Type keyword(s) to search

The Other Two - General Discussion

• Start Topic

23 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Instead of trying to keep Chase away from music, maybe it would be better if they got him a vocal coach to improve on his abilities? He isnt a great singer but he's enthusiastic, so they could at least make him sound more trained, especially if they use a lot of background mixing. It seems like Chace really wants to start singing again even as everyone is trying to get him to do other things. 

I totally agree with this. He can still do other things to keep his name out there/stay in the public eye, but he really wants to sing. I think he'd be willing to work with a vocal coach. 

• Love 1

I loved when Lance was happy for Carey for finding out his dick is bigger than Lance’s, and always knew how “packed” Carey was. He is genuinely such a sweet and happy person, and glad that Brooke figured out being friends with him is something she needs in her life.

I am worried that poor Pat is burning out and going to lose it in an upcoming episode. She is working so hard and nobody seems to notice it. 

• Love 6
On 9/13/2021 at 7:14 PM, Sarah 103 said:

What I love about this show is however messed up thier lives are, whatever is going wrong in Brooke's life or in Carey's life, the second they realize there is a problem with Chase they will be there for him and try to help.

That's been the hallmark of the series since it started, the thing that made it different from what it seemed in advance it would be. Given the premise "A 30-ish brother and sister, who are still struggling to find a place as actors, see their no-talent teenage brother 'jump the queue' and become instantly famous as a performer," one might reasonably expect them to be resentful and dismissive of him. But right from the beginning they've looked after him and cared about him, and that's why I love it.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

S2E7: I am not sure where they were going with Brooke's storyline or what it was satirizing, but it was entertaining to listen to those female rights experts analyze everyday thing like a woman calling out another woman in front of people. I greatly enjoyed the melodramatic entrance of Cary's "wife" at the hospital, that scene was so cool 😆. And the applause at the end? It put the cherry on top.

S2E8: There were early signs that Chase is starting to get sick of being told what to do and being kept from singing. And working so hard will take a toll on Pat, just as many of you here pointed out. I guess the show is gearing up to a season finale where the sources of fame, aka Pat and Chase fall apart, but in that case I really want the show to be renewed as ending it that way would leave a lot to the imagination.

• Love 2

I can't explain why, but this show kinda remind me of It's always sunny in Philadelphia, only without all the main characters being sociopaths.

I stumbled upon it by accident and love it a lot.

Only thing I would have to critize about the first season (writing this post after having watched that and not any further so far) is how they just droped the storyline with the hot, bisexual roommate. It was important that Cary stood up to him, but I think he should have come back a few episodes later, declaring that he did have real feelings and they should have dated for a bit. I just like some romantic contrivances in my comedies.

On 3/29/2019 at 11:39 PM, Rinaldo said:

There was also a quite bad independent movie in 2015, My Brother's Shoes. (I found it on a streaming service, either Amazon Prime or Netflix, and found it cringey enough that I fast-forwarded through some obvious parts.) In this one the brothers were not far apart in age; the gimmick was that one was straight and the other gay. And each thought the other had it easier, so poof! (so to speak) -- magically they learn that it's not true. Unfortunately, the movie chose to have them have to deal, not with each other's daily challenges, but with the night that Brother A must perform in a drag contest while Brother B must impregnate his wife. Hilarity does not ensue.

Yeah that premise sounds inherently flawed on multiple levels. It would take somebody genious to pull that one off.

Edited by Zonk

Curious as to who the writers based Dean Brennan on.  Artists gay bait, definitely, but I'm not that pessimistic to think they do it just to gain roles. Maybe that's me being naïve. Doing it to add mystique, get people talking and gain the LGBTQIA community's dollars?  Definitely. Get roles? Not so much because the U.S entertainment industry is still slow on casting openly gay actors in leading roles, especially in tent-pole films.  

Love that the show didn't regress and have Brooke be jealous of Lance and Leah, who is just as cool as Lance.  

1 hour ago, AngieBee1 said:

Love that the show didn't regress and have Brooke be jealous of Lance and Leah, who is just as cool as Lance.  

