Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E06: Honey, I'm Home?

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Crazy Bird Lady said:

I know it varies from state to state, but Keith was listed initially as a "Dialysis Technician". 

If that is accurate (and not just what he aspires to become), he is probably already an "Advanced Practice" nurse, meaning he has at least a 4 year nursing degree (with special training). 

I think nurses probably don't make as much money in his state as you might think...  And in any case, Queen Kristine is attractive, very personable, and most likely quite successful at what she does!

Keith is listed before the show as a patient care tech and then the show switched to Dialysis Tech? Both are quick programs, under 2 years , sometimes not even needing a degree. In PA there are still hospital based training programs that don't even require attending a Community college. 

Keith has stated his goal is medical school and becoming a doctor. He is working on his Bachelors right now so an MD is far off. I hope his bachelors is in nursing but it did not sound like it. He would be much better off going into nursing and then maybe in the future going becoming a nurse practioner. 

Dialysis nurses can make good money in Philly. I did way to much research on this during the Kate Gosselin days. She was a Dialysis RN (and she did not go to college just trained at a hospital program and took the exam) and she was making over 70k a year 15 years ago. A Dialysis Tech makes under 40k so for a about a year or training or school to jump 30k is a good return. Keith dream of becoming a doctor is a long expensive stressful road as he is 30 and not near finished (I say this as someone who was previously married to a medical student and resident). 

I am way more curious about Kristine's salary. Am I missing a hidden way relators make money? It clearly shows she sold 6 homes las year and had one rental agreement. The highest price home she sold was 264k but average was under 175k so these are not huge commissions to add up to a good yearly income. Makes sense she was living at home. Is this her first career, like has she been doing this for years or is it new? I could only see sales back to 2016. Sales are really easy to see. We are moving in May and I have websites up in PA/NY/CT the states we are thinking of moving and watching listing daily so it was easy to look for an agent's sales.  

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, Crazy Bird Lady said:

Keith's Grandmother won't live forever, but for now that would be a sensible compromise (right now Keith's burning the candle at both ends --with 4 work shifts, 5 days of advanced college classes, plenty of homework, and [now] an hour or so at the gym every day because the Queen wants it.) 

The guy really is trying to improve himself, and at the moment I don't think cooking should be top priority!   

Or the grandmother will nag Kristine about why she isn't waiting on her grandson hand and foot. The grandmother might be nice but she has also enabled his childish behavior and dated expectations about marriage.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

I don't get this.  Why should Will have sex with someone if he's not attracted to her.  It's like people can't win on this show.  If a man says he's not attracted to a woman, he's a jerk, if he tries to be nice about it, he's a jerk. 

Jasmine doesn't know what the hell she wants, she wants a fantasy.  Jasmine isn't a child, I'm sure she knows her father isn't perfect.  Jasmine turns me off with this nonsense, "you're the man."  Please woman, you make your own money, you're independent.  Will said 50/50 not 1950.

When people say, "So and so can do better" what does that even mean?  Where are these magical people?  Do they exist?  

Women have different standards.  Some women expect/require their men to pay the majority of the bills.  Yes, even some working women.  I say different strokes for different folks.  The expert should ask these questions before pairing.  If I tell the experts, I want a man who will be the breadwinner, I do not expect to be paired with a man who has a problem with that.  I wonder if the experts asked these questions.

I also was not saying Will should have sex with her.  Just that I'm surprised that he turned out to be the one withholding because Jasmine looks better and more put together than him to me.  Sorry I should have explained better.

Edited by dirtypop90
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, dirtypop90 said:

If Will isn't bringing anything to the table because he is not attracted to Jasmine, why should she change?  A guy just being nice isn't really enough for me, and that's all I'm hearing people say about him..he "seems nice"  Not that he can provide, good-looking, charming, romantic, kind, selfless, thoughtful.  I just don't see what make him better than Jasmine, especially when she's younger and makes more money.

We don’t know that she makes more money. They haven’t gotten that far yet. She just assumed he would pay all the bills because that’s how her parents handled things. 

And maybe he could provide all those things if she’d give him a chance. 

• Love 2
Just now, Soup333 said:

We don’t know that she makes more money. They haven’t gotten that far yet. She just assumed he would pay all the bills because that’s how her parents handled things. 

And maybe he could provide all those things if she’d give him a chance. 

I thought Pastor Cal said she did?  Maybe I was half listening.  I think Jasmine has given him plenty of chances to step up.  I see a man that doesn't want to, and I doesn't see him changing.  But we will see.  The thing about Jasmine is I think she will walk if she's not getting what she needs.  I don't see them stuck together and unhappy.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, dirtypop90 said:

If Will isn't bringing anything to the table because he is not attracted to Jasmine, why should she change?  A guy just being nice isn't really enough for me, and that's all I'm hearing people say about him..he "seems nice"  Not that he can provide, good-looking, charming, romantic, kind, selfless, thoughtful.  I just don't see what make him better than Jasmine, especially when she's younger and makes more money.

