Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

Super Bowl LIII: The Live Chat Topic

The only good thing about sports radio tomorrow is that it’s more going to be about how terrible this game was rather than the stupid Pats victory, if that’s how it ends up.  

Also the ads are going to get skewered.

I DO NOT CARE if Belichick helped get the Giants their first two rings he sucks and New England sucks and Brady REALLY sucks and their very existence makes this not fun.

The media is always like “well you have to respect them” and fuck you I very well do not.

• Like 16

. . . and ballgame. Lowest Combined Points record is still in jeopardy. Rams are matching SB VI Dolphins with lowest points.

• Like 1

“Enjoy it, folks, because you're not going to see it again” says Tomy idiot Romo and I can unequivocally say that I don’t and won’t and when can we get on with not seeing this again, huh?

• Like 6

I knew I should have stuck with the Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts movies.  This sucked, in oh so many ways.

• Like 4

Only two places where this outcome will be celebrated: New Orleans and all of New England.

What has been considered the worst SB? I think the unofficial mark is Colts/Cowboys in SB V.

• Like 1

Disappointed that the Rams lost and that the Patriots won this Super Bowl. This is the most boring Super Bowl I've seen. 

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Only two places where this outcome will be celebrated: New Orleans and all of New England.

What has been considered the worst SB? I think the unofficial mark is Colts/Cowboys in SB V.

I think we have a new winner.  Mediocre, boring, just godawful

• Like 5

Dogshit Bowl is ovah! Now I want to see when “World’s Best” comes on because I want to record Colbert live. I hope he ranks on the game.

I didn't think the Pats were going to win with running and defense. I can't say I was bored. Wade bottled up Brady for most of the game, but you know they're going to have at least one series with Gronk making a big play. 

• Like 1

What the Christ Brady and Edelman both have rings already why are they crying.

And seriously their celebrating offends me but the reporters need to get the fuck back and let the players all talk to each other before swarming in like jackals.

• Like 2

I’m liking the postgame chaos.

@magdalene . . . I missed that. How did Tom gloat?

Oh, and Los Angeles is 1-2 in Super Bowls. #TheMoreYouKnow

Edited by Lantern7

I pity the poor fools at NFL Films who will have to try to make this game exciting.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

I didn't think the Pats were going to win with running and defense. I can't say I was bored. Wade bottled up Brady for most of the game, but you know they're going to have at least one series with Gronk making a big play. 

What a game.  Great defensive performances on both sides.   It wasn't "oh shit, bad offense" just damn good defense. 

• Like 8

I'm glad I didn't have a dog in this fight. That would have forced me to actually watch that mess. 

Fuck the Pats. And fuck you Rams for not showing up and making the game remotely interesting. 

• Like 11

Love the McCourty twins.   So happy they get rings together.

• Like 2

What a bust. It was a sucky ass game. Thank goodness for the Puppy Bowl. It got me through it.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Like 4

Funny that the Pats have gone from underdogs to Evil Empire in sixteen years. Red Sox have more World Series titles than the Yankees this century, but I don’t think they are as hated.

I should watch Toy Story 3. Never finished it.

ETA: Puppy Bowl starting up now if you missed it.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 2

OK, I just saw the Harrison Ford commercial for Amazon Alexa with his dog.  That made the night worth it!

• Like 7

Last year's ending was sooooooo much better!

#FlyEaglesFly

• Like 4

Shakes head. Brady was trash talking what's his name. Like that quarterback doesn't feel bad enough already.  What a gracious winner Brady is. Not..

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

And seriously their celebrating offends me but the reporters need to get the fuck back and let the players all talk to each other before swarming in like jackals.

Brady was practically pleading for them to back off. 

I get the derision, and totally anyone should vent who wants to. I'm not that old, but going back to the 9ers and Cowboys, Lakers/Celtics, Jordan, Warriors, Yankees/Red Sox; it's just an amazing generation of sports history. 

3 minutes ago, raven said:

What a game.  Great defensive performances on both sides.   It wasn't "oh shit, bad offense" just damn good defense. 

Except for the Goff INT, which was because of the pressure, it was a clean game in terms of schemes. That bye week got the Pats OLine to step up, and the DLine rush against the Chiefs and here was exceptional. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I knew I should have stuck with the Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts movies.  This sucked, in oh so many ways.

I knew I should have stuck with Super Bowl XVII from 1983-- now that was a Super Bowl!!

6 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Last year's ending was sooooooo much better!

#FlyEaglesFly

And it inspired TWO great episodes of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Good times.

ETA: “Defensive masterpiece”? Really, Living James Brown? Put down the lipstick and set the pig free.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, raven said:

Love the McCourty twins.   So happy they get rings together.

I am too. I think they're adorable together. Like a little old married couple.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lantern7 said:

And it inspired TWO great episodes of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Good times.

“Rex why is your shirt still on!?” But congrats Pats, I’m happy!

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

Except for the Goff INT, which was because of the pressure, it was a clean game in terms of schemes. That bye week got the Pats OLine to step up, and the DLine rush against the Chiefs and here was exceptional. 

I really enjoy old school smash football.  I knew that Wade Phillips and that defense would get pressure on Brady.   For the Pats, so many little plays to make it - J McCourty denying one TD, the Gilmore interception.   Great game.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I am too. I think they're adorable together. Like a little old married couple.

I have a hard time telling them apart. Which one is the slightly shorter one?

I had to go tuck in my husband (don’t judge we’ve been married for 22 years and it’s a thing we do)...did Tracy Wolfson get her Brady interview?