I agree. To me, this proves that Brooke was completely honest when she said she was happy that Lance had a serious girlfriend. I'm glad that they all get along. I would love to see more of them. Maybe Leah and Lance will try to set Brooke up with someone. 

Brooke and Lance having the same bad experience on different panels was fantastic.

The running gag of every other person in the hospital shadowing someone for a role was great. 

I liked that as bad as Carey's day was going, he was willing to let a friend live out a strange but harmless fantasy. It's great that Carey still has Curtis as a friend. Sometimes you need someone to give you a much needed reality check. 

Dean Brennan was a total jerk. I beleive that Carey had no deeper motive than picking the hotest guy. He would make the decision based on looks. I'm hoping Carey will eventually get the kind of role he wants. 

• Love 4

I think both Pat and Chase are heading for some kind of epic meltdown that will leave Brooke managing no one.  

On 9/16/2021 at 5:05 PM, Sarah 103 said:

The running gag of every other person in the hospital shadowing someone for a role was great. 

I really enjoyed that joke, but felt like Carey getting a reality check from his friend was kind of a retread of last season where the school teacher Carey liked ended up dumping him because appearing on Watch What Happens Live as the background bartender immediately went to Carey's head. 

On 9/16/2021 at 3:29 PM, Zonk said:

Only thing I would have to critize about the first season (writing this post after having watched that and not any further so far) is how they just droped the storyline with the hot, bisexual roommate. It was important that Cary stood up to him, but I think he should have come back a few episodes later, declaring that he did have real feelings and they should have dated for a bit....

From an overall structural standpoint, I can see that it's unsatisfying to have a main recurring character just vanish, but I do think he and Cary had run their course once the final conversation happened. In my experience (which doesn't go quite as far as they did), a guy like that doesn't change so quickly.

On 9/16/2021 at 3:43 PM, AngieBee1 said:

Curious as to who the writers based Dean Brennan on.  Artists gay bait, definitely, but I'm not that pessimistic to think they do it just to gain roles. Maybe that's me being naïve. Doing it to add mystique, get people talking and gain the LGBTQIA community's dollars?  Definitely. Get roles? Not so much because the U.S entertainment industry is still slow on casting openly gay actors in leading roles, especially in tent-pole films.

It's a messy gray area, as you indicate, and if I name names, it's not to point fingers at actors whom I in fact like. But after a few decades of straight actors getting cast in gay roles and proclaiming to the press "It was a real challenge to me 'cause I'm so super hetero!" and taking heat for it from the gay audience, we're now in a time of reaction when well-intentioned straight actors will downplay their sexuality in public arenas so as not to come off offensive when playing gay characters. When playing Next Fall on Broadway, Patrick Heusinger tried to avoid that syndrome by not answering questions about his personal life (though in one interview I read, he did eventually get caught by his pronouns and admitted the truth). While playing White Josh on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend for four seasons, David Hull kept a low profile about his girlfriend, surely in part to avoid disappointing fans of the character. 

Of course The Other Two cranks all that up to a comically extreme level, as it does. But I can easily imagine an actor avid for a high-profile gay role in a franchise wanting not to put off gay fans by seeming obnoxiously straight in public situations, even as producers were reassured by his actual status.

On 9/16/2021 at 10:19 PM, Fake Jan Brady said:

Am I missing a pop culture reference when Dean met Carey at the Bethesda Fountain and Carey sunk to his knees?

The only reference that comes to that mind for that fountain is its central place in Angels in America. But that doesn't involve sinking to one's knees.

13 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I ... felt like Carey getting a reality check from his friend was kind of a retread of last season where the school teacher Carey liked ended up dumping him ...

I see what you mean, but this one felt different to me -- at least I liked it better because it was less extreme: Curtis told him right away before it started festering. (I always found the teacher's reaction excessive: if Cary's a dick for one evening, tell him so and try again after a few days. There's no need to break up over it.) And I liked that as a fellow aspiring actor, he did understand the frustration. (As both actors must, themselves.) Getting somewhere as an actor is a long discouraging process. Jenna Fischer's book is especially informative about that, and one of the people she credits with encouraging her through the hard years is, coincidentally, Molly Shannon, whose biggest bit of advice was "Don't give up," adding that it took her a full decade of trying before she achieved visibility on SNL.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

From an overall structural standpoint, I can see that it's unsatisfying to have a main recurring character just vanish, but I do think he and Cary had run their course once the final conversation happened. In my experience (which doesn't go quite as far as they did), a guy like that doesn't change so quickly.

