Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E16: Au Revoir!

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

39 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

I agree with Supersuperelevated - the primary was just soooo over-dramatic with everything - I don't know if that is how she acts in real life (God help her family if she does), but it did appear that she was playing up the brattiness/drama for the cameras, or on the hope that since she brought so much bad personal behavior, she would be asked to be a primary again in another season.  

I have actually said something similar to Josiah's audition comment in real life - when I see someone - usually a teenage girl - being completely over-dramatic over something trivial - it's like looking over your shoulder to see if there is a camera - "My God - what is she auditioning for?"  

Yes, lol.  One of my heroes, Judge Judy (don't judge, lol) will often say to an overly-emoting litigant, "this isn't an audition, I've already got the job".  Cracks me up every time.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

Those horrible, frou-frou women would have had kittens if they had had a big ugly sea slug in the middle of their dinner table. These are some of my least favorite kind of people: there is drama to be found in everything, and nothing ever lives up to expectations. Can you imagine the hysteria over a giant sea slug? Btw, I hope that hideous primary gets the life she deserves. Ross, I’ve lost all respect for you. No wonder you’re embarrassed Rylie posted those pictures of you together. If you’re ashamed of your girlfriend, that should tell you something.

As for Tyler, there is nothing less sexy than a man who can’t handle his booze. Then he had the nerve to ask Rhylie for another random hook-up if they ever bump into each other again. Such class.

Turns out Adrian isn’t a unicorn; he’s just a plain old horse with a horn taped to his head. What a dumb idea for the final night, and it wasn’t at all his job, anyway. Also, Mr. Whiny, you would have had plenty of time to prepare dinner if you hadn’t been so busy tormenting local sea life. I didn’t see a cake for that party, either. Finding the ugliest coral and sea animal took priority. He heard the term passive-aggressive somewhere and only has a vague concept of what it might mean. Adrian, passive-aggressive is not when a co-worker tries to have a mature, adult conversation with you. Passive-aggressive is more like walking off during that conversation, so that you know the other person has been effectively cut off by you. 

This is the first year that I have unequivocally liked Kate. She put up with a lot, and only lost her cool once (and made a fool out of herself playing music outside Carolyn’s door, but I guess everyone has their breaking point). I loved her telling that worthless primary to go live her best life. She made this season worthwhile.

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind seeing this whole crew back next year. Even Rhylie if she can manage to calm down a little. Even Tyler. But definitely Josiah and Kate, and especially Captain Lee.

Edited by Blindfox
  • Love 23
7 minutes ago, Blindfox said:

I loved her telling that worthless primary to go live her best life. She made this season worthwhile.

and later in the episode the primary even said "I'm living my best life." And Kate smirked.

• Love 18
10 minutes ago, Blindfox said:

Those horrible, frou-frou women would have had kittens if they had had a big ugly sea slug in the middle of their dinner table. These are some of my least favorite kind of people: there is drama to be found in everything, and nothing ever lives up to expectations. Can you imagine the hysteria over a giant sea slug? Btw, I hope that hideous primary gets the life she deserves. Ross, I’ve lost all respect for you. No wonder you’re embarrassed Rylie posted those pictures of you together. If you’re ashamed of your girlfriend, that should tell you something.

As for Tyler, there is nothing less sexy than a man who can’t handle his booze. Then he had the nerve to ask Rhylie for another random hook-up if they ever bump into each other again. Such class.

Turns out Adrian isn’t a unicorn; he’s just a plain old horse with a horn taped to his head. What a dumb idea for the final night, and it wasn’t at all his job, anyway. Also, Mr. Whiny, you would have had plenty of time to prepare dinner if you hadn’t been so busy tormenting local sea life. I didn’t see a cake for that party, either. Finding the ugliest coral and sea animal took priority. He heard the term passive-aggressive somewhere and only has a vague concept of what it might mean. Adrian, passive-aggressive is not when a co-worker tries to have a mature, adult conversation with you. Passive-aggressive is more like walking off during that conversation, so that you know the other person has been effectively cut off by you. 

