Type keyword(s) to search

Torchwood in the Media

(edited)

It doesn't look like he's a "Sir", but he gets a medal and the use of "MBE" with his name. The way the Queen gives out awards/honors, he could be knighted in no time!

ETA: Now, Daniel Day-Lewis is a different story! Congrats, Sir Daniel!

Edited by indeed
(edited)

An MBE doesn't make him a sir, it's just an honourific that can be used after his surname. Most people who get these sorts of awards say that it's good when making a reservation at a restaurant, and might get you a free upgrade on a plane, but other than that, it doesn't change your life.

I'm not sure why he's got this honour now, the only thing he's done in Britain for the last few years is appear in panto with weird wife swappers the Krankees and shill his haircare on QVC.

Edited by HauntedBathroom
  • Love 1
(edited)

My understanding of the MBE (as an American) is that it's not a Knighthood, but that he could use "Sir" if he wanted to. 

This is a lifetime honor, not just what he's done lately.  Of course, he's been doing just fine as Malcolm Merlyn on Arrow as recurring main character which is produced in Canada. He's also being honored for his charitable works which he has done for years with little fanfare.

Edited by catrox14
(edited)

I'm sure this could be wrong:

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090420134314AAu85U9

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061230061945AA4YYrU

Their answer to "sir" is "no".  I honestly have no idea.  

(Those articles are really old -- one is 5 years and the other is 8 years -- but, to my mind, the fact that they are that old and aren't contradicted in all this time kind of lends more credibility to the answer rather than less.)

Edited by Captanne

When I posted that I had read that an MBE could use Sir but not that you were an honorary Knight yet.  So I added that to his name partly just out of fun and partly because I guess I was misinformed.  

I had no idea posting a good thing that happened to Mr. Barrowman was so controversial.

Don't make me feel sorry for Malcolm Merlyn, people. :)

(edited)

I find it adorable that Americans get confused by royalty rules*.  LOL  :-)

Congratulations to Barrowman for the recognition.  

*It makes me nervous enough to think of the Bushes and the Clintons as "dynasties". ARGH.  I'd like the USofA to stay endearingly and thoroughly democratic.  That's just my opinion, of course.

Edited by Captanne

I feel your pain mousey :). I am having similar issues because of some developments on Supernatural. I am 100% sure I will never be over the thing on SPN. 

But I did watch a con video with Barrowman and he dropped hints about Torchwood movie because of the book he wrote with his sister Exodus Code. But it was kind of vague.

Oh god yes to both still not being over a stupid, stupid death and not watching a Torchwood movie if they make one.  I am not ashamed to say that I am a bitter fan at the moment.  Especially after trolling the websites and seeing how they are wiping away tons of old Torchwood stuff.

Sometimes I wonder how I can be so hooked on something so hard yet hate what it's done to me (or rather the feelings it stirs up in me).

• Love 1

Sometimes I wonder how I can be so hooked on something so hard yet hate what it's done to me (or rather the feelings it stirs up in me).

I know!   It's like the viewer version of Stockholm Syndrome.

(edited)

I think you mean Stockholder Syndrome (tm Jason Stackhouse from True Blood)

Heh, I think I really benefited in some ways from watching TW starting with CoE so I didn't have the same kind of investment as you all did with Ianto.  I'm just pissed about the Rex continuity and I guess I was hopeful that JB would fix that shit at minimum.

But to the "WHY AM I STILL WATCHING THING", I have recently become OBSESSED with Supernaturnal for Jensen Ackles reasons and I am just on the edge of quitting that show, depending on it's next steps. But let me tell you.  Yeah.....I get it. I mean I always did but you just sayin'. I get it. I mean I said I was quitting after their season finale...who I am kidding!?

So, I'm sure if TW gets another go, I'll stupidly watch, hoping something gets fixed

Edited by catrox14

(OK, this is going off-topic, so I apologize, but I don't frequent Supernatural discussions (mostly for my sanity LOL). I've been a Dean fan from episode 1 and don't see that finale "revelation" as a turn-off. If anything, maybe we'll finally see Sam doing something to help his brother for a change other than "Oh, well!" And surely, the Cas interactions should be interesting... )

So, I'm sure if TW gets another go, I'll stupidly watch, hoping something gets fixed.