This is a comedy. I don't need bi-curious straight guys ,who in the end decide that their masculinity is too fragile to actually be in a gay relationship (even if it's a purely sexual relationshop), in my comedies. There are dramas for that.

Also, as you noted, they were already so far along that it wasn't your usual case anymore and the roommate seemed to be evolving rapidly. At that pace it was basically three episodes till marriage proposel, if Cary hadn't shut it down.

On 9/16/2021 at 2:43 PM, AngieBee1 said:

I don't know if this was their intention but the actor I thought about during that whole thing was Richard Madden.  (Robb Stark on Game of Thrones, the lead in the Netflix TV series The Bodyguard. )  For a long while, the rumor was that he was going to play the first gay superhero in The Eternals. I don't think it will be his character but that was the talk around him at the time. 

He had been in public relationships with actresses but about a year or two ago he was also seen a lot with an out gay actor who was also Sam Smith's ex and starred in 13 Reasons Why. The rumor was they even lived together. Richard's whole spiel was that he didn't comment on his sexuality but he managed to get papped quite a bit with this actor in poses that are more intimate than we usually see between two male friends (walking with an arm around him, walking a dog...etc.) but nothing overt like PDA. 

I don't know if Richard Madden is gay, straight or bi but the details of the Dean Brennan (closeish to Madden) character made me think of him.

It used to be that if you were going to be "brave" and play a gay role, you had to assert your straightness so no one would be confused that you are a straight straight person who can play straight roles again.

But then people started talking about how gay actors can get cast in straight roles as long as they're closeted.  Once they came out, it made it much harder for them to get cast in straight roles while straight actors were still being cast in straight and gay roles.  The push was to not cast straight people in those roles.  I think that's when some of the gay baiting started.  They give enough hints that people might believe they might identify as LGBTQ but don't actually openly identify as such so they don't face the backlash from execs who do hold old fashioned ideas about the roles out gay men can play.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

They are really setting up the whole family as heading towards a breaking point, with Pat being increasingly exhausted by her schedule and Chase clearly getting more and more annoyed about not being allowed to sing. I think that, while Brooke is mostly doing a good job as an agent, she is not really listening to what Pat and Chase are actually saying to her and its going to end up biting her really hard soon. 

I had no idea how the women's panel was going to go, so I enjoyed the many turns it took, especially the other speakers all telling Brooke that none of them feel super confident all of the time (except for that one woman. Who they hate) even after doing things like this for years. We also get Carey not only dating an actor who is only pretending to be ambiguously gay for the publicity, but also getting sucked into some kind of psychological thriller plot, complete with dramatic background music. This show takes so many turns, I really can never be sure where any plot is going to go. 

The hospital where it seems like everyone is an actor shadowing for one off roles in medical shows was hilarious. 

• Love 2

S2E9: Well color me surprised, Alessia Cara did finally appear on the show. Shocking. Cary's plotline was kinda absurd I never heard the word "hole" mentioned so many times in 1 day.

S2E10: I was happy to see Curtis getting the hosting gig, good for him finally moving up a bit. And hey, did you all see the date at the very end? Cary's life is supposed to change on March 13, 2020. COVID will shut down filming and he is back to square one.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Harvey said:

Cary's life is supposed to change on March 13, 2020. COVID will shut down filming and he is back to square one.

I wondered why the date was specified. That's brilliant. 

Loved the call backs - another actor shadowing at hospital, the return of Instagay Cameron, Lance and Brooke dabbing. I *think* the shirt Curtis was wearing was one like Cary wore when he was doing those spots. 

Can't say that I love the idea of Lance and Brooke being an item again. I think they still need some distance, and I liked their friendship.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Harvey said:

S2E10: I was happy to see Curtis getting the hosting gig, good for him finally moving up a bit. And hey, did you all see the date at the very end? Cary's life is supposed to change on March 13, 2020. COVID will shut down filming and he is back to square one.

