fantastic and we are very pleased to have it back on air. Essie Davis’ star has risen considerably during this time and we’re lucky to have her. We hope we can hang on to her because it is a show that there is no reason why it couldn’t continue for many years to come.”

Edited by purist
  • Love 1
(edited)

A bit so-so, although may have partly been caused by 21st-century disappointment at dropping to SD on ABC's iView rather than HD on Netflix.

Dot was amazing this episode - definitely MVP. She pretty much solved the mystery.

Not sure I liked Phryne's dad at all - he seemed a bit cliche and I absolutely hated Jack's jealousy because no-one told him the man sniffing around Phryne was biologically related to her.  That sort of plot belongs in a much lesser show.

Also I hated the trend of recent episodes to have the villain blab long-windedly about their plan when caught like it was an episode of Scooby Doo.  I really don't care.  Preferred how it was previously when they were caught, cuffed and carted off in seconds.

Mind you the almost kiss at the end practically set my TV alight.  How can two people not kissing possibly be so hot?

I learned something too - always keep a lockpick/pair of tweezers stuffed in yer bra just in case some psycho dumps you into a tank full of water!

Edited by pootlus
(edited)

Yes any episode with Dr Mac and Aunt Prudence is automatically elevated above 'meh'.

Bit of a predictable plot - called the killer doing the Twelve Days of Christmas when I saw Phryne pick up the card when she moved into her room, Jack and Hugh showing up just before they all got snowed in, and the switcheroo with the body at the hen-house.

Still, worth it to see Hugh in civvies (yum!).  Also has the best quote of the series (from memory, so paraphrased):

Constable Collins: Miss Fisher's gone on holiday again, sir.

Det. Insp Jack Robinson: Oh? Anyone been murdered yet?

Constable Collins: Just the one so far, sir.

Definitely need a quotes thread in the forum.  I'm planning a rewatch just to capture them all!

Edited by pootlus
  • Love 4

So, ABC is like the BBC? Public and supported by fees?

The reason I'm a little worried is from what I read that Finlayson was partly responsible for the budget cuts that may have been causing the delayed renewal. So, I took that quote with a grain of salt. If that is his way of back pedaling, not a problem.

Anyway, I adore the first season, I've started season 2 and I hope for many many more!

Also don't know where to post this: there's a new exhibition of costumes opening in Melbourne tomorrow that runs until 30 September. It's at the same venue - Rippon Lea, the National Trust property that is used as Aunt Prudence's house in the series - but according to friends of mine who went to the opening tonight, 'This one is even better [than the first exhibition]. Wonderfully executed and showcasing costumes and props from the third season' and 'so much better than the last one; a sumptuous feast!'

That sounds like something I will definitely have to check out as that's only a couple of hours on the train for me. Thanks for letting us know purist!

I kind of wanted Jack to hook up with his "old friend". Phryne gets to bed many an attractive male so why not? Then it was revealed that she was in love with him and that would have been too cruel to her for Jack to bed her while clearly having feelings for Phryne.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised when Jack's admirer turned out to be genuinely in love with him and not using him to escape an unhappy arranged marriage. I do wonder whether Phryne's dalliances are starting to feel stale to her - she must know that any relationship with Jack would be very different.

The Romeo and Juliet thing with the two young people was a bit predictable, but I didn't mind this one.

Edited by pootlus

I actually like Jack's ex because she creates some competition for Phryne for Jack's attention.  I hope she makes a play to get back with him.  Something needs to spur our heroine into action!  Right now, it's not clear whether Phryne has any real interest in Jack.  She obviously likes him, but it's hard to tell whether she wants a romantic relationship with him or a fling or just enjoys the flirty friendship and partnership they have.  It's interesting, because she has no trouble conveying to other men what she wants from them.

• Love 2

Aunt Prudence is the biggest kiss-blocker in history, between the last two episodes! I was hoping to finally get something from Jack and Phryne, even if they would later blame it on mistletoe and tradition.

