Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E12: ZuGoPet, Obvious Wines, Twist It Up Comb, Monti Kids

GoldenGirl90
  • Start Topic

January 27, 2019

A product for people traveling with pets; a collection of curated wines with straightforward labels; a hair product helps amplify natural curls; a subscription service that delivers educational toys; an update on The Dough Bar.

I laughed through the pet segment.     I know they're not safety tested, but when I stayed in an extended stay motel tons of the other residents had dogs, and quite a few had similar chest carriers for the smaller dogs.    I'm betting they didn't have the car harness with velcro, but the harness was similar.    They do have competition, and I'm betting a lot of people will go cheaper.    I don't even know if they got a deal or not, but they aren't exclusive.    

The wine guy was really good, and Lori will be a great partner for him.    I can't stand mimes though.

The hair guy was fantastic, and I hope they get the production issues fixed, and can get a licensing deal.    I'm glad he got a deal.      I really didn't understand how it worked, but his explanation was very understandable, and I think he'll go far.   

The Monti kids toy/educational subscription plan for $1200 a year is not going to appeal to most parents, because they just won't be able to afford it.     The numbers stink too.    $2.6 million down the drain, and losing $20k a month, is terrible.       Robert made a great offer, and she was a fool for passing it up.    Kevin will be a good partner, but she will drive him nuts.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
(edited)

As a (half) black girl, I gotta admit, I laughed when certain Sharks didn't really understand the Twist It Up product (mostly Robert, lol). I'm already thinking about purchasing one! I'm glad he got a deal and I hope it actually goes through.

The Monti Kids product seemed like a great idea but the valuation was insane. She should've taken up Robert on his offer but at least she had the opportunity to take Kevin's deal.

Sorry but I laughed during the ZuGo Pet product, lol. I have a little chihuahua who would probably benefit from such a product because he's all over the place when we're in my car but I'm wondering how this would work on much larger dogs? And I agree with the Sharks who suggested they get better marketing behind the product. Look at statistics of loose animals injuring passengers, get some vet organizations to speak on the product, ect. I can actually see it selling quite well but it needs a lot of work.

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 4

The velco pet restraint in theory is a good idea, but is there really a large enough market of people with tiny dogs?  We use a harness/seat belt tether that works just fine.  I felt sorry for the test dog, it obviously was terrified, but that could have been just the situation.  I think they would have done better to have used a stuffed dog for the actual demo. 

I liked the wine idea and the guy a lot (didn't mind the mime, I thought he was pretty good)   That's exactly the way I would like to buy wine - as it is now, I usually just ask for red; if they want more, I just say "full-body" or something. 

I'm not the target market for the hair thing, but it really seemed like a good idea. reasonably priced and a very likeable guy. 

The Montessori-based toy - wow, that was expensive, but that is the Montessori market generally.  I wonder if she has to pay any kind of royalty or there might be trademark issues.  I like that Robert withdrew his offer, she was pretty undisciplined.  But isn't that the benefit of having a shark come on board? 

Nice to see the dough bar update - they're one of my favorite things - well-made, well-packaged, reasonably priced.  I guess that shows why.

• Love 2

I loved how Robert told the Montessori woman that her Harvard education had spoiled her into not understanding the true value of money.  She blew through a huge amount of cash, but her attitude was, "Well, we're about to get some more!"  I'll bet if she'd had to self-fund her business, she would have been much more attentive to how many dollars were walking out her door.   Also, she really blew the deal with Robert at the end!  He agreed to all her terms, yet she still wanted to try to negotiate an even better deal.  I don't think her deal with Kevin will go through; she didn't seem enthusiastic at all, and I think she took his deal in order to save face.

• Love 13

The Twist It Up's logo was not great. I don't know how to fix it because the comb looks like a miniature tennis racket, so any image of it is going to look like...a tennis racket.

I say this as a non-drinker...there are way too many wines in the world. There are too many in the store in which I work. I can't imagine the amount of hubris one has to have to decide they are going to make The Next Great Wine, but whatever. All that said, I will never tire of the Sharks making fun of Kevin's snobby Chevalier du Testevin ("Heyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!").

• Love 10
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

The Twist It Up's logo was not great. I don't know how to fix it because the comb looks like a miniature tennis racket, so any image of it is going to look like...a tennis racket.

