Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
voiceover

S03.E03: Et in Arcadia

20 hours ago, screenaddict said:

I keep thinking that Bertie is a miniature Ossie from Poldark. I obviously spend too much time watching British TV.

image.png.c8321309f12039e69b1a8c6c4b732d68.png

So glad it wasn't just me, but I didn't want to say because I hated Ossie so much.

I did go on IMDb to see if they were related.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Popples said:

So glad it wasn't just me, but I didn't want to say because I hated Ossie so much.

I did go on IMDb to see if they were related.

Ossie was the most loathsome character in recent memory.  Ugh.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Ohmo said:

Agreed. Skerritt and Victoria were not even remotely peers.  When the Chartist woman came before Victoria, Skerritt was the one to say that the Chartist woman couldn't talk to the Queen like that.  To offer an explanation like "I love him" would have been too bold.  Skerritt was required to be restrained in her emotion, and Victoria also knew that she had to maintain the dignified air of the monarch.  I think they both knew of their fondness for the other, but class status being what it was at the time, neither could let their feelings truly show. In another life, they might have been friends, but not in this one.

I kinda thought Victoria’s close friendships with her servants was one of the things about her that made her so different from typical royals. For example, Lehzen her governess, who she treated like her mother. And I thought the show would follow the unorthodox way Victoria treated her servants as a way of laying the groundwork for 

Spoiler

Her future relationships with her servants John Brown and Abdul.

As for Nancy, I have speculation as well

Spoiler

I am getting the feeling she may become a victim of the cholera epidemic. It would be historically inaccurate, but her whole character is. Also, the chef is such a big character in real life. If Nancy dies, he can still go on to become a famous chef.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

For the men? Not much, especially if they were of a certain class. The women, of course, suffered much more, since their jezebel siren songs were responsible for luring the poor innocent men to their carnal doom.

If everyone was fairly discreet about it, society just drew a veil and pretended nothing was going on.

No, for the women. A lot of women were used and abused. Yet, this show seems to depict that even the rakish men were thoughtful to women’s feelings (i.e. Palmerston agreeing to back off because Sophie’s heart might get broken and the whole Ernest stuff, when the real Ernest was thought to have given his wife the STD). I know that Sophie’s husband is in the mix, but that character is full on villain, not someone more complicated where the audience might like the character, but dislike his behavior.

• Like 2

I really hate the Feodora stuff. Its mostly boring and annoying, and she's practically a cartoon villain. All she needs is a mustache to twirl. I still find it odd that their mother isn't around. It doesn't make sense she wouldn't be spending time with Feodora or wouldn't want to go up to Osborn with her family. 

I didn't really like Joseph going off bathing in the nude. It just didn't seem like something a servant the Queen would do especially when she's home. I don't like him sniffing around the Duchess. Unless he murders her husband its not really interesting.  

I've been a fan of Albert but he is starting to drive me crazy. Him wanting to stay there when it was clear Victoria didn't want to and blaming it on her wanting adoration. I don't really think that's why she wanted to back. She didn't want to leave in the first place and thought she should remain in London while all the stuff with Chartists was going on.

I'm torn on Victoria being angry with him over his parenting of Bertie. I know historically that never happened, Victoria either agreed with her husband or let him do whatever he wanted when it came to parenting and education of their children. Both tried to turn their son into another Albert or some sort of ideal king. Both were really hard on him and Victoria only got worse after her husband died. To make matters worse his older sister was really smart and excelled at her lessons (unfortunately Albert ended up setting the poor girl up for failure by not preparing her at all for her life in Prussia/Germany.). I do agree with her in the show and its nice to hear at least someone saying it. When Albert was going on and on about wanting him to read books and stuff. Its clearly never occurred to him his son might not have an interest in books. Or that it was all too much for a kid that young. Or that he's not a mini-Albert. 

I loved the archery lesson with letters. What a great idea! It looked like Bertie was really learning.

Vicky and Bertie both seem like how they probably were as kids. 

• Like 2

On 2/1/2019 at 9:43 AM, Nolefan said:

In regard to Palmerston and Sophie...I was almost getting interested in that storyline, but then Palmerston backs off? Weird. It is almost like this show doesn’t want to show the men that were historically rakes (example, Ernest) being rakes with real characters in the show (outside of visits to nunneries) and the fallout from their rakish behavior, which I would find interesting. So, now are we supposed to view Palmerston as just misunderstood? Sophie still could of ended up in Joseph’s arms even after a dalliance with Palmerston. Seems like the show is missing some low hanging fruit here.