• Love 3

Well this was a bit different in that we knew who the murderer was from the outset, we just didn't understand why he did it.

I did like Phryne coolly winning back her father's debt from Mr Polish Cheating Pokerplayer although I don't like her dad any more than I did last time - he's a straight-up sleazebag, which is fine if that's what they're aiming for.

The show continues to tease my poor Jack/Phryne shipper heart with that waltz at the end although with the Phryne's revelation half-way through that her mother lost her heart to her father through the Midnight Waltz, it was somewhat predictable.  Does this mean Phryne is realising her love for him? I did notice that she didn't hook up with anyone this episode, although she didn't in the last one either.  New trend?  The fact that another woman seemed to find Jack irresistable in ep 3 may have been it, although it might just be co-incidence.

Same. And he's not even in the books. Totally unnecessary character in the TV series.

I was just surprized that he even existed. 

That is, for some reason I just assumed that Phrynne had all her money because she'd inherited it from her father (who'd inherited it during the war).

Excellent episode!

Loved how Phryne got curious and tried to bait Jack about his ex. I can't imagine her going really after him at this point but her teasing certainly was more than just that. A subtle way to find out how hung-up on his ex he might be since the divorce wasn't all that long ago.

Hugh was so adorable when he tried to protect Dot from anything......unseemly when she brought the feathers. Only to be accosted by Dot's sister and Dot seeing that.

I adored Jacks amusement during the feather dance.

Phryne: That was close.

Jack: It still is.

Phryne doesn't move.

Is Dot the older sister? It felt like it when she tried to "help" her sister.

I love how Phryne never loses her hat, no matter what she does.

Re: Jack's reaction to finding out that Phryne slept with Warwick (I think that was his name)--was it 1) just jealousy or 2) frustration with her foolishness in hooking up with a suspect or 3) annoyance with her hooking up instead of being in a real relationship?

Hey guys, this show is awesome and I cannot imagine how I lived without it for so long, but question: what episode in season one has Jack say he's in a sexless marriage/marriage in name only? I know it happens but I binge watched the whole thing over the weekend and somehow didn't hear that part.

Possibly my favourite of the season so far, mostly for the hilarious awkwardness of Phryne, Jack, Hugh and Dot trying to ignore the moving spider trapped by Phryne's diaphragm.

A couple of inconsistencies that bugged - the Sydney Funnel-Web, like most Australian spiders, rarely kills - and not in seconds (snakes are another matter entirely).

Also the date of the newspaper was August 31, and yet everyone's dressed like it's 25 degrees.  August is still winter in Australia, and definitely not a time for skimpy clothes.  I'm just going to handwave that it must have been a heatwave.

Was hoping Phryne would have booted that photographer off the boat.

• Love 1

I would honestly be happy for Phryne and Jack never to resolve their URST. Their flirting is so delicious that I'm happy to see it every week from now until the end of time.

• Love 1

So the A-plot was a bit silly and I'd rather have had a more light-hearted end to the series, but I'm completely in not caring mode because Dot and Hugh made me bawl and Dot was completely awesome and I'll just leave these here:

MvMjsqb.png

NMlOXwz.png

ikNift2.png

Another series? Let's hope so!

• Love 2

Thought people might be interested in how Miss Fisher rates here in the domestic market - the answer is, pretty darned well.

http://www.oztam.com.au//documents/2015/OzTAM-20150607-EMetFTARankSumCons.pdf

Free to air means any non-subscription service, so the big cable/satellite service (Foxtel) is excluded as well as streaming services like Netflix.

Miss Fisher is watched by around 1 million viewers in the big cities (I think this would go up by 10-15% if scaled up for the whole country), which isn't bad at all for a population of 22 million.  As the PDF shows, even the top-rated shows only got 1.2 million, so I'm hopeful this (plus expanding overseas sales) will spur ABC to commission a Season 4 before the cast all go on to bigger and better things (or before the current government decides to destroy our national broadcaster entirely).

• Love 1