It could go that way.  But if there's a third season, I could also see it going where Carey's career takes off.  So S1 is a out how Chase's success changes everything and this season was about the repercussions of Pat's success. Next would be the reaction to Carey's success. 

• Love 1

I like that Lance knows that Brooke's first call when she wanted to celebrate was to Carey. Carey's day going wrong then working out in the end was fun to watch. 

My Season 3 Predictions Based on Pure Speculation:

My guess is that we will skip over seeing the characters deal with lockdown. It will start off with Curtis in one of the many hosting gigs he has taken over from Carey recapping what everyone has been up to.

We know Brooke is really good at social media when it comes to work. She will have convinced Carey to follow a bunch of nurses on Twitter and retweet them with the hashtag "RealNightNurses" and hashtags something like "Covid19" and "Heroes." This will keep Night Nurse trending/in the news, and it will make Carey look like someone who is spotlighting real people making a difference. 

I am not sure what else Carey will do during lockdown. 

Chase will spend lockdown taking voice/singing lessons. When season 3 starts he will about to launch an album where he duets with Alessia Cara. Alessia will be about to launch a perfume, a clothing line, or some other non-singing project. 

Pat will have spent lockdown taking time for herself. She will limit her social media use, especially posting. When she posts, it becomes a big deal. Her posts are about what she is doing to take care of herself and the importance of setting limits, saying no, and sticking to to the no. She accidently becomes a self-help and/or wellness influencer (I am not sure if influencer is the right word, but I couldn't come up with something better). When season three starts, she will be about to release a book with all of her advice/guidance. 

I hope the three siblings can connect with each other during lockdown. I like the idea of a siblings only virtual game night. Chase wants it to continue after the lockdown. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 1
On 9/23/2021 at 1:52 PM, AngieBee1 said:

Can't say that I love the idea of Lance and Brooke being an item again. I think they still need some distance, and I liked their friendship.

I forgot to respond to this but I agree.  The show has pleasantly subverted expectations many times so I was disappointed that their celebratory hangout led to a sexual moment while he was still with his girlfriend. 

The show has officially been renewed!

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/the-other-two-renewed-season-3-hbo-max-1235073658/

• Love 4

As soon as Brooke showed up at Lance's gf-less room with champagne, I was apprehensively awaiting the inevitable hook-up. It's been nice to see how cool their friendship was working, but put me at a table for one because the actual result was freaking HOT. The way Lance always looks so into whoever he's talking to has a certain magnetism, but I felt compelled to google who exactly is this actor, anyway? (Maybe I'm just a perve.)

I felt so bad for Chase and Pat, and hope they get some rest and family time. Glad that Carey didn't have to sacrifice his progress and thrilled to see Curtis get a gig. The Friday the 13th of March date will forever be etched in my memory as exactly the day I chose to stop tutoring in person and go 100% remote. When it popped up during Curtis' show, I groaned out loud.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Dewey Decimate said:

The way Lance always looks so into whoever he's talking to has a certain magnetism, but I felt compelled to google who exactly is this actor, anyway? (Maybe I'm just a perve.)

This made me search him on IMDb and now I'm strongly considering adding some of the shows he was in to my list. I just really love him as Lance lol.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

This made me search him on IMDb and now I'm strongly considering adding some of the shows he was in to my list. I just really love him as Lance lol.

If you can find a way to watch it, Josh Segarra was a standout in the 2014 USA network remake of the UK sitcom Sirens. He recurred as the dim-but-sweet, anatomically-gifted cop Billy on that show.

Josh-segarra-sirens.jpg

He was also very good as the hot but shady love interest for RuPaul's character in the early 2020 Netflix show AJ and the Queen. I really wish I'd had the chance to catch him on Broadway when he originated the role of Gloria Estefan's husband Emilio in the 2015 jukebox musical On Your Feet.

Edited by giovannif7
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

put me at a table for one because the actual result was freaking HOT.

