Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: David, Goliath and a Yoo-Hoo from the Back

Bort
  • Start Topic

I loved everything with Mary, Missy and Connie. It managed to be sweet and funny. Loved Missy refusing to tell how she got into Connie’s. 

It’s a problem that Sheldon managed to be more unlikable than the kid bullying Georgie. It’s believable but the writers really need to start reeling in Sheldon’s bad behavior. He is only tolerable if there are some consequences from his parents. Being locked in a locker wasn’t enough. 

Connie telling Mary that she’s a good mom was sweet but the sentiment was undermined by everything Sheldon did. 

Edited by Guest
12 minutes ago, Dani said:

Loved Missy refusing to tell how she got into Connie’s. 

---

It’s not good the Sheldon managed to be more unlikable than the kid bullying Georgie.

---

Being locked in a locker wasn’t enough. 

I was hoping there'd be an end scene showing her getting in. 

---

Did you notice the bully's face when he learned he was expected to fight another bully? Didn't look so tough, then.

---

So did he spend the night in there? Mary didn't notice he didn't come home?

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I was hoping there'd be an end scene showing her getting in. 

That was my first though when she said she would never tell. I really hope we find out at some point. 

14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Did you notice the bully's face when he learned he was expected to fight another bully. Didn't look so tough, then.

Yes. It’s was nice to have that moment when you realize that he is just a kid. It was a surprising amount of depth for a sitcom bully. 

I really wanted to Georgie to have a moment where was vindicated. I really felt for him when he couldn’t even defend himself to his dad. It’s been a rough couple of episodes for him. 

Edited by Guest

Missy was, as usual, sheer perfection. I loved her face each time someone called her bluff about "asking." 

I did laugh at Tam's mom's note:  "You can do better." And his happiness at finding the Nutter Butter ("Maybe she DOES love me!") and him eating it during the fight. 

But I don't think I've ever loathed Sheldon so much in this show. And I've been finding him pretty unpalatable lately. I think I'll have to start FFing through his parts in this show, too. 

I wonder why there was no text on Chuck Lorre's vanity card?

• Love 11
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I'm sure she did, but I doubt that her first thought was that he was stuck in a locker.  That whole incident sounds like a story in itself.  Did Georgie know that they had gotten into that altercation with the bully?  If so, Sheldon's parents or the police might have questioned the bully.  Sheldon would probably characterize it as being in there all night whether or not it actually was, or if he had been let out around five or six.

• Love 5

I did not like Sheldon in this episode at all.

I think previous episodes have shown him to be a bit more of a confused child figuring out how to navigate the world.  Yes, he is a genius, but he also is a little kid, and "book smarts" don't always translate into "people smarts".

In this episode he was an obnoxious brat.  Period. 

Loved Missy and Connie as always.  I thought the expression on Missy's face when Connie told her about Mary climbing the tree  pretty much explained how she got into the house.

Another mystery solved.  I wondered how someone who had Connie as a mother could grow up to be so straight laced and religious.  Now I know.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I didn't like Sheldon either, but I don't like grown up Sheldon and this showed some of his path to what he ends up as.  Which is selfish, cowardly, and manipulative.

I guess the kids don't have to be adorable all the time.  They have Missy for that, and even Georgie is getting to be more likable.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Yay that we got the story on Mary and what led to her conversion!  That was very sweet of Connie to reassure Mary that she's doing a good job as a mother.   Connie's usually the ball-buster, so to hear her speak as we'd hope a Mom would speak to her daughter was really nice.   

I thought Mee-Maw made that up, hence her not telling Mary what she said to Missy.

Sheldon was obviously awful this episode.  If we had seen Georgie terrorizing Sheldon on a  regular basis up until now, it would have been a little different.  But, he doesn't.  It was nice of him to take responsibility for the fight, though.  And uncharacterisitic.  

• Love 9
19 hours ago, Dani said:

Yes. It’s was nice to have that moment when you realize that he is just a kid. It was a surprising amount of depth for a sitcom bully. 

He even looked younger and smaller in that scene. I think the camera angles earlier made him look taller.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, rmontro said:

Interesting, that thought never even occurred to me.  It's not like it's so far fetched.

Agreed. It's common to have complications with multiple births now, so I imagine there would have been a greater risk in the 1980s when Missy and Sheldon were born. 

What I love about the show is that they have 6 major characters, and keep finding different ways to pair or combine them. We had not seen Missy and Mee-Maw interacting one on one before and it worked.  

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Agreed. It's common to have complications with multiple births now, so I imagine there would have been a greater risk in the 1980s when Missy and Sheldon were born. 

For those who doubted the story, I kind of took it that they were objecting to the religious implications (I could be wrong).  But Mary gets it from somewhere, and Missy's complicated birth could well have been a faith affirming moment for her.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

For those who doubted the story, I kind of took it that they were objecting to the religious implications (I could be wrong).  But Mary gets it from somewhere, and Missy's complicated birth could well have been a faith affirming moment for her.