This is the first year that I have unequivocally liked Kate. She put up with a lot, and only lost her cool once (and made a fool out of herself playing music outside Carolyn’s door, but I guess everyone has their breaking point). I loved her telling that worthless primary to go live her best life. She made this season worthwhile.

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind seeing this whole crew back next year. Even Rhylie if she can manage to calm down a little. Even Tyler. But definitely Josiah and Kate, and especially Captain Lee.

I am bowing down.

And seconding your first paragraph.

• Love 9
59 minutes ago, Blindfox said:

So you're saying people thought he was a unicorn, but it turned out he was just a horny old horse?

• Love 12

Tyler was such  a romantic when he told Rhylee that he'd be up for 'knockin' boots' if they meet up again. Damn. Snap that one up ladies! *eye roll*

I guess Ross and his baby mama didn't work out. Instead he went and got himself a repulsively annoying spoiled sugar mama. Enjoy the bipolar rollercoaster, Ross. 

I laughed at whomever asked if Zen Adrien stole Johnny Depp's coat. I thought it looked like something Steven Tyler would have worn in the 70's. 

Poor sea slug. I hate anyone who uses animals as decor, or as an accessory. 

I would enjoy seeing Josiah and Kate together again. It is refreshing to see two people get along and work well together. 

• Love 19
3 hours ago, dangwoodchucks said:

Y’all need to stop picking on that poor sea slug for his looks. He’s doing the best he can.

I love you for this.  The rest of my office is no doubt wondering why I just busted out laughing.

Edited by TexasGal
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Blindfox said:

As for Tyler, there is nothing less sexy than a man who can’t handle his booze

LoL! Finally Someone said what I wanted to post! Mr. Expert drinker with his instructions "a drink, have a water; a shot, have a water. If I forget, I hope one of you reminds me." Suuuuure, Tyler. As Rhylee said later "not my problem." Glad Tyler showed his ass. Many of us have had those blackout nights I'm sure but that was GREAT & all on camera after showing himself to be a big douche.

As for the guests: Yes. I know someone like that. Nothing is ever good enough. They're a pretender & a half. The worst part is that these folks suck the joy out of their own lives and punish themselves by these dramatics. When you live simply, you find how little you actually need to have fun, joy, good times. You should be as thankful and appreciative to a waitress at the waffle house as you are to a yacht stew & vice versa.

Agreed with your entire post. 

• Love 12
5 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I think they were probably alluding to the fact that she was on camera, and knew it.

Yup. When she thought she was safely ensconced in her private room (or was just too drunk to care), a very nasty side came out. You could tell she was TRYING to appear benevolent and kind otherwise. (Didn't always work, though.)

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Batwings said:

I was surprised to see during the jet ski/sea slug kidnapping scene that Adrian had a dad bod. It was well hidden under the chef coat all season. 

I wasn’t. He mentioned early in the season that he used to be overweight and lost it so it’s the body I was expecting.

I don’t think Adrien has ever stated he was a vegan or even a vegetarian.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, gingerella said:

^Well, if Ross's ex is comparing him to Scott Disic (dickhead of the decade), that says a lot^

To be fair she was comparing them as a couple to Scott and Kourtney which I assume means as hanging out and closely coparenting even though they have moved on to others.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, biakbiak said:

“I organized everything!!!!” = You wrote on your preference sheet that it was your Bday weekend and I told Kate what day to do it and have fireworks.

The pieces that Adrien brought back were all enormous and wouldn’t have worked as a centerpiece given the table set up where they did the dinner for these guests even if they weren’t ugly. I am assuming like the sea slug they were returned to the sea after they were not used.

Also, Captain Lee it’s not cool to use girls as a shaming insult for males. 

I didn't hear that - what was said?