Thank you! I was hoping a shark would ask about this: "why does this comb (?) look like a racket on the package? "  To be fair, it did look a bit like a racket in their hands.

Edited by rhys
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, mjc570 said:

The Montessori-based toy - wow, that was expensive, but that is the Montessori market generally.  I wonder if she has to pay any kind of royalty or there might be trademark issues.  I like that Robert withdrew his offer, she was pretty undisciplined.  But isn't that the benefit of having a shark come on board? 

I wondered the same thing about the royalty/trademark.  A shark coming on board can help an entrepreneur for whom being undisciplined is their only or major problem.  This woman had a lot more that was problematic, and Robert dodged a serious bullet.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The Monti kids toy/educational subscription plan for $1200 a year is not going to appeal to most parents, because they just won't be able to afford it.     The numbers stink too.    $2.6 million down the drain, and losing $20k a month, is terrible.       Robert made a great offer, and she was a fool for passing it up.    Kevin will be a good partner, but she will drive him nuts.

For eons, children have been learning these important lessons without expensive toys. A baby can figure out object permanence by playing peek-a-boo or finding his missing pacifier hidden under his blanket. There is no need for a $300 dollar toy. 

Edited by eel2178
  • Love 16
2 minutes ago, mjc570 said:

I figure the monti kids thing is more of an educational toy for parents. 

I couldn't believe she kept saying there was a tutorial to show the parents how to introduce the toy to the child. If the toy is supposed to cover some basic developmental concept but it is so complicated that the parent needs lessons on how to use it, then it is probably pretty worthless.

• Love 21
6 hours ago, Gregg247 said:

I loved how Robert told the Montessori woman that her Harvard education had spoiled her into not understanding the true value of money.  

I also question the accuracy of her statistics. In my area, we have Montessori schools that start as early as 13 months. Her claim that most Montessori schools don't start until age 3 when kids are already past the developmental stages for her products just isn't true around here.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

I also question the accuracy of her statistics. In my area, we have Montessori schools that start as early as 13 months. Her claim that most Montessori schools don't start until age 3 when kids are already past the developmental stages for her products just isn't true around here.

same here. montessori near us usally take kids from 18 months. plus i have seen similar productions like hers for much cheaper rate. 300 bucks for every 3 months is ridiculous. Harvard education for sure made a snob.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, mjc570 said:

I like that Robert withdrew his offer, she was pretty undisciplined.  But isn't that the benefit of having a shark come on board? 

I was amazed she had any offers. It was so clear she has no clue what she is doing and she was arrogant on top of it...if she wasn't a rich kid with a fancy degree she would never have gotten in the door.

7 hours ago, Gregg247 said:

I loved how Robert told the Montessori woman that her Harvard education had spoiled her into not understanding the true value of money.  She blew through a huge amount of cash, but her attitude was, "Well, we're about to get some more!"  I'll bet if she'd had to self-fund her business, she would have been much more attentive to how many dollars were walking out her door.   Also, she really blew the deal with Robert at the end!  He agreed to all her terms, yet she still wanted to try to negotiate an even better deal.  I don't think her deal with Kevin will go through; she didn't seem enthusiastic at all, and I think she took his deal in order to save face.

Did anyone catch the part where she said "I can get more funding if I need it, but I'm trying to be cautious about it"? I would bet a 2.5% stake in her company that means money from mommy and daddy.

4 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I say this as a non-drinker...there are way too many wines in the world. There are too many in the store in which I work. I can't imagine the amount of hubris one has to have to decide they are going to make The Next Great Wine, but whatever. All that said, I will never tire of the Sharks making fun of Kevin's snobby Chevalier du Testevin ("Heyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!").

Also non-drinker and I agree. Who the hell is drinking all this wine? Why does my town of 19,000 people have six liquor stores and zero supermarkets? In the past when I bought wine I would just get the Barefoot wine because it was one that I had before so I knew it would be ok. Besides the differences between white and red, they all taste exactly the same to me though.

1 hour ago, eel2178 said:

For eons, children have been learning these important lessons without expensive toys. A baby can figure out object permanence by playing peek-a-boo or finding his missing pacifier hidden under his blanket. There is no need for a $300 dollar toy. 

That's exactly what I said to my husband! The kid is going to learn it anyway just from existing in the world...the toy will probably not help them learn it any faster....

