Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: Xin

Trini
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, vibeology said:

Lea is behaving the way most 20 year old women behave. They date and have sex with their dates in their home. She is doing nothing wrong.

I knew someone would take me to task for my comments, and that's okay.  I admit they're probably a little unfair, but I'm just thinking out loud here, she's coming off as a little sleazy to me.  I'm a little old fashioned, I guess. 

But I agree entirely that Shaun has agreed to this whole arrangement, so he has completely enabled the entire thing.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I totally get that being diagnosed with cancer has taken a toll on Glassman and he's angry about it. I'm sure it's even realistic for him to be so snippy. My issue is that it's been 13 episodes and Glassman has been pissy for almost all of them. Moreover, he's been treating Shaun like crap.

Again, he treated Shaun like crap last year too, trying to force that therapist on him for one example.  So it's not just the cancer, he's always acted like a prick.

1 hour ago, langford peel said:

She sees him as a pet not a man. It’s that simple.

Lol, I think you're right.

11 hours ago, jhlipton said:

They weren't near her cognitive center, just her speech center, so if she said anything at all, they knew they were OK.  If they showed a ladybug and she said Luna Moth, that would be fine, as long as she spoke.

Yup. I wonder if they would have had more success with numbers instead of images?

1 hour ago, rmontro said:

Again, he treated Shaun like crap last year too, trying to force that therapist on him for one example.  So it's not just the cancer, he's always acted like a prick.

He wanted to help Shaun by getting him with the therapist, it wasn't him being a prick - he knows he is old, he wanted someone to be there for Shaun.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, vibeology said:

What are we talking about here? A woman in her 20s made it clear to a friend that she wasn't interested in him romantically. She made it clear that she would not want to be in a relationship with him. She made it clear that her interest in him is friendship. She asked him if he'd be okay with that once they were living together. She explicitly said she'd be perusing other romantic relationships while they were living together and asked Shaun if he'd be okay with that. She explicitly told him he'd end up hearing her have sex with other guys or accidently walk in on her naked and if he would be okay with that. Shaun said he would be okay with that.

She is not parading sexual boy toys around. She is having a guest over in her home. The friend zone isn't a real thing. Lea was very clear with Shaun that she was not interested in a romantic relationship with him. Shaun is responsible for managing his feelings about that; not Lea. And while that might be more complicated because of his austism, it doesn't relieve him of the responsibility.

Lea is behaving the way most 20 year old women behave. They date and have sex with their dates in their home. She is doing nothing wrong. And what benefits is she getting? She does nearly all of the emotional labour between the two of them. She also has to follow all of Shaun's rules like putting things back in precise spots or buying specific household supplies. She pays rent. The benefit I see is that she gets to live in a nicer place than she can afford on her own and gets to live with someone she likes and trusts. Shaun is getting the same benefits.

She isn't being sleazy. She doesn't owe Shaun a relationship just because he wants one and she doesn't have to live like a nun to placate his feelings. She laid all of this out and Shaun said he would be okay. It's not her fault that she took him at his word, and frankly it would be wrong of her not to take him at his word.

Yes, but...The but being? i) She kissed him first and messed with his mind.  Sure you can redefine the relationship but, you know she kissed him first.  She should never have toyed with him like that knowing she was going to leave.  ii) She was told by Glassman that she would hurt Shaun in *exactly* that way and she understood exactly where Glassman was coming from...but she did it anyway.  She could at least be quieter. iii) Don't do that to anyone whether they are autistic or not and certainly not an abandoned child who has been subject to physical and mental abuse from his father and whose surrogate father and practically only other friend is facing death/debilitating cancer treatment.  I mean, really?  Sleep with Jake, nice man though he be, at Jake's apartment.  Dick move.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, doctor destiny said:

Yes, but...The but being? i) She kissed him first and messed with his mind.  Sure you can redefine the relationship but, you know she kissed him first.  She should never have toyed with him like that knowing she was going to leave.  ii) She was told by Glassman that she would hurt Shaun in *exactly* that way and she understood exactly where Glassman was coming from...but she did it anyway.  She could at least be quieter. iii) Don't do that to anyone whether they are autistic or not and certainly not an abandoned child who has been subject to physical and mental abuse from his father and whose surrogate father and practically only other friend is facing death/debilitating cancer treatment.  I mean, really?  Sleep with Jake, nice man though he be, at Jake's apartment.  Dick move.