39 minutes ago, gingerella said:

^Well, if Ross's ex is comparing him to Scott Disic (dickhead of the decade), that says a lot^

Like they used to say on "The Soup," Scott Disick (the S is silent).

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:
17 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Also, Captain Lee it’s not cool to use girls as a shaming insult for males. 

I didn't hear that - what was said?

The "deck crew guys" were lounging around on deck and the captain said something like (I'm too lazy to look it up) "Hey girls, time to get to work." (Time to get ready to dock the ship)

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

didn't hear that - what was said?

When Ashton and Tyler were sitting around waiting for orders he said “if you girls would like to get off your asses I would like to pull the anchor and get out of here.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, dleighg said:

The "deck crew guys" were lounging around on deck and the captain said something like (I'm too lazy to look it up) "Hey girls, time to get to work." (Time to get ready to dock the ship)

2 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

When Ashton and Tyler were sitting around waiting for orders he said “if you girls would like to get off your asses I would like to pull the anchor and get out of here.

Thank you both.  I missed that.  UUUUUUGH gag.  That is so gross.

Kind of similar - I have two little boys and someone made a comment to them like - "you have to go to baseball practice or you will throw like a girl."  They did not understand.  I told them that if someone tells them they ________ like a girl, to say "nice! thank you!"

• Love 10
On 1/29/2019 at 7:37 PM, ghoulina said:

Adrian's sea slug idea was so stupid. I'm glad Kate nixed it. 

I'm glad Laura spoke up to him. I am not really here for his excuse about growing up in the Caribbean. You can be open about sex without making others feel uncomfortable. I don't really buy that he never picked up on her discomfort. Look at how she stormed off after he grossly offered a hug for an avocado. Either he's just THAT self involved or he doesn't care. Either way, he sucks.

YO ADRIAN! Got some news for you: The culture you're representing is "Back of the house perv who harasses female servers." It may happen in the Caribbean but you'll find your people in every skeevy entitled boss the world over. Oh -- and Laura did tell you knock it off. Multiple times.

• Love 12

The crew feeling good about themselves and each other and the captain believing how well the crew was working, compared to where they were earlier in the season, feels abrupt to me.

I'm not saying there wan't improvement and people taking down the arguments and volume level.

But now it's all lovey-dovey and captain says best crew ever?

Seems like they were reaching to go out on a high note.  Even Adrian's shenanigans at the end didn't seem severe and he quickly apologized to Laura, though maybe feigning ignorance that his remarks were severe #MeToo violations were less than sincere.

Lets see if they're feeling so good about each other on the reunion.

• Love 6

According to his Instagram profile, Adrian says he is into “#plantbased living.” From what I can tell, he dabbles pretty heavily in plant-based eating and promotes a lot of vegan dishes on his Instagram, but he’s not a vegan. If anything, he’s more of a flexitarian.

Either way, while I admire his creative and beautiful cooking, that stunt with the sea slug was horrible. His “namaste” ass needs to delve deeper into ahimsa. I loved Rebbeca Romijn on WWHL (paraphrase): “Has #metoo not made it to the Caribbean?” (As Jerry O’Connell stands behind her shoving his “meat” around and dubs him the “Harvey Weinstein of the My Seanna”)

ETA: Obviously Adrian isn’t on the level of Weinstein, but, if we are going to start comparing him to famous horrible men, then I’m dubbing him the Bikram of My Seanna.

Edited by MrsWitter
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

I backed it up twice and cc said $ 13,000 each. 

That was the amount they each earned during the season (well except for Laura and Tyler). Krystal gave $20k.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

Could someone clear up how much this Krystal person left ascavtip ? I backed it up twice and cc said $ 13,000 each. 

That couldn’t be right .  I dislike her even more than last week. 

IIRC, her tip was $20K.  The $13,000 I believe was the per-person tip income for the season, cumulatively.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, NannyBails said:

Question:  do charter employees get a base pay also or do they just work for tips?