42 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

I couldn't believe she kept saying there was a tutorial to show the parents how to introduce the toy to the child. If the toy is supposed to cover some basic developmental concept but it is so complicated that the parent needs lessons on how to use it, then it is probably pretty worthless.

That just is there to justify the price.

15 minutes ago, sr49ers2018 said:

same here. montessori near us usally take kids from 18 months. plus i have seen similar productions like hers for much cheaper rate. 300 bucks for every 3 months is ridiculous. Harvard education for sure made a snob.

It's not Harvard education. It's growing up rich and never experiencing any real problems, which not so coincidentally is the demographic who tends to get into Harvard. Someone who grew up poor or middle class would be freaking out of their goddamn mind if they blew through $2.6 million in a year. That type of obliviousness to real-world concerns only comes from a lifetime of money not being an object (insert joke about object permanence here).

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Love 12
6 minutes ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

Also non-drinker and I agree. Who the hell is drinking all this wine? Why does my town of 19,000 people have six liquor stores and zero supermarkets? In the past when I bought wine I would just get the Barefoot wine because it was one that I had before so I knew it would be ok. Besides the differences between white and red, they all taste exactly the same to me though.

I also don't drink. It's interesting that there are three of us here who all feel the same way about his product. I think we are actually his target market. He seemed to be interested in teaching beginners the basics. Once you've got that mastered,  you'd learn to select your own wines without his cheat-sheet on the bottle and move on to another brand.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

Sorry but I laughed during the ZuGo Pet product, lol. I have a little chihuahua who would probably benefit from such a product because he's all over the place when we're in my car but I'm wondering how this would work on much larger dogs? And I agree with the Sharks who suggested they get better marketing behind the product. Look at statistics of loose animals injuring passengers, get some vet organizations to speak on the product, ect. I can actually see it selling quite well but it needs a lot of work.

I laughed too, and I felt bad for the presenters. Sharks laughing a little is good. Sharks cracking up so much you can't talk? Means you aren't going to get a deal.

And regarding statistics, the one woman said they couldn't find them. I'm sure it's hard to find real accurate data, but a quick google search tells me over 100,000 dogs die riding in truck beds every year, that there are almost 6 million car accidents a year, and 80% of pet owners drive with a car. Surely someone with more than 2 minutes could work those numbers into a good ad campaign.

Also, over a million dogs die getting hit by cars each year.  Which their product doesn't solve, but is so sad.

1 hour ago, eel2178 said:

I also don't drink. It's interesting that there are three of us here who all feel the same way about his product. I think we are actually his target market. He seemed to be interested in teaching beginners the basics. Once you've got that mastered,  you'd learn to select your own wines without his cheat-sheet on the bottle and move on to another brand.

Non-drinker number 4, and I agree we don't need another wine. Was the idea that it was to help people who may want to bring wine as a gift to someone's house and that the label would help them pick it out? Because can't you just ask the person who works at the store for a recommendation?

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, rhys said:

I'm i wasn't listening to the dog pitch (phone call). Were the dog deaths due to unrestrained critters in cars? IoW not counting dogs in truck beds.

Yes, the pitch was on critters in cars, not trucks. But the truck beds was what comes up when you google dogs dying in car accidents. My point was just that there are numbers out there about dogs dying in car accidents that they could use for scaring people in some marketing material.

1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

And regarding statistics, the one woman said they couldn't find them. I'm sure it's hard to find real accurate data, but a quick google search tells me over 100,000 dogs die riding in truck beds every year, 

Yet there are people who are still stupid enough to put their human children in the bed of a pick-up.

• Love 2

My Obvious Wine would have to have to read #tasteslikegrapejuice.

That poor little dog was shaking. I wanted to scope it up and snuggle it. I could probably use a restraint for my Yorkie Poo who likes to pace around the car on drives.

My nephew goes to a Montessori school and honestly, I get this vibe that its reputation is for the upper crust. It’s a prestige thing as much as it is an education thing. But it may just be my sibling’s family because they seem to want to spend money conspicuously.

I don’t understand the Twist it Up, but also am willing to concede I don’t know thing one about Afro-centric hair. So I am clearly not their market.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, eel2178 said:

Yet there are people who are still stupid enough to put their human children in the bed of a pick-up.