I don't like the term "toyed" it suggests a deliberate manipulation of someone's feelings in order to get what you want. I don't think that's what Leah did when she kissed him during their road trip together. I rewatched that scene and I interpreted as Leah wanting to give Shaun a new experience like they had been doing throughout that episode e.g. skipping work, listening to music, teaching him to drive, drinking alcohol, karaoke etc. It was "in the moment" and I don't think Leah foresaw that she would want to leave to pursue her dream.

I don't understand your point about Glassman? They had already moved in together on Shaun's insistence after establishing that they would just be friends?

About the sex noises- all Shaun has to do is tell her to keep it down. It's one of the classic awkwards things that happen when you have a roommate which Leah actually warned him about.

You are framing it as something that Leah is doing to Shaun in order to hurt him and then bringing up completely irrelevant details to villainise Leah and infantilize Shaun. Shaun suffered mental/physical abuse and Glassman has cancer therefore Leah is a dick for being a little too loud during sex? -How does that make sense? 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, beyondthezone said:

About the sex noises- all Shaun has to do is tell her to keep it down. It's one of the classic awkwards things that happen when you have a roommate which Leah actually warned him about.

I guess I'm old fashioned, too, but it doesn't seem like something a roommate should have to do, it seems like common civility to know to keep quiet. Or quieter -- it's a pretty big apartment, how loud were they that he needed earphones to cover up. If she can be considerate enough to put everything back in the right place not to bug him, she can make an effort not to be so loud during sex.

• Love 6
50 minutes ago, ForReal said:

I guess I'm old fashioned, too, but it doesn't seem like something a roommate should have to do, it seems like common civility to know to keep quiet. Or quieter -- it's a pretty big apartment, how loud were they that he needed earphones to cover up. If she can be considerate enough to put everything back in the right place not to bug him, she can make an effort not to be so loud during sex.

Leah probably didn't know that Shaun could hear that's why it's important for him to tell her to keep it down.

What I'm trying to say is that the  volume during her amorous activities are unintentionally loud. Leah didn't even want Jake to meet Shaun in their kitchen so do you think she would want Shaun to hear her having sex?

Why project intentional malice on behalf of Leah over sex noises? 

Edited by beyondthezone
  • Love 3

I think think the fault with the writers is that Sean is a highly intelligent ADULT with autism  not a six year old.  An adult would put the popcorn and juice on the coffee table and yell that the movie is ready to go.  Not present the tray at the bedroom door like an offering.  All the autistic kids I have worked with learn continuously to mimic “normal” behaviours.  For instance by now Sean would have learned not to blurt out “you have cancer “ or “you are dying “ to a patient.  If he can memorize and store all the medical info he can learn social mores.  Impulse control will always be an issue but he is high functioning and would learn from and retain that learning. I am disappointed that the writers have chosen not to show him having any growth at all in that area  They portray his as a child all the time 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, beyondthezone said:

I don't like the term "toyed" it suggests a deliberate manipulation of someone's feelings in order to get what you want. I don't think that's what Leah did when she kissed him during their road trip together. I rewatched that scene and I interpreted as Leah wanting to give Shaun a new experience like they had been doing throughout that episode e.g. skipping work, listening to music, teaching him to drive, drinking alcohol, karaoke etc. It was "in the moment" and I don't think Leah foresaw that she would want to leave to pursue her dream.

I don't understand your point about Glassman? They had already moved in together on Shaun's insistence after establishing that they would just be friends?

You are framing it as something that Leah is doing to Shaun in order to hurt him and then bringing up completely irrelevant details to villainise Leah and infantilize Shaun. Shaun suffered mental/physical abuse and Glassman has cancer therefore Leah is a dick for being a little too loud during sex? -How does that make sense? 

Toyed is the word Glassman used and if the shoe fits...Kissing a man for the first time, almost taking it further (and not due to his puking) and then saying you might kiss him again in the morning when you know you are leaving could even be seen as cruel.  It's probably not, more thoughtless, but it's not OK autistic or not.  It's not the same as teaching someone to drive!  It was Glassman who called her on it.  Sex noises? That's still pretty rude given the circumstances and her conversation with Glassman.  I don't think Lea is a villain at all.  She is caring towards Shaun in general, young and impetuous and having fun and has made it clear what her relationship with Shaun is - also one where he sees a benefit.  For all her understanding of him, they aren't compatible IMHO.  She is also capable of causing pain to Shaun.  When your close relatives have cancer you can't deal with much at all.  Most of your mental energy revolves around dealing with the sickness and helping and/or dread of their dying.  Add that to 36 hour shifts and the threat of your license being withdrawn.  This isn't about infantilizing Shaun though it bugs me when the writers do that.  I have autistic children that I accept for exactly who they are, wonderful individuals who will become independent adults.   Also autistic adult friends and relatives.  If I had a roommate going through what Shaun is going through, autistic or not, I'd show more care.  Part of her behavior is written I believe in good faith to illuminate what Shaun can bring to Lea.  A good supportive friend who doesn't judge her.  She has her own issues.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, milner said:

I think think the fault with the writers is that Sean is a highly intelligent ADULT with autism  not a six year old.  An adult would put the popcorn and juice on the coffee table and yell that the movie is ready to go.  Not present the tray at the bedroom door like an offering.  All the autistic kids I have worked with learn continuously to mimic “normal” behaviours.  For instance by now Sean would have learned not to blurt out “you have cancer “ or “you are dying “ to a patient.  If he can memorize and store all the medical info he can learn social mores.  Impulse control will always be an issue but he is high functioning and would learn from and retain that learning. I am disappointed that the writers have chosen not to show him having any growth at all in that area  They portray his as a child all the time 

Which is why they need an #actuallyautistic consultant on the series.  The writing is inconsistent.  Highmore's first episode that he wrote is nuanced.  "I'm coming with you"...but then he ends up either regressing or at least not progressing and it is a total fallacy that autistic adults don't evolve and grow.  I do think that seems to be addressed in future episodes.  He seems a bit more experimental of late.  And while I get they don't want to set him up as a surgical wunderkind, a lot of the autistic people I know have amazing talents.  Yeah #not allautisticsaresavants but god my kids' memory, musical ability and imaginations are wonderful.  Imagine what that will be when they become adults.  What is true in the case of my kids and also in Shaun's representation is that understanding takes time but it can suddenly come together in a leap of understanding.  That seems to happen at the end of the episode where Shaun realizes he should go back and check on Glassman.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, vibeology said:

The friend zone isn't a real thing. .

This needs to be repeated loudly from the rooftops!  if a woman asks a man to be just be her friend, he either says "Of course" because he likes and respects her, or he wasn't her friend at all.

At a meta level, I think the writers are making character adjustments from what they don't think worked in the first season -- particularly with Reznik and Lea.  So we may have retcon some aspects of Shaun and Leah's Great Day Out.

I don't think she's in any way obligated to stifle herself during sex.  Shaun is perfectly capable of putting on headphones.

12 hours ago, bros402 said:

Yup. I wonder if they would have had more success with numbers instead of images?

I think she would have been (and was) more engaged with bugs.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, doctor destiny said:

Toyed is the word Glassman used and if the shoe fits...Kissing a man for the first time, almost taking it further (and not due to his puking) and then saying you might kiss him again in the morning when you know you are leaving could even be seen as cruel.  It's probably not, more thoughtless, but it's not OK autistic or not.  It's not the same as teaching someone to drive!  It was Glassman who called her on it.  Sex noises? That's still pretty rude given the circumstances and her conversation with Glassman.  I don't think Lea is a villain at all.  She is caring towards Shaun in general, young and impetuous and having fun and has made it clear what her relationship with Shaun is - also one where he sees a benefit.  For all her understanding of him, they aren't compatible IMHO.  She is also capable of causing pain to Shaun.  When your close relatives have cancer you can't deal with much at all.  Most of your mental energy revolves around dealing with the sickness and helping and/or dread of their dying.  Add that to 36 hour shifts and the threat of your license being withdrawn.  This isn't about infantilizing Shaun though it bugs me when the writers do that.  I have autistic children that I accept for exactly who they are, wonderful individuals who will become independent adults.   Also autistic adult friends and relatives.  If I had a roommate going through what Shaun is going through, autistic or not, I'd show more care.  Part of her behavior is written I believe in good faith to illuminate what Shaun can bring to Lea.  A good supportive friend who doesn't judge her.  She has her own issues.

My point was that Leah is caring towards Shaun and his situation. She wouldn't invest time in teaching him to drive,  take Glassman to his appointments, adjust around her roommates habits, listen to Shaun about Glassman's cancer  etc if she wasn't caring.

Leah additionally asked Shaun if he was okay with Jake staying over- Shaun said yes.

