Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Blood Memory

Trini
  • Start Topic

I hate this "we have to hide Supergirl's Kara identity" so, so much because it's stupid and unnecessary. Supergirl is her real identity, there's no reason to learn who she hides as if she even does, and she doesn't have to work for the DEO. I used to think that Arrow had the worst stupid-for-plot storylines but this beats out even them.

I thought the conflict between Nia and her sister was well done.  Maeve has been planning and studying all her life to be the dreamer, and it's suddenly and irrevocable snatched away from her. Nia didn't want to hurt her sister but she ended up hurting her even more than if she had told her earlier.

When Lena called James over and he realized that it was to practice for Games Night, I suddenly realized that Lena is me. I hate to lose at those things too, bring on the practice! But Lena thinking that if she gives people superpowers they will be nice to each other is terribly wrong. It's the people with powers who are often mean. (I just read a study done in California about which drivers don't stop for pedestrians: people with cheap cars always stop, people with really expensive cars stop only 50% of the time.) I know they want to make Lena a sketchy Luthor but can they please not make her stupid in doing so

On 2/4/2019 at 1:01 AM, Cranberry said:

Eh, I just figured that dreaming powers are mental powers, and Nia's brain has always been female.

I'll buy it in a show where Red Supergirl can affect pills on the other side of the globe. But that's not how it works in real life.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I know they want to make Lena a sketchy Luthor but can they please not make her stupid in doing so

She is being reduced to simpering girlfriend mode there to back up poor James etc. I hate what they have done to her this year, they are barley focused on her science work. 

Edited by rtms77
1 minute ago, rtms77 said:

I hate what they have done to her this year, they are barley focused on her science work. 

I hate it too but I think it's the science work that is making her stupid.  On a comic book show the science should either go completely over-the-top or stick to following what is real in terms of interactions. With these experiments, it's like she either forgot or never really knew how people work.

Also, isn't it time Lena figures out that Kara is Supergirl? Since she's supposed to be smart and all?

• Love 1

I hate this "we have to hide Supergirl's Kara identity" so, so much because it's stupid and unnecessary. Supergirl is her real identity, there's no reason to learn who she hides as if she even does, and she doesn't have to work for the DEO. I used to think that Arrow had the worst stupid-for-plot storylines but this beats out even them.

The whole hide your identity from Hayley is stupid anyways, cause Hayley's position falls flat. She, before being mind-wiped, threatened Supergirl's friends. Um, yeah, that threat may work, if her friends were average Joes. But they aren't:

1) Brainiac: belongs to the Legion of Superheories, has super-powered ring, which can bend the laws of physics;

2) John - a shape-shifting psychic alien, who supposed to be stronger than Superman (according to comics and animation works)

3) Alex - director of DEO, has martial arts and weapons training

4) Jimmy Olsen - vigillante known as Guardian, who everyone knows his true identity (and, mind you, nothing happened to his friends, just him)

5) Lena Luthor - seriously, should I even begin?

6) Nia Nial - can dream the future before it happens (in episode 8 avoided a bullet going straight to her head)

The only one, who could be in danger, is Eliza. But even then Kara could just light-speed her way in order to save her.

I know they want to make Lena a sketchy Luthor but can they please not make her stupid in doing so 

What's funny, is that Lena put two and two together with Sam being Reign, while Reign wore a mask and had a voice-change. But cannot put two and two together when Kara is not even masking herself? I mean, I could buy that people do not look in to Supergirl's face, due to being in awe of being saved by the super-hero, but those who actually have convos with Supergirl does not see that she is Kara? Wow. That's actually funny. Also, I don't know whether is it true or not, but they will make Lena evil in some point, that's why Kara can "disclose" her secret identity to a person, who she beraly knows (like Nia), instead of her "BFF".

Also, I think they will use this topic of Lena giving out superpowers to random people as a way to alienate her from Kara/Supergirl. Kinda like they did with Lex in Smallville (when Clark lied about the obvious, then was mad, cause Lex wanted to investigate the obvious).

The brains of trans women are closer to the brains of cis women than cis men

Hey, that's sexist! Or whatevernist.

Edited by Rushmoras
2 hours ago, Rushmoras said:

The whole hide your identity from Hayley is stupid anyways, cause Hayley's position falls flat. She, before being mind-wiped, threatened Supergirl's friends. Um, yeah, that threat may work, if her friends were average Joes. But they aren't:

1) Brainiac: belongs to the Legion of Superheories, has super-powered ring, which can bend the laws of physics;

2) John - a shape-shifting psychic alien, who supposed to be stronger than Superman (according to comics and animation works)

3) Alex - director of DEO, has martial arts and weapons training

4) Jimmy Olsen - vigillante known as Guardian, who everyone knows his true identity (and, mind you, nothing happened to his friends, just him)

5) Lena Luthor - seriously, should I even begin?

