Type keyword(s) to search

The Other Two - General Discussion

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

Wow, they really stuck the landing; what a great season finale and a brilliant tease for season two. 

Of course, I'm devastated we'll never get to see Untitled Brothers Switching Bodies But Not In A Sex Way Project.

The movie actually sounded like it could have been pretty good. We've never seen the body swap movie with siblings where there was a big age difference before. Disney Channel had an original movie Wish Upon A Star, but the siblings were only three years apart. In the movie Chase and Carey were going to be in, the age difference would have been at least a decade. I'll bet the movie would have been the high school student (Chase) wishing he could be a grown-up/adult like his older brother (Carey), while the older brother (Carey) hates his grown-up/adult life and wishes he could be in high-school again. 

If Chase is going to college, NYU is the perfect school. No one cares about having celebrities in class. They may gush to their friends, but in class, he's just another student. 

I think they are setting up Brooke managing Carey's career next season, which could be fantastic to watch. 

• Love 2

Never thought I would say this, but maybe the pig costumes really were the way to go. 

This was one of the stand out new comedy's this season, I am really glad I decided to give it a try, after being a bit meh on the idea from the promotions. Its funny, but also has some really well done dramatic and sweet moments throughout. Even with the sort of hyper reality of show business and being a wacky comedy, the characters themselves do feel real, if often exasperated for comedy.

Chase going to college probably wont be much better than him being a singer, in a way. He will still be the only real kid around, will probably be taking classes way more advanced than what a 14 year old can handle (especially one who isnt a super genius) and I can pretty easily see him getting really stressed out and upset, but without all the extra income rolling in. I do like that Brooke and Carey are clearly torn between wanting to support Chase, especially if it means keeping him away from creepy industry people, but also knowing that this is going to hurt their own careers, which are only now taking off. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

The movie actually sounded like it could have been pretty good. We've never seen the body swap movie with siblings where there was a big age difference before. Disney Channel had an original movie Wish Upon A Star, but the siblings were only three years apart.

There was also a quite bad independent movie in 2015, My Brother's Shoes. (I found it on a streaming service, either Amazon Prime or Netflix, and found it cringey enough that I fast-forwarded through some obvious parts.) In this one the brothers were not far apart in age; the gimmick was that one was straight and the other gay. And each thought the other had it easier, so poof! (so to speak) -- magically they learn that it's not true. Unfortunately, the movie chose to have them have to deal, not with each other's daily challenges, but with the night that Brother A must perform in a drag contest while Brother B must impregnate his wife. Hilarity does not ensue.

• Love 1

Throughout this season, it always struck me how obviously auto-tuned Chase's songs were.  But I didn't expect the show to make it a plot point.  

I also appreciate how the side characters were allowed to be 3-dimensional.  Streeter wasn't just a kooky manager.  Pat was dealing with her grief in her own way.  Lance wasn't just a kooky ex-boyfriend.

• Love 4
On 3/29/2019 at 2:22 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Pat and Streeter - OMG!

I just cracked up as the gang stood together to watch Chase's performance. Brooke and Lance hold hands. Carey notices and smiles indulgently. Streeter and Pat hold hands. Carey notices and his smile changes to slowly dawning horror.

• Love 3
On 3/30/2019 at 6:00 PM, futurechemist said:

Throughout this season, it always struck me how obviously auto-tuned Chase's songs were.  But I didn't expect the show to make it a plot point.  

I also appreciate how the side characters were allowed to be 3-dimensional.  Streeter wasn't just a kooky manager.  Pat was dealing with her grief in her own way.  Lance wasn't just a kooky ex-boyfriend.

I agree. It was great the way they showed the audience that Streeter is actually quite smart and good at his job, even though he seemed a little out there and silly for most of the series. 

While many of Lance's shoe ideas were kind of stupid, the dry erase one was actually brilliant. It allows for creativity, customization, and you could constantly change it. That would totally appeal to teenagers and kids. 

One of the things that I really enjoyed about this season was how the characters slowly changed over the course of the episodes. I can't wait to see what happens in season 2.