I was just questioning it because Meemaw didn't tell her what she said.  That's really the only reason I was questioning it.  If it were true, why not just come out and tell her.  But, it doesn't really matter to me much one way or the other.  That and Mary didn't need a tragedy, or near tragedy, to have faith.  But, it's certainly OK if she did.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

I doubted it at first but it was because of something about Annie Potts delivery when she started the story. I’m not sure what it was but it I thought she was making up the whole thing up. By the end of felt more sincere so I was convinced it was probably the real story. 

If Meemaw made up the story about Missy almost dying at birth, then she's a nastier old bitch than I thought. Why the hell would you make up a story like that to a child? I also hated that she told Missy that Mary had been "wild" in her youth. That's not for a 10-year-old to know, and is only going to fuel the arguments down the road when Missy starts going wild.

Sheldon's becoming a right bastard, and the little dickhead got exactly what he deserved. In the span of one season, he's gone from precocious child to asshole.

I absolutely despised Connie, Missy, and Sheldon in this episode.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Why the hell would you make up a story like that to a child?

To make her feel special in a family where she feels like the she's the least of the kids.  Sheldon's the genius.  Georgie's the football player, boy, dad's fave, whatever. She's the third kid that nobody cares about/has time for.

I wouldn't be surpised if the story was true except that Sheldon had been the one to almost die and Meemaw mixed it up to make Missy feel loved.

• Love 6

If the story Meemaw told about the birth is true, doesn't that mean that Sheldon is the older twin? Meemaw said his birth was fine while Missy's wasn't. If he wasn't born before Missy's complications, then both twins' births would have been considered complicated. I don't think we've ever heard which is the older before.

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:23 PM, Katy M said:

I thought Mee-Maw made that up, hence her not telling Mary what she said to Missy.

There are many possibilities.  Maybe Mary wasn't ready to share that information with Missy just yet; or maybe Connie didn't want to further upset Mary since she was already feeling down.  I hope that Connie didn't lie, but I don't think she did.  Something like that happening would be a very good reason for Mary's conversion.  

• Love 3

I doubt Mary lied.  Chuck Lorre shows aren't exactly known for their subtlety.  Unless they were setting things up for something coming down the pike there would be no reason for her to lie, and if she had lied I think there would have been a "wink" to the audience and I didn't see that.  Next time I see this episode I'll watch more closely.

I loved the "Heather M" and "Heather B" references!  

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 1
On 2/1/2019 at 6:23 PM, Katy M said:

Sheldon was obviously awful this episode.  If we had seen Georgie terrorizing Sheldon on a  regular basis up until now, it would have been a little different.  But, he doesn't.  It was nice of him to take responsibility for the fight, though.  And uncharacterisitic.  

We don't see the terrorizing much but I think it's pretty clear that Georgie has been a jerk to Sheldon for years.  And considering the age and size difference I can't really blame Sheldon for taking advantage of being a bully's friend to get his own back on Georgie.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, kili said:

If the story Meemaw told about the birth is true, doesn't that mean that Sheldon is the older twin? Meemaw said his birth was fine while Missy's wasn't. If he wasn't born before Missy's complications, then both twins' births would have been considered complicated. I don't think we've ever heard which is the older before.

She didn't really say the birth itself was complicated she said there was something wrong with Missy.  I took that to mean perhaps she wasn't breathing properly after the birth.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

We don't see the terrorizing much but I think it's pretty clear that Georgie has been a jerk to Sheldon for years.  And considering the age and size difference I can't really blame Sheldon for taking advantage of being a bully's friend to get his own back on Georgie.

That's a good point. 

I also found Tommy the "bully" interesting in that he seemed like a decent kid in his interactions with Sheldon.  Actually, I'm not so sure Tommy was a real bully.  Although he seemed like it in his first interaction with Georgie, he later told Sheldon it was because Georgie was a punk.  (And also because he hit on his girlfriend.  I'm not a fan of the macho thing, but at least he had some provocation.)   The other kid seemed much more of a true bully.

• Love 4

I agree with the above. The second kid seemed like your typical schoolyard thug who's a jerk for the sake of being a jerk. The blonde guy wouldn't even have messed with Georgie if Georgie hadn't hit on his girlfriend. 

I'm really hoping the producers can find a good balance between Sheldon the insufferable genius and Sheldon who's still a little kid. I feel like they did it beautifully in S1, but these last few episodes I felt like I was watching strictly adult Sheldon in miniature form. They need to infuse some bits of humanity. Snotty kids aren't fun to watch and nothing will make me turn the channel quicker. 

