Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E04: Week 4 - Singapore

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Caelyn's story was horrifying, especially knowing someone left while it was going on and apparently did nothing.  That said, it feels so exploitative to tell this story and then be essentially begging for a rose on a show in which one man dates, kisses, possibly sleeps with multiple women.  

• Love 10
22 hours ago, telemachus2 said:

If you like police states with public canings for such civil infractions, Singapore is the spot.

That's not how caning in Singapore works. It is neither public, nor is it the punishment for civil infractions. Caning is for "hostage-taking/kidnapping, robbery, gang robbery with murder, rioting, causing grievous hurt, drug abuse, vandalism, extortion, sexual abuse, molest[ation], and unlawful possession of weapons...rape, drug trafficking, illegal moneylending." The punishments for civil infractions are laid out here in a "Environment Public Health Act," in case anyone wants to learn actual facts.

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, sasha206 said:

Caelyn's story was horrifying, especially knowing someone left while it was going on and apparently did nothing.  That said, it feels so exploitative to tell this story and then be essentially begging for a rose on a show in which one man dates, kisses, possibly sleeps with multiple women.  

I agree, and the way it was shoehorned in felt completely inorganic. The first half of their date was as superficial as a date can get, and on the second half she did a 180 and divulged a major trauma, but then immediately had to reassure him that she felt completely safe around him, because she couldn't very well say otherwise to the man from whom she wants to receive a rose. If the assault was part of her platform in the beauty pageant, TPTB must have known about it and pressured her to "open up".

On a lighter note, I don't like either Demi or Courtney, but "is this even up to code?" was hilarious. If Courtney had been a little smarter, she would have stayed out of the drama and kept providing funny soundbites. She had no chance of winning either way, but that way she'd have gotten a sympathetic edit and an express ticket to Paradise.

I think Tayshia is great, but I would have liked her even more if she'd been the voice of reason and refused to bungee-jump. I don't understand why the show still does the "leap of faith" dates. The simile to marriage/commitment is more than played out, and it's not entertaining to watch people nearly kill themselves. I'm sure there are many things to do in Singapore that are much more interesting.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 10
On 1/28/2019 at 11:09 PM, Lemons said:

I don’t understand caelyns story.  She woke up naked the next day with no memory of the night before.  Then a friend told her and her two friends that she had been sexually assaulted.  How did the friend know? She also said her friend told that she was passed out on the couch earlier and guys were taking pictures, etc.  Why didn’t she stop them?

This was the craziest part of the story to me. Her sober friend was there and SAW these guys sexually assaulting them and/or taking photos of them passed out? Are they still friends? Shouldn't this girl have stopped the guys or gotten her friends home safely? Really odd detail that was glossed over.

Courtney was at fault here... he's not going to come to you when he has a rotation of girls approaching him all night. And then, when she finally got up off her ass and could have gone to find him, she goes to confront Demi instead and waste even more time. No sympathy there. I thought Demi remained pretty composed considering how Courtney acted towards her. To be fair, Demi has never started fights with any of the other girls herself, she's only fought back when other girls had an issue first.

Also, Colton is so obviously a kid. Stop getting caught up in girl drama. Nick and Arie were so refreshing in their approach to the women's drama, which was basically, like- settle it. Colton is actually taking these petty spats to heart and it's ridiculous. And STOP telling the girls word for word what the other girls just said about them! Did Courtney really need to hear, verbatim, that Demi called her the cancer of the house?! No.

I've been bungee jumping twice (once at the Nevis in NZ with the same company they jumped with, AJ Hackett- heyy!) and give major props to Tayshia for keeping it together so well and actually showing enthusiasm. It was a nice change of pace from the bachelors having to practically force their intended date who is in tears to take part in an extreme activity. 

On 1/29/2019 at 5:46 AM, telemachus2 said:

If you like police states with public canings for such civil infractions, Singapore is the spot.

Don't forget the death penalty for drug possession!

• Love 3
14 hours ago, sasha206 said:

I find it hard to believe a hospital turned her down for a Rape Kit. You can do one 72 hours after the rape.

There must be more to the story

4 hours ago, jade.black said:

This was the craziest part of the story to me. Her sober friend was there and SAW these guys sexually assaulting them and/or taking photos of them passed out? Are they still friends? Shouldn't this girl have stopped the guys or gotten her friends home safely? Really odd detail that was glossed over.

YES!!!!!!!

Call the Freakin Cops!

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

He also listened to her with tears in his eyes and gave her a hug. They are live on TV and as the lead he is required to keep the conversation going. I think he was understanding and kind and talked about himself so she would understand that he would not think less of her and cared about her. I think he handled it as well as anyone could on a show like this.

