Type keyword(s) to search

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Phryne, Dot and Dr Mac happily accompany Aunt Prudence to a picturesque chalet to celebrate a white Christmas in July. The party arrives to find one of the residents dead – electrocuted while hanging festive lights. No more suspicious than the usual Miss Fisher investigation, until the body count starts to rapidly rise…

• Love 1

The ABC  (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) launched its 2015 line-up in Australia yesterday, and the new season of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries is one of the stars. Here is an article about the launch, with Miss Fisher given prominence. Excerpts (with spoiler tags for info on plots):

MISS Fisher’s Murder Mysteries fans rejoice. You are set to get eight new episodes of your favourite crime drama in 2015 [snip] Better still, ABC TV director Richard Finlayson says there is no reason why Miss Fisher won’t continue for years to come.

The third series of Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries, set in the 1920s and starring Essie Davis as sleuth Phryne Fisher, almost never got commissioned. Late last year the ABC said it ‘still hadn’t made a decision’ on the show’s future — despite it averaging around 1.5 million viewers per episode, according to OzTAM.

Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries, which last aired in late 2013, was said to be the victim of ABC budget cuts and a move by Director of TV Richard Finlayson to attract younger viewers. Angry fans petitioned ABC management, with series three finally commissioned last April.

Next year’s series is set to feature the appearance of Phryne’s reprobate father. Phryne’s attraction to Detective Inspector John “Jack” Robinson is also set to go to the next level. Earlier this year co-executive producer Fiona Eagger tantalised fans by hinting that there might be wedding bells.

“We’ve got magic in the next one (series),” Eagger told IF magazine in June. “There’s no end to the inspiration. You never know — there might be a wedding!”

Murder cases will be set at a magic show, an RAAF base, in the world of women’s tennis and the backstreets of Melbourne’s inner-city Collingwood.

Finlayson says Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries is now an integral part of future ABC programming.

“Miss Fisher is now an international phenomenon,” Finlayson says. “We have just sold the rights to the Miss Fisher scripts to China and it is being remade in Chinese. She is a character that really resonates. People love the stories. It is escapist. It looks fantastic and we are very pleased to have it back on air. Essie Davis’ star has risen considerably during this time and we’re lucky to have her. We hope we can hang on to her because it is a show that there is no reason why it couldn’t continue for many years to come.”

Edited by purist
  • Love 1

He's very different from the character in the books, but I don't mind because Nathan Page is so dreamy. I adore his deadpan responses to some of Phryne's more outrageous behaviour and utterances.

• Love 5

So season 3! Whee! We can post things we see/hear/want to see about the new season here. We'll be thankful to our Australian friends to shout out any news they hear! We can also chat about the books in here and see what we think might be forthcoming in the new season. Here's a link to Amazon's list of Kerry Greenwood's books. If you don't like to buy from them they still give the ISBN# so you can search them at your favourite local shop!

I'm just glad we're getting them! I'm on the last two episodes of season 2 and I can't wait to see new ones.

Are you guys interested in doing an actual season 2 watch/rewatch? We could do an episode a week and chat about them. LMK you guys!

• Love 1

I was pleasantly surprised by how he's quietly about as close a match in wit as Phryne is like to meet. And he's not some condescending force intent on stamping out all of the fun Phryne has helping him along. He's not at all what I expected from the first few episodes.

• Love 7

Exactly! Me either. I have been very impressed with his character. I love that he obviously loves her mind. It's fun to watch them together.

Yes, absolutely. It's that playful respect between them that keeps you on your toes during their scenes. You never know which of them will make the other roll their eyes or try not to smile. And their relationship/friendship has progressed so organically that you completely buy their trust in each other. He's reserved but definitely not dull, so he grows on you.
  • Love 4

Perry Heslop! One of the things I love about MFMM is playing spot the Australian actor! At least two former Muriel's Wedding actor's have shown up in MFMM, the second is Roz Hammond who was in first season's Away with the Fairies. 

And may I just be shallow and say thank you for that swimming scene? I had to fan myself! I just love the ust between Jack and Phryne. 

• Love 4

This is a really fun episode. Classic MFMM. Phryne flirting her face off with Jack; Dot being judgy but good-hearted; cat-burgling antics; the feather fan dance!

Plus we meet Rosie Sanderson. Yay.

OK, Rosie is the actual worst. When I watched this the first time, I was ambivalent about her in this episode, and even partway through the next. But eventually, she just takes a turn. I really hope we don't see much or any of her in Season 3. Also, I like how the seeds are planted regarding the corruption in the police department and local government, and even hints toward the sex trafficking angle.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 2

I'm watching season 1 & I'm up to episode 10. I'm wondering if they ever do anything more with the story about her sister being murdered. It seems like that was a big thing at the beginning, but it was dropped somewhere along the way & hasn't been mentioned again. Do they go back to it? I also wondered where her doctor friend went to, but she actually showed up this episode. Is she going to show up more?

EDITED: Well, the guy in prison just sent her a letter, so I guess they do go back to it.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 2

Haha, this episode was a great re-introduction to the show and characters. And Phryne finally met Jack's (ex) wife. I love Phryne's reaction to all of it: Becoming involved in Jack's personal life, his discomfort at such, and still trying to do right by everyone.

And omg, the fan dance. So cheeky. I'm not English, but a more accurate term does not exist. Phryne is the best. This is the first mystery show to suck me in, but can we have a protagonist like her for every decade?

I liked the relationship between Dot and her sister, it just seemed genuine. You can imagine them growing up side-by-side. And Phryne wanting the re-establish the connection between the two because she knows how it feels to lose it tugged at the heartstrings just enough.

Between the cat burglary and all of the dancing, this is one of the most fun episodes yet. Plus some solid character building. Wonderful season opener.

• Love 2

Whoa, wait, so if I understand correctly, the psychic was legit? I didn't expect that at all. But I like that there's a little mysticism in the heightened world these characters inhabit. The series one finale had just a bit of that spookiness, too.

Aw, poor Dot.

Phryne's palm reading of Jack was wonderful characterization and dialogue. As was his reply. That relationship always hits just the right note.

• Love 1

I just saw this a couple of hours ago on my PBS station!

For now, I will just say it was fun and had real stakes for Phryne, so extra good. Aunt Prudence, whom I have come to like, was given a chance to shine and she brought it.  

• Love 1