6 minutes ago, dirtypop90 said:

She shouldn’t change.  She is what she is.  If there is no connection, they wait it out and go their separate ways.  Who knows?  By the end of six weeks there could be a turn around.  Why is Dr. Blondie not all over this delima?  Isn’t this where she comes in and has a talk with them about no sexy time?  Calling Dr. Blondie, Sex Therapist!  Where are you?

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

She shouldn’t change.  She is what she is.  If there is no connection, they wait it out and go their separate ways.  Who knows?  By the end of six weeks there could be a turn around.  Why is Dr. Blondie not all over this delima?  Isn’t this where she comes in and has a talk with them about no sexy time?  Calling Dr. Blondie, Sex Therapist!  Where are you?

You can call her, but if the attraction ain't there, it ain't there.  Best to just go your separate ways.

• Love 6

I think this is the first time I have seen a groom not interested in having sex on his honeymoon with his willing and ready wife.  Am I right?  Oh, excuse me .. there’s that sloth weirdo, Kate’s husband.  I forgot his name for a second.

• Love 5

Sexy AF has figured out there are two AJs...

Wound UP AJ and Frustrated, Lashing out AJ...

AJ OVERACTS disproportionately when he feels that he is losing even a tiny bit of control or he is put on the spot.

He tore Sexy AF's head off when she asked him if his ugly Ace-King-Queen and poker chip "art" was coming to the new place...

AJ went into a desperately pathetic explanation about "tearing the place up" when a "yes" or "no" would have sufficed. SexyAF was being playful you asshat....

Hope when AJ is watching the shows on Tuesday evenings, he is remorseful for his shabby behavior to his wife and sends Sexy AF a giant bouquet of flowers on Wednesday mornings to her work place for the shitty tone of voice, totally uncalled for and ugly way he treats her in his fits of panic....

Sexy AF must be counting to 20...50 so she won't respond to his outbursts...

• Love 12

Jasmine should have been matched with Vaughn from Season 1. Remember when he told Monet he preferred traditional gender roles and that he would pay all the bills and when they go out and she clutched her pearls.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, dirtypop90 said:

I thought Pastor Cal said she did?  Maybe I was half listening.  I think Jasmine has given him plenty of chances to step up.  I see a man that doesn't want to, and I doesn't see him changing.  But we will see.  The thing about Jasmine is I think she will walk if she's not getting what she needs.  I don't see them stuck together and unhappy.

I think it was a hypothetical, although he may well know how much they both make. If I recall correctly, neither Jasmine nor Will said anything about who made more.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, dirtypop90 said:

If Will isn't bringing anything to the table because he is not attracted to Jasmine, why should she change?  A guy just being nice and having a job isn't really enough for me (and a lot of other women), and that's all I'm hearing people say about him..he "seems nice."  Not that he can provide, good-looking, charming, romantic, kind, selfless, or thoughtful.  I just don't see what make him a better catch than Jasmine, especially when she's younger and makes more money.

She may be younger and make more money, but she doesn’t have a man.  I’d rather have the man.

I don't know if any of you watch Big Brother but Luke reminds of of Paul Abrahamian from Big Brother 18 and 19. He finished second both seasons because... well, basically, he's an ass.  Lukes friends all thinks he is this super sweet guy but we all see what he is really like and how he is treating Kate. Luke will always finish second in life, just like Paul.

I also wonder, since she was at one of his speed date things, if he saw something on her speed dating application he didn't like or something he isn't telling us. I know she isn't his type (and I get that... before I was married I only dated dark hair men and if I was to get set up with a light haired dude I would not be happy about it)... but could there be something else from that one meeting that we don't know about?

As for Kate.. I don't really like her that much either. She is so in love with the idea of being in love, I am afraid she won't leave him and she NEEDS to leave him. They get so little air time, I wonder if they are going to ghost us before the season is over.  

• Love 7
4 hours ago, OnTime said:
17 hours ago, Soup333 said:

Stephanie: I don’t like stuff cluttering up the bathroom counters.

AJ: Whatever.

Stephanie: I bought a shower caddy.

AJ: God, I hate those things.

Refrigerator: refrigerates

AJ: This thing is annoying.

Stephanie: I recycle.

AJ: Fuck this planet.

I have a feeling this is producer scripted!

I think you're 100% correct on this. I thought the same thing, both when AJ got pissy about the homework assignment on their honeymoon and the crabbiness during the move. About half of what went down would be normal reactions (IMO) -- I think the other half is producer-directed. It's exaggerated and not organic to the situation. AJ and Stephanie needed a 'hook' and AJ's 'temper' is it. Fakety-fake-fake.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

I don't get this.  Why should Will have sex with someone if he's not attracted to her.  It's like people can't win on this show.  If a man says he's not attracted to a woman, he's a jerk, if he tries to be nice about it, he's a jerk. 

Jasmine doesn't know what the hell she wants, she wants a fantasy.  Jasmine isn't a child, I'm sure she knows her father isn't perfect.  Jasmine turns me off with this nonsense, "you're the man."  Please woman, you make your own money, you're independent.  Will said 50/50 not 1950.

When people say, "So and so can do better" what does that even mean?  Where are these magical people?  Do they exist?  

