Type keyword(s) to search

Mexican Dynasties - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Episode 1:

"Dynasties, Dinero, and Dysfunction"

Doris Bessudo returns to Mexico City to help her mother, Raquel, pick up the pieces after Doris' father's death; Fernando and Mari Allende anticipate the arrival of their son, Elan, and his wife, Jenny; Oscar Madrazo returns home from a vacation.

Airs February 26, 2019.*

*Bravo has put this first episode up on YouTube.

I liked the first episode.  I love the eccentric nature of the family and the vibrancy of the show and hope it is a keeper.

My only beef is that it's hard to think of the vast difference in income between people like those on the show and the masses in Mexico.   Poverty abounds and for just a small number to enjoy that kind of wealth is offensive (I do understand the poverty in their country is not their fault so I'm not begrudging the families personally).

The USA is heading in the same direction given the decline of the middle class.    I guess that is how it is all over the world though. e Pretty scary, actually.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 7

I LOVED IT!!!  This is officially my new shit.  Mari wearing jewelry to the emergency drill killed me.  Seriously, dead.  This woman will NOT be caught unawares!  And I cracked up  at a) her refusal to wear flats right away & b) that not a damn one in the household made it anywhere on time for that drill.  But damn, that plastic surgery on her & her husband!  

The Bessudos…why do I feel that these women are who D'Andra & Mama Dee from RHoD wish they could be!  And I like that the daughter gives her mom grief every time mom makes a comment on her (the daughter's) weight. The Doritos?  Yaaas!!!

And I am here for the staff's THs…usually talking gentle smack.  

• Love 10

The brother/sister combo were freaky to me.  Way too close.  Always freaks me out when brothers and sisters talk about their masturbation habits.

Raquel is stunning, plastic surgery and all.  However, the storyline of berating her daughter over what she eats and her weight is irritating.  

• Love 5

Episode 2:

"A Star Is Torn"

Elan and Jenny kick off their music career by signing with a major Mexican record label; Adan auditions for the talent show, "La Voz"; Doris adjusts to working at home; she convinces Raquel to attend Oscar and Paulina's Canasta party.

Airs March 5, 2019.

The dad, who was some star in Mexico, really thinks the younger son has a fantastic vocal range?  He's mediocre at best.  I've heard better voices in singing groups I used to perform with locally.  Seriously way more talented than this kid.  I just looked online to see if I could watch his audition (wasn't paying attention - guess he bailed on it due to the 'bad contract).  I found some covers he did recorded online.  Seriously out of tune, like way out of tune.  

• Love 9
(edited)
4 hours ago, TexasGal said:

I repeat - the siblings are too much.  I don’t know if I can watch them.  I’m putting the younger Allende son tentatively on the same list.

Jaime and Cersei Lannister are like “you are too close”!!

I need to see Raquel and Dee from Dallas in the same room to convince me they aren’t the same person.

Is anyone fluent in Spanish? Curious about the “ugly one” convo because according to the subtitles his mother answered in the affirmative and reiterated that he was the “ugly one” but it was in a light and sweet tone. 

I admit that I am not hip to a lot of today’s music but is Harry Styles really what is considered “Indie rock” nowadays?

Also, not for nothing Adan you are 27 years old saying “I have made over 25k as an artist in my life” is not impressive. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Is anyone fluent in Spanish? Curious about the “ugly one” convo because according to the subtitles his mother answered in the affirmative and reiterated that he was the “ugly one” but it was in a light and sweet tone. 

I'm not fluent but have studied it a bit.  She definitely said "feo" which is ugly.  And his mother did agree so I think the uncle's interpretation of it being a sarcastic joke is correct.  "Oh this is the ugly one" when you mean they are actually gorgeous.

