Type keyword(s) to search

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's first two series. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

I tried to watch an episode and I read PTV's Allison Lowe Huff's (and others) piece on Miss Fisher.... but does the woman have any relatable faults? Any cute or irritating idiosyncracies? So perfect...smart.... beautiful.... ruthless.... confident.... on and on. I have no problem with an intelligent woman in charge of her life but a little human frailty might make her more likable (and watchable) to me instead of just admiring her wonderfulness. Of course, since I haven't watched the episodes maybe I'm being too harsh, so I will give them another try.

• Love 2

Like Lord Peter Wimsey before her, I can thus far discern no faults, except maybe that she's overly dedicated to her non-paying job! She even looks good first thing in the morning. 

• Love 1

I rather like her as is. It's different. Usually the main female character in crime dramas is an emotional mess with commitment issues, the sex life of a nun and  wacky family members she has to get out of trouble every other episode. Phryne is positively independent, has a very healthy appetite for sex, and has gotten far away from all her living family except for her excellent Aunt Prudence (hello, Miriam Margolyes, you total treasure!). Her best friend is a lesbian. She's generous and decent and a good judge of character. I like that even though she's a minor Royal she seems to have no class snobbishness. And she has the absolute best wardrobe every second of every day of any lady detective I have ever seen.

I freaking love her. I've devoured both seasons of the show and have my fingers crossed hoping for another.

• Love 15
I like that even though she's a minor Royal she seems to have no class snobbishness.

I think it helps that she wasn't raised rich.  IIRC, she only got her title and money after a few people in line before her died during the great war.

So she knows what it's like being on the other side of the class divide. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I think she's fantastic - and, if the reaction to seeing my 23 year old daughter and 71 year old mother is anything to go by, a very entertaining, engaging and wonderful character for different ages of viewers to enjoy.

I've been too enthralled with the show to try to find fault with her.  I love how she is very open about her preferences, her loyalty, her sense of justice (legal and social) and her appreciation for all sorts of things.  Her life was not an easy one growing up and certainly not improved during the war.  As a result, I think she's seen enough horrificness to embrace whatever joy she can around her now.   Or in the late '20s, when this takes place.

I also love her relationship with Dot.  Seeing the series 2 finale (not including the Christmas one) and peeking at the series premiere is nearly jaw dropping - Dot has grown into a strong woman who was able to tap into her own strength, intelligence and loving heart with Phryne's guidance. 

Also love her relationship with Jack Robinson.  Cliche at times and most definitely not cliche most of the time. 

I'm relieved the show has been renewed for a third season.

Edited by writersblock51
  • Love 5

I didn't know the show had been renewed for a third season; that's fantastic news! I just adore Phryne; her clothes, her hair, her attitude, her unabashed sexuality, everthing. I think she might be one of the most truly liberated female characters I've ever seen on tv. Buffy might have kicked quite a few butts, and averted more than her share of apocalypses, but she spent  the entire run of her series with a man standing on the sidelines (Xander, I'm looking at you) judging her for her sexual behavior. There's nothing like that happening on Miss Fisher. It's so refreshing.

Also, did I mention the clothes? How I wish I had a wardrobe like that (and could fit into it). This show is just gorgeous to look at.

• Love 6

Boy, I've been up to my viewing eyeballs in flawed heroes for what seems like ever.  BSG, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, the list just marches on with flaws aplenty, warts galore, feet of clay all over the damn place.  I do like a flawed hero, but I have to admit, I enjoy this show specifically because Phyrne is so wonderful, admirable, sexually liberated and almost amusingly beautiful.  

I like that there's a ton of sexual tension with Jack, but Phryne also simply has sex and romantic relationships that no one shames her for having.  Besides, she does have a flaw, she's ridiculously stubborn about always being involved.  

but she spent  the entire run of her series with a man standing on the sidelines (Xander, I'm looking at you) judging her for her sexual behavior. There's nothing like that happening on Miss Fisher. It's so refreshing.

In a nutshell, that's why I really enjoy watching this series. She's just allowed to be extraordinary.  Also, I watch this show on the elliptical via Netflix it's the perfect level of engaging for that kind of activity, at least for me.  

Plus, I'll just admit to liking all the side characters and their various side plots.  Dot's romance with the deputy is just adorable.  I get enough dark and gritty in almost every other darned thing that I watch.  I'm up for some adorable and admirable.  

• Love 8

Yeah, I can imagine that if this show went on like 10 seasons and Phryne was never shown to have any weaknesses, it would get a little tiresome. But so far, it doesn't bother me at all. I think one reason is that she shows a lot of genuine love and concern for the people in her life, and the people who cross her path. She never seems to put herself above anyone, but manages to also come across like she knows how awesome she is. I don't even care if she is a Mary Sue, she's a damn enjoyable one, and I just like having someone like her on my screen.

• Love 3

I love Phryne and Jack's chemistry. I mean, nothing can happen because he's faithfully but unhappily married and she's a swinging single lady, but they are scorching together. 

(I guess they haven't gotten together? I've one watched the first series.)