In the four hours of pregame, was they any recognition of Broadway Joe and his guaranteed win? Feel bad for the Rams . . . meanwhile, Jets fans got the Butt Fumble, the Fake Spike, and Dennis Byrd getting paralyzed by his own teammate.

ETA: The Onion kept busy tonight.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, raven said:

I knew that Wade Phillips and that defense would get pressure on Brady.  

They only got the one sack, but he had them 3 and out a lot. 

7 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I have a hard time telling them apart. Which one is the slightly shorter one?

I think Devin is the slightly shorter one.

Julian Edelman, MVP.  Good choice.

• Like 2

Well, that sucked. Boring Bowl LIII: Battle of the Punters. And I normally like defense - but I also hate the Patriots.

There was an article on The Ringer before the AFC Championship with a headline like “Only Mahomes Can Save Us Now,” and it was so on target. Goff is no Mahomes to be able to make the transcendent plays necessary to beat Belicheck in the playoffs, and the real mastermind battle in this game was Wade Phillips vs Belicheck.

7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I had to go tuck in my husband (don’t judge we’ve been married for 22 years and it’s a thing we do)...did Tracy Wolfson get her Brady interview?

Yep, she did.  But, Why did they send the shortest person out there...she was totally run over & disappeared into the scrum.

• Like 1

YES!!!!

That is NOT how I thought this game would go, but for a Pats win I will happily take it. Though for the sake of my blood pressure, they need to stop shooting themselves in the foot in the first quarter/half, jfc. They should definitely have been up more at halftime. And they have got to do something about Gostowski...he’s developing a bad case of the playoff yips.

This game didn’t have the drama of some others but I found it tense and didn’t think it was boring. At a certain point you started waiting for the one big play that would turn the tide. There was some truly excellent defense.

So pumped for the McCourty twins. 

Gronk is SO retiring. You can’t script a better ending.

• Like 5

On local CBS Gronk was point blanked asked if he was retiring, and he basically said “I’m celebrating tonight, that’ll be something to talk about in the next few weeks” : that’s retiring.

Edited by jcin617
  • Like 3

I enjoy all the tweets reminding me that if this were baseball Edelman would not have been allowed to play in the postseason.

Two Pats wins, two MVP’s who had been suspended for four games in that season. Almost like it doesn’t even matter.

• Like 8

Edelman is the 40th highest paid WR in the league. He was an unrestricted free agent and anyone could have made him an offer he couldn't refuse. Quincy Enunwa makes nearly double him, 9 vs. 5.5 mil.

Rest of the league, this is why you lose.

• Like 5

I reckon this could be considered the Karma Bowl. Between the hardline stance of the owners in regard to acts of protest, questionable officiating, lack of real progress in preventing serious injuries, and at least one Super Bowl team making it in on bad calls, tonight could be considered payback . . . a bad game where the bulk of commercials were dudes, and the halftime show will be ridiculed so hard. Oh, and a winner despised in 44 out of fifty states.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

This game didn’t have the drama of some others but I found it tense and didn’t think it was boring. At a certain point you started waiting for the one big play that would turn the tide. There was some truly excellent defense.

I thought it did have drama. It wasn't like the offenses were sputtering. The defense schemes were impeccable. There was one INT each and that was it, and barely any flags, and no pass interference calls. 

34 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

Gronk is SO retiring. You can’t script a better ending.

He has to. As much as he's a meathead, I don't want to see the guy be crippled. 

• Like 3

Just now, ganesh said:

and barely any flags, and no pass interference calls. 

Yeah, tonight was a win for the officiating for sure. No big blown calls and they let the players play and only really flagged the big stuff, which I like. 

• Like 1

It would be great if they use this for a blueprint for next season, and then actually hire full time officials. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raven said:

I really enjoy old school smash football.  I knew that Wade Phillips and that defense would get pressure on Brady.   For the Pats, so many little plays to make it - J McCourty denying one TD, the Gilmore interception.   Great game.

This was the best game I have ever seen from a Patriots defense. There have been so many where Tom Brady needed to bail out the defense or they lost the game at the last minute. I'm old enough to remember when someone other than Brady was the quarterback so I enjoy Super Bowls no matter what they look like.

• Like 5

That defense really was good. It’s as if they knew exactly what play the Rams were about to do. Same with the Rams- they played pretty great minus the usual big plays for Edelman, but they didn’t put up many points. I was wondering why the Rams didn’t play more screens but I’m guessing the Pats had those covered so Goff had to go elsewhere. At least he will learn to throw the ball faster instead of waiting for the receivers to get open. There were two big touchdowns he missed because the ball came late and the Pats were able to cover them. Hell of a game plan by Belichick.

Edited by twoods

There were three times I can think of when the Rams were in FG range and the Pats got a sack, making them punt. They faced two of the most mobile QBs in the league and were able to take that away. 

4 minutes ago, twoods said:

That defense really was good. It’s as if they knew exactly what play the Rams were about to do. Same with the Rams- they played pretty great minus the usual big plays for Edelman, but they didn’t put up many points. I was wondering why the Rams didn’t play more screens but I’m guessing the Pats had those covered so Goff had to go elsewhere. At least he will learn to throw the ball faster instead of waiting for the receivers to get open. There were two big touchdowns he missed because the ball came late and the Pats were able to cover them. Hell of a game plan by Belichick.

I think that's where the two week break was helpful. Both defensive coaches used their time wisely

• Like 1