The other part of the "you're the man" thing that drives me insane with Jasmine is that according to her Will should initiate sex every time. That is unrealistic. 

1) This mindset sets the other person up to read your mind which is impossible and especially hard to do with someone you have known 2 weeks.

2) It can set the other person up for a high amount of rejection. If only one person initiates, then only one person ever hears "no". 

In my opinion, sex is yet another aspect of adult married life that Jasmine isn't assessing realistically. I need her to read a book on relationships or get a real therapist (instead of these nitwit experts) because she is going to encounter a lot of hard times if she remains married to Will. Frankly, I think she will have a hard time if they divorce and she actually gets the type of marriage she thinks she wants because the power differential will be so great.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

That kind of hair style makes me itch with wanting to get it off the eye.

Ugh..can't stand Jamie..I'm outta here. 

Haha.  Instead of getting better, she’s getting worse.  Talks a mile a minute, and that phoney laugh.

• Love 2

Apparently Luke was blindsided by the fact that he verbally, and emotionally abused Kate.   I really wish that after he was made aware by Pastor Cal that he would have sat her down and had a nice long chat about how bad he felt for hurting her, a little acknowledgement in this episode would have went a long ways.   Or maybe he didn't really feel that bad ha?  I really don't even know how she can sleep in the same bed with him right now, or even hug him.

I am actually pretty repulsed by him myself.  He should not have been picked for this show.

Edited by Tatortot
  • Love 12
32 minutes ago, dirtypop90 said:

I'm pretty sure Pastor Cal said something to the effect of Jasmine "might" make more than Will. Which in the unlikely event that they stay together she could potentially make more at some point. 

• Love 4

Best part of the show...

None of the production crew, the brides or grooms tipped Puke off that Kate had told what he said about their Kiss.

Dude has no friends in the show...

When Pastor Cal confronted him about the kiss, he played cutsie and coy and said... "the kiss at the alter?"

Puke totally believed that Kate would be too ashamed to tattle on him...

Where is his apology?

Where is the groveling?

Kate...Puke is bad acting so he can stay on the show...you still repulse him...

Need to question her lack of common sense and inability to understand that he is a vile piece of fetid garbage...

• Love 15
7 minutes ago, Tatortot said:

Apparently Luke was blindsided by the fact that he verbally, and emotionally abused Kate.   I really wish that after he was made aware by Pastor Cal that he would have sat her down and had a nice long chat about how bad he felt for hurting her, a little acknowledgement in this episode would have went a long ways.   Or maybe he didn't really feel that bad ha?  I really don't even know how she can sleep in the same bed with him right now, or even hug him.

I am actually pretty repulsed by him myself.  He should not have been picked for this show.

He didn't feel bad about what he said, otherwise he would have just admitted what he said to Kate. Instead he wanted to act like he didn't know what Pastor Cal was talking about. 

They might only get in bed together for filming at this point. In previous seasons there were some couples that barely lived together. They showed up to film, did the required hours per their contract and then do whatever. I suppose it is possible that production rented out places with 2 bedrooms,  but I doubt production would be that considerate. 

• Love 9

“In all my time at Married At First Sight and in all the couples that I’ve dealt with and consoled, I’ve never heard anyone say something so vile to their spouse,” Pastor Cal said.

Hey Cal...how about the video of Molly in the bar belittling Jon and taunting him with crying like a baby?

No telling what she said over the course of the season...Too bad Jon didn't snitch until the end...

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

“In all my time at Married At First Sight and in all the couples that I’ve dealt with and consoled, I’ve never heard anyone say something so vile to their spouse,” Pastor Cal said.

Hey Cal...how about the video of Molly in the bar belittling Jon and taunting him with crying like a baby?

No telling what she said over the course of the season...Too bad Jon didn't snitch until the end...

You really think the show gave the audience the whole story about what really happened between Molly and Jon? After his weird actions after like putting an essay up about his experience on LinkedIn, there was way more going on behind the scenes then the audience was privy to. Something was very fishy about the whole thing. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Molly and Jon attended  Shawniece's and Jephte's Baby party for Baby LD so whatever happened they put it behind them....

Plus all that sweaty, not quite kosher, and questionable not wholly ethical sex with Blondie gives Jon amnesia....forbidden sex is hotter than hot....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 4

AJ's over the top response about the poker art coming to the AirBnB...

“We need a discussion about what actually is going to go. I’m not just going to decide on the fly what I’m going to rip out of here because I still come here everyday,” he said. “I’m going to walk in here and want to  blow my brains out cause it’s so empty.”

Sexy AF had just cause to be alarmed by AJ's use of an overly dramatic expression...

Red flag that she tries to make him happy when he is clearly demented when he is saying something so over the top...

She won't make this drama diva happy...just step back from his blow back....