Soooo, when I was a kid, I went to a small sports camp in my hometown.  I remember all the kids in my group (5-10) riding in the back of a pick-up truck by sitting on the ledge of the bed!  Since I was just a kid, I had no idea how dangerous it was...now I'm appalled.  That was a different time, and I can't imagine something like that happening now.

• Love 2

If the Montessori woman’s goal was educating children she could have done it much better with simplification and a model that could be adapted to a wide consumer base.

Level 1 could be for people who just want the basic concepts of Montessori.  When I was pregnant I got weekly emails telling me “your baby is now the size of a grapefruit.  This week it grew ears.  You might begin to experience trouble breathing as your grapefruit pushes your lungs up to your neck”.   That sort of thing could work for a basic Montessori introduction.  “Your baby is 5 months old and is beginning to learn about object permanence. This is what object permanence is.  These are games you can play.  Here are common toys that teach this concept”.  Make it cheap and accessible for a wide group of people who just want the basics.

Level 2 includes Level 1 plus videos.  Maybe access to an online educator for questions/demonstrations.  Maybe a monthly group play date/session with a local Montessori educator.  Something like that.  More robust than Level 1, for people who really want to learn/use Montessori principles but for whom Level 3 will never be within reach.

Level 3 is her current model with all the bells and whistles, for those who are really serious about Montessori and are willing and able to go all in.

The whole thing seemed really over the top for what it was.  

• Love 6

The purse dog safety people went to the expense of having their product tested by the Center for Pet Safety, which approves very few products. Surely CPS has the kind of stats Mark requested. The product was ridiculous IMO. They said the dog is comfortable in it and I find that impossible to believe. 

• Love 2

I despised the Monti-Kids lady with the fire of a thousand suns.  Her biggest problem, IMO, besides having her head firmly up her ass was that she wouldn't stop talking long enough to listen to what anyone was saying.  I'm glad Robert gave her an FU and backed out of the deal.  He got a glimpse of what it would be like to deal with her on a regular basis.  No, thanks.  I'm amazed that he and Kevin made offers.  Seems insanely overpriced to me for educational type toys you can buy elsewhere for a fraction of the cost.  If adults need "tutorials" to explain how to introduce baby toys to their child, they have no business having children.  Seriously.  I can't imagine anyone spending $1200 a year on an educational toy subscription service.  I think she'll be out of business in no time.

I actually understand the pet safety harness.  I agree with the sharks (Mark? Lori?) who said the marketing was not right though.  Instead of pushing it as a cutesy, novelty item, focus on the safety issues.  My dog loves to ride in the car and normally sits shotgun (and loose.)  He'll just sit in the seat and look out the window when we stop.  He doesn't move around and isn't distracting but I never considered I was putting him at risk.  I do know other pet owners whose dogs do pace and move around quite a bit.  The ladies really need to market their device as equivalent to a baby or booster seat.  The video they showed, with the stuffed animal, was horrible - - that is what they need to use to sell their product.   Frankly, I think their product would sell well on something like QVC if they showed the video and demonstrated how to use the harness and seat.

I liked the guy with the comb and I'm glad he got a deal.  He got a great deal because if Daymond can't get the product licensed, Mark will step in.  So it's a win-win for him.

I also liked the wine guy and I thought it was a good idea.  I hardly ever drink and no very little about wine so his wines would be helpful to someone like me - -if I was shopping for wine.  I think Lori will be a good match for him - - she could probably sell insane amounts on QVC.

• Love 5

I have small dogs.  It is absolutely true that leaving them unrestrained in the car is incredibly dangerous.  They are projectiles.  There are car seat belts (I have them) that hook into the human seat belt.  The problem is that they, too, are clunky to use and the straps are so big (even in the XS size) that they overwhelm the dog.  Also, small dogs can't see out the windows when sitting in the seat, which they actually like to do.  And I have to hook and unhook the doggie belts every time I have human passengers.  So I don't use the seatbelts and feel guilty about it every time. 

I was laughing hysterically during the presentation.  But there are some problems with their contraption.  First, it does seem even more complex than the current seatbelts.  Trying to hold your dog in that position while hooking all that stuff?  Dog will be squirming and you're trying to hold and buckle . . . Second, I can't believe my dogs would be comfortable in that position for any length of time.  It's just not natural for them.  Third, don't see this working with larger dogs (even something like a beagle).

What is needed is a doggie seatbelt that is easy to use (easy to place on the dog and in the car) and, even better, can actually stay in place when not being used. 