If Shaun wants to be more than friends, doesn't like Jake, wants the sex to be quieter,whatever then he has to communicate that- Leah can't be held responsible for reading Shaun's mind. 

Shaun and Leah are two adults navigating through their friendship/ living situation- they are both capable of hurting each other and have done so-that's life.

Moreover I don't see the point in constantly going back to the roadtrip kiss when it happened a season ago and plenty of episodes and emotional talks and established the boundaries that Shaun agreed to. Which was that he wanted to live with Leah under the agreement that they will remain friends

Edited by beyondthezone
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, beyondthezone said:

My point was that Leah is caring towards Shaun and his situation. She wouldn't invest time in teaching him to drive,  take Glassman to his appointments, adjust around her roommates habits, listen to Shaun about Glassman's cancer  etc if she wasn't caring.

Leah additionally asked Shaun if he was okay with Jake staying over- Shaun said yes.

If Shaun wants to be more than friends, doesn't like Jake, wants the sex to be quieter,whatever then he has to communicate that- Leah can't be held responsible for reading Shaun's mind. 

Shaun and Leah are two adults navigating through their friendship/ living situation- they are both capable of hurting each other and have done so-that's life.

Moreover I don't see the point in constantly going back to the roadtrip kiss when it happened a season ago and plenty of episodes and emotional talks and established the boundaries that Shaun agreed to. Which was that he wanted to live with Leah under the agreement that they will remain friends

I don't think we disagree on your points that much.  Clearly she is caring.  What I would say is that as friends when one person is going through a living hell - and a parent with cancer fits the bill - the other caring friend typically carries the load a bit more.  I've been on both sides of that fence.  She has helped out a lot which is commendable.  The plot line here seems inconsistent with her understanding of Shaun.  And incidentally Shaun's suffering has made him more caring instead of pretty justifiably being bitter about his life.

The roadtrip kiss can't really be swept under the carpet, I think, as it is a glaring inconsistency in the plot and serves to infantilize Shaun too much.  And it's not about some mythical friendzone.  She kissed him and wanted more, left and then came back.  That's pretty confusing to a neurotypical more or less an autistic man with PTSD who has been through a lot.  Oh and also one who would have 100% recall of the event.

Edited by doctor destiny
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, beyondthezone said:

I don't see the point in constantly going back to the roadtrip kiss when it happened a season ago

7 minutes ago, doctor destiny said:

The roadtrip kiss can't really be swept under the carpet, I think, as it is a glaring inconsistency in the plot and serves to infantilize Shaun too much. 

I think the writers may realize that it is an inconsistency and that's why neither Shaun nor Lea have mentioned it.  In fact, Shaun, Lea and "Glassy"s Great Day Out may have been written to replace Shaun and Lea's Great Day Out.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, doctor destiny said:

The roadtrip kiss can't really be swept under the carpet, I think, as it is a glaring inconsistency in the plot and serves to infantilize Shaun too much.  And it's not about some mythical friendzone.  She kissed him and wanted more, left and then came back.  That's pretty confusing to a neurotypical more or less an autistic man with PTSD who has been through a lot.  Oh and also one who would have 100% recall of the event.

Sometimes a kiss doesn't mean anything. It was in the moment and when the moment passed it was nothing. If I recall correctly, it was a drunken kiss. Casual kisses happen and adults should be able to take them in stride and move on. Lea and Shaun were never anything approaching a couple or even a potential couple. Lea moved to Pittsburgh specifically to work in her father's business. She didn't leave Shaun, she made a career and family-related decision and she came back because the business went bankrupt, not because of Shaun. Lea spelled it out why she was moving to Pittsburgh. There was nothing confusing or ambiguous about her reasons. She doesn't have to take the feelings of her neighbor, whom she sometimes hangs out with, into account when making life decisions. Not everything other people do has to be all about Shaun.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, doctor destiny said:

But you're leaving out the part where when she came back she explicitly stated that she did not want to be in a relationship with Shaun and was not interested in him romantically, only as a friend. Then she told him she'd be pursuing other romantic relationships and would be having sex in their shared home. That's not confusing. It may not be what Shaun wants to hear and it may hurt, but it's not confusing. Lea has been crystal clear about her feelings, worries and intentions since her return. She has taken Shaun at his word that he is okay with where she stands. He is the problem here because he doesn't want to give up having Lea in his life but he's not actually okay with the fact that she only wants to be friends. Shaun needs to deal with that conflict. It is his problem, not hers. And the fact that Shaun is an autistic man with PTSD who is going through both personal and professional stress is also his problem to deal with. Lea was a sounding board for him this episode but beyond that, developing coping skills is on him to deal with.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, orza said:

Sometimes a kiss doesn't mean anything. It was in the moment and when the moment passed it was nothing. If I recall correctly, it was a drunken kiss. Casual kisses happen and adults should be able to take them in stride and move on. Lea and Shaun were never anything approaching a couple or even a potential couple. Lea moved to Pittsburgh specifically to work in her father's business. She didn't leave Shaun, she made a career and family-related decision and she came back because the business went bankrupt, not because of Shaun. Lea spelled it out why she was moving to Pittsburgh. There was nothing confusing or ambiguous about her reasons. She doesn't have to take the feelings of her neighbor, whom she sometimes hangs out with, into account when making life decisions. Not everything other people do has to be all about Shaun.

But it's not called the Good Neighbor.  She offered to kiss him in the morning too when she was sober and had made up her mind.  When would that have happened outside of a TV show just forgetting that?  It's not about their being a couple.  It's the willful ignorance that this happened.  And she came back to Shaun because she didn't have any other friends to look after her (hence Glassman's point in Aftermath).  She didn't like San Jose.  Why come back there?  

3 minutes ago, vibeology said:

But you're leaving out the part where when she came back she explicitly stated that she did not want to be in a relationship with Shaun and was not interested in him romantically, only as a friend. Then she told him she'd be pursuing other romantic relationships and would be having sex in their shared home. That's not confusing. It may not be what Shaun wants to hear and it may hurt, but it's not confusing. Lea has been crystal clear about her feelings, worries and intentions since her return. She has taken Shaun at his word that he is okay with where she stands. He is the problem here because he doesn't want to give up having Lea in his life but he's not actually okay with the fact that she only wants to be friends. Shaun needs to deal with that conflict. It is his problem, not hers. And the fact that Shaun is an autistic man with PTSD who is going through both personal and professional stress is also his problem to deal with. Lea was a sounding board for him this episode but beyond that, developing coping skills is on him to deal with.

Again this isn't about saying they should have a romantic relationship but the gaslighting of the writers.  Oh course there is no quid pro quo.  But it's also not as if she didn't lead him on before and hasn't been warned about her hurting Shaun again.  In those circumstances if you are having lots of great sex, you know, keep it a bit quieter.  It's rude.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, bros402 said:

He wanted to help Shaun by getting him with the therapist, it wasn't him being a prick - he knows he is old, he wanted someone to be there for Shaun.

I disagree, he was being a prick.  Shaun told him over and over and over he didn't want or need a therapist, but Glassman kept pushing it on him and even got him one anyway.  It was almost as tiresome as the cancer storyline.  That's not even the only example from last year, it's just the one that comes to mind.  Glassman treated Shaun like a child. 

5 hours ago, milner said:

For instance by now Sean would have learned not to blurt out “you have cancer “ or “you are dying “ to a patient.  If he can memorize and store all the medical info he can learn social mores. 

The difference is that Sean is interested in the medical stuff, for whatever reason.  I wouldn't view Shaun as the national representative for autistic people, but rather as an individual with his own traits and quirks.

1 hour ago, orza said:

Sometimes a kiss doesn't mean anything. It was in the moment and when the moment passed it was nothing. If I recall correctly, it was a drunken kiss. Casual kisses happen and adults should be able to take them in stride and move on.

What you're leaving out here is that Shaun has no experience in this sort of thing, and is therefore more vulnerable to catching feelings.  How many females do you suppose have granted him that kind of attention?  Of course, that doesn't make it Lea's problem.

3 hours ago, rmontro said:
5 hours ago, orza said:

Sometimes a kiss doesn't mean anything. It was in the moment and when the moment passed it was nothing. If I recall correctly, it was a drunken kiss. Casual kisses happen and adults should be able to take them in stride and move on.

What you're leaving out here is that Shaun has no experience in this sort of thing, and is therefore more vulnerable to catching feelings.  How many females do you suppose have granted him that kind of attention?  Of course, that doesn't make it Lea's problem.

That's the crux of it, I think - or, not even that he 'caught feelings' (which would have been perfectly reasonable for him to do at the time), but that romantic behavior followed by a statement that there's nothing romantic between them is an inconsistency he doesn't have a frame of reference for.