I've always assumed that there is a flat rate paid for the charter work (over and above the tip), plus whatever Bravo pays them.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 4
On 1/29/2019 at 10:18 PM, PaperTree said:

Adrian creepy and clueless.  I totally dislike Laura, but she is absolutely right.  She should not be subjected to his juvenile hornyness, or whatever his problem is.

I can't stand Laura, and I agreed with Adrian, if Laura didn't like what Adrian was saying (which was pretty childish to me) she should have opened her mouth and said so.  I can't stand people who complain to everybody EXCEPT the person they're upset with.  I would have told Adrian to shut it the first time he opened his stupid mouth.

I watch the TV show "Married At First Sight" and this show is the reason this show doesn't get it right.  Human beings aren't robots.  At first, I couldn't stand Ashton, he came off like a slut, screwing every girl in sight; then he met Laura and seemed to do a 180 (I said SEEMED to).  Adrian started off okay, and then de-evolved to a fourteen year old boy.  Maybe being in NYC has taught him something.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2
On 1/29/2019 at 11:49 PM, langford peel said:

A short round disgusting slug is the centerpiece of a Bravo Reality show.

When did Joe Giudice get out of jail and what is he doing in Tahiti?

hey, stop insulting slugs ;-)

• Love 8

I wish Laura had spoken up more, but she did appear to leave the room when he did it, fall silent, or groan, common responses of younger women to unwanted attention.

Traditionally, "banter" involves both people's participation, but while he was throwing it at her, he either didn't notice or didn't care that she wasn't responding in kind.  

And the thing about "banter" in the workplace is that you can do it in earshot of the boss (maybe not purposely, but not career damaging if you do!)  And yet he always waited until they were alone as opposed to, say, when Kate might be around.  Because I suspect she would have been quick with a "watch it."  

He's a quirky dude, but there's a lot of passive aggressiveness there and a tendency to quickly pivot to an aggrieved "I guess they're not as SPIRITUAL as I am" take that... isn't very spiritual. Basically a spoiled kid with a great gift.  He might grow out of it given a combination of circumstances. 

On 1/30/2019 at 9:24 AM, ohcomeon said:

On to my favorite subject of Josiah... was this the first time we went out with the group? Because when he was first shown dressed I thought "damn,". And then his swagger (none drunk swagger) into the bar indicated he knows how hot he really is and made me start wondering how real his sense of insecurity really is. I could see him being a chief stew but not on a reality show. I'd love to be able to charter a boat and have him making me drinks and providing snarky commentary. 

There was something about the "confession" of his body insecurity that seemed simultaneously true (background story) and performative (sharing it as a plot point). Maybe he decided to just overcome it, show his body in the gold speedo and feel like he put it behind him. Or maybe it was a minor insecurity that he played up so viewers would find it endearing and blow him kisses for his bravery instead of ragging on his body on the internet. Seemed like somebody with a genuine enough complex to "confess" wouldn't put the speedo on, guest request or not.  I know it's "anything for the tip" but you have an actual stripper on board and Josiah could have plead his religion or done a joke costume or something the guests would have accepted.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, kassa said:

I wish Laura had spoken up more, but she did appear to leave the room when he did it, fall silent, or groan, common responses of younger women to unwanted attention.

Traditionally, "banter" involves both people's participation, but while he was throwing it at her, he either didn't notice or didn't care that she wasn't responding in kind.  

And the thing about "banter" in the workplace is that you can do it in earshot of the boss (maybe not purposely, but not career damaging if you do!)  And yet he always waited until they were alone as opposed to, say, when Kate might be around.  Because I suspect she would have been quick with a "watch it."  

He's a quirky dude, but there's a lot of passive aggressiveness there and a tendency to quickly pivot to an aggrieved "I guess they're not as SPIRITUAL as I am" take that... isn't very spiritual. Basically a spoiled kid with a great gift.  He might grow out of it given a combination of circumstances. 