Finally, I don't think that you actually need numbers of dead dogs to sell the product.  Most people who own small dogs love their dogs and also know the dangers if they are in a crash and their dog is unrestrained.  (Ditto for large dog owners and they too should be restrained).  Whether 1 or 1 million dogs are killed in car crashes each year, the only accident that counts is the one YOU might have.  That is where the marketing needs to be -- do you want YOUR dog to die just because you have a fender bender?  YOU are wearing a seatbelt.  Your CHILD is wearing a seatbelt.  Why isn't your dog? 

Edited by dogdays2
  • Love 4

Dogs loose in cars is a HUGE peeve of mine.  It's dangerous to the dog,  the driver,  the passengers,  and other cars on the road. What if the dog blocks your vision? Makes your hand slip? Gets down by the pedals? Etc. I've long used a harness-style belt that has a loop to slide the regular car seat belt through.  My dog can sit or lie down comfortably but wouldn't be flying in case of an accident. It cost about $30. I was surprised they didn't get a deal,  but I think people don't really stop to consider how dangerous it is. (Also,  please don't let your dog stick its head out of a moving car's window.)

I barely ever drink but I liked the wine guy's product and presentation. I would definitely use those labels to guide me of buying wine.  I prefer not to have to talk to salespeople if I can help it. 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, dogdays2 said:

Trying to hold your dog in that position while hooking all that stuff?  Dog will be squirming and you're trying to hold and buckle . . . 

That's what the Velcro was for. First you stick them in place with the Velcro, then you strap them in.

11 hours ago, dogdays2 said:

I was laughing hysterically during the presentation.  But there are some problems with their contraption.  First, it does seem even more complex than the current seatbelts.  Trying to hold your dog in that position while hooking all that stuff?  Dog will be squirming and you're trying to hold and buckle . . . Second, I can't believe my dogs would be comfortable in that position for any length of time.  It's just not natural for them.  Third, don't see this working with larger dogs (even something like a beagle).

There was a label on there that said up to 25 lbs, which cuts out a large section of the market (Labs, German Shepherds, etc.) And I wondered the same about them being in that position for any length of time. Hell, I get fidgety sitting up straight in the car for anything longer than a 20 minute ride and always end up reclining my seat at some point, I can't imagine a four-legged creature being comfortable suspended upright for longer than a few minutes or so.

I laughed too, and I felt bad for the presenters. Sharks laughing a little is good. Sharks cracking up so much you can't talk? Means you aren't going to get a deal.

Yeah, the fact that they couldn't even get a word in over the laughing was a bad start and it never got better. It's one thing if the product is SUPPOSED to be funny, like the dumb novelty products, but the sincerity of their pitch (saving pet lives) was at extreme odds with the hysteria of the audience. 

At first, I kind of liked that she appeared to be very confident and didn't let the Sharks (particularly the men) talk over her, but she lost me pretty quickly. Her breeziness about the amount of money lost and the continuing money flush was astounding. 

I'm glad Robert went out, she seems like a nightmare to work with. All the confidence in her way with zero results to back it up, that's always a disaster. I only wish Barbara had been there, she's always good at putting the arguers in their place.

• Love 7
On 1/28/2019 at 12:27 PM, bilgistic said:

The chevalier thing was funny the first time-it was brought up way too many times for one episode.

• Love 5
On 2019-01-28 at 3:58 PM, eel2178 said:

Seriously. These are the type of products marketed to the upper class to make them believe that they are not giving their child the very best and so they will grow up at a disadvantage. 

The rich people who buy this crap can brag to their friends about it who will then in turn buy it to keep up with the Jones'.

Harvard lady is her own target market who clearly thinks that money grows on trees.

Edited to add that I never drink wine so I'm not his target market, but I liked him and sometimes I have to buy wine so...

I was intrigued by his name, Brice. I would be surprised if that's a francophone name.

Edited by AEMom
Forgot Brice
  • Love 5
On 2019-01-27 at 9:27 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

I love the Twist it up hair product. But does that mean you would still have to comb out your hair with a pick occasionally? And if so, would it be more tangled? (I think the entrepreneur mentioned he only picks his hair after he shampoos.)

You can, but don’t have to. I pick out my hair every morning, then twist it up. Ihaveextremely curly hair and found that if I didn’t pick it daily, it became really tough to do when I’d wash my hair (which I only do once a week). I currently use a towel to twist my hair, but would buy this product. I’m glad they got a deal.

