Type keyword(s) to search

Torchwood in the Media

SOOOOOO... JB mentioned on Facebook tonight that he is going to watch the first episode of Torchwood, for a reason, that he'll be talking about later. Check out his FB when you get a chance.

Then he says "The 21st Century is when it all changes"....and I squee'd a stupid amount. 

This might be for a new book but I dunno, he's up to something

https://www.facebook.com/JohnBarrowmanOfficial/videos/1130817150262039/

Indeed I will. 

But you can watch those on his FB page without being on Facebook yourself. It's hilarious to watch him watch his younger self.  He said, "I had a nice ass" LOL Never change...John never change.

And he was totally wistful about Ianto. :)

Yes, GDL/Ianto had one of his very own. Didn't get to interact with anyone but a new character, though. Don't know if he'll be in series 2 at all. Personally, I wish they were more like the BBC radio plays with all the cast members interacting. I haven't been interested enough by the descriptions to buy one of the new ones.

I was waiting for all of us to chime in on that.  I haven't listened to any of them.  I'd be interested to know if RTD considers them canon the way he considers the original radio plays canon.

That's back on media topic -- if RTD ever says anything about them regarding canon, I'd be interested to see/hear it.

Personally, I wish they were more like the BBC radio plays with all the cast members interacting. I haven't been interested enough by the descriptions to buy one of the new ones.

I might have been more interested in them if they'd been written with the whole team. Can they only afford one team member at a time or something?

Oh, my God -- I had to think back and remember.  Is that the one where Ianto initially starts to shake his hand?  

As much as I loved Cyberwoman*, that kiss was for the ages but not sexy.

*I loved Cyberwoman for the complications, hopes, dreams, and aspirations it engendered.  Even her suit had meaning (homage to that Japanese anime guy) but the episode was too campy for me to love unconditionally.  I loved it for what it opened up.  (Ianto and Jack, Ianto's backstory with Dr. Who and Torchwood One, the Battle of Canary Wharf, how did he get her in the basement, all that.)  Too bad they dropped the ball.  :-(

Of course, the scene with no kiss but beyond adorable was the first date invitation in the office.  LOL  

Yep, those sure were the days....

• Love 1

They killed off the only IantoClone who had any chemistry with Jack -- that was the blonde girl in one of the miniseries, I don't remember which.  I think it was the one where he had the "DC" flat in the rain -- remember?  I loved that they claimed to be in my hometown (they weren't and it wasn't even close but A+ for trying.)

He and she had adorable chemistry and she was a total IantoClone (ingenue has a crush on Jack -- which appeals to Jack, in turn -- and becomes tough and feisty under his influence.  Adorbs.)

The hate I have for CoE burns like a thousand suns.  I will not be a part of that.  Thanks for letting the Torchwood forum know, though!  I'm sure it will get a vote or two.  (Just not mine.  Never, never mine.)

• Love 3

The only thing I liked about CoE was some of the acting. The heretofore unknown grandchild and all the mawkish melodrama over it was a true low point for me with Doctor Who (which is saying a lot), and so was Ianto's death scene, which somehow had all the dramatic power of a wet fart, due to RTD's complete apathy about the character. I loved Ianto and yet I felt nothing other than complete annoyance even as I watched him die. Amateurish and direspectful.

As for Barrowman's comments, if he really thinks Moffat is the reason Torchwood isn't back on TV,  then I don't even know what to say. I can give about 10 reasons right off the bat, and Moffat isn't on the list. 

• Love 1

In July-ish of 2009, I wrote a long review of CoE over on Amazon.  I'm sure it's still there.  I have since read it again -- and my bitter, bitter, bitter complaints still withstand the passage of time.  I can't begin to explain how much I loathed that series but I sure as hell can tell you why.  (Starting with the Muppet in a Box and ending with Pod(!)Ianto going after it with a  pea shooter.)

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 2
On 9/13/2016 at 0:06 PM, Captanne said:

They killed off the only IantoClone who had any chemistry with Jack -- that was the blonde girl in one of the miniseries, I don't remember which.  I think it was the one where he had the "DC" flat in the rain -- remember?  I loved that they claimed to be in my hometown (they weren't and it wasn't even close but A+ for trying.)

He and she had adorable chemistry and she was a total IantoClone (ingenue has a crush on Jack -- which appeals to Jack, in turn -- and becomes tough and feisty under his influence.  Adorbs.)

I really liked Esther and shipped her with Jack.  I felt like she was a hybrid of Ianto and Tosh.

Me, too!!!!  Totally!!!  And, IIRC, folks didn't agree with me at all.  :-\

She was completely a Ianto and Tosh hybrid.  

Also, most importantly, the actress and Barrowman had oodles of chemistry.

• Love 1
(edited)

OMG OMG OMG. Jack is wearing the Risen Mitten.aka the Gauntlet. Is this a clue about resurrecting certain characters or just a clever bit of promotion from JB.

https://www.facebook.com/JohnBarrowmanOfficial/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf

Here it is everybody the 10 yr anniversary of one of the best shows on television #Torchwood #bringbacktorchwood get the magazine today. I tell all! JB
@doctorwhomagazine

.facebook_1476977362447.jpg

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

Not really a media story for Torchwood, but didn't know where to put this...

It's just been announced that the BBC is giving Scotland its own channel.  So, maybe somebody should remind them there's a Torchwood 2 in Scotland that should be reopened.  Someone in the UK, start the petition...!

• Love 1