Just binged the series last week (what else are you supposed to do after oral surgery?). I, of course, know nothing about the upcoming season, but it wouldn't surprise me if the celebrity focus shifts from Chase to Pat, now that he's off to NYU and she's got her own talk show. Of course, TV shows about TV shows/personalities are some pretty well-plowed earth, but maybe The Other Two could bring a new slant to it.

Also -- and this comes from the very shallowest end of the pool -- could they bring back Andrew Ridings as Matt, Carey's straight-adjacent roommate? My eyes would appreciate that.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, AllAboutMBTV said:

Also -- and this comes from the very shallowest end of the pool -- could they bring back Andrew Ridings as Matt, Carey's straight-adjacent roommate? My eyes would appreciate that.

I second that thought, and not just for shallow reasons (though I must confess to those as well). That was a complicated dynamic there, something I haven't seen dramatized this way before and which has a sliver of reality in it, however satirically exaggerated (back in grad-school days, I knew straight guys who chose to hang out exclusively with gay guys -- me included -- on what felt an awful lot like dates, and it was hard to sort out everyone's feelings). I think there's more to show and tell there.

• Love 1
On 3/30/2019 at 5:00 PM, futurechemist said:

I think the reason we didn't suspect his badness until now (yes, I just watched the season finale tonight) is that auto-tuning seems to be the sound today's young music listeners want. I.e., it's not just for bad singers anymore. You could have the world's best intonation and the producer would de-tune you just to be able to auto-tune you back, so that you'd have that auto-tune sound that's all the rage.

• Love 1
On 12/12/2019 at 2:20 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Critics' Choice Award nomination!

Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series – Molly Shannon

Never been a Shannon fan. (Except I did like her in Enlightened, the show with Laura Dern that should have had more seasons.) I never thought it took much talent or wit to stumble over a bunch of chairs.

I'm happy for her anyway, but if anyone deserves award nominations, it's the two leads in this show.

• Love 1
On 3/29/2019 at 5:43 PM, tennisgurl said:

Chase going to college probably wont be much better than him being a singer, in a way. He will still be the only real kid around, will probably be taking classes way more advanced than what a 14 year old can handle (especially one who isnt a super genius) and I can pretty easily see him getting really stressed out and upset, but without all the extra income rolling in. I do like that Brooke and Carey are clearly torn between wanting to support Chase, especially if it means keeping him away from creepy industry people, but also knowing that this is going to hurt their own careers, which are only now taking off. 

I'm surprised that neither Streeter nor Brooke thought of pitching Chase's NYU freshman year as a reality series. NYU may have admitted Chase by tweet, but they are not going to comp him the tuition and fees. Someone is going to have to pay for it. 

No, it was renewed before Season 1 ended. I haven't found a definite premiere date for Season 2, but so many links that purported to have the date turned out simply to say they didn't know, I may have given up too soon. The closest I've found to anything definite is "February 2020" on one page, which may be just a guess anyway.

On 4/12/2021 at 8:13 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I just saw that The Other Two is now available on HBO Max so I'm excited to do a S1 rewatch!

And apparently season 2 will be an HBO Max exclusive.

Maybe I was living in a cave back in 2019 when the show premiered but I had no idea it existed until I got a sponsored HBO tweet promoting the second season. I watched the clip then binge watched S1 and just loved the shit out of it! I hadn't laughed that much since the last season of What We Do in the Shadows. Ken Marino is a god. 

That being said, I'd be happy to never see one-note Heidi Gardner on my screen ever again. Glad she was only a guest star in one ep.

The first 2 eps of season 2 were SO good. I actually cried a few times during the 2nd one lol.

Brooke's 'Dead? Dead? Dead.' was amazing. Helene Yorke's face is a treasure.

MORE LANCE PLEASE! I was so happy to see him and I really hope he's in it again.

Also glad Chase is still around. The video revealing his blonde hair was hilarious.

Not sure how I feel about Casey's boyfriend yet. I don't think I like him tbh.

• Love 6
50 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

The first 2 eps of season 2 were SO good. I actually cried a few times during the 2nd one lol.

Brooke's 'Dead? Dead? Dead.' was amazing. Helene Yorke's face is a treasure.

MORE LANCE PLEASE! I was so happy to see him and I really hope he's in it again.

