Type keyword(s) to search

The Stand - General Discussion

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

It will be interesting to see what they do. Fingers crossed that they don't need it up. Either way, I've been a King fan since I was a child and The Stand is a lifetime favorite so I'll be there with bells. 

Edited by AuntieMame
  • Love 1
On 2/10/2019 at 7:41 PM, AuntieMame said:

It will be interesting to see what they do. Fingers crossed that they don't need it up. Either way, I've been a King fan since I was a child and The Stand is a lifetime favorite so I'll be there with bells. 

Lifetime favorite times 2. Sadly the book was so great that I still haven't seen anything yet that came close to its greatness.

• Love 1

The book is definitely long enough to break it up into several seasons. However, I can’t imagine who they could cast in this to make it good. 

The TV Miniseries had some pretty well know actors, Gary Sinise, Rob Lowe, Ruby Dee,  Molly Ringwall etc., I just hope it doesn’t turn into the fiasco that was Under The Dome. 

• Love 3

I am really looking forward to this.  To be honest All Access hasn’t had too much going for it other then newTrek and only half the audience actually likes that.  So far I have watched The new version of the twilight zone and it is......boring.     I am thinking about checking out Tell Me A Story But other then that so far the only reason to pay for all Access is the Trek Francise unless you like the good wife.

unless this turn out to be half as fun as the original which I really liked.  I know unpopular opinion but I really enjoyed the miniseries way back when.   I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is half creepy half corny.   

• Love 1

I accidentally happened upon this topic and  had not heard anything about re-booting The Stand.  Best King book, and a great miniseries with two exceptions:

Harold was not a skinny geek, but a fat guy who got skinny.

Molly Ringwald, no, you are not Frannie.

Tom was perfect casting and Rob Lowe was a very pleasant surprise.

And no project can go wrong with a cameo by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar!!

• Love 8

I'm reading The Stand again for the first time in ages. I can't wait to see who they cast for Randall Flagg and Tom.

I noticed Marilyn Manson is listed in the cast on Imdb. Trashcan man maybe? Matt Frewer was perfect in that role.

I think Greg Kinnear will do a good job as Glen Bateman, played by Ray Walston in the original. I loved Mr. Hand.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think I can bet behind James Marsden as Stu. I didn't really like what's his face in the original miniseries.

Will be interested in seeing who plays Flagg.

Edited by TimetoShine
  • Love 1
On 7/26/2019 at 10:48 AM, Lady Iris said:

1. I'm reading The Stand again for the first time in ages. I can't wait to see who they cast for Randall Flagg and Tom.

2. I noticed Marilyn Manson is listed in the cast on Imdb. Trashcan man maybe? 3. Matt Frewer was perfect in that role.

I think Greg Kinnear will do a good job as Glen Bateman, played by Ray Walston in the original. I loved Mr. Hand.

1. Agreed

2. I kind of hope not.

3. Agreed.

• Love 1

I love me Alexander Skaaaaaarsgaaaard but I'm a bit betwixt and between about him as Randall Flagg. I know he's got the menacing angle down but what I liked about Jamey Sheridan's portrayal was the gleeful joy he took in being evil. I'm sure AS will do fine, he's a good actor. I just hope he finds that evil gleeful devil inside.

I do wonder if we'll get another Stephen King cameo mixed in somewhere. I hope so. Its always a cute surprise seeing him turn up in his stories that way.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lady Iris said:

I love me Alexander Skaaaaaarsgaaaard but I'm a bit betwixt and between about him as Randall Flagg. I know he's got the menacing angle down but what I liked about Jamey Sheridan's portrayal was the gleeful joy he took in being evil. I'm sure AS will do fine, he's a good actor. I just hope he finds that evil gleeful devil inside.

I guess when I think of Flagg I think of Jamey Sheridan. 

• Love 2

I wish they had gotten matthew mcconaughey to play Flagg.  That's the only thing that got me through that awful Dark Tower movie.  Otherwise he should have played Roland.  The rumor at the time was they offered him both roles and he took Martyn so he could play Flagg in this re-boot.  I think he would have made an amazing Flagg.  I have faith in the Skaaargaaards as King villains though.  His brother was great in IT and Castle Rock. 

Personally, I think he was playing the same character in both.  

• Love 3
(edited)
On 9/11/2019 at 3:00 PM, libgirl2 said:

I like Whoopi and think she will be great. 

Not sure how I feel about the other. I have to think about this one. 