Oh, don't get me wrong it was very hot, but I would like to see them as friends more than a couple.  Just as Cary had to let go of Jess because he was comfortable but not ultimately what he really wanted in a partner, I think it's too easy for Brooke to go back to Lance considering how she's been striking out on the dating scene.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

If you can find a way to watch it, Josh Segarra was a standout in the 2014 USA network remake of the UK sitcom Sirens. He recurred as the dim-but-sweet, anatomically-gifted cop Billy on that show.

I did watch the first couple eps of Sirens when they aired so that's probably why I always thought he looked familiar.

When I was googling him, I saw that he was on Broadway and I was like he sings too fucking hell! 

It took me a second to realize what that date meant, poor Carey. So close to achieving his dreams, and yet so far. This season has been really good, I love how much this last episode has been building all season and how much it was set up. It was obvious that Pat was getting more and more exhausted and Chase was getting more frustrated about not being allowed to sing and everything came to ahead. I can get why Brooke and Carey got so excited about their success that they didn't notice what was going on with Pat and Chase and I think that Brooke got a bit too much into "manager mode" with them trying to manage them instead of talking to them like her mom and brother. I felt really bad for them both this episode, having an episode focusing on Chase and Pat with minimal Brooke and Carey was a really good idea. Hopefully things can get better now that they are spending some time together, and with quarantine coming up, they might spend a LOT more time together...

It really was shocking hearing Chase so pissed off, he is normally such a sweet affable kid. I think what else might be bothering him is that Brooke and Carey still tend to talk to him like he's a little kid even as he is getting older. It might just be me but Chase does look like he is starting to hit his older teens, his face looks less young and his voice is deeper, now actually probably is a good time for him to work on his voice. 

I was worried right away when Brooke showed up at Lance's room when his girlfriend wasn't around, I really liked them being friends, I don't want them to mess things up by getting back together.

• Love 4
On 9/23/2021 at 7:07 PM, Irlandesa said:

It could go that way.  But if there's a third season, I could also see it going where Carey's career takes off.  ...

I see the symmetry of that, but then it would no longer be about Brooke & Cary being "the other two," the siblings whose lives get shunted aside as their less-prepared relatives outshine them in show business. Of course this wouldn't be the first series to eventually make its title inaccurate. We'll see, I guess....

As for the talented and adorable Josh Segarra, I second the recommendation for the two seasons of Sirens, which always seems to be around on some streaming service. I would also recommend a look at the 2009 reboot of The Electric Company, which must have been one of his first jobs at age 23. He had the leading role of Hector Ruiz, and had scenes and songs with other regulars Lin-Manuel Miranda and William Jackson Harper (of The Good Place). 

• Useful 1

I really enjoyed the first season, binged watched all ten episodes over the course of two days. Two episodes into season two and I'm sad to say, I'm just not feeling it. I never really cared for Pat as a character, she just seems like your cliché quirky mom stereotype with not much else to offer. I really hope this season gets better because right now I just find myself fast-forwarding through a lot of the scenes.

Edited by Roccos Brother
6 hours ago, Roccos Brother said:

I really enjoyed the first season, binged watched all ten episodes over the course of two days. Two episodes into season two and I'm sad to say, I'm just not feeling it. I never really cared for Pat as a character, she just seems like your cliché quirky mom stereotype with not much else to offer. I really hope this season gets better because right now I just find myself fast-forwarding through a lot of the scenes.

Pat has less of a presence in the later episodes, except in episode 10 she comes back then.

• Love 1

I'm starting to realize why I'm not enjoying this show as much. The more I watch, the more clear it becomes how one-note and one-dimensional these characters are. How much longer do the writers plan to milk the "Schrader trying to ingratiate himself into the family" and "Lance makes shoes" gags until they realize they were barely funny the first time?

Lance is basically like Jason from "The Good Place", only Jason actually had a backstory and talked about more than just one thing. The dead dad secret was the only backstory we've been given for anyone, and that was resolved within 5 minutes. Brooke's problems are still mostly superficial and self-absorbed in nature. She hasn't shown any growth at all. Cary is the only one with any real depth, and the only reason I'm still watching.