11 hours ago, hoosier80 said:

The dad, who was some star in Mexico, really thinks the younger son has a fantastic vocal range?  He's mediocre at best.  I've heard better voices in singing groups I used to perform with locally.  Seriously way more talented than this kid.  I just looked online to see if I could watch his audition (wasn't paying attention - guess he bailed on it due to the 'bad contract).  I found some covers he did recorded online.  Seriously out of tune, like way out of tune.  

I wonder if he didn't make the show and they are using the contract issue as an excuse?  Although if dad is as famous as they are saying, and Mexican reality tv is anything like ours, they would totally cast him just to capitalize on using dad's name left and right.  Especially if he always sings as flat as he did in his version of the Star Spangled Banner last night. 

• Love 3
On 3/6/2019 at 12:33 AM, biakbiak said:

I'm eight years late to the Game of Thrones party.  I just started binging last month and am loving the show - but I especially love the comparison of the two sets of siblings!

Spot on!

• Love 2
On 3/6/2019 at 12:33 AM, biakbiak said:

I need to see Raquel and Dee from Dallas in the same room to convince me they aren’t the same person.

I admit that I am not hip to a lot of today’s music but is Harry Styles really what is considered “Indie rock” nowadays?

Also, not for nothing Adan you are 27 years old saying “I have made over 25k as an artist in my life” is not impressive. 

It is a term of endearment to call children feo, fea (el feito, la feita).

You are actually getting called beautiful.

The  adults say that to us (fea/feo) to keep our heads from blowing up or giving us a superiority complex.

You see how it worked?  

That child had a complete meltdown when he thought he was being called ugly. 

He is already growing up with a superiority complex. 

We call this ‘complejo’ in Latin culture. It is so much more than calling a child feo/fea.....or, simply translating the word ‘feo’ into ‘ugly.’

It is a lesson in diversity.

$25,000 is around 480,000 pesos.

This show is not holding my interest. Pity!  People promoting themselves instead of showing us their affluent lifestyle.

They all look embalmed to me.  

Adan reminds me of Joel Osteen and Raquel of Walter Mercado.

Hopefully, they do something fun next week!

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, Dance4Life said:

He is already growing up with a superiority complex. 

I don’t understand how not getting the context when the woman is fawning over how beautiful his cousins are indicates he is growing up with a superiority complex.

• Love 3

I’m still loving this show and looking forward to it with excitement!  The people all seem so joyful and content with life and happiness (so far anyway).  I just love the characters.  

Refreshing change from the constant fighting and turmoil on the HW shows.  I know we’re only 2 episodes in, but this show makes me smile, rather than giving me a headache.

• Love 8

So far so good. I took the ugly thing as a joke but that poor kid DID NOT! 

The only thing that bugged with the kids was reminding them of a slight and then going up to Doris??? and basically telling her the children where hurt....blah blah blah. Unnecessary.

• Love 1
On 3/5/2019 at 10:15 PM, whydoievencare said:

Is this show for real?  Seriously.  Is it?  (Well, I mean as real as any of these Bravo shows are.)

Thank you!  I thought this show was a spoof.  After reading all of the positive comments I was starting to think there was something seriously wrong with me until I read your comment.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Episode 3:

"La Voz of Reason"

Oscar's birthday begins with a mariachi band and ends with a wild S&M themed party; Jenny and Elan move their kids to Mexico; Adan worries he made the wrong decision about "La Voz."

Airs March 12, 2019.

On 3/8/2019 at 10:08 AM, Koalagirl said:

Thank you!  I thought this show was a spoof.  After reading all of the positive comments I was starting to think there was something seriously wrong with me until I read your comment.

The cast is eccentric and colorful!  I'm not super knowledgeable about Mexican culture.  I did, however, date a Mexican for years and studied the Spanish language, history, and literature a smidge.