Also glad Chase is still around. The video revealing his blonde hair was hilarious.

It was SO good.  My favorite part was Lance.  Followed closely by the constant repeating of stupid phrases on the talk show.  And then followed closely by the woman on the talk show telling the story about her husband getting cancer and throwing in the part about the car wreck and Molly Shannon telling her that part of the story was useless.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, mbgriffith1 said:

It was SO good.  My favorite part was Lance.  Followed closely by the constant repeating of stupid phrases on the talk show.  And then followed closely by the woman on the talk show telling the story about her husband getting cancer and throwing in the part about the car wreck and Molly Shannon telling her that part of the story was useless.

So much good stuff. Literally every second of this show is my fave part!

• Love 1

Pat mistaking random people she meets at Duane Reade and the bank for celebrities and bringing them on her show is everything.  

I also may have died at Cary thinking he was helping a father adjust to having two gay sons without ever realizing that it was just a gay couple and their trick faking it for money.     

• Love 8
1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

I also may have died at Cary thinking he was helping a father adjust to having two gay sons without ever realizing that it was just a gay couple and their trick faking it for money.     

And in typical fashion for this show, it was still... oddly moving in the end?

• Love 12

This show is so great, I am thrilled that its finally back. It has this great madcap humor that will sometimes lead to some real touching moments, like when Brooke introduced Pat to her super fan after seeing her doing the same thing her mom did when she got to see Rachel Ray, and then the super fan admitting that she used Pat's show to get through tough times. 

I knew that the video launch would be something ridiculous, but the reveal that everything was building up to Chase dying his hair was amazing.

• Love 3
On 8/26/2021 at 4:32 PM, peachmangosteen said:

He's awful.  Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration but it's a terrible relationship.  And the second episode made me really care about how bad they are together cuz...

On 8/27/2021 at 11:40 PM, gesundheit said:

And in typical fashion for this show, it was still... oddly moving in the end?

I think I'd describe it as ....oddly hot in the end.  Because even though the kiss was rather chaste, when Tuc Watkins (gay dad) kissed Carey, I swooned.  It's too bad he has a partner and kids and lives in KS because I found myself thinking Carey needs a daddy

I found the first episode okay but that second episode had me dying.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3

Is Jeremy coming back? I really liked him, and prefer him to Cary’s new boyfriend.

How did Lance become my favorite character on this show? I just love him so much. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 4

In the second episode, I thought it was great that they explained why Carey was trying so hard and from the Dad's perspective, acting so strange. Once the older man got it, he couldn't break Carey's heart with the truth. 

I'm hoping all of Carey's random hosting gigs lead to exposure/more recognition and he can eventually get an audition for the kind of part he wants. 

• Love 4

I did like Brooke scheduling guests on the show as a way to find available men to date.  I also liked her freak out at all the women wanting to know what she did to get the model to be with her. 

I was a little bit bored with Cary's storyline.  I figured that relationship was heading towards a break up, and the whole Property Daddies thing was like a joke that just went on too long.  Though I did enjoy the one guy just snapping his fingers to magically transport them to the other house. 

And as always, Pat is clearly living her best life.  Molly Shannon just reading Brooke's absurd questions for the guests and then surprising people as the fake Times Square janitor was just wonderful. 

• Love 4
On 8/17/2021 at 2:15 PM, Giant Misfit said:

Maybe I was living in a cave back in 2019 when the show premiered but I had no idea it existed until I got a sponsored HBO tweet promoting the second season. I watched the clip then binge watched S1 and just loved the shit out of it!

Random, but the same thing happened to me yesterday! Satan works hard, but HBO's promo department works harder!

I watched a couple of episodes yesterday and it is so good I see myself being all caught up in the next couple of days.

• Love 4

I like the relationship between Carey and Brooke. No matter is happening, they are almost always there for each other. I was hoping Brooke would call Lance after the breakup. Even if they can't work as a romantic couple, maybe they can be friends. 

I'm not sure if these exist in New York City, but it would be great if Chase could get involved in a collab house. It might not make sense for him to live there full time because he's still a young teenager, but maybe he can hang out during the day and work on creative stuff/viral videos. 