• Love 4

Ugh. Gross. Puke. Luke. I feel like he is a caricature of a hipster come to life. His overly styled “hair” and beard, his fake apologetic admittance of how he’s normally only attracted to ethnic, exotic beauties (sorry boring blonde basic Kate), his humble bragging about all his businesses/ideas/deals - it all seems like he browsed through social media and composed the ideal of his preferred cool, ironic character. I don’t feel like we know anything real about him other than the fact he is an ass. Because even a douche of a hipster with fake hair and stupid affectations can know not to say horribly hurtful and cruel things. Ass. I feel like Kate went into this partially due to whatever happened with her father that seemed to devastate her entire family. She seems emotionally venerable which is a sucky place to be with an emotionally abusuve pig like Puke. 

I want to be friends with Stephanie. She seems interesting and fun to be around. AJ? I don’t know. He would exhaust me. I can’t decide if they have a chance or not. 

If Grandma’s boy grows up I think he and the Queen have a shot, but I’m not convinced he’s going to want to do that unless teh sex is worth the trade off of not being the center of the universe. 

I don’t have a problem with Jasmine wanting traditional gender roles. There’s nothing wrong with that if you and your spouse are in agreement. However I don’t think she explained fully that she wanted that to the “experts.” Will is so laid back he seems unengaged so I don’t know if he is uninterested or just hard to read. 

For a brief moment I thought Cal was going to actually go off on Puke and forget the tired speech about overcoming crap, taking it slow, etc. But alas I ‘‘twas wrong. Sigh. A smug Puke is a pukier Puke. 

• Love 12

Okay, I just loved Keith's grandma.  She was so welcoming and warm and just seemed so happy about the young couple.  She's a keeper (especially if she'll cook for me...).  

And Luke can just leave with his faux innocence about the "kiss" and Kate sharing what he said.  Oh, his "some things should just stay personal" was ridiculous.  I hope the editors don't try to protect him.

• Love 13
14 hours ago, aphroditewitch said:

So she is a realtor making 100k or so and living with her parents? Realtor commission are taxed high so would she not want the tax deductions of home ownership?  She must be doing really well because the average realtor in Philly makes 44k ? Zillow shows her having one active listing and she sold 6 homes (all low priced) and one rental in the last 12 months? 

I don't see how she would be making even close to $100k.

Seems most of her listing were a buyer's agent (not that it makes a difference on the commission) but she doesn't have listings that she sells?

Edited by OnTime
  • Love 4

I can only imagine the external and internal pressures being put on the participants. 

They signed up for this, went through the extensive audition process and swore up and down, on camera, that they'd do anything to be married and make it work. They put their families and friends through the stress of experiencing this alongside them. They're concerned about what the TV-watching world is going to think of them.

The producers are constantly nearby, whispering in their ears, pretending to be on their side and have their best interests at heart. Whenever there's trouble, the experts repeated response is to encourage them stick with it, try harder, be patient.

Considering all the clustercluck pairings and horrible behavior on display, it's interesting that only one person out of 50 has had the guts to quit. People have put up with criminal behavior, lies, no sex, no touching, cruel comments, dismissive/cold treatment, threats and yelling, shunning ... and that's only what we've seen. It's almost Stockholm Syndrome the way people stick it out.

It's not the few thousand dollars they get, either. I haven't been in their place and can't truly understand the pressures, but I do have some sympathy for them feeling like they have to be together (or pretend to) while the show runs its course.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I appreciate Kate's attitude and like that she's acknowledging that she signed up for this mess. Other people on this show tend to just be judgmental right away and feel justified in dropping their new spouse because of one thing that annoys them. But I do feel like this situation is on a different level. It's not that Luke just isn't attracted to her. He's also just straight up a nasty person and is putting her down in the process. It's kinda weird that she's so ok with how he's acting but I feel like she thinks things could change... but people like Luke won't change and he's not gonna grow any more attracted to her.. he already has it in his mind that she's not his type and that she's below him and right now it's just a matter of time. Once the show ends, they'll be long done.

My bet is that Jasmine and Will will divorce either by the end of the show or right after. One thing I noticed every season is that if there's no chemistry from the beginning, they're doomed. Jamie and Doug were a little different because he was persistent with her from day 1 and she wanted a family and probably settled so she can have it.

Sam fell in love totally with Neil after initially treating him like dirt. Which is why he rejected her.

Luke  awkward right after wedding. Some problems with him. They will out.  SHE IS BRUNETTE.  Why the need to be a blonde? Remember Dave and ??? Last season?  At reunion she was a gorgeous brunette! 

Finally one of the men had ring on middle finger. Did anyone else notice?  I think Will but not sure 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I have a feeling that was the real AJ and his fake mask is falling down. 

I agree with this and know the type. He goes from "everything has to be my way or I'm gonna let you know for a long time how pissed I am, by turning red and throwing a tantrum" followed by the "I'm just really kinda high strung," and expecting Stephanie and everyone else to just move on from it. There is something about Stephanie that irks me. She doesn't come across as very feminine to me and I don't say that in a mean way as I'm a Kristy McNichol in Family kind of gal myself. She has a hardness about her and sometimes her attempts at humor seem forced like she's trying to fit into the conversation. I think perhaps that may be the reason she was still single at her age.