I know I'll follow along if not actually watch it. I just can't quite seem to quit this thing--even though there's really nothing there that interests me anymore...

Unless Ianto comes back and it isn't every fan's utter nightmare -- I won't watch any more Torchwood (and admit it.)  

Since CoE, I don't trust RTD with this franchise

at.

all.

I'm not even sure I would trust Julie Whatsit.

If a film happens and Ianto comes back and you guys assure me I won't want to stab my eyes out with blunt chopsticks -- then, perhaps I would tune in.

Bitter?  I wrote the book on bitter.

(edited)

Today. 12:36 pm

(OK, this is going off-topic, so I apologize, but I don't frequent Supernatural discussions (mostly for my sanity LOL). I've been a Dean fan from episode 1 and don't see that finale "revelation" as a turn-off. If anything, maybe we'll finally see Sam doing something to help his brother for a change other than "Oh, well!" And surely, the Cas interactions should be interesting

Heh. Yeah I have lots of feels and opinions about that happened but I agree with you about the Sam thing. I wanted to so long for Dean to have his own storyling especially after the whole Benny thing but JEEBUS not that!

FWIW, I find the SPN forum here to be pretty darn reasonable. I mean sure there are still Sam-girls and Dean-girls but it's nothing like the wars out on the interwebz.

Barrowman said he wants to be God on SPN and lord yes please make that happen.

Edited by catrox14

You mean you don't want to see Jack do it with a volcano?

To show that he is "omnisexual" ? unlike the show LOL How do you do it with a rock while dying, cause i'm assuming Jack is sacrificing himself while doing it as usual.. Otherwise wouldn't a hill be easier less hot anyway LOL

I'm with i won't be watching.I tried i watched MD knowing no Ianto but i'm sorry i thought it was dreadful and stomped on everything i loved about TW and Jack couldn't save the show, cause his character was too busy being stomped on as well.

PS on the Supernatural front, i watch now and then but i understand the "Dean" attraction, been a JA  fan since Dark Angel. That shows how old i am LOL And i'm still loving MW in NCIS

Just a little OT tidbit on MW, apparently there was a lot of strife on the set because he was worried JA was getting more lines than him LOL. And he was dating J Alba and it was all awkward. But MW says that he modeled his character from NCIS on Alec.  Heh.

I love me some Alec. I just think the world of Ackles. He's one of the most amazing actors I've had the pleasure to watch. I'm only 8 years late to the party, just like I was late to Torchwood :).  What can I say. LOST and BSG ruled my world!

(edited)

I'd theoretically watch without Ianto, but I wasn't particularly impressed by COE and thought even less of MD. And despite RTD's belief otherwise, Jack and Gwen alone were never enough of a reason to keep me interested in a show where I found the writing more miss than hit. Despite its many faults I enjoyed the chemistry of the team, thought the various relationships had interesting potential, liked some of the story ideas and themes, if not always the execution and that it was set untypically in Wales. But all that was effectively killed off in s3. I wanted better and more consistent writing not less of a team.

I do find it amusing, though, that five years later those nine hysterical women are still 'mourning' Ianto's death. Apparently he wasn't as easily replaceable as the RTD once thought. lol.

To show that he is "omnisexual" ? unlike the show LOL How do you do it with a rock while dying, cause i'm assuming Jack is sacrificing himself while doing it as usual..

I guess so, but I'm not sure how you'd do it with a rock. You'd have to ask Jack. He's apparently the expert.

Edited by Swansong

despite RTD's belief otherwise, Jack and Gwen alone were never enough of a reason to keep me interested in a show where I found the writing more miss than hit. Despite its many faults I enjoyed the chemistry of the team, thought the various relationships had interesting potential, liked some of the story ideas and themes, if not always the execution and that it was set untypically in Wales. But all that was effectively killed off in s3. I wanted better and more consistent writing not less of a team.