Chase is smart. If he isn't actively working on something musical for awhile, he is going to figure out what is happening. At the very least, hire a singing teaching and have him take lessons. The excuse could be some version of: we want to develop your voice/further your range/allow you to sing different styles.  

On 9/5/2021 at 2:06 AM, txhorns79 said:

I was a little bit bored with Cary's storyline.  I figured that relationship was heading towards a break up,

I thought the actor who played his boyfriend did an excellent job in the break-up scene. There were one or two line deliveries where he really sounded like he was choking back tears. And I did like his confusion every time Cary said he didn't want to be a cuddle boy.

• Love 5

Like a lot of these episodes, things get wacky and then thing can often go the other way and become sincere, like when Carrey traveled across town to be with a very lonely Brooke. I also felt bad for Carey's boyfriend, he did seem to be moving a bit fast but he seemed like a nice guy, just not right for Carey. The actor did a really good job in his last scene making cuddle buddies sound so sad. 

I have not thought about Best Week Ever in probably ten years, what a blast from the past reference. I guess now I know what all of those D List pop culture commentators do with their spare time, awkwardly crash the parties of people that pay them $18 for a Cameo message. I loved Brooke giving the lady who held up the call to chit chat with some random friend a smack down, those people are the worst

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

S2E5: The writing of this episode was so clever. First of all, that opening scene was awesome with that fake-out. The Noah Centineo reference made me die 🤣. And the Jesus fucking slays song? And all of this only 3 minutes into the episode. Amazing.  I have to say, Cary's entitlement when it comes to his acting career is a little annoying. Chase's strong stance about  leaving when he found out the Church's stance on the social issues was adorable.

S2E6: I was happy for Brooke making the list. So cute. And it's funny how she continues to be so interested in Alessia Cara when she is a Z-list celebrity at best and a total flop within the music world. Like, Alessia is so not the musician she should be chasing but that is the joke. Cary's stroyline was more annoying than entertaining but I guess they wanted to demonstrate the struggle / the grind actors have to go through. It was really funny in the end when it turned out the manager didn't even read what he sent 😁

• Love 4

Loved S2E05.  The take on Pastor Carl Lentz and Hillsong was perfection! I live in L.A and there's another "church" like that - Oasis and THE OTHER TWO take on that type of church culture is spot on. 

Also, Grindr guy was hot!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

S2E5- I liked that Brooke and Cary still view Chase as a child and do not see him as a responsible young adult. As someone with a significantly older sibling, this part of the relationship felt very real to me. Chase figured out exactly what to do in about five minutes. I expected the episode to go in a different direction. I thought the church was going to be fine and it was just a crazy internet rumor, but I do like that the show gave Chase another opportunity to show what a great person he is despite the craziness around him. 

Cary is so insecure about himself. It's great that he got the confidence boost he needed. It's clear he wants a real serious relationship, but is not ready for marriage yet. I don't know how long before he gets tired of hook-up culture, but I'm guessing it's soon. 

S2E6-I knew Lance's idea for dry erase sneakers was legitimately brilliant, and I'm glad the show realized that too. It's great that Brooke realized she could be friends with Lance and happy for his personal and professional success. I want to see more scenes of Lance, Brooke, and Cary hanging out. Also, I think Cary and Lance hanging out together would be entertaining and is something I want to see.   

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I liked that Brooke and Cary still view Chase as a child and do not see him as a responsible young adult.

Isn't Chase 17 or 18?  I think he just seems mature as compared to his siblings.

It was also a nice callback to have Tuc Watkins actually playing Cary, Brooke and Chase's father in the 2003 flashback.

Also, I could probably watch an episode worth's of scenes of Pat surprising people.  Molly Shannon just seems to be having so much fun with it.

• Love 8

It's just struck me how the last couple of episodes have shown us how utterly run into the ground Brooke is. She is constantly sick from work exhaustion and it's showing in her looks, demeanour and just general feeling of being completely overwhelmed. Yet she actually appears to have far more downtime than Pat, who is constantly working to the point that even her personal events like a family wedding, have become work. And we've seen how her personal interactions with fans are coming at the