The flavor of the show is similar to what I imagine a great big traditional Mexican fiesta would be like - lots of family, color, music, dancing, drinking, singing, flirting, and general happiness.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 4

I was on the kids side with the ugly thing. That old woman is a monster. I am liking Oscar & his cute kids. Her daughter must really want to be on tv. I would leave her by herself & her horrid plastic surgery.  I went to Spain when I was 14 & had just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes three weeks earlier. I was rail thin from from the new diet & just for being a 14 year old girl who ran & rode her bike everywhere. I didn’t eat my gazpacho & my teacher told the waiter that I didn’t eat anything (a whole other comment in front of a girl with a new disease) & he grabbed my arm & shook it & said “she must eat something...” Maybe that was the Spanish culture but 25 years later I still remember him. So fuck that waiter & fuck Raquel. (Still love Spain & eat gazpacho now)

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I can't stand Adan; he's living with his parents because he doesn't want to grow up.  He just wants to stay home and pretend to be an artist.  

I loved him saying he stayed at home to take care of his parents as if he even takes care of himself. And he is clearly in love with his sister in law. Her laughing at everything she said was uncomfortable.

I am curious about the father(s) of Paulina’s kids. Oscar mentioned wanting her to have kids when he did the surrogacy and her daughter looks fairly close in age to his twins. 

How weird to have an S&M party when you are basically cohosting with your sister and inviting parents and their adult children including your own elderly mother! I blame 50 Shades of Grey for this as a lame ass theme. Though they’re mother was adorable in the Lucha libre mask.

Were they paid by how many times they mentioned La Voz.

Doris seemed like an idiot when Mari pointed out that none of the people on La Voz had any success after being on it and her not denying it saying simply they weren’t managed properly though she was right about the videos.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

I like Adan so far.  

He DOES need to get a job and pull his own weight but other than that, I have no problem with him living at home with his parents.  Why not?  They enjoy each other's company.  And, it's quite common in many countries.  It's the US that puts a premium on "self" rather than "family", IMO.   I would love it if my family was close like this. 

When/if the time arises he wants to start his own family or become more independent, he'll go.  But neither of these things are required in life.

It's the getting a job/career thing that I take most issue with.

• Love 1

I have no problem with him living with his parents except that it seems to be much more about the lifestyle it affords him than anything else and he apparently bitches to his brother and sister-in-law about it. Also, from what he says he doesn’t have a lot of friends and mostly hangs out and does everything with his parents which is not normal. He is also a sullen, spoiled brat.

• Love 6

Paulina "We've always woken up every single person of our family singing the Mananitas, which is the Mexican happy birthday song ..."

Oscar : "This is the first time in my life that I wake up to that song ..."

Alrighty then.

Mommie Dearest and Doris fighting over Adan at that strangely stilted S&M party was ... something else.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Oscar : "This is the first time in my life that I wake up to that song ..."

I thought he said "with a full band".  I could've misheard.

Adan loves the perks of living with mommy & daddy: no rent, no bills, no responsibilities.  But he'd like to get laid more.  Preferably by his brother's wife.

I fell out when Mom snuck up in the Lucha mask, bat in hand.

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, OnceSane said:

I thought he said "with a full band".  I could've misheard.

Adan loves the perks of living with mommy & daddy: no rent, no bills, no responsibilities.  But he'd like to get laid more.  Preferably by his brother's wife.

I fell out when Mom snuck up in the Lucha mask, bat in hand.

He did, he said with a full mariachi. 

• Love 3

LOL at the mother wearing the S & M  outfit. To look at her she looks like a snooty society lady. But she sounds like she'd be real fun.  And to add to the baseball bat story that she thought he was going to tell the story about the pistol.  

The penthouse woman, sorry bad with names, looks like she could play a part in a horror movie.  Her face is kinda scary.

Raquel reminds me of snobby woman who think they are doing you a favor by pointing out their flaws.

My favorite on the show, is Nacho, of course!

• Love 4

Episode 4:

"A Family Fractured"

The families celebrate Mari and Fernando's 31st wedding anniversary on the canals of Xochimilco; Adan brings Doris along to a recording session with Ricky Martin's producer; Jenny and Elan record new songs; tensions reach a boiling point.