As I said upthread, the viewers, or someone more relationship-savvy, might guess at the reasons. Shaun doesn't seem to have.

(And yes, as others suggested, it could be a case of the writers changing their minds rather than Lea the character doing so, or that they're deliberately concealing something until a later date. But it still seems reasonable to think that Shaun is looking at the kiss as a data point.)

Edited by Emma9
  • Love 1
On 30/01/2019 at 3:44 AM, tennisgurl said:

Loved when Lim mentioned that their patient had autism, and Reznick looked over at Shaun. "They dont all know each other." I love Lim so much. 

Wow, Mrs. Kim is even less supportive of this daughters music dreams than she was of Lanes! ;) 

Lane and Grace should have a band together! And then the two surrogate and well-behaved daughters of Mrs. Kim could hang out too...

So Shaun doesn't know yet that he might be suspended? Shouldn't he be freaking out about that???

Shut up , Morgan!!!! I liked her better when she was CTB, and not Claire 2.

Edited by maddie965
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Emma9 said:

And yes, as others suggested, it could be a case of the writers changing their minds rather than Lea the character doing so, or that they're deliberately concealing something until a later date.

Yeah, we still don't know what happened in Hershey.  They've made a point of not telling us, so there must be something of significance there.  Not sure if it's related to her (non) relationship with Shaun though.  Might be, might not.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, doctor destiny said:

Which is why they need an #actuallyautistic consultant on the series.  The writing is inconsistent.  Highmore's first episode that he wrote is nuanced.  "I'm coming with you"...but then he ends up either regressing or at least not progressing and it is a total fallacy that autistic adults don't evolve and grow.  I do think that seems to be addressed in future episodes.  He seems a bit more experimental of late.  And while I get they don't want to set him up as a surgical wunderkind, a lot of the autistic people I know have amazing talents.  Yeah #not allautisticsaresavants but god my kids' memory, musical ability and imaginations are wonderful.  Imagine what that will be when they become adults.  What is true in the case of my kids and also in Shaun's representation is that understanding takes time but it can suddenly come together in a leap of understanding.  That seems to happen at the end of the episode where Shaun realizes he should go back and check on Glassman.

Yeah, all people with autism are different - I have a very good memory, my doctors are shocked at how good it is (My last neuropsychological evaluation, I had the highest score the doctor has ever seen on the knowledge portion) - sure, my motor skills suck, but I have a good brain, except with math, math is annoying. 

And addressing an earlier post that I forgot to quote, yeah, Shaun shouldn't have come to the door with the stuff, if this show were better written, I would think Shaun was doing that just to make a point to Leah - "Spend some time at his house!"

• Love 2
22 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

So cute!  I haven't been a "shipper" in a long, long time, but I may be one for this couple. 

I am with you. I started watching the show because of Shaun's character. I was really intrigued by the premise of the show and wasn't exactly expecting to get caught up in the other characters as much as I have. I've really enjoyed seeing how Melendez has changed the more he's worked with Shaun. And, I love that Lim isn't afraid to stand her ground and speak her mind. Her comment about Lana & Javi's relationship not having any baggage was interesting. I'm curious to see if they explore that any with her and Melendez.

• Love 7

I thought Glassman was being a person who was seriously ill.  Even the nicest people can change when undergoing cancer treatment.  I have a friend whose mother was the kindest, most gentle and sensitive person you could ever imagine, someone who would NEVER be rude to anyone, who became extremely sensitive to any type of perfumed scents following her chemo treatments, and would tell my friend that she smelled terrible, that she found her revolting, and please stay the hell away.  It was my friend's shampoo that caused this reaction.  This was devastating to my friend as she was trying to help her mother during this terrible time.  I can still remember her calling me, unable to speak because she was sobbing so hard.  I thought her mother had died, but instead she had become someone my friend didn't recognize.  When I was going through a serious illness & treatment, I remember wishing that I would have a day when no one would ask me how I was feeling, did I have any pain, nausea, fatigue, depression, loss of appetite, dizziness . . .  I just wanted not to be reminded that I was sick.  And I never had to deal with someone like Shaun.  Whether Glassman was a "dick" before becoming ill or not, I completely understand his behavior now.  

I was surprised that someone who has a mechanical heart wouldn't be wearing some type of medic-alert bracelet to alert paramedics or ER staff.  

• Love 6
47 minutes ago, Calvada said:

It was my friend's shampoo that caused this reaction. 