There are people in and out of the galley, but he somehow managed to never say anything sexually inappropriate when anyone else was present. That's almost impossible to do by accident. In hindsight, it's pretty obvious that there is some intentionality. And it's not like when they all went out some of the other guys  weren't kind of gross too: drunk, drunken making out, drunken grinding on randos, drunkenly banging Vahine in the vagine in the van. Had Adrian acted like the other guys when they were out, I don't think it would have been as issue. But instead he acts like he's this more evolved person and when he's alone with Laura he's just as if not more gross than any of them. In fact him keeping his sexual side largely hidden and confined to puerile comments, tells me he's far less evolved and mature than he thinks he is.

4 hours ago, kassa said:

There was something about the "confession" of his body insecurity that seemed simultaneously true (background story) and performative (sharing it as a plot point). Maybe he decided to just overcome it, show his body in the gold speedo and feel like he put it behind him. Or maybe it was a minor insecurity that he played up so viewers would find it endearing and blow him kisses for his bravery instead of ragging on his body on the internet. Seemed like somebody with a genuine enough complex to "confess" wouldn't put the speedo on, guest request or not.  I know it's "anything for the tip" but you have an actual stripper on board and Josiah could have plead his religion or done a joke costume or something the guests would have accepted.

Josiah is sort of in a weird nexus for having body issues and also being able to suck it up and wear the speedo because he's gay and a former gymnast. So his suck it up and just do it probably stems from gymnastics. However, gymnastics is probably where he first started manifesting body issues too.

• Love 9

On top of the fact that Adrian kept his creeper comments on the DL, Laura was his roommate.  So she had to share a cabin with him and that kind of amps up the stakes for not making huge waves about things.  It's uncomfortable when the comments are made, you try to brush them off, she did say "that's not funny" and he ignores it and says other stuff, so how far can you escalate it while still having a reasonable living situation? And look how he handled this last conversation, he promptly says"We were joking around" because of course he didn't do anything.  It's totally not possible that she's telling him how she feels.  Then you get, "I'm just not a prude the way you are because I'm from the Caribbean" because, he's more evolved and she's wrong for not getting that she shouldn't be so uptight.  Finally, "Oh, I wish you had told me" because it's clearly her fault for him being inappropriate in the first place.  I mean, damn! Why did she go and make him be creepy?

I've got to say, Captain Lee disappointed me with this.  On twitter and in his blog he was asked about some of Adrian's creeper comments and his response was basically "she isn't finding your sense of humor funny, keep that in mind"  No, he's harassing her and he needs to not do that on a ship that he's in charge of.  How about "I wish she'd have brought this to my attention so I could have nipped it in the bud?"  You're quick to talk about how you'd have fired this person or that person because of some conversation, but, Adrian saying sexual shit that is unwanted to all the women is ok?  And then he makes the crack about the "girls" getting to work and is called on it.  His response is "I didn't mean anything by it so I won't apologize for it"  Uh, ok.  

• Love 9

On Twitter, Laura defended Adrian and said they both could have handled the situation better, so take that for what you will.  I really did enjoy the season.  I also half-expected Caroline to burst out from behind the Tahitian dancers with a machine gun and announce she was taking everyone hostage as a cliffhanger, so clearly I've watched way too many nighttime dramas. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, smores said:

On top of the fact that Adrian kept his creeper comments on the DL, Laura was his roommate.  So she had to share a cabin with him and that kind of amps up the stakes for not making huge waves about things.  It's uncomfortable when the comments are made, you try to brush them off, she did say "that's not funny" and he ignores it and says other stuff, so how far can you escalate it while still having a reasonable living situation? And look how he handled this last conversation, he promptly says"We were joking around" because of course he didn't do anything.  It's totally not possible that she's telling him how she feels.  Then you get, "I'm just not a prude the way you are because I'm from the Caribbean" because, he's more evolved and she's wrong for not getting that she shouldn't be so uptight.  Finally, "Oh, I wish you had told me" because it's clearly her fault for him being inappropriate in the first place.  I mean, damn! Why did she go and make him be creepy?