I like Whoopi and think she’s a descent actress, but I’m not sure she’s the best pick for this role. Ruby Dee was unforgettable as Mother Abigail. She was everything I imagined she’d be. I just can’t see Whoopi becoming that character the way Ruby Dee did.  I guess we’ll see though. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 2

I'm not sure how I feel about this reboot.  Excepting Molly Ringwald, the casting for the original was really good.  I can't imagine anyone other than Gary Sinise as Stu.  Although I do like James Marsden.  I'm torn!  Same with Ray Walston vs Greg Kinnear.   And the madness that was Laura San Giacomo.   Ruby Dee as Mother Abigail will be hard to top. 

I'm actually surprised at how heavily I associate a lot of actors with their characters in The Stand!  I guess it made a bigger impact on me than I thought.

• Love 7

I saw an ad on Pluto for CBS All Access and this show was included. I've only caught a few seconds of that ad, once. But it has me interested, I may get CBS All Access just to watch this.

But it also got me interested in rereading the book, so I bought it last week on my Kindle. I'm not very far into the book, Flagg just released Lloyd from prison and the movement of all the people to the west has not begun. But I do keep envisioning the actors from the first series as the characters. Every time I read a Stu section, I picture Gary Sinese, I fell in love with him when I saw the mini series. Flagg is Jamey Sheridan. Harold Lauder is Corin Nemec. Molly Ringwald as Frannie, not so much. I just finished the first meet up of Stu and Glen Batemen and the entire scene was Gary Sinese and Ray Walston. 

It will be interesting to see a different cast.

The one thing I'm not so sure about doing it in present day is Mother Abigail.  A very big part of her character was having her being the daughter of former slaves, and unless they're going to handwave her as being even older than 108, that math doesn't work out.  Although it'll be interesting to see if they bring up the 1918 flu, since she would have been a child during it.  Upon reflection, I'm even more surprised that King didn't raise it in the book as far as I remember.

• Useful 1
On 9/9/2020 at 7:53 AM, starri said:

I'm even more surprised that King didn't raise it in the book as far as I remember.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through the book on a reread and no , there's no mention of the 1918 flu. I'll be finished reading in about 18 more hours, and that probably won't be by the end of the day, lol.

Update, just read the first real passage about Mother Abigail late last night, in there, she does mention losing family in the flu epidemic of 1912 and 1918.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Useful 1

I don't understand about this airing on "CBS All Access".  Does that mean it's not actually going to be shown on the CBS channel?  There's a cable channel I have to subscribe to?

I had no idea this was happening until I just got an unblocked ad. I love A-Skars and he was terrific as the abusive asshole, Perry, in Big Little Lies. I think he’ll be fine. I enjoyed the original mini-series but I’m not attached to any of it. 

But yeah, I’m going to find a way to watch an end-of-the-world pandemic show that ends with the good people winning, because fuck 2020. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Haleth said:

Is this going to be available all at once or will episodes drop weekly?  CBS All Access is offering a free week if we can binge the show.  (Anyone know how many hours/episodes there are?)

Unfortunately, one per week, for 10 eps total. (Someone check me on the total?) 

• Love 1
On 12/9/2020 at 1:32 PM, Frost said:

I don't understand about this airing on "CBS All Access".  Does that mean it's not actually going to be shown on the CBS channel?  There's a cable channel I have to subscribe to?

Since there is enough profanity to fill a book, if this would air on CBS, there would be enough “fudge” for you to open your own Annies Fudge Franchise.

• LOL 1

Okay, question:

Spoiler

In the scene where Frannie is dragging her father's body downstairs for burial, we hear the president on the radio.  Am I crazy, or is that Bryan Cranston delivering the speech?

1 hour ago, GustavMahler said:

Since there is enough profanity to fill a book, if this would air on CBS, there would be enough “fudge” for you to open your own Annies Fudge Franchise.

Yeah, that was definitely an eye-opener for me.

I was kind of surprised that they pulled me back in at the end.  I figured they were mostly going to keep the collapse of society offscreen, but then we end up circling back.

Whoever the guy playing Harold is, he's terrific.  There were points where if you'd told me he was Jim Carrey's son, I would have believed you.

• Love 2

Did anyone else notice and find it weird that when Gen. Starkey was quoting Yeats' "The Second Coming" the most crucial line was omitted? It goes ......things fall apart, the centre cannot hold" and he didn't read "the centre cannot hold", which I believe is the line quoted specifically in the 1994 mini series.  Just struck me as odd.

• Love 7