My favorite part of the episode (aside from Missy in green eyeshadow) was Tam and his Nutter Butter. I love when the show incorporates the supporting players. Missy, Georgie, Billy, Tam and Paige are all great characters and actors. I think the show is at its' best when it's not all about Sheldon.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, AnnaRose said:

That's a good point. 

I also found Tommy the "bully" interesting in that he seemed like a decent kid in his interactions with Sheldon.  Actually, I'm not so sure Tommy was a real bully.  Although he seemed like it in his first interaction with Georgie, he later told Sheldon it was because Georgie was a punk.  (And also because he hit on his girlfriend.  I'm not a fan of the macho thing, but at least he had some provocation.)   The other kid seemed much more of a true bully.

This is what I love about this show. It shows that in reality these situations are complicated. I felt bad for Georgie over the last two episodes but at the same time it was the natural result of his own behavior. He kisses Veronica and he gets punched. He hits on girls and their boyfriends threaten or humilate him. It’s not right but it is understandable. You really see that anyone can be a bully and be bullied. 

1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I'm really hoping the producers can find a good balance between Sheldon the insufferable genius and Sheldon who's still a little kid. I feel like they did it beautifully in S1, but these last few episodes I felt like I was watching strictly adult Sheldon in miniature form. They need to infuse some bits of humanity. Snotty kids aren't fun to watch and nothing will make me turn the channel quicker. 

I agree. There really hasn’t been a moment like that since Sheldon took apart the refrigerator. 

Edited by Guest
8 hours ago, Katy M said:

To make her feel special in a family where she feels like the she's the least of the kids.  Sheldon's the genius.  Georgie's the football player, boy, dad's fave, whatever. She's the third kid that nobody cares about/has time for.

I wouldn't be surpised if the story was true except that Sheldon had been the one to almost die and Meemaw mixed it up to make Missy feel loved.

I think the family dynamics are not quite that complicated.  Georgie is no longer the football player, and he wasn't a great one when he was playing.  Yes, he and his dad had that in common, but I don't think it made Georgie the favored child in George's eyes.  We've seen George be just as, if not more, caring towards Missy.  We've also seen him be caring towards Sheldon, although he clearly doesn't understand him.  In short, I don't think George has a favorite child, but he has one child that perplexes him.

Mary, on the other hand, clearly favors one child over her other two and if Georgie and Missy feel like forgotten kids, it is that they feel their mother has forgotten them.  I actually find it strange that Mary isn't closer to Missy.  Missy isn't really to the point yet where mothers and daughters start butting heads and I would think there were would at least be some gender solidarity there.  That's why I don't believe the complete accuracy of Meemaw's story.  I think what she said happened actually did happen, but it was Sheldon who had the complications.  Mary babies him unbelievably and is far more interested in his "eternal salvation" than she is with her other two kids.  In the end, unless it becomes a plot point, I guess it really isn't that important, though..

2 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

That's a good point. 

I agree with you.

Tommy was mad that Georgie essentially hit on his girlfriend which, well, I guess he has a point.  No, he shouldn't have been physically intimidating against Georgie, but at least he had a specific reason why he was mad.  You could also argue that Georgie overstepped by writing that letter to a girl he knew was involved with someone else--again, not that it warranted physical intimidation, but it isn't as if Georgie didn't start the ball rolling for conflict between the two.  In the end, both are hormonal teens whose brains aren't yet firing on all cylinders.

The other kid though....definitely a bully.

• Love 4

One thing that I really liked was the scene with Sheldon hurrying through the hallways. It’s a great moment watching him dodge and weave his way through the teenagers. 

Edited by Guest
1 hour ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I think the family dynamics are not quite that complicated.  Georgie is no longer the football player, and he wasn't a great one when he was playing.  Yes, he and his dad had that in common, but I don't think it made Georgie the favored child in George's eyes.  We've seen George be just as, if not more, caring towards Missy.  We've also seen him be caring towards Sheldon, although he clearly doesn't understand him.  In short, I don't think George has a favorite child, but he has one child that perplexes him.

In Missy's mind. Remember the interview with the psychologist, or whatever, that Meemaw witnessed.  Dad and Georgie are a team.  And mom, Meemaw and Sheldon are a team. And she doesn't have a team. She's on her own.  

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

In Missy's mind. Remember the interview with the psychologist, or whatever, that Meemaw witnessed.  Dad and Georgie are a team.  And mom, Meemaw and Sheldon are a team. And she doesn't have a team. She's on her own.  

I hadn't considered that.  However, I still think that may be a betrayal in her mind.  To her, Georgie and George are a team because they are both males, they both are interested in "guy things," and (well, maybe this) they both have the same name.  By those guidelines, she, Mary, and Meemaw should be a team...but they aren't.  So, while she may not begrudge George for leaving her out, for lack of a better term (and, really, he doesn't), she probably holds a lot of resentment towards Mary and possibly Meemaw.