I've got to say, Captain Lee disappointed me with this.  On twitter and in his blog he was asked about some of Adrian's creeper comments and his response was basically "she isn't finding your sense of humor funny, keep that in mind"  No, he's harassing her and he needs to not do that on a ship that he's in charge of.  How about "I wish she'd have brought this to my attention so I could have nipped it in the bud?"  You're quick to talk about how you'd have fired this person or that person because of some conversation, but, Adrian saying sexual shit that is unwanted to all the women is ok?  And then he makes the crack about the "girls" getting to work and is called on it.  His response is "I didn't mean anything by it so I won't apologize for it"  Uh, ok.  

Someone should have reminded Adrian how uncomfortable HE was when that older woman, the one they called "Tony Soprano's wife" had a crush on him.  

In any relationship, people need to figure out what is and what isn't okay.  I do remember Laura telling Adrian, "that's not funny."  But she complained about Adrian in her TH's, she should have just looked Adrian in the eye and said, "those comments make me feel uncomfortable."  The thing is, not everybody feels the same way.  Adrian could say shit like that to someone else and they'll be like, "go away, little boy."  Maybe people Adrian hangs out with have no problem with his humor, it's possible, because everybody's boundaries aren't the same, and everybody has a different idea as to what harassment is.  

• Love 4

Whether she said something right away or held off because she didn't want to start anything with someone she was stuck with for weeks, or whatever her reasons were, something he said surprised me when she confronted him at the end.  He seemed to think she was doing the same thing. He called it flirting early on. Apparently he can't read a room. I could look at that boy's food all day long but I wanted her to hit him in the head with the avocados.  Not buying his culture excuse. His moves were juvenile and offensive. 

• Love 3

Adrian would have been fired at any other job for his inappropriate behavior. Captain Lee failed his crew by allowing it to continue and failed women everywhere that had to watch it. Sad that blatant sexual harassment in the work place is allowed. 

Adrian is a small, insecure, spoiled man that pouts at the slightest hint of things not going his way. 

Someone needs to let Adrian know that vulgar comments are not acceptable at any time, especially the work place. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Dreams of Moorea said:

Adrian would have been fired at any other job for his inappropriate behavior. Captain Lee failed his crew by allowing it to continue and failed women everywhere that had to watch it. Sad that blatant sexual harassment in the work place is allowed. 

Actually he probably wouldn’t have been. He most likely would have been taken into a meeting gotten the remarks confirmed told that they were inappropriate comments and then given a chance to refrain from making those comments. As it is Laura didn’t tell a mandatory reporter about these comments, occasionally crossed the boundaries she said she wanted established and didn’t than or now want him fired.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 9
13 hours ago, Dreams of Moorea said:

Adrian is a small, insecure, spoiled man that pouts at the slightest hint of things not going his way. 

Someone needs to let Adrian know that vulgar comments are not acceptable at any time, especially the work place. 

When I heard he was going to NYC to chef for a rich couple/family, I wondered how long it'll take before he's trying to bang the boss wife. That's what I think about him now..

• Love 3
On 2/1/2019 at 4:50 PM, Kareem said:

Whether she said something right away or held off because she didn't want to start anything with someone she was stuck with for weeks, or whatever her reasons were, something he said surprised me when she confronted him at the end.  He seemed to think she was doing the same thing. He called it flirting early on. Apparently he can't read a room. I could look at that boy's food all day long but I wanted her to hit him in the head with the avocados.  Not buying his culture excuse. His moves were juvenile and offensive. 

I think most tellingly, Adrian knew that Ashton's constant flirtations and hook-ups would be seen as negative by Laura. Adrian never let up on the drum beat of Ashton being a quantity over quality hobag despite Adrian being raised in this open free love community. If you can recall some of the reactions from French actors and actresses during the earlier parts of the Hollywood #MeToo movement, the French actors and actresses were perplexed. They were like "I don't know what the problem is. The men like women. Women like to be appreciated. How else are men supposed to show women they are interested?"