8 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Maybe Keith doesn't have any interest in learning to cook. There are plenty of people that don't cook, and don't want to learn to cook. This includes women as well as men. Keith just needs to accept that sometimes take out, or left overs or going out to dinner will have to do and not expect dinner on the table every single night. If he's cool with that then there should be no problem. If he expects Kristine to cook every single day then he needs to grow up.  

I agree with this if he's not going to whine and throw a tantrum if he gets tuna salad or leftovers for dinner. He seems the type that was so terribly spoiled that a full on home cooked meal daily is his expectation. If that's the case, they should buy a crockpot and show him that it's not rocket science to take a bunch of stuff, throw it in and come back in 8 hours.  

8 hours ago, Crazy Bird Lady said:

That makes lots of sense, *except* for the fact that Keith only works part time while apparently going to school full time, and Queen Christine (who makes 3x more money than he does!) doesn't seem interested in buying lots of take-out food. She absolutely expects Keith to cook, and at the same time she expects  him to spend enough time in the gym to get that 6-pack that she expects from him (--regardless of the fact that Keith works all night 4 x per week, while going to school during the day and *must* be totally exhausted a lot of the time.) 

This is my problem with Kristine from the beginning. The whole "never get a second chance to make a first impression" thing popped right out. As soon as she said she is the queen, she lost me. Just like Kate's, giggly, 12 year old girlish "Hiiiieeeeeeee" to Luke when she got to the altar completely turned me off to her. Kristine seems the type that believes she can fix Keith and get him straightened out in all the ways about him that she wants changed. It doesn't work that way.

7 hours ago, dirtypop90 said:

I think people are being a little harsh on Jasmine.  Yes, she wants a marriage like her parents/ guy like her father.  That is normal for women and men who saw what they perceived to be a health relationship between their parents growing up.  Jasmine said this week she was willing to compromise on the finances, but what is will doing to meet her in the middle?  He's a log, putting forth NO effort, not even in the romance department.  Jasmine is always the one initiating the physical contact and he doesn't even react.  I do not think Jasmine is as boring as Will.  I think he is bringing her down.  I've seen Jasmine be playful, giggly, touchy, and received NOTHING from Will.  I do not think Will is physically attracted to her.  I do think he is handling it in a classy way, unlike Luke.  I think he is hoping for attraction to grow.  But I'm not willing to give him a cookie for that.  Also he just looks unkempt to me, and I don't know why.  But the fact that he is the one withholding the sex is throwing me.

I don't think Will is putting much effort into Jasmine because he's not interested in her. I think this lack of interest stems from being completely turned off by this "independent woman" who immediately recoiled at the suggestion that she contributed equally to the household bills. She didn't compromise with him when choosing honeymoon activities. She chose what she wanted despite his fears and essentially belittled his fear of heights. Had she come across as a traditional person who supports 1950s era gender roles, then Will would have known that from the start. But she didn't. She was all about being independent, a homeowner and even said on the show that she could manage everything money wise herself but just doesn't want to because she feels like he should. Yeah, right. That's called selective traditionalism in my book. If that is what turned Will off, I can't say that I blame him. Jasmine comes across as a snob. She used the "happy wife, happy life" line in Will at the table which is just another way of saying, "If I don't get my way, I'll make your life miserable." Eff that.

6 hours ago, Crazy Bird Lady said:

Keith's Grandmother won't live forever, but for now that would be a sensible compromise (right now Keith's burning the candle at both ends --with 4 work shifts, 5 days of advanced college classes, plenty of homework, and [now] an hour or so at the gym every day because the Queen wants it.) 

The guy really is trying to improve himself, and at the moment I don't think cooking should be top priority!   

And why should the grandmother, who is now free of this man baby, have to make dinner several times a week (or ever) for these people? Sure, if they visit on occasion and she makes dinner that is great but using her to make up for the shortcoming of a 30-something married man baby? Oy. I'm sure at this point in her life, granny wouldn't mind a little "me" time. 

• Love 8

Either Kate had an offer she couldn’t refuse or she’s just an idiot. When she told Cal she was “there” with still being attracted to Luke I thought, maybe it’s both.

AJ needs meds to control whatever his current meds are doing to him- dude. never. shuts. up. Stephanie seems a bit too ‘whatever you want’ with him; maybe it’s how she copes. But if they want me to think AJ has a ‘temper’ with whatever that was it’s not working. After the crap I’ve had to live with he didn’t even register as mildly irritated to me. 

I can appreciate Will wanting to go slow with Jasmine. He may not want to end up with the next MAFS ‘oops’ baby.

Kristine be careful or you might spoil Keith more than he is already. I think his setup outside was cute though- he showed his appreciation for her efforts for him. Maybe he’s spoiled but doesn’t take it for granted & will spoil back - that might work for them. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, gonecrackers said:

But if they want me to think AJ has a ‘temper’ with whatever that was it’s not working. After the crap I’ve had to live with he didn’t even register as mildly irritated to me. 

Ditto.

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

Either Kate had an offer she couldn’t refuse or she’s just an idiot. When she told Cal she was “there” with still being attracted to Luke I thought, maybe it’s both.