Airs March 19, 2019.

Even if the older son and his wife end up on all sorts of Top 40 charts or whatever the metric of success is in their industry, the parents will not acknowledge their success.  They should stop trying, move on with their lives without the 'rents and wait for Adan to crash and burn as he inevitably will.

The father is a narcissistic bumpkin past his prime and mom is no better.  They're putting all their eggs into one basket and that basket is close to being dropped.  The handwriting is on the wall with this one.

• Love 7

Jenny (I really just want to call her Yoko bec it's more memorable) needs to take all kinds of deep breaths with her in laws.  Why does she care so much about her brother in law and whether he's a spoiled man child?  

6 hours ago, TexasGal said:

Jenny (I really just want to call her Yoko bec it's more memorable) needs to take all kinds of deep breaths with her in laws.  Why does she care so much about her brother in law and whether he's a spoiled man child?  

I think because it really does bother her husband that they ignore him but he is just so used to it that he doesn’t do anything about it so she gets upset on his behalf. I know I get pissed off about how my bf’s father treats him and his brother differently where he is just resigned to the difference even though it hurts him.

I am impressed with the twins language skills. They seem to think in both English and Spanish (is not translating on their head) which is a skill that not all bilingual people have. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 9

I am beginning to think that everyone is singing horrendously on purpose for the show.  Everyone is just so absurdly bad and tone deaf.  There's no way they are actually that awful, it HAS to be an act.  Or extraordinarily careful editing.

• Love 3

Considering Adan sounded exactly the same when he sang for the producers as he did when he tried to find his note practicing at home…

Look, I'm not saying he can't sing at all, I'm just saying he's not good at it.

What's up with Jenny's "sexy" singing voice?  It was really distracting.  I liked her standing up for her husband, though.  And telling her in-laws that it was really shitty to try to horn in on Yoko & Son's success by forcing their less-talented younger son onto their producers.

Those parents are clearly butt hurt that Elan wanted to be his own man and are blaming Yoko instead of their smothering parenting style.  It sounds like Elan made this decision and then met Yoko before reconciling with his parents.  Mari is so jealous of Doris, but can't see that her (& her husband's) clear preference for their "precious angel" has fractured their family.

Speaking of Doris, her reunion with her husband was absolutely adorable!  I want more of them!

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, OnceSane said:

butt hurt that Elan wanted to be his own man and are blaming Yoko instead of their smothering parenting style.  It sounds like Elan made this decision and then met Yoko before reconciling with his parents. 

He was still living with his parents when he met her. They mentioned it because she met Adan first and forgot they were brothers and when she came over for a date and he opened the door. Also, the reason that he calls her Yoko is that the brothers were in a band together managed by their parents and he chose her over the band.

I am not an anyway saying that she is responsible just that he wasn’t standing on his own before he met her and was very tied to his parents. Also, as for being his own man doesn’t he work for her father? 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Also, as for being his own man doesn’t he work for her father? 

Be his own man as in not having his parents handhold him through his music career.  I believe he got the job with her dad so he could still make enough money to support their family while pursuing music.  Besides, something tells me that brother duo group would have been/was a lot of "Elan, can Adan sing this part alone?  His voice is like an angel!  Yes, I know you actually sing in key, but he's so perfect!"

• Love 4
On 3/20/2019 at 12:27 PM, b2H said:

The father is a narcissistic bumpkin past his prime and mom is no better.  They're putting all their eggs into one basket and that basket is close to being dropped.  The handwriting is on the wall with this one.

I thought it was gross when they were at the bar and Fernando and no talent Adan took over the stage.   Fernando can't even put his fucking ego aside to praise his elder son who isn't a Fernando clone.

Adan doesn't even know who he is, he doesn't know what style of music he wants to sing, yet he wants to sing at the Super Bowl and be an international star by the time he's 35.

• Love 7