Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual AFI Tribute Topic - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Love or hate her politics, she's always been an acting force to be reckoned with.  TNT will air the AFI's tribute, granting a Lifetime Achievement Award to Jane Fonda, on Saturday, June 14 at 9/8c.  According to a (badly worded) email message from AFI:

Watch Fonda's family, friends and collaborators celebrate the actress, her acclaimed work and also share their own personal stories of the Hollywood legend. Look for appearances by Sandra Bullock, Cameron Diaz, Sally Field, Peter Fonda, Troy Garity, Eva Longoria, Meryl Streep and Lily Tomlin. Wanda Sykes appears in costume as Barbarella from the 1968 film by the same name and Jeff Daniels performs a comedic song he originally composed in the actress' honor titled "Abs, Buns and Thighs."

I'm in!

It was a roller coaster of emotion.

I'll bet.  Anyone over 50 would well remember how controversial she was during the Vietnam-war era (and I would imagine that even today, there are many who will probably never forgive her for what she did).

Still, she was and still is one hell of an actress.  It's definitely in the genes.

(edited)

The 2015 AFI recipient is Steve Martin.  Photos from the June 4 event here.  The broadcast is tomorrow night, Saturday, June 13, at 10 E/P on TBS (probably 9 C, but check your listings).

I'll ask the moderators to change this thread title to a more generic AFI thread.

ETA:  Thanks, mods, for the quick response!!

Edited by Inquisitionist

Well, that was nicely done, with a few genuine LOL  moments.  Tina Fey's remark about Steve's wife didn't get much of a laugh untl the camera cut to Anne Stringfield.  Awkward but funny, because it's true

It was touching to hear people talk about what an authentically nice person Steve is.  I'm gonna have to rewatch some of his movies and finally watch Planes, Trains and Automobiles for the first time.

Tina Fey's remark about Steve's wife didn't get much of a laugh untl the camera cut to Anne Stringfield.  Awkward but funny, because it's true.

I thought that when they first cut to his wife even before Tina Fey came out, I was like wow she has a Tina Fey vibe going on.

What as with Queen Latifah trying to sing "Tonight, You Belong to Me," that was just cringeworthy.  If anything they should have just played that clip of Bernadette and Steve, or hell asked her to come and serenade Steve, and yes I am aware of their dating history.

Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Martin Short, and of course Steve Martin stole the show.  

I was surprised that Chevy Chase wasn't there, so I guess he really is persona non grata at all these events due to his past behaviors.

I loved the Diane Keaton "blow job" story told by Steve involving him, Diane, and Marty Short.  It was great, as was Marty's "Steve turing tricks at Disneyland."

I was also surprised that they didn't show clips from "Leap of Faith" nor from Steve accepting his honorary Oscar.

Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Martin Short, and of course Steve Martin stole the show.

Yep, they really know how to craft a joke and deliver it for maximum impact.  I enjoyed Steve Carell's and Mel Brooks's bits, too.  The filmed snippets with Tom Hanks, Meryl Streep, Ron Howard, and Carl Reiner were very nice -- you can tell how much they respect Steve as an actor and writer.

TCM is running the AFI tribute to Steve Martin again tomorrow, July 30.  From an email I received this morning:

So remember to tune into TCM tomorrow, Thursday, July 30 at 8:00 p.m. ET/5:00 p.m. PT (and again at 11:30 p.m. ET/8:30 p.m. PT) — or set your DVRs — for a very funny and memorable show.

Just received an email message from AFI saying that they're honoring Diane Keaton this year. 

The American Film Institute Board of Trustees announced today that legendary actress Diane Keaton will be the recipient of the 45th AFI Life Achievement Award, the highest honor for a career in film. The award will be presented to Keaton at a Gala Tribute on June 8, 2017, in Los Angeles, CA. The AFI Life Achievement Award Tribute special will return for its fifth year with Turner Broadcasting to air on TNT, followed by encore presentations on sister network Turner Classic Movies (TCM).

The message did not mention a broadcast date.  The AFI honored John Williams this year.  I still have the broadcast on my DVR, unwatched as of now...

Did anyone catch the AFI tribute to Diane Keaton, which aired on TNT this past Thursday?  It will be repeated on TBS on July 31.  I always find it fun to watch these programs, even though I puzzle over some of the honorees.  I have to assume Gene Hackman has said "no, thanks."  In the early years, directors were about as likely to be honored as actors.  In the past 20 years, the AFi has honored only 4 non-actors.  How about throwing cinematography or set/costume design a bone?  ;-)

It is so nice to see a woman so beloved and who has achieved so much AND who also has never been defined by who (whom?) she was dating. And has aged naturally! They showed a shot of Meg Ryan and yikes! 

Ms. Fonda-not the time and place. I know Woody Allen is very polarizing, but he does know how to write for women. And how to tell a political joke.

Lisa Kudrow nailed it with her Keaton impression!

Edited by chitowngirl

AFI is honoring George Clooney this year. 

TNT will premiere the special, THE 46TH AFI LIFE ACHIEVEMENT AWARD: A TRIBUTE TO GEORGE CLOONEY on Thursday, June 21, at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT, followed by an encore at 11:30 p.m. ET/PT. Sister network Turner Classic Movies (TCM) will also air the special in September 2018 during a night of programming dedicated to Clooney's work.

On 9/24/2019 at 8:05 PM, Inquisitionist said:

AFI will honor Dame Julie Andrews with its Lifetime Achievement Award on April 25, 2020.  The tribute will premiere on TNT, Thursday, May 7 at 10pm ET/PT.  Should be fun!

It appears this was postponed due to Covid.  The event finally took place on June 9 and will be televised on TNT this Thursday, June 16.

The 5 surviving "Von Trapp" children from the movie The Sound of Music led a singalong of "Do Re Mi." ❤️

Charmain Carr (Leisl) and Heather Menzies (Louisa) are both deceased😢 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

So happy Dame Julie finally is getting recognized after the pandemic fucked everything up.

The Sound of Music kids leading the singalong is already my favorite part. But the look on her face when the Mary Poppins impersonator came down on the umbrella was priceless.

I’m sad that Christopher Plummer, Charmain, and Heather couldn’t be alive to be there.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 1