Offer her what exactly? Money? It is a cable reality show, none of the participants are making a significant amount of money. I know there are various high dollar amounts reported online but none make much sense. The only person who has truly made anything substantial from this show is Jamie and I guess Doug since they are married. The show doesn't have to offer Kate anything other than what is in her contract. She signed a contract to be on the show. Yes she could pull a Heather, but look at how people treated Heather. Heather was getting death threats from Derek's fans. 

She is going along with the producers to get through her contract and echoing whatever they tell her to say. Her words might say that "Luke is attractive" but her eyes tell a different story. 

Edited by aphroditewitch
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, aphroditewitch said:

Offer her what exactly? Money? It is a cable reality show, none of the participants are making a significant amount of money.

I get what you're saying here . But remember the times we live in now. Life is "cheap". People kill people for a few hundred bucks. It's how many followers you have on SM. It's a free Ad for their startups. They're all thinking they could be the next big thing In their field or whatever- if not just get on the tee vee. 

Where were these thousands of men trying to get married when I was young and single? Not that this pool says much but hey. Got to be 1 who's genuine about it. 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, aphroditewitch said:

Offer her what exactly? Money? It is a cable reality show, none of the participants are making a significant amount of money. I know there are various high dollar amounts reported online but none make much sense. The only person who has truly made anything substantial from this show is Jamie and I guess Doug since they are married. The show doesn't have to offer Kate anything other than what is in her contract. She signed a contract to be on the show. Yes she could pull a Heather, but look at how people treated Heather. Heather was getting death threats from Derek's fans. 

Derek had fans? People who were that serious about this show? Wow. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, configdotsys said:

I agree with this and know the type. He goes from "everything has to be my way or I'm gonna let you know for a long time how pissed I am, by turning red and throwing a tantrum" followed by the "I'm just really kinda high strung," and expecting Stephanie and everyone else to just move on from it. There is something about Stephanie that irks me. She doesn't come across as very feminine to me and I don't say that in a mean way as I'm a Kristy McNichol in Family kind of gal myself. She has a hardness about her and sometimes her attempts at humor seem forced like she's trying to fit into the conversation. I think perhaps that may be the reason she was still single at her age.

Stephanie strikes me as one of those women primarily focused on her career, which for women even today often means personal life takes a back seat.  But that could also be a function of her basic discomfort with touchy-feely things like personal relationships.  She's very controlled and doesn't want to reveal what she's really feeling.  She is uncomfortable with feelings so of course they match her with a slightly unstable guy with no filter that wears every little crazy feeling on his sleeve 24/7.  If that isn't a recipe for long-term disaster, I don't know what is!  I think she is tolerating it just barely to "save face".  She can't let out what she's really feeling about it because first of all, she never does that, but secondly, the whole world is watching and she can't face having other people see it.  Plus, she might be thinking to herself that perhaps things will still work out, that maybe he's just what she needs, and whatever kool-aid she's been forced to drink by the "experts" to keep her in the game.

Stephanie seems to recognize that AJ's weird outbursts are a function of the intense stress he's under as a result of being involved in this show.  He's one of those people that runs off at the mouth when he's stressed out.  She thinks his nerves will calm down eventually, but deep down she knows something's off with him.  She just doesn't want to face it yet plus she is rationally giving it time to work itself out. Too bad I don't think that's going to happen.  His outbursts are mortifying for her but she still seems determined to explain them away or act like they aren't that bad to prevent her facade from cracking.  It's a coping mechanism.  As for AJ, he reminds me of a guy I knew that was mildly autistic/highly functioning.  Same strange emotional outbursts, mood swings over stressful situations, must have everything his way, must feel in control, wore every feeling on his sleeve with no understanding of how he might affect the listener, is sometimes embarrassing to be with in public, will say things like the "blow my brains out" comment that make people think he's weird, etc.  Shades of Sheldon Cooper in a way!

What I think is interesting this season is that it looks like the "experts" were going for a traditional gender role reversal in every match.  All the women this season seem to be more traditionally male in attitude in some ways than their matches, such as being less emotional (Kate and Stephanie), less dependent (Kristine and Stephanie), more dominant (Jasmine), less childlike, etc..  Meanwhile at least some of the men seem to be more effeminate than their matches (such as AJ and Luke), or expressive (AJ and Luke), passive (Keith) or childlike (Keith and AJ) than the women they were matched with (my jury is still out on Will). I think Jasmine wants to be the more dominant one in her relationship judging from the subtle ways she keeps putting him "in his place", but Will is not jazzed by that dynamic which is why he is keeping his distance from her.  That's not his thing.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

As for AJ, he reminds me of a guy I knew that was mildly autistic/highly functioning.  Same strange emotional outbursts, mood swings over stressful situations, must have everything his way, must feel in control, wore every feeling on his sleeve with no understanding of how he might affect the listener, is sometimes embarrassing to be with in public, will say things like the "blow my brains out" comment that make people think he's weird, etc

Perfect description of AJ. Stephanie is in for a bumpy ride. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, UniqueHandle said:

As for Kate.. I don't really like her that much either. She is so in love with the idea of being in love, I am afraid she won't leave him and she NEEDS to leave him. They get so little air time, I wonder if they are going to ghost us before the season is over.  