Edited by Roccos Brother
  • Love 1
On 9/27/2021 at 10:44 AM, tennisgurl said:

It might just be me but Chase does look like he is starting to hit his older teens, his face looks less young and his voice is deeper, now actually probably is a good time for him to work on his voice. 

When he couldn't help singing about how his fashion line was gonna be "doooope," I thought he sounded like a dozen other youngsters on the radio. That is, not great but certainly not bad enough for Brooke to decide he should never sing again.

• Love 2
On 9/14/2021 at 12:43 AM, twoods said:

I loved when Lance was happy for Carey for finding out his dick is bigger than Lance’s, and always knew how “packed” Carey was. 

I remember that scene being so funny but I can't remember what episode it was.

I liked Season 2 more than Season 1.  There seemed to be more movement.  I'll disagree with the comments above that the characters are too one-note.  They're not complex by any means, but I think they show enough range for a silly sit com.

I don't like how they ended Season 2 essentially blaming Brooke for Chase's unhappiness and Pat's exhaustion.  Chase complained no one was letting him sing, but um, yeah, that was the point.  He's a bad singer.  I think Brooke did the right thing as a manager - get him as diversified as possible and keep him out of the studio.  It's just you can't say to a 16 year old (or however old he's supposed to be now) that's been told for several years how great he is "hey, listen, the truth is your voice is really mediocre and has to be majorly autotuned, and your singing career is incredibly limited if not over".  But it would have been nice for someone else to acknowledge Brooke was doing the best thing for Chase.

As for Pat, sorry, she's a grown adult who has the ability to say no.  If she didn't, and found herself overscheduled, that's on her.  Brooke's ideas made Pat's popularity soar. 

Earlier comments re: Chase being more mature than Carey and Brooke.  I think he has seemingly "mature" moments, like dropping the celeb church without a thought.  But overall, Chase is not that bright.  He's not even smart enough to realize he's not smart.  So I think it's more of a child-like instinct as to what is right and wrong vs. adult maturity. 

I'm looking forward to Season 3.  But I'm hoping to never again have to hear the words "butt hole" on TV ever again.  I'm with others that would love it if they get Chase to take singing lessons and make him a "real" singer.  I like Brooke and Carey having some sort of success of their own, but it does change the tenor of the show from the original premise.  But watching them fail again and again isn't fun, either.  So the writers have a challenge there.  Just keep Wanda Sykes.  She's gold in this!

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 11/6/2021 at 4:45 PM, chaifan said:

Chase complained no one was letting him sing, but um, yeah, that was the point.  He's a bad singer.  I think Brooke did the right thing as a manager - get him as diversified as possible and keep him out of the studio.  I'm with others that would love it if they get Chase to take singing lessons and make him a "real" singer.  

I agree just because he is a bad singer now who needs auto-tune to be sucessful doesn't mean he can't be taught to sing. I think some serious work with a vocal coach/singing instructor would be a great use of Chase's time during quarantine. He could come back and reluanch his singing career, as well as doing other projects. 

On 11/6/2021 at 4:45 PM, chaifan said:

Earlier comments re: Chase being more mature than Carey and Brooke. 

Personally, I don't think Chase is more mature than Carey and Brooke. I do think Chase is more mature than Carey and Brooke give him credit for. He is not a fully grown adult the way Carey and Brooke are, but he is not the five to nine year old (I am horrible with math so the numbers may be off) they may remember spending time with when they were home from college breaks. There is a huge maturity difference between eight and fifteen, and I am not sure if Carey and Brooke realize or apperciate that yet.

• Love 3

The show turned into a hit! Article from today:

"It definitely feels — in a really lovely way — like it's getting back to me more," co-creator Sarah Schneider told TODAY via Zoom on the show finding more popularity during its second season. "I have friends from high school and friends from previous stages of my life reaching out, which didn't really happen with the first season. There's been a difference this time around."

We think of their relationships to each other and specifically Brooke and Cary’s friendship is what grounds the entire show. That was our intention.”