This, right here.  I loved the potential of the team dynamic, I loved the potential of friendships and relationships, I loved that it was set in Wales and that I was learning some things about a part of the world I had never had the pleasure of visiting.  I too kept waiting for things to take a turn for the better - better stories, better writing, and more focus on developing and growing storylines that had been introduced but hadn't gotten any real payoff.  When the end of series 2 came and went I mourned for all that was lost in really getting into who Tosh and Owen were.  When I finished COE, I was so angry that not only did they really kill off everything that made Torchwood watchable/enjoyable for me but they did it in such a way that it felt like I had been slapped.  I didn't watch MD but I read the reviews and summaries of each episode and heard things from my husband who watched it.  I lurked discussion forums and read through everyone's take on what they were seeing.  All of that reassured me that it was a good thing that I didn't watch because I would have been even more angry than I already was.

And even after all of that, I still can't stop talking about it or feeling angry about the injustices to the characters or reading fanfiction to get the type of stories I had wanted on the show or discussing with you guys everything under the Torchwood sun.  I am completely obsessed with a show that I dislike more than I liked it and at the moment, i can't seem to let it go.

I think the show has always been very flawed, but I was able to get past it because I was interested in the characters.  The team was compelling to me, and I wanted to know more about them and watch their dynamics with each other.  By killing off so much of the cast, they eliminated one of it's best draws.  I feel like RTD failed to recognize what was working and compelling to the audience.  Even now with the move to eliminate past references to seasons before MD shows a lack of understanding of what about the show was appealing.  The "Gwen Blows Stuff Up Show" is not as interesting as RTD thinks it is.   Jack is the only reason I continue to care at this point.

At this point, as much as I love Ianto, I would be weary of RTD writing a story for him.  COE was RTD making a effort with Ianto and that lead to death and being a characterized as a liar for no apparent reason.  He seems so bitter about the negative fan reaction to Ianto's death that I feel that he'd purposely make Ianto into some sort of villain in an effort to kill the fandom love for the character.  I don't trust RTD with character i like anymore.  Look at how Jack's been made to endlessly suffer while Gwen always triumphs without sacrificing anything.  I don't want Ianto made low in an effort to make Gwen look better by comparison.

At this point, as much as I love Ianto, I would be weary of RTD writing a story for him.  COE was RTD making a effort with Ianto and that lead to death and being a characterized as a liar for no apparent reason.

Yeah there are worst things than death that can happen to a character and I don't really like to imagine what Ianto would have become if he had survived season 3 in RTD's hand especially after the reaction to Ianto's death.

the "Gwen Blows Stuff Up Show"

That's the best (and most apt) description of MD and Gwen's role in it I've seen. lol.

I'm not a fan of RTD writing style but he does have interesting ideas. Maybe if he concentrated on the story idea and let other writers take the team, whomever they are, go where they need to go, it might be ok. Without enforcing this Gwen is all in the story cause i think that hampers other writers justifing her imput when it doesn't fit sometimes.

Like MD, it seemed like RTD was determined that Gwen suffered a tragedy , cause shock horror she hadn't. But what tragedy despite her supposedly killing her dad to save the world, that's not what we saw. We saw her poor dad being dragged around all over the place and while alive certainly not living. I thought it would be more like a relief that she could stop her dad's pain but no. Just another I'm Queen of the world Gwen moment, when all she did was kill Jack. And since she was very willing to send Jack off to die anyway, not really a big deal then.

But unfortunately to me TW now has a formula that to me is beyond boring. I mean Esther had a huge neon sign above her head saying "this one is the dead one" throughout MD. And it was no surprise that Jack's past had something to do with it or that nothing happened to Gwen. The only surprise was Rex but since they had already smashed everything else about TW, why not by that stage.

Like MD, it seemed like RTD was determined that Gwen suffered a tragedy , cause shock horror she hadn't. But what tragedy despite her supposedly killing her dad to save the world, that's not what we saw. We saw her poor dad being dragged around all over the place and while alive certainly not living. I thought it would be more like a relief that she could stop her dad's pain but no. Just another I'm Queen of the world Gwen moment, when all she did was kill Jack. And since she was very willing to send Jack off to die anyway, not really a big deal then.

I actually liked her scenes with her dad in MD, but her narcissistic speech about how 'she' brought back death and having to kill Jack because of, course the guy who sacrificed his grandson with barely a thought just a season earlier, would need her help to sacrifice himself for the greater good was just ugh. I mean if the show wants to make the sacrifice all Gwen's then make it hers. But don't make it other characters and then make it all about her.