So change to a fragrance-free shampoo. What's the big deal? I the woman so identified with her shampoo that she can't tell the difference between her mother being allergic to the shampoo and rejecting her personally? It's like telling an asthmatic they're hurting you by wheezing.

I do agree with this, though:

47 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I was surprised that someone who has a mechanical heart wouldn't be wearing some type of medic-alert bracelet to alert paramedics or ER staff.  

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 1

When Shaun asked Jake if he were a drummer, I thought he was next going to say, “because your (whatever upper body muscles you use for drumming) are particularly developed,” since the guy was standing there shirtless.

• Love 5
On 2/2/2019 at 11:04 AM, MVN-Hokies said:

I started watching the show because of Shaun's character. I was really intrigued by the premise of the show and wasn't exactly expecting to get caught up in the other characters as much as I have. I've really enjoyed seeing how Melendez has changed the more he's worked with Shaun. And, I love that Lim isn't afraid to stand her ground and speak her mind. Her comment about Lana & Javi's relationship not having any baggage was interesting. I'm curious to see if they explore that any with her and Melendez.

My main reason for beginning to watch when the show premiered is that I was a big fan of Bates Motel, and Freddie Highmore had done a phenomenal job making the Norman Bates character in that show his own, so I was very intrigued as to how well he would do playing an autistic doctor. As I thought, he made the Shaun character his own too. But I too got caught up in Claire's life last season, and continuously felt bad that she ended up in bad situations (the woman whose intubation she messed up, getting harassed by the creepy doctor, having to look at a prisoner shoot himself after one of her coworkers needled him into doing it, constantly being judged by Reznick). I also began getting caught up in Melendez's life once he evolved into a more likable character. I liked that Lea was there for Shaun when he needed to talk about something (her just leaving town after the road trip was too sudden and I like that the show and charcters did not ignore that, but I still like her as a character).

I now find myself completely invested in this show.

Edited by Virtual
  • Love 3

I'm not mad that Lea has a sex life etc. I'm frustrated with her showcasing this irritating bohemian persona while she works for a (seemingly prestigious) TECH company...?? It's not connecting for me. All episode she was in a robe or lingerie of some sort....okayyyy. I'm sure it was purposeful but whatever. I don't need highlighter on her "plotline." I get it, she's having sex. 

What's annoying is she BEGGED & pleaded Shaun to move in with her. He initially said "no" and she was the one pushing. Does she have not ONE neutral friend that she hasn't kissed...a coworker , anyone , to beg to be "roomieeeeeeessss" with?! 

I agree with previous poster ...Glassman is a one trick pony. We loved his relationship w Shaun and his position at the hospital for a short time-then they gave him cancer.  I appreciate the realistic portrayal that it can make you grouchy and frustrated and weak...but from a writing perspective,  they made us quickly forget what we immediately loved about the character. We needed more of Glassman to get invested in him before this all went down. I dont like when shows do this...expect us to care about a character one way or other who hasn't dug their heels into the character/role nearly enough before a twist. 

On 2/7/2019 at 11:40 AM, Kdawg82 said:

I'm not mad that Lea has a sex life etc. I'm frustrated with her showcasing this irritating bohemian persona while she works for a (seemingly prestigious) TECH company...?? It's not connecting for me. All episode she was in a robe or lingerie of some sort....okayyyy. I'm sure it was purposeful but whatever. I don't need highlighter on her "plotline." I get it, she's having sex. 

Leah works at a tech company therefore she can't have bohemian tastes or a vibrant personality?

Before Leah left for Hershey last season she mentioned being rather unsatisfied incessant "board meetings" despite having a decent salary. Now it seems that this current place of work is rather relaxed and upbeat judging by the cafeteria, ice ring, basketball court so I really don't see the issue.

On 2/7/2019 at 11:40 AM, Kdawg82 said:

What's annoying is she BEGGED & pleaded Shaun to move in with her. He initially said "no" and she was the one pushing. Does she have not ONE neutral friend that she hasn't kissed...a coworker , anyone , to beg to be "roomieeeeeeessss" with?! 

This is the exact OPPOSITE of what happened. 

Shaun wanted them move into together, he got the apartment for them to share without even discussing it with her first. Leah on the other hand refused since didn't want to risk hurting him again. She even got his deposit back until Shaun just paid it again. It was only after his insistence that Leah agreed to trust him.

Edited by beyondthezone
  • Love 4