6) Nia Nial - can dream the future before it happens (in episode 8 avoided a bullet going straight to her head)

The only one, who could be in danger, is Eliza. But even then Kara could just light-speed her way in order to save her.

None of which even remotely matters, because there are simply too many people who would be itching to take revenge on Supergirl through her loved ones or through the general population of National City, for that matter, if her secret identity became public, and not even she can be everywhere at once to protect all of them.  Why do you think Superman still keeps his secret identity under wraps?  Lois isn't the only one who'd have an automatic target on her back, yet she can also defend herself quite well in a clutch. Ditto with Barry Allen and his friends and family; it's why he specifically told Iris not to reveal his identity when she was forced to testify at his trial, even though it would probably have gotten him acquitted. And Arrow has already proven that even someone as tech-savvy and capable of self-defense as Felicity can easily be a target for someone who wants to take revenge on Oliver.

No, Kara is right. Secret identities exist for a reason, and she has every reason and right to refuse to divulge hers.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

None of which even remotely matters, because there are simply too many people who would be itching to take revenge on Supergirl through her loved ones or through the general population of National City, for that matter, if her secret identity became public, and not even she can be everywhere at once to protect all of them.  Why do you think Superman still keeps his secret identity under wraps?  Lois isn't the only one who'd have an automatic target on her back, yet she can also defend herself quite well in a clutch. Ditto with Barry Allen and his friends and family; it's why he specifically told Iris not to reveal his identity when she was forced to testify at his trial, even though it would probably have gotten him acquitted. And Arrow has already proven that even someone as tech-savvy and capable of self-defense as Felicity can easily be a target for someone who wants to take revenge on Oliver.

No, Kara is right. Secret identities exist for a reason, and she has every reason and right to refuse to divulge hers.

No, actually, it does matter when we are talking about people, who can take care off themselves quite easily, versus run in the mill average Joes, who cannot do that. The majority of Kara's associates are either super-heroes or people you do not want to mess with, minus Winn (but I bet in Season Five he will return with some weird powers. I can almost guarantee it). So, essentially, even, if the baddies will want to go after them, this is moot, because the baddies do go after them even without having the information that they are Supergirl's friends/family. So, this is a no issue. Plus, look at Jimmy. He publicly declared himself as Guardian. So far, only he landed in to trouble (no one targeted Kara, Winn or Lena (and especially Lena. Why? Cause it would be suicide to go up against a Luthor. Doesn't matter that that Luthor is not Lex). Would it pose some sort of trouble, if everyone knew her identity? Sure, but I doubt it would be anything more than these people are already used to. This is simply not that kind of show were the stakes are high (because you know that Kara/Supergirl will always save the day. Because in the end-of-the-day, whether the producers intended to or not, this series is family friendly-esque).

And, I bet, Oliver and Barry told everyone to keep their secret, cause they are not "Gods Among Humans". I mean, Oliver is just discount Batman and Barry, well, he can run very fast. 

P.S. This was already stated in many convos in this forum. All Kara/Supergirl needs to do is simply state "I'm Kara Zor-El from the House of El. That's my real name". Vuola, case closed. No one will put two and two together that Kara Danvers and Kara Zor-El/Supergirl is one and the same person (unless, some stupid plot point demands this for the sake of fake drama).

Edited by Rushmoras
On 2/11/2019 at 11:51 AM, Rushmoras said:

No, actually, it does matter when we are talking about people, who can take care off themselves quite easily, versus run in the mill average Joes, who cannot do that. The majority of Kara's associates are either super-heroes or people you do not want to mess with, minus Winn (but I bet in Season Five he will return with some weird powers. I can almost guarantee it). So, essentially, even, if the baddies will want to go after them, this is moot, because the baddies do go after them even without having the information that they are Supergirl's friends/family. So, this is a no issue. Plus, look at Jimmy. He publicly declared himself as Guardian. So far, only he landed in to trouble (no one targeted Kara, Winn or Lena (and especially Lena. Why? Cause it would be suicide to go up against a Luthor. Doesn't matter that that Luthor is not Lex). Would it pose some sort of trouble, if everyone knew her identity? Sure, but I doubt it would be anything more than these people are already used to. This is simply not that kind of show were the stakes are high (because you know that Kara/Supergirl will always save the day. Because in the end-of-the-day, whether the producers intended to or not, this series is family friendly-esque).

And, I bet, Oliver and Barry told everyone to keep their secret, cause they are not "Gods Among Humans". I mean, Oliver is just discount Batman and Barry, well, he can run very fast. 

P.S. This was already stated in many convos in this forum. All Kara/Supergirl needs to do is simply state "I'm Kara Zor-El from the House of El. That's my real name". Vuola, case closed. No one will put two and two together that Kara Danvers and Kara Zor-El/Supergirl is one and the same person (unless, some stupid plot point demands this for the sake of fake drama).

The thing is, many of Supergirl's enemies are in her weight class. As much as Alex, Jimmy, Brainy and so on can take care of themselves against an average person on a good day, they would have little to no chance against a Reign or someone with powers on that level who knew how to target them because they were Supergirl's friends/virtual family.

Heck, there was that episode where rando-person from Midvale used his knowledge of Supergirl's secret to abduct Alex, and he didn't really have any special knowledge or resources. It's pretty self-explanatory that people who are more organized or powerful could do the same thing.

In terms of pretending that she doesn't have a life beyond being Kara Zor-El, unfortunately SG has already failed to close that barn door. If she had initially said that, it might have worked. But by taking the position that she would not reveal her secret identity because it would risk the lives of those close to her, she has acknowledged that she indeed has a secret identity beyond Kara Zor-El of Krypton.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

The thing is, many of Supergirl's enemies are in her weight class. As much as Alex, Jimmy, Brainy and so on can take care of themselves against an average person on a good day, they would have little to no chance against a Reign or someone with powers on that level who knew how to target them because they were Supergirl's friends/virtual family. 

Heck, there was that episode where rando-person from Midvale used his knowledge of Supergirl's secret to abduct Alex, and he didn't really have any special knowledge or resources. It's pretty self-explanatory that people who are more organized or powerful could do the same thing.

In terms of pretending that she doesn't have a life beyond being Kara Zor-El, unfortunately SG has already failed to close that barn door. If she had initially said that, it might have worked. But by taking the position that she would not reveal her secret identity because it would risk the lives of those close to her, she has acknowledged that she indeed has a secret identity beyond Kara Zor-El of Krypton.

Yes, but:

In S1 was Non and Astra. Can't really remember whether Non or his Kryptonian allies had any altercations with Kara's friends, but Astra went behind Non's back and cut a deal with DEO (well, Alex primarily). In S2, while Alex was indeed kidnapped by their mutual childhood acquaintance, I attribute it to the creating a stronger drama story and some tension between Kara and Maggie. Cause this was a one-off occasion. In this season Queen Rea of Daxam did not give a dam about Supergirls friends, other than wanting to marry Lena off to Mon-El.  S3. Reign, tried to do something, but Kara's hope speeches or what not stopped her from seriously injuring Alex or any main characters. Actually, the only one who was seriously injured by Reign (and I mind you - it was only once to create artificial tension for the viewers "Eh, gats! Will our heroine perish for real?") was Kara herself. S4. So far, there are no Kara's tier enemies. All of them are human, cause evil Kasnian Supergirl is chilling in a comma or something, in Siberia. And the reason why Kara "can't save her friends", cause her powers are seriously neutered and increase when the plot convenience demands this.

But that's your opinion, and I'll leave it at that. Judging from the likes you both got, I'd say that I'm in minority with this. And to this I say - meh.

Edited by Rushmoras
10 hours ago, Rushmoras said:

Yes, but:

In S1 was Non and Astra. Can't really remember whether Non or his Kryptonian allies had any altercations with Kara's friends, but Astra went behind Non's back and cut a deal with DEO (well, Alex primarily). In S2, while Alex was indeed kidnapped by their mutual childhood acquaintance, I attribute it to the creating a stronger drama story and some tension between Kara and Maggie. Cause this was a one-off occasion. In this season Queen Rea of Daxam did not give a dam about Supergirls friends, other than wanting to marry Lena off to Mon-El.  S3. Reign, tried to do something, but Kara's hope speeches or what not stopped her from seriously injuring Alex or any main characters. Actually, the only one who was seriously injured by Reign (and I mind you - it was only once to create artificial tension for the viewers "Eh, gats! Will our heroine perish for real?") was Kara herself. S4. So far, there are no Kara's tier enemies. All of them are human, cause evil Kasnian Supergirl is chilling in a comma or something, in Siberia. And the reason why Kara "can't save her friends", cause her powers are seriously neutered and increase when the plot convenience demands this.

But that's your opinion, and I'll leave it at that. Judging from the likes you both got, I'd say that I'm in minority with this. And to this I say - meh.

IMO the reason none of these superpowered villains ever went after Supergirl’s friends/family was because of plot. So in a sense I agree with you. If people knew Supergirl’s identity it would only have a minor affect on the characters as the plot needs it. Or the season’s Big Bad would kidnap Alex for maximum drama.