Type keyword(s) to search

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think this was my least favorite episode of the second season. I totally understand Jack panicking after he thought Phryne had been killed and then distancing himself from her but as a viewer who loves their fantastic chemistry I much prefer when they are grooving along together in perfect accord.

• Love 1

Ha, on the other hand, that was exactly the reaction I expected, and I was shocked that their "estrangement" lasted barely two episodes, because all of my previous TV-watching experience told me they would drag out the angst for awhile. I was delighted when he came around by the end.

• Love 1

Ha, on the other hand, that was exactly the reaction I expected, and I was shocked that their "estrangement" lasted barely two episodes,

Me too! I was glad they didn't draw it out. I have had reactions like that myself when I'm getting too attached to something/someone where I push those emotions aside so they aren't overwhelming. I think that I would have probably had a similar reaction to Jack's if something like that happened to me. 

• Love 1

Heavens, no! Kerry Greenwood, the author of the books on which the TV series is based, is something of a classics scholar with a fondness for Ancient Greece. She named her heroine after a famous Ancient Greek courtesan.

Thanks, that was the only other time I had ever heard of the name, but I'm not from Australia, so I wondered if it was common there.

No worries, GaT, it's a fair question. I'm Australian (from Melbourne), and Kerry Greenwood is in fact a good friend of mine, so if anyone has any questions about the settings or language used in MFMM, feel free to ask!

• Love 3

Oh, purist, can you ask her how she researched what kind of makeup/potions/bath-time products were popular back in the 1920's? I am making my way through the books and I'm always fascinated by the different 20's era products she mentions Phryne using.

Edited by emma675d

The swimming scene was so perfect, because I'm sure Phryne intended to give Dot a show. If anyone knows how to seamlessly mix business with a male wet t-shirt contest, it's her.

Evil mustache guy was evil? And he would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for that ridiculous cocoa alibi. Prison should hold many dangerous discoveries for him.

I adored Phryne's silent look of respect and affection for her aunt at the end. It was very sweet. I love how this show writes its relationships between women.

• Love 6

Gosh, I figured it was a "the actor is leaving to do another show" shenanigan and they'd say his character moved to England or New Zealand or something. Nope!

This series is so stupidly entertaining. And as unrealistic as any TV show based on a comic book series. Just more endearing.

Does anyone know why season 1 of this show is on so sporadically? It will be on a couple of weeks in a row, then nothing for a few weeks, then it's back on, then it's not. Every time it appears in my scheduled recordings, I'm surprised.

I guess I got lucky with my local (Boston) PBS station (actually, I think there were two local stations playing it each week). They played season one in order, one each week, and now that the season is finished, they're starting over. Having just discovered the show and loving it, I'm going to watch them all again! Hope your PBS stations do the same sometime.      

Edited by Darian
  • Love 1

Fascinating episode. I love comparing non-American TV rules to American TV rules. No way would a man's behind be allowed like that in the US! Interestingly, the actor was very hairy; again, I don't think any American male behind would be "allowed" to have hair on it. 

The look Jack and Phryne shared over the last scene was scorching! 

• Love 6

Boy howdy was Phryne's polkadot coat smashing!  And her white hat with the pearl flowers. I just love the styling on this show.

I appreciated that Phryne couldn't flirt her way out of Jack's decision to pull back AND that MR. Pepper didn't fall for her charms. She's not always successful and she needs that reminder sometimes!

• Love 1

Well, I finally saw the season 1 finale. I have to admit I find the direction that everything went in to be a bit........odd. There was no hint of all this Egyptology stuff until now, was there? It kind of felt like they gave him a strange backstory at the last moment. Was this in the books?

Edited by GaT

Well, I finally saw the season 1 finale. I have to admit I find the direction that everything went in to be a bit........odd. There was no hint of all this Egyptology stuff until now, was there? It kind of felt like they gave him a strange backstory at the last moment. Was this in the books?

Totally agree, GaT. None of it was in the books, and it was all a bit of an over-reach for me.

Edited by purist

I'll put it under spoilers so as not to ruin it for anyone who hasn't finished the books.

In the books, Jane is a footnote. I think she's mentioned once in one of the earlier books, but she died of sickness not murder, as a child. There was no Egyptian professor or murder plot or anything like that. Phryne has another sister Eliza that plays a bigger part than the other sister Jane did.