2 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Georgie is no longer the football player, and he wasn't a great one when he was playing.  Yes, he and his dad had that in common, but I don't think it made Georgie the favored child in George's eyes.  We've seen George be just as, if not more, caring towards Missy.

We've never seen George take Georgie to Red Lobster.  :)

• Love 4
On 1/31/2019 at 10:58 PM, ams1001 said:

Yeah, she would have been at school,  called the police, etc.  I was also surprised to see her home with Connie having coffee since she now works.

On 2/1/2019 at 6:23 PM, Katy M said:

I thought so, too. But then if Missy ever asked Mary about her birth,  Meemaw's lie would be obvious, so it probably was the truth. 

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Yeah, she would have been at school,  called the police, etc.  I was also surprised to see her home with Connie having coffee since she now works.

You have to think they would have searched the school.  I doubt that they would have opened that particular locker, but probably would have heard Sheldon yell for help if he was alert.

Again, Sheldon would have probably characterized it as spending the night in there even if he was let out by five or six o'clock.

• Love 3

I don't think that Meemaw lied. But I also think that it was Mary's story to tell. Meemaw felt someone had to let Missy know, but didn't want to let Mary know that she had told it. I don't think I'm explaining that well. I just think that Meemaw filled in a blank for her grand-daughter, but didn't want to steal that future moment from Mary either.

As for the locker- NO WAY would Mary allow Sheldon to be out all night. However, in the child's defense about it "Being ALL NIGHT" I was stuck for 42 hours in an elevator once. Hanging in between the 4th and 5th floor waiting. OK- I was stuck in an elevator for like 15 minutes before they got it moving- but boy HOWDY when you are stuck, and have zero control over getting unstuck- it certainly FEELS longer.

As adults, we can see that the way Georgie treats Sheldon is not really bullying. But does a child see it that way? Georgie knows that Professor Proton is Sheldon's favorite TV show, he would have known when it was on. But instead, several times we've seen Georgie not letting Sheldon watch it. Sheldon had to get a job delivering newspapers. Georgie was supposed to help show him the ropes- instead, Georgie allowed them to throw the newspapers at a brother he KNEW would not be able to catch them. The countless times Sheldon is told to shut up, or that Georgie is annoyed to have to admit he's related to Sheldon.

As for Mary worrying about Sheldon's immortal soul- of course. Yes, Missy and Georgie  have discipline problems, but they don't actively profess a disbelief in God like Sheldon. Of course Mary would worry more about the child that says, "There is no God, it's illogical" than the ones who misbehave then say, "Sorry God."

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Bali said:

Georgie allowed them to throw the newspapers at a brother he KNEW would not be able to catch them.

What exactly was Georgie supposed to do about that?  Georgie has no control over the adult newspaper distributors. The first time he could have warned Sheldon to not stand right there, but Sheldon being a genius, should have figured that out on his own the next time.

23 minutes ago, Bali said:

As adults, we can see that the way Georgie treats Sheldon is not really bullying. But does a child see it that way? Georgie knows that Professor Proton is Sheldon's favorite TV show, he would have known when it was on. But instead, several times we've seen Georgie not letting Sheldon watch it. 

In my experience, that is not the way it worked with siblings. Control of the tv was a huge issue between me and my older brother. If you wanted to watch something specific you had to get there first or you were probably out of luck.

12 minutes ago, Dani said:

In my experience, that is not the way it worked with siblings. Control of the tv was a huge issue between me and my older brother. If you wanted to watch something specific you had to get there first or you were probably out of luck.

Yep. Possession of the TV or remote is 9/10ths of the law.  Although, I think if my sister and I both had something we wanted to watch every day at the same time, my mom would have made us alternate days so she wouldn't have to hear the yelling.  And I had a friend who every year before the new season started, she and her brother picked which days of the week they would have control of the TV. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Yep. Possession of the TV or remote is 9/10ths of the law.  Although, I think if my sister and I both had something we wanted to watch every day at the same time, my mom would have made us alternate days so she wouldn't have to hear the yelling.  And I had a friend who every year before the new season started, she and her brother picked which days of the week they would have control of the TV. 

Lol. The joys of having one TV before DVR’s were invented. Just one more things kids today will never understand. 

Our fighting got so bad we had to switch every half hour. One day I would have control on the hour and he would have control at the half hour and it would switch the next day. It was even written on the calendar. Then we would have to negotiate to swap slots if we wanted to watch longer than 30 minutes. 

3 hours ago, Bali said:

As adults, we can see that the way Georgie treats Sheldon is not really bullying. But does a child see it that way?

I agree that most of what they've shown may not be true bullying but I don't think they're showing everything.  I have no trouble believing Georgie picks on Sheldon - but I also think he's smart enough to be careful about what he does and when.

• Love 1