Just discovered this series yesterday and got sucked into a 9 episode binge-watch.  She IS a bit 'practically perfect in every way' but she's also so likeable and good to other people regardless of their social status that I can overlook that :)  I'm glad they avoided some of the tropes I expected, like before her butler met her he was glad he was going to be working for someone with a regular routine...a nice quiet lady.....yet we didn't go through all kinds of horrified reactions from him when he finds out the truth.  He just jumps right in and becomes part of the household.  And while of course Phryne is going to discover clues the police don't, they don't make the police total idiots.  She may get the better of them at times, but they're not bumbling fools, either.   And yes!  LOVE her clothes!  I wish I could wear hats like that! ;)

• Love 3

I love Phryne and Jack's chemistry. I mean, nothing can happen because he's faithfully but unhappily married and she's a swinging single lady, but they are scorching together. 

(I guess they haven't gotten together? I've one watched the first series.)

I've only seen the first series too, but I'm pretty sure Jack is getting divorced or has already gotten a divorce. There was that one episode where he had business at the courthouse and Phryne kept fishing to find out what he was doing there, but it was strongly implied that it was related to his marriage.

• Love 1

I too love this show for all the reasons stated above.

I watch on my local PBS station and hope they continue.

As a side note, I had the great good fortune to visit Australia in January and casually mentioned that I had seen the show and were they (the people I was talking to) familiar with it - -what a great ice breaker among all ages it seemed. THey seemed to be so happy that an American had seen the show. Made the trip fun for me.

• Love 1

Season 2 is being shown on some PBS stations (not on the ones I have access to, unfortunately) and also on acorn.tv.  I signed up for an Acorn.tv account (30 day free trial!) just to watch Season 2.  As much as I enjoyed Season 1, Season 2 has also been outstanding.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm only a few episodes in, but am glad for the recommendation via the article.  I'd actually read one of the books a few years ago and liked it and hadn't realized the Aussies had made a show of them.  I love shows of this ilk anyway (detective + period + slightly quirky -- other examples like The Murdoch Mysteries and the A&E Nero Wolfe movies are some of my previous favorites).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3

I actually came across this while looking at miniseries to buy at Amazon (yes, I'm a sucker for British/Australian/Canadian period series).  So, I bought season 1 and then immediately bought season 2.  I enjoy this series for many reasons, one of which is having a competent and charming female lead.  I am so glad to have found this thread and to find out that there will be another season!

I am glad I noticed this forum. It made me look into the series on Netflix. I love Phryne. She seems to have some hidden sadness about her sister that is a nice foil for her perfect-ness for me.

I have only watched a few episodes of season one so far.

I'm glad they avoided some of the tropes I expected, like before her butler met her he was glad he was going to be working for someone with a regular routine...a nice quiet lady.....yet we didn't go through all kinds of horrified reactions from him when he finds out the truth.  He just jumps right in and becomes part of the household.

You mean Mr Butler the butler ?

I'm pretty sure Jack is getting divorced or has already gotten a divorce.

Jack's divorced .His ex wife and ex father in law (who is his boss) turn up in Season 2 .And she doesn't take to Phryne at all big time side eye.

for those who haven't seen it

Her fiance and her father end up being involved in a human trafficking ring

Season 2 is being shown on some PBS stations (not on the ones I have access to, unfortunately) and also on acorn.tv.  I signed up for an Acorn.tv account (30 day free trial!) just to watch Season 2.  As much as I enjoyed Season 1, Season 2 has also been outstanding.

Thanks for this info! Several months ago, the e-books were on sale for the Nook, so I bought them. I'd read that there was a series, but couldn't find it and promptly forgot about it (and the books - still haven't read them!). I was just reminded of the series an hour ago after reading about its renewal and have spent some time searching for it without much luck. My DVR picked up 3 episodes airing on a PBS station that isn't local to us, so hopefully they will record. But I think I'll look into Acorn since it sounds like a show I'll love.

I just binge watched Season 1 thanks to the ladies at Go Fug Yourself, who highly recommended it. So much fun! I adore Phryne and Dot and Jack and the lot of them. And Phryne's wardrobe is amazing. Such a great show (and fun books), I'm hunting down Season 2 on acorn tv.

• Love 1

Season 2 was supposed to be on Netflix by now.  Does anyone know why it isn't yet?

How do you know it's supposed to be on Netflix by now? Maybe it'll come this month. I was shocked to see new episodes of Midsomer Murders and Ink Master. Shocked but very happy.

Streaming season one on Netflix this weekend and it's wonderful. Bummed to learn that I likely won't get to watch season two and beyond, though.

Why so? P.s. I recommend searching for a Project concerning Free TV, might be good. :)

I can't speak for JayKay, but I know for me, if season 2 won't come to Netflix streaming, I won't get to watch it. I won't be getting Acorn any time soon, and we are streaming only on Netflix. I'm hoping it'll come to Netflix streaming one day.

I watched the first four episodes of the second season now. Judging by those episodes I think the second season is even better than the first. How I love Miss Fisher and her family and friends and her relationship with "her" police inspector. My favorite so far was the episode where they solve the murder in the Queensland beach town - great scenery and some of the best Jack and Phryne moments yet. And the boxing episode made me laugh at the end when Phryne chose taking a rollercoaster ride with Jack over spending another minute with the vainest would-be-lover ever.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 3