I'll put it under spoilers so as not to ruin it for anyone who hasn't finished the books.

In the books, Jane is a footnote. I think she's mentioned once in one of the earlier books, but she died of sickness not murder, as a child. There was no Egyptian professor or murder plot or anything like that. Phryne has another sister Eliza that plays a bigger part than the other sister Jane did.

Thanks, I wonder 

they made her a murder victim & took away the other sister, & gave her a ward? That's a pretty substantial change to her backstory.

I am currently rewatching the first series and remember my thoughts on the first episode - the one where Phryne meets both Dot and the Inspector for the first time. I basically thought this was going to be one of those mystery series where the maverick detective has an antagonistic relationship with the police who get to look bumbling to make the maverick look especially competent.

I am so glad I was wrong about this. 

• Love 3
Oh, purist, can you ask her how she researched what kind of makeup/potions/bath-time products were popular back in the 1920's? I am making my way through the books and I'm always fascinated by the different 20's era products she mentions Phryne using.

Sorry for the long wait for a reply, emma675 - Kerry had computer issues and lost a lot of her emails temporarily (they have now been retrieved) so I have only just heard back from her. In reply to your question, she says she looked at Vogue, Home Beautiful [an Australian home decorating magazine], and every newspaper from the time to see what people were wearing in pictures. She also said, "Ladies’ cosmetics can be especially found in advertisements from Myers [a large mid-range to upscale Melbourne department store that began operating in the early 20th century], e.g. Jicky was considered to be rather naughty and for soigné ladies like Phryne. Beauty parlours back then made their own potions and unguents."

Edited by purist
  • Love 2

Thanks, purist! What's so funny is that I've made it to book 20 in the series (I deliberately read them slow so I wouldn't just burn through them and be stuck waiting for a new one for months and months) and there was a line I just read about Phryne smelling of Jicky. I wonder if it's still made? I would love to know what it smells like!

• Love 1

there was a line I just read about Phryne smelling of Jicky. I wonder if it's still made? I would love to know what it smells like!

I asked Kerry about this, emma675, and she told me that she thinks Jicky is still being made, and that its fragrance is 'Best described as naughty but nice, and smelling of gin.' She says if it isn't in fact available any more, the nearest thing is Floris (I'm not sure which variety).

Edited by purist
  • Love 1

For the Floris sounds like this one might fit our Phryne! Honey Oud or for a more citrusy top note maybe this one? They look like they all smell devine!

nd.103.jpg

Jicky by Guerlain is still available

Jicky was created in 1889. It is a classical fragrance and, despite the age, it is timeless and still very modern. According to the legend, the perfume was named after a girl Aime Guerlain was in love with when he was a student in England. It is more likely, though, that this perfume is named after his uncle Jacques Guerlain’s nick – Jicky. This was one of the first perfumes created with addition of synthetic materials (the first was Fougere Royale Houbigant, 1882). The top notes contain lavender and citrus (bergamot, lemon and mandarin), which perfectly match the cold, metallic orris and rose shaded by vetiver. The cold top and middle notes are an elegant counterbalance to the warm base created of patchouli, vanilla, amber and musk. As Guerlain has always paid a lot of attention to design of flacons, this bottle is also attractive and original: it is designed in a shape of 19th century medicine bottle with champagne cork shaped stopper.

• Love 2

MFMM got a shout-out in Entertainment Weekly's Must List in the February 20 issue! 

"7. MFMM: On the hit Australian TV series (available on Netflix), the titular linbertine slinks around 1920s Melbourne solving crimes, sipping champagne, and sleeping with whomever she bloody well pleases."

I take issue with the libertine description, but the rest is accurate! (I couldn't find it on the EW website to link to, sorry.)

FINALLY! PBS has finally started showing season 2. It was great to see a new (to me) episode, & I seriously lust after that red velvet cape thingy Phryne was wearing at the end.

Not sure where to post this - but season 3 starts in Australia on Friday 8 May. Next week! Maybe a new thread for the new season?

Also don't know where to post this: there's a new exhibition of costumes opening in Melbourne tomorrow that runs until 30 September. It's at the same venue - Rippon Lea, the National Trust property that is used as Aunt Prudence's house in the series - but according to friends of mine who went to the opening tonight, 'This one is even better [than the first exhibition]. Wonderfully executed and showcasing costumes and props from the third season' and 'so much better than the last one; a sumptuous feast!'

• Love 2