Adrian's cultural defense of his actions reads as so false because he selectively applies it. He isn't always talking sexually about women and himself. He doesn't do it with all women and he's pretty uncomfortable when the tables are turned and a female guest seems to be objectifying him. He uses it as a defense for his actions and conveniently forgets that Ashton and Laura who also grew up in different cultures that may not have attitudes about sex that are typical with American viewpoints. Laura has shown that she's a little more conservative about sex. Ashton has not. Why doesn't Ashton get the benefit of an explanation of not being so puritanical about sex? Meanwhile Rhylee, an American, has demonstrated that she's fairly sexually open. She's kissed Ross and Ashton when they came calling, she slept with Tyler, and yet Adrian seems to be frightened by no filter/sexually liberated Rhylee. Adrian uses attitudes about sex as a sword against Ashton and Laura and a shield as a defense of his own behavior. It's bullshit and hypocrisy.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 8
34 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I think most tellingly, Adrian knew that Ashton's constant flirtations and hook-ups wood be seen as negative by Laura. Adrian never let up on the drum beat of Ashton being a quantity over quality hobag despite Adrian being raised in this open free love community. If you can recall some of the reactions from French actors and actresses during the earlier parts of the Hollywood #MeToo movement, the French actors and actresses were perplexed. They were like "I don't know what the problem is. The men like women. Women like to be appreciated. How else are men supposed to show women they are interested?"

Adrian's cultural defense of his actions reads as so false because he selectively applies it. He isn't always talking sexually about women and himself. He doesn't do it with all women and he's pretty uncomfortable when the tables are turned and a female guest seems to be objectifying him. He uses it as a defense for his actions and conveniently forgets that Ashton and Laura who also grew up in different cultures that may not have attitudes about sex that are typical with American viewpoints. Laura has shown that she's a little more conservative about sex. Ashton has not. Why doesn't Ashton get the benefit of an explanation of not being so puritanical about sex? Meanwhile Rhylee, an American, has demonstrated that she's fairly sexually open. She's kissed Ross and Ashton when they came calling, she slept with Tyler, and yet Adrian seems to be frightened by no filter/sexually liberated Rhylee. Adrian uses attitudes about sex as a sword against Ashton and Laura and a shield as a defense of his own behavior. It's bullshit and hypocrisy.

Because she could snap his little happy ass like a twig.

• Love 5

I think the balance of power in a relationship factors in greatly when you examine sexual innuendos and the effect they have.  More often than not, men have an edge up on this simply because they are men and there is often a slight physical strength advantage.  In this case, Adrian is the chef, and has been part of the team longer, so he holds the balance of power in the relationship.  So his comments are inappropriate. 

That said, Laura's comments are foolhardy at best and at worst, invite the behavior from Adrian to continue rather than stop.

On 1/30/2019 at 9:46 AM, Blindfox said:

Turned out to be a great season, and the crew was really working together well at the end.  I was a little surprised by Adrian trying to do the centerpiece with the sea slug, and like someone pointed out he had less time to prepare because of his excursion to get it.

This episode, the guests had a helluva primary/friend and were just there for the 'goodie bags,'  Kate was spot on.

But what made the strongest impression on me was the change in Laura the last couple of episodes.  Good for her.

Edited by MajorNelson
  • Love 5

I really enjoyed the way things ended re the crew, too.  Laura's turn around and mellowing out were not only a pleasure to watch but for me, seemed to help erase from the season all memories of Caroline the Flake and the drama she created.  The only thing that was a little disappointing was how vile the last charter guests were and how ridiculous I felt Adrian was being regarding his slug and his justifications for playing the pig with Laura.  Thought Josiah looked handsome as could be while at the club. His hair looked great not combed straight up.  Anyway, was nice to see them all working so well together, and being good at what they do.  Looking forward to the reunion! 

• Love 9