• Love 3
On 1/27/2019 at 10:27 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

I love the Twist it up hair product. But does that mean you would still have to comb out your hair with a pick occasionally? And if so, would it be more tangled? (I think the entrepreneur mentioned he only picks his hair after he shampoos.)

Did the presenter say something about quickly "twisting" your hair on a date, maybe even in a bar? Wouldn't swirling this thing through your hair in any public space be considered unsanitary or at least impolite? Does it cause hair to come off and float around, like brushing hair does (just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there!). Also, I am not familiar with any sort of hair style (I've shaved my head for decades), so I don't quite get the purpose. Do people want their hair to stick up unevenly? I thought generally haircuts were about a more uniform, even cut/height? There are always different preferences, but it seems like this is a very limited market size. Maybe it's still big enough.

On 1/27/2019 at 8:00 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The wine guy was really good, and Lori will be a great partner for him.    I can't stand mimes though.

Me, either! Or the French, generally (mostly joking). But one thing I couldn't figure out: Wasn't this more about the labeling than the wine? They could get the wine from anywhere. They just need to be able to define it on the label. Lori kept saying the wine was good, but I'm not sure that was the point. Also, given the wine market overall, I'm not sure how many people want to display a "wine for dummies" label when sharing wine. Even people who don't know much about wine can google a few things and fake it.

12 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

There was a label on there that said up to 25 lbs, which cuts out a large section of the market (Labs, German Shepherds, etc.) And I wondered the same about them being in that position for any length of time. Hell, I get fidgety sitting up straight in the car for anything longer than a 20 minute ride and always end up reclining my seat at some point, I can't imagine a four-legged creature being comfortable suspended upright for longer than a few minutes or so.

I think this mostly only has a chance with those small, handheld dogs that are used to being moved around and are patient enough for it. My 70 lb black labs would laugh at that device. And that is why I love big dogs!

On 1/29/2019 at 6:38 AM, psychoticstate said:

I'm glad Robert gave her an FU and backed out of the deal.  He got a glimpse of what it would be like to deal with her on a regular basis.  No, thanks.  I'm amazed that he and Kevin made offers. 

I thought Robert's view of her was very perceptive. I am sure they have time to prep, but still. She was sharp and had her story together, and still Robert saw through it to the core problem. I half think he made an offer because he suspected she would screw it up, and wanted to say, "I'm out."

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Ottis said:

Did the presenter say something about quickly "twisting" your hair on a date, maybe even in a bar? Wouldn't swirling this thing through your hair in any public space be considered unsanitary or at least impolite? Does it cause hair to come off and float around, like brushing hair does (just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there!). Also, I am not familiar with any sort of hair style (I've shaved my head for decades), so I don't quite get the purpose. Do people want their hair to stick up unevenly? I thought generally haircuts were about a more uniform, even cut/height? There are always different preferences, but it seems like this is a very limited market size. Maybe it's still big enough.

Me, either! Or the French, generally (mostly joking). But one thing I couldn't figure out: Wasn't this more about the labeling than the wine? They could get the wine from anywhere. They just need to be able to define it on the label. Lori kept saying the wine was good, but I'm not sure that was the point. Also, given the wine market overall, I'm not sure how many people want to display a "wine for dummies" label when sharing wine. Even people who don't know much about wine can google a few things and fake it.

I assume they meant to do it in the bathroom like how you would brush your hair in the bathroom. Also since the hair is textured it will not have a uniform surface naturally (unless it's cut into a Fresh Prince flat-top) and this is for a natural look.

I agree on both counts about the wine. If someone doesn't know that much about different types of wine, they probably aren't going to be picky with what they grab either.

• Love 2
On 1/28/2019 at 10:09 PM, LittleIggy said:

I didn’t get why the dog’s butt can’t sit on the car seat. That looked so uncomfortable and anxiety producing for the dogs. 

Someone asked, and I think she said something about their spine.  Doesn't make sense to me, but I'm pretty sure I heard "spine."