I agree.  I think most of them are in love with the IDEA of being married, what it looks like; but they're not so into doing the work, meaning living with an actual human being.

I can understand why Will might not be interested in Jasmine.  She's the type of person who, while dating, puts on the "I'm an independent woman" show, and then once she's married she wants to be barefoot and pregnant, perfect bait and switch.

I don't think Vaughn would have worked with Jasmine, because Vaughn's celebrity crushes were Halle Berry and Paula Patton.

One more thing:  I think that once the participants have been selected, each one of them should get a few therapy sessions.  What's missing is finding out WHY these people are still single, if marriage is what they want.   Maybe if they focused on that they'd have less abusive folks participating in this "experiment." 

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 8

I'm a creature of habit and when changes come up, I'm uncomfortable getting used to it. It's just how I am but I roll with it.  I understood AJ being more comfortable  WITHOUT a hanging shower basket.  Stephanie explained it doesn't really take space away. But he likes what he likes and felt it's bulkier than he prefers . He could've said that.  "I dont appreciate the bulk it provides in general." But he didn't.  He stomped off with a passive aggressive "never mind." He was this way several times throughout the ep. That's why I labeled him as a moody "monster." Not because he's frustrated by moving and change - but by the way he treated Steph and pulled a 180 at the drop of a hat. Giggle giggle giggle aaaannnnd 😡

Edited by Kdawg82
  • Love 5

In the previews for next week, they show Luke and Kate having a gathering with friends.  Not sure if there's a mix, but it appeared to be only Luke's friends.  In one shot, Luke and Kate greet someone at the door, the "friend" coming in acknowledges Luke but ignores Kate, brushing right past her.  Another shot, Kate walks up to a woman standing by herself, and the woman walks away without acknowledging Kate.  I got the feeling that Kate was in a room full of tragically hip hipsters who knew she didn't belong and didn't want to waste their time with her. 

• Love 6

What bugs me about this show is there seems no effort by the "experts" to try and find out just why these people are single, despite wanting to get married "at first sight."  Maybe because of school/career; maybe because they had to take care of a sick parent; maybe they have mental health issues.  So many of the participants say things like, "I have everything in my life but I'm missing a partner to share it with."  I get that, but sometimes it feels like they're just interested in the idea of the partner.  It's like,  what's more important to you, the picture or the frame?  Some people think the picture is more important, others think the frame.  

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, suzeecat said:

I got the feeling that Kate was in a room full of tragically hip hipsters who knew she didn't belong and didn't want to waste their time with her. 

So it is  a room full of rude people like her husband who can't be bothered to be polite or act like decent human beings. 

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, suzeecat said:

In the previews for next week, they show Luke and Kate having a gathering with friends.  Not sure if there's a mix, but it appeared to be only Luke's friends.  In one shot, Luke and Kate greet someone at the door, the "friend" coming in acknowledges Luke but ignores Kate, brushing right past her.  Another shot, Kate walks up to a woman standing by herself, and the woman walks away without acknowledging Kate.  I got the feeling that Kate was in a room full of tragically hip hipsters who knew she didn't belong and didn't want to waste their time with her. 

I was looking for the preview so I could watch again and see if my initial assessment was correct. I thought the same thing, that it was mostly his friends and none of hers. Strange, since she said she spends time with her friends on the weekends. I wonder if this will be more producer influenced conflict or if Lukewarm is really this much of an ass. Or a little of both.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I think Jasmine wants to be the more dominant one in her relationship judging from the subtle ways she keeps putting him "in his place", but Will is not jazzed by that dynamic which is why he is keeping his distance from her.  That's not his thing.

It's also incongruous with what she says she wants. She wants Will to be the provider/protector in pretty much every sense (financially, emotionally, sexually) but she also seems to want to run shit with the "happy wife, happy life" motto. As Will has said, if Jasmine is about traditional gender roles, she should submit to him as the head of the household - but Jasmine doesn't seem to be about that (and it seems clear to me that Will doesn't actually want that kind of relationship - he's just pointing out the flip side of the "you're the man so you do xyz" stuff she says), so where does that leave them?

4 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

It's like,  what's more important to you, the picture or the frame?  Some people think the picture is more important, others think the frame.  

I had a friend who likened it to those face cutouts you see at carnivals, where you stick your face in and there's a strong man body or whatever. The face just rotates out and it doesn't matter who's there. If I recall correctly, there was a Sex and the City trope about it - they likened it to a cab with the light on. The next person who gets in gets the ride. I've said before that I've known a lot of women who just married whoever they were with at the age they wanted to get married (typically late 20s-early 30s) because "it was time." In some cases, they weren't even 100% sold on the person; they just "didn't want to start over."

12 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

What bugs me about this show is there seems no effort by the "experts" to try and find out just why these people are single, despite wanting to get married "at first sight." 

I tend not to wonder why women in big cities are single because often, the ratio of men to women tends to work in men's favor. I do tend to wonder why men who want to get married are not married, because again, if the ratio of men to women is in your favor, you can usually find someone. My single friends and I tend to complain that the single men we know don't want to settle down because they don't have to (lots of options + long biological clocks = long sowing oats periods), so I tend to think that a man who WANTS to settle down CAN settle down.

Having said that, Keith and Luke are young enough that I don't think much of them being single - it's not weird at all to me to be a 30-year-old single man in a big city. Keith in particular, if he's trying to get his career together.

2 minutes ago, Soup333 said:

I was looking for the preview so I could watch again and see if my initial assessment was correct. I thought the same thing, that it was mostly his friends and none of hers. Strange, since she said she spends time with her friends on the weekends. I wonder if this will be more producer influenced conflict or if Lukewarm is really this much of an ass. Or a little of both.

She mentioned friends in the preview too (Luke asked if she thought her friends would have reservations about them and she answered) and she clearly has them - they were shown at the wedding. I hope it's just an editing trick.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, 2727 said:

Considering all the clustercluck pairings and horrible behavior on display, it's interesting that only one person out of 50 has had the guts to quit. People have put up with criminal behavior, lies, no sex, no touching, cruel comments, dismissive/cold treatment, threats and yelling, shunning ... and that's only what we've seen. It's almost Stockholm Syndrome the way people stick it out.

Yes to this! I could not believe that a Pastor Cal gave Kate and Luke an out and they both stayed! How much are these idiots being paid to take verbal abuse and looking like an asshole on tv? And this is after Tristan and Mia last season! Why?!?

I don’t think they legitimately tried to find the best people this season. I think they matched for maximum shitshow. They feel they’ve had a lot of success the last few seasons with at least one couple per season staying together and now all the MAFS babies. I think they think people like the drama when it doesn’t work out, so they were like, eh, we can afford  an off season - let’s match a bunch of train wrecks! 

And Stockholm Syndrome indeed. If someone had said I repulsed them, I would be pissed. I might cry when realizing I’m actually married to the person. But what does Kate do? No reaction other than glazed over look pretty similar to her normal expression. Completely weird. She didn’t seem hurt or angry. Just blank. She seems boring, bland and devoid of personality. Nothing new to add about the bearded douche....

I think the Queen has found her perfect match - someone who will continue to let her be the queen. She runs him and he is happy to let her. I did laugh when Pastor Cal said “there’s trouble ahead and you don’t even see it”.....

AJ seems insane to me. I would beat him over the head with that ugly poker picture. Not sure what Steph sees in him other than someone to hold hands with walking down the street.....oh wait.....

Considering they are moving into a fully furnished apartment, all the packing was nonsense. It’s six weeks, not your forever house! I would take some clothes and that’s it. I miss the apartment searching from old seasons....

• Love 5
11 hours ago, aphroditewitch said:

She is going along with the producers to get through her contract and echoing whatever they tell her to say. Her words might say that "Luke is attractive" but her eyes tell a different story. 

It was a bit of inept humor, although I definitely feel couples are being offered something for staying together after decision day. There's been way too many 1 year divorcearies.  So we don't know what's going on behind the scenes orchestrating these scenarios & keeping them going.

11 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

I get what you're saying here . But remember the times we live in now. Life is "cheap". People kill people for a few hundred bucks. It's how many followers you have on SM. It's a free Ad for their startups. They're all thinking they could be the next big thing In their field or whatever- if not just get on the tee vee. 

And this here ^. I believe some people who lack self-respect among other issues will do anything for a few bucks & some TV time.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I tend not to wonder why women in big cities are single because often, the ratio of men to women tends to work in men's favor. I do tend to wonder why men who want to get married are not married, because again, if the ratio of men to women is in your favor, you can usually find someone. My single friends and I tend to complain that the single men we know don't want to settle down because they don't have to (lots of options + long biological clocks = long sowing oats periods), so I tend to think that a man who WANTS to settle down CAN settle down.

Having said that, Keith and Luke are young enough that I don't think much of them being single - it's not weird at all to me to be a 30-year-old single man in a big city. Keith in particular, if he's trying to get his career together.

We live in a world where meeting people is often reduced down to a dating profile. A dating profile present a limited view of a person. I don't think it is complicated as to why even men who want to settle down struggle to find someone. If you are an introvert, online dating can be stressful and your profile may not be the most eyecatching if you are being honest. I think it is a bad stereotype than a single man can have his pick because  a lot of modern women are less willing to settle for glaring issues. While I think women are willing to compromise on certain things, others are not negotiable.  And frankly that is why both Keith and Luke were single. Few women are willing to deal with a man who chooses to be so useless in domestic tasks, it is unattractive. When you learn that a man won't do basic things like cook or do his laundry, it is a turnoff. No one wants to work hard all day and then come home to someone who can't be bothered to share the cooking responsibilities. Keith is making a big statement to women with his refusal to do certain tasks, he is telling them that he really doesn't care enough about them to be helpful. From what I've observed is that men like Keith who don't do their share in daily household chores, don't pull their weight with parenting either. 

And Luke is just a jerk and few women are willing to accept that either. 

• Love 2