Interesting part about Cary's characterization: "Yes. He definitely is dealing with a little bit of self-hate throughout both seasons," Tarver said when asked about this. "He's definitely falling for people who are unavailable ... hooking up with his 'straight' roommate. Then when people accept him for who he is, he doesn't have a ton of love for himself, so it makes him uncomfortable. He's publicly trying to clunkily accept himself as he moves forward, in front of strangers."

source: https://www.today.com/popculture/tv/-two-became-breakout-comedy-hit-2021-rcna10343

Edited by Harvey
  • Love 1

season 3 jumps ahead three years, skipping over the COVID lockdown entirely, and according to the official logline, Brooke and Cary are now fully successful in their own right and finally standing on their own two feet. Of course, that doesn't stop them from comparing themselves to new people ... because no matter how much some things change, others will always stay the same.

Well, that sounds depressing.

But at least the release date is not far, May 4

• Thanks 1

It was so frustrating to watch Brooke being so awful, because if she had told Lance what was bothering her, he would have understood and found a way to help her. Lance is an awesome guy, and Brooke should have been able to trust him. 

I'm glad Carey got what he wanted (to able to watch the people closest to him watch his movie). I loved that Curtis did a red carpet interview before the home screening. 

One of things I enjoy about Streeter is that you think he's an idiot/goofball, and then the show reminds you that he is really good at his job. 

• Like 4

I really loved both episodes. I'm so glad the show is back.

-The first episode perfectly encapsulated the media journey due to the pandemic and post pandemic. All the hopes for movies only to have them come out to streaming or VOD and the loss of movie theaters. 

I wonder if Cary and Curtis will have a bit of a dust-up this season. I could be misreading it, but it looked as if Curtis was peeved when Cary off-handedly mentioned how his publicist wouldn't let him do "Age, Net Worth and Feet" on the red carpet. Cary having chance to really help his friend with an exclusive interview on the red carpet and opting not to do so is not surprising.

-I loved how the second episode cast a spotlight on just how objectified teen boys are in the entertainment industry. People always talk about female celebrities getting the countdown clock treatment where people can't wait until they're 18 to openly perv on them or objectify them. When Noah Jupe (A Quiet Place) turned 17 his team had him doing shirtless with the requisite armpit shots. I cracked up with even Shuli dropped fangs at the idea of being able to market a legal Chase. She wants the best for him but also wants that money. 

-I am so glad THE BIG DOOR PRIZE on Apple TV+ exists because now I can spend even more time with Josh Segarra playing a guy just as loveable as Lance. 

-Bless Cary's heart. I see many an actor milking their projects LOOOOOONG after they should in order to stay relevant. 

• Like 3

The series is a bit more absurd than in the past but I think it has been progressing from there ever since the first season so I don't mind it.  I think the only sequence that went a bit too far was Cary getting hit on by multiple guys while walking down the street and that the actor guy just happened to find him again.

But there were so many laughs I didn't care. I especially loved Brooke's increasing irritation that everyone she knew decided to become a better person during the pandemic. 

1 hour ago, AngieBee1 said:

I wonder if Cary and Curtis will have a bit of a dust-up this season. I could be misreading it, but it looked as if Curtis was peeved when Cary off-handedly mentioned how his publicist wouldn't let him do "Age, Net Worth and Feet" on the red carpet. Cary having chance to really help his friend with an exclusive interview on the red carpet and opting not to do so is not surprising.

I wonder too.   I find the "got so famous, lost his head and pissed off his best friends" trope a little overdone and predictable but I could see them going there.  So far, at least, I appreciate that it hasn't happened yet.

• Like 2
(edited)

This show has practically gone into absurdist fantasy territory this season, but this show has always had a weird edge to it and its been so many that I'm down for it. The utterly ridiculous lengths people were going to getting a picture of Chase's armpit was hilarious, it was utterly bizarre but also really apt commentary on the sexualization of young celebrities as they hit their late teens. The "hours until they turn 18" countdown is very real and very creepy. 

It was rough watching Brooke being so awful, especially when Lance was being so sweet and understanding, even though I can get why she was feeling insecure. She's not happy at her job and wants to do something real, especially now that every person she knows (or almost) has become a better person during the pandemic. 

Cary meanwhile, might need a brain doctor. Cary accidently opening his heart to a super method actor reminded me of that episode last season where every doctor they met at a hospital was actually an actor researching a role.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 4