Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Point of Light

• Start Topic

On 2019-02-03 at 1:12 PM, starri said:

There was an Ash Tyler.  They grafted Voq's personality over his.

No wait. This is what confused me last season. Didn't we land on Voq's body being transformed into Ash's (the memory of the all the physical torture was actually that procedure), with Ash's personality grafted on? Then there was so little left of Voq physically and mentally that he just couldn't survive? L'rell had to let him go.

Right?

Seriously flawed procedure for a spy.

• Love 2

I think that officially it is Voq's body remade into Tyler, which makes no goddamn sense at all, but that's, apparently, what it was.

The greatest mystery though is why Tyler speaks Klingon so much more fluently and convincingly than Voq did.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

"I did the only logical thing. I stole his medical file." Suddenly Michael's decisions make more sense to me.

My biggest beef with Discovery is still that no one acts like they're in Starfleet. If you start seeing an imaginary dead person who talks to you, obviously you need to tell everyone. You don't just keep it to yourself. That's super dangerous and the stigma around mental illness is supposed to be gone and it's probably an alien, based on how these things go. Why would anyone ever keep that secret?

Finally... the one thing I thought was legitimately kind of cool in season one was the commitment to having the Klingons speak really intense Klingon to each other. Bummer that they're speaking English, now.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I'm never going to hear anyone on this show speaking Vulcan, am I? ::sigh:: You'd think the chances would be better with four major characters this season who lived or were born or raised on Vulcan, wouldn't you? But, no, it's just ... again with the yelly Klingons!

• Love 3
On 1/31/2019 at 9:25 PM, Frozendiva said:

An ep that was all over the place.

I never thought I would say this, but the reappearence of the Klingon story killed the momentum of the first two episodes for me. I just don't care. And I find The Torchbearer annoying. He's like a Mark Ruffalo lite.

On 2/3/2019 at 10:09 AM, clyo22 said:

The whole Spock's storyline is awful. I wish we could go back and make Michael the adoptive daughter of another Vulcan. Why did they have to create all this stupid drama around their childhood? Why does she act as if she tried to murder Spock when they were children? Why does he have to be linked to those stupid signals? He isn't a character of this show! Stop talking about him and making up storied that have nothing to do with what we know of his future!

As a lifelong fan of ST (all but Enterprise, which I hated), I find this slow reveal interesting. Discovery is filling in blank spaces. We never knew Spock had a foster sister, but then, it doesn't mean he didn't. And this peek into Spock's mind and experiences adds depth to a character I thought I knew. So I'm going with it, at least so far.

I also like the actress who plays Amanda a lot. Just the right amount of intelligence, strength and nerve - while also folding into the Vulcan culture.

On 2/4/2019 at 6:00 AM, jah1986 said:

My biggest take away is that I cannot watch Discovery immediately after watching The Orville because Discovery almost always comes up feeling like it's lacking in comparison.

Wow. YMMV, I guess. Orville is a light-hearted romp, that never seems to quite hit the mark (usually due to sloppy writing). Discovery is heavy duty Trek, with what so far is a deep plot going in multiple directions. I like both, and watch both, but Orville is like According to Jim and Discovery is like Arrested Development, IMO.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 2

This is bad .. we have only gotten to the 3rd episode of the season and I am already suffering from major Burnham burnout: 

• The Red Signals are now Starfleet's primary priority. Who discovers the phenomenon is connected to her very own brother's childhood nightmares (by invasion of privacy)?: Michael.
  • Who may be responsible for Spock's mental breakdown?: Michael.
  • Who is Ash Tyler's secret girlfriend, causing L'Rell's leadership and the Klingon truce to be threatened?: Michael.
  • When Tilly starts seeing a spore ghost, who is her best friend and roommate that initiates figuring out the cause?: Michael.
  • Who does Amanda, Spock's mom, seek out to help with this reality's Search for Spock?: you know who.

I like the actress, so it is a shame that the showrunners are so determined to force Burnham such to be an integral part of everything. In TOS, the character of Captain Kirk was certainly a scene hog, but he wasn't the actual cause of major events (like the Klingon war). 

Is L'Rell a completely different color than in season 1? She looks completely different to me.

Starfleet's Section 31 has decided to put its trust in a cannibalistic, mass murdering, xenophobic displaced emperor - and an actual Klingon spy who had a forced human personality transplant? Those characters should have ended with season 1. It feels as if any excuse is acceptable to keep fan favorite actors. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 1

Great - more family drama as opposed to actual investigation of the unknown. And the one time they actually find "new life" they immediately rush to get rid of it (contrast this with Picard: he wanted to establish contact with entities even when they had wiped out whole planets). And even if you thought they had to protect Tilly from her fungal parasite, maybe consider the effect of ripping it out of her first given it was apparently threaded through a large part her nervous system? And since we now have reason to break into Spock's quarters given that he is now established to have a connection to the Red Angel.

On 9/14/2019 at 5:00 PM, shrewd.buddha said:

I like the actress, so it is a shame that the showrunners are so determined to force Burnham such to be an integral part of everything

Agreed. It looked like Pike's "everyone sound off your names!" scene was an attempt to establish more of the bridge crew, but now we're back to making it all about Michael.

On 2/1/2019 at 8:43 PM, MissLucas said:

On a sidenote: she mentioned children of her own, that was news to me, I thought Mirror Burnham had been her only (adopted) child.

She probably ate them for betraying her (and failing). That'll teach the others not to be incompetent when they betray their mother!

• Love 1

And it's all so unnecessary, it's just because they didn't trust their own ability to come up with new characters we might care about as much as people cared about Spock back in the 60s.

Agreed. Spock's Mommy Issues just about drove up a wall. And that was the 'A' plot? The B (Tilly) and C (Section 31) storylines worked much better for me, including a suitably awe-inspiring entrance for Michelle Yeoh ... which almost made for the complete lack of Section 31 story ground work. What we missed in S1 was a deleted scene in E15 in which Van Sprang's agent approaches MU Georgiou (now running a sex club on Kronos) and makes a recruiting pitch for Section 31, a good tease for S2—but they cut it. The cahoot-age between L'Rell and Georgiou was the part of this episode that intrigued me the most. I want to see how Section 31 plays out, especially because I *am* rooting for a spinoff. I'm shallow that way. Tilly's Imaginary Friend wasn't just getting on her nerves but mine as well, so Stamets-as-exorcist was just what we needed. But now that they've discovered (made?) a new life form, they've got some real potential, for a change.