On 1/29/2019 at 10:58 AM, librarianbeck said:

Dogs loose in cars is a HUGE peeve of mine.  It's dangerous to the dog,  the driver,  the passengers,  and other cars on the road. What if the dog blocks your vision? Makes your hand slip? Gets down by the pedals? Etc. I've long used a harness-style belt that has a loop to slide the regular car seat belt through.  My dog can sit or lie down comfortably but wouldn't be flying in case of an accident. It cost about $30. I was surprised they didn't get a deal,  but I think people don't really stop to consider how dangerous it is. (Also,  please don't let your dog stick its head out of a moving car's window.)

When I was a kid, the dog always rode in the back seat, so there wasn't any interaction with the driver.

And if we hadn't let this one dog ride with his head sticking out the window, we wouldn't have the cherished memory of when he was doing it and stepped on the (new to us) electric window switch and damn near strangled himself.

• Love 1

Just saw this episode. As a black woman with a mop of Afrocentric hair, I am high-key disappointed that the Twist It Up guy told the uninitiated everywhere that TWA stands for “tiny with afro.”

What the fuzz? It’s teeny-weeny afro, ya dummy! 🤦🏾‍♀️

Edited by link417
Fixed a word
  • Love 3

Maybe there's something needed in the surface area of the device for it to work, but it seemed to me like it was kind of big? Adding to the tennis-racket effect. The dudes in the demo were big guys so sure it fit in the palm of their hands, but it seemed like for many women it'd be uncomfortably large. It didn't seem like they had different sizes so I'm wondering if it needed to be that size to work. Or possibly I just have super tiny hands. I mean, actually, I know I have super tiny hands, but I wonder if that's a factor in their market.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:59 AM, Ottis said:

I think this mostly only has a chance with those small, handheld dogs that are used to being moved around and are patient enough for it. My 70 lb black labs would laugh at that device. And that is why I love big dogs!

Please post a video of your dog laughing. It will go well with the picture we have in another thread of a cat wearing a onsies.

• Love 2

Doggie seat belt - I wonder what vets think about their product.  It doesn't seem like a good way to carry a dog, even a small one.  

Twist It Up - this was one of those products that made me wonder how he first discovered that something that looks like a tennis racket would work well.   Did his older brother give him a "noogie" with a racquetball racket and when it wa over, he thought, "hey, my hair looks really good!"  

Wine guy - Add me to the list of non-drinkers, which in my case, also makes me a non-carer.

Montessori lady - she had a product that was the solution to a problem that doesn't exist.  

• Love 4
5 hours ago, needschocolate said:

Twist It Up - this was one of those products that made me wonder how he first discovered that something that looks like a tennis racket would work well.   Did his older brother give him a "noogie" with a racquetball racket and when it wa over, he thought, "hey, my hair looks really good!"  

LOL!

• Love 1
On 1/30/2019 at 8:59 AM, Ottis said:

That's my thought.  I wouldn't want to bring a bottle of wine to a party and have a label that essentially says "I don't know anything about wines so I bought this."  And typically when I buy wine, the labels tell me what it pairs well with already.  I just don't see a need. Not to mention, a lot of non-wine snobs like me often looks to try things because there is a kitschy label.

Also, what the hell Lori lumping in women as "just wanting to drink wine" and not being wine snobs.   Just seemed like a gross stereotype that something called "Obvious Wines" would appeal more to women.

• Love 1

The Monti Kids company was on "The Pitch" January 30th podcast  https://www.gimletmedia.com/the-pitch/shark-tank-vs-the-pitch-56-monti-kids  with a much different outcome than on Shark Tank.   Near the end of her pitch she says "that was a lot less stressful than Shark Tank"  and there is a bit of audio from a Shark Tank viewing party that she held for family and friends.  Personally, there would be no way that I would be hosting a viewing party after what happened on Shark Tank.

A couple of comparisons, on Shark Tank she was asking for $200K for 2.5% of the company while on the pitch she said that she was raising a seed round of $3M with a $8M pre-money valuation, so both of the offers were equal, but phrased differently.  In the end she was selling 37.5% of the company in total.   During her pitch she was pushing more on a 1:1 Experts:Parents network that pairs with the toys which is where I think that The Pitch investors saw value and scalability.  She mentioned revenue numbers that I think are unrealistic though, $1.3M this year, $5M next year and $300M in years.   Maybe in software you could do this, but now way is this happening in education kids toys.

Spoiler

In a followup interview she says that she is oversubscribed for the $3M and needs to figure out who to say no to.  The investors on the Pitch had committed over $500K of that total.