Sorry you said exactly what i meant. I couldn't believe the camera moment again, but hey the ripped off other scenes from previous TW's so i guess i should have believe it. But it was like really, we have this BS again , just stop it RTD it's like truly bad fanfiction now

Let's try and keep this topic limited to mentions of Torchwood in the media. For character or plot discussion, please use the appropriate threads. If there isn't a thread for what you want, feel free to create one!

Not sure if this is indeed the correct place to post this but while I was searching to see if I could find any specific official mention to Luckylyn's question about Jack in his thread, I ran across this and thought it was interesting.

Here's why John Barrowman thinks he "might never be on Doctor Who again"

I had just read earlier this week that RTD is launching three series (two of which are scripted while one is a reality based show) and thought it was interesting that a relaunch of Torchwood was not mentioned.  However, I figured that that didn't necessarily mean anything but reading that quote from John about how he might never be on Doctor Who or Torchwood again got me wondering if the BBC really is done with Torchwood and it's characters. 

As much as I LOVE Jack Harkness, IMO, Barrowman is better off in the Arrow/DC/CW universe at this point of his career. He's quite popular as the villain Malcolm Merlyn/Dark Archer in Arrow in IMO the BEST live action superhero show that has ever existed. The stunts are cinematic. And it's not only good for a superhero show, it's just a good show in general and is currently my favorite show on TV.  So IMO unless they plan a Torchwood movie to wrap up Jack's story, he should just let that legacy live as is and focus on new things.  Because IMO being in the DC world has a lot more cache than Doctor Who especially in the US. 

• Love 1

I love, love, love Jack Harkness (it's the military pilot in me, LOL) but I totally agree with you, Cat.  It's a better move for Barrowman to stay with DC.  

Seriously, I don't trust RTD with the Torchwood franchise anymore.  I've stopped since Day Four.  

While I trust his creativity and idea launching -- I don't trust his follow through.  MD is a good example.  Super-neat idea; terrible execution.  

• Love 1

So is he a regular character in Arrow? Like in every episode? It's not a show I ever would have considered watching, but now that I know he's in it, I'm reconsidering. If I'm just watching for him, is there somewhere I should start other than episode 1? Or seasons/episodes I can skip?

(edited)

He was recurring guest star in s1 and will be a regular in s3. S2 I can't talk about it :).  But no he is not in every episode.  I think Arrow is fantastic.  Once you get past the first 5 or 6 episodes of s1 the overall story telling quality and acting goes from good to great and it never looks back.  I don't think you should skip any episodes tbh.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

I guess this belongs here?  So, the other day I'm watching "Hinterland" (Y Gwyll) -- which is great, btw, I highly recommend it, and I see an actress I swear is the woman who played Alice Carter in CoE.  Alice was played by Lucy Cohu.  Well, this is Beth Robert but they could be sisters.  

ETA:  Before anyone protests they look nothing alike -- let me add that I'm terrible at comparing faces and, it's been a while since I saw CoE and I have spent the past 5.5 years actively trying to erase any vestige from my mind.  

Edited by Captanne

http://whatculture.com/tv/torchwood-4-things-miracle-day-got-wrong-and-4-things-it-got-right.php

This is a new article about Miracle Day. 4 Things it got right and 4 Things it got wrong

Can someone please read this and let me know if they notice a difference between what's "Right and Wrong" ?

Cause honestly i'm struggling to tell the difference. And i don't know if it's my own bias towards MD or not, but it seem like the article should have been 4 Things MD got wrong and 4 Things MD also got wrong LOL

Okay.  Um.  I looked at the list before reading the text (which, honestly is really guilty of TL;DR Syndrome without an excuse.  They should know better.)  I agree heartily that Jilly Kitzinger was the best thing in the series.  But when I got to #1 -- "Good Writers" I had to stop.  Are you SHITTING ME?  One of the writers who came from a highly successful sci fi series COULDN'T EVEN BE FUCKING BOTHERED TO GET THE TIME LINE RIGHT ON A GOD DAMNED TIME TRAVEL SHOW.  Fuck me.  What's her name?  Epson?  Jesus Christ.

No sympathy for this stupid article.

Mousey, don't waste your time or brain cells with it.

Edited by Captanne