If Sophie has an affair and is found out, she'll lose all contact with her son, as well as her position, and will be turned out, just like Albert and Ernst's mother was.  It's too great a risk, and she should know that.  Her best hope is to hope to outlive her husband, or at least wait until her son is an adult.  Her husband already has her money, and would probably be thrilled to have an excuse to divorce her and marry someone more appropriate.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Her husband already has her money, and would probably be thrilled to have an excuse to divorce her and marry someone more appropriate.

He's not going to divorce her. The stigma of divorce was too great for all parties, and it would also be on their son and subsequent generations (at least for a while). 

They'll lead separate lives—or he will—and she'll just have to gut the marriage out and hope if her husband dies first, he hasn't totally poisoned their son against her.

• Like 1

Husband was quite specific in the scene where he asked her if she liked the necklace she was wearing.

Because it was his.

Her position with him was made all too clear in that scene,

• Like 3

On 1/28/2019 at 10:11 PM, LittleIggy said:

He doesn’t look anything like Rufus Sewell to me, and I am a huge RS fan.

I didn't think so either . . . but here's a comparison shot of the two of them.  Maybe a bit of resemblance, but not "just like."

Actors.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 9:31 AM, AZChristian said:

I didn't think so either . . . but here's a comparison shot of the two of them.  Maybe a bit of resemblance, but not "just like."

Nope, not seeing the resemblance at all.  But both are gorgeous!

• Like 2

On 2/5/2019 at 10:28 AM, dubbel zout said:

He's not going to divorce her. The stigma of divorce was too great for all parties, and it would also be on their son and subsequent generations (at least for a while). 

They'll lead separate lives—or he will—and she'll just have to gut the marriage out and hope if her husband dies first, he hasn't totally poisoned their son against her.

Perhaps, but remember that Albert's father divorced his mother (in Hanover) for committing adultery, and the scandal did not prevent Albert from marrying the Queen of England!

• Like 1

Very late to the party, but damn the whole episode I thought  Victoria and Palmerston were  going to hate fuck each other, which would be RATHER historically inaccurate so good thing it didn’t go there. 

Edited by Paws
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Paws said:

Very late to the party, but damn the whole episode I thought  Victoria and Palmerston were  going to hate fuck each other, which would be RATHER historiaclally inaccurate so good thing it didn’t go there. 

Yes, but it wouldn't be a TOTALLY horrible thing, from an aesthetic POV. :)

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Paws said:

Very late to the party, but damn the whole episode I thought  Victoria and Palmerston were  going to hate fuck each other, which would be RATHER historically inaccurate so good thing it didn’t go there. 

Victoria is definitely being shown to have both a physical and even emotional attraction to Lord Palmerston. The whole “I cannot believe you were going to leave without saying goodbye” scene at the carriage with the romantic music playing in the background sealed this for me. I think it is totally historically inaccurate, but Daisy Goodwin is going there. I think this episode also showed that Albert is aware of the attraction (the way the camera shows his face looking at Victoria and Palmerston flirting with each other, especially during the card game). And I think Palmerston knows that he is good at seducing women and is using this in his favor to get Victoria on his side and needle Albert about it (creating a wedge between the two — just like Feodora!). While I believe the show is never going to address this (where Victoria and Albert talk about it), I think this is a big basis for why Albert acts the way he does for the rest of the episode (and beyond). I think Albert is crazy about Victoria and is hurt/jealous by her looking at another man (especially a powerful man) for advice and maybe more. Add to the mix, I think Albert has an underlying fear that Victoria is just like his mother (supposedly Albert mother’s and Victoria have similar personalities!), and look what she did. And the way the show has made Albert almost inept when advising Victoria, it stacks the deck in Palmerston’s favor. It is the Lord Melbourne thing all over again for Albert.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2019 at 10:49 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Perhaps, but remember that Albert's father divorced his mother (in Hanover) for committing adultery, and the scandal did not prevent Albert from marrying the Queen of England!

Yes- if a woman is found to have committed adultery her husband was free to divorce her, the stigma was mostly on her. Society might snicker at him for not being able to control his wife but he would be free to function in society as before, while she would be an outcast. 

• Like 4