Colton is boring as fuck, but he’s a good guy.  This is the first season ever I hope for the best for the lead.  

• Love 9
3 hours ago, booboopbedoo said:

I find it hard to believe a hospital turned her down for a Rape Kit. You can do one 72 hours after the rape.

There must be more to the story

YES!!!!!!!

Call the Freakin Cops!

From reading up on Caelyn’s case it sounds like she went to a hospital before going to the police to file a report. The hospital told her she needed to file a police report first. She then went and did that and was either taken to the second hospital or she took the report to a second hospital who then did the rape kit. I understand the need to do things as part of a certain protocol and even that a police report may be necessary to conduct a rape kit.. but it doesn’t make sense that the hospital couldn’t or didn’t walk her through that. Suffering a sexual assault is traumatizing and most women wouldn’t know what or how to even begin to deal with it. The first hospital should have been better trained to help walk her through what to do. Maybe get the police down there to file a report on the spot and then conduct the exam and collect evidence.  I mean what the heck would they do if she was brought in an ambulance after suffering a violent attack? Not conduct a rape kit until the police signed off? Valuable evidence could be lost by waiting or trudging through red tape.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, jade.black said:

Also, Colton is so obviously a kid. Stop getting caught up in girl drama. Nick and Arie were so refreshing in their approach to the women's drama, which was basically, like- settle it. Colton is actually taking these petty spats to heart and it's ridiculous. And STOP telling the girls word for word what the other girls just said about them! Did Courtney really need to hear, verbatim, that Demi called her the cancer of the house?! No.

Yes,. this is the second little dispute he's been entangled in.  He needs to shut it down.   Girl 1 says "girl 2  a lying, manipulative bitch", and he asks girl 2 "Are you a lying manipulative bitch?  NO?  But she said you were!  Oh, you say  Girl 1 is a two-faced  whore?  I will have to ask her if that's true.  I just don't know who to believe!"

Stop it Colton!  Just tell them you aren't interested in their opinions of each other.  Period.  

Edited by tinkerbell
  • Love 15
22 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

Demi looks like she could be the evil twin of Erin Bates.

Oh my gosh, yes! And Cayelynn has such a Duggar girl mashup going on.

He definitely has the most physical chemistry and ease with Cassie. They way they were sitting with their legs casually intertwined and his hand on her hip while they were joking around and snorting about the fortune teller was so real and “relationshippy” to me. I think he has something similar with Hannah G, but I haven’t yet seen them have any normal conversation that isn’t about “the journey” or how comfortable each makes the other feel. I think they’re physically into each other (hello, bedroom scene) but are almost having to talk each other into the feelings part. 

Edited by Bethanne
  • Love 3
On 1/30/2019 at 12:55 AM, sasha206 said:

I kept thinking about all the alcohol that is supplied to the cast. Previous cast members have talked about not having access to a lot of food while they were drinking. I was left wondering how many cast members have looked back on their time on the show and regretted any actions. Naturally I don't believe anyone was assaulted or that their drinks were drugged, but it's still not a very healthy environment. This is a show that encourages women to physically and mentally compete with other women for the physical attention of a man. When Caelynn told him that she felt "safe" with him, I couldn't help but think about the 15 cast members and camera crew that were usually with them. 

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 3
On 1/29/2019 at 8:29 AM, JudyObscure said:

Warning cattiness.

I don't know about Caelyn's story being part of her "platform," because I'm not sure if the Miss USA contest requires women to have platforms, I know they don't have talents. Both are required for the Miss America pageant but not for Miss USA.   I think of one contest for college girls and another one for Hooters girls.

I do see that her assault story, as well as her "almost died as a child" story are both part of the bio on her pageant page:

Miss NC, USA

As you can tell by her bio page, the  Miss USA pageant is all about how one looks from the neck down, which explains how far she went with a boneless nose and close set eyes.

Sorry, I'm jealous on behalf of all the girls who got bungee jumps and leeches, while she got piles of dresses, shoes and accessories when her local pageant sponsors probably already paid for more evening gowns that most of us have in a lifetime.

When she was thanking Colton for all the clothes, all I could think of was, "Do you REALLY think that HE is buying these things for you? Or organizing these dates? Or paying for them?" I know that the men in the past have said that they planned all the dates, but I have always side eyed that. 

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

Speaking g of all the dresses caelyn got, am I the only one who saw one of the women who seemed to be wearing the green "J-Lo" dress at the rose ceremony? 

Heather wore a green dress with a plunging neckline, but it was not the J-Lo dress.  Did anyone notice Demi and Heather holding hands?  It was shown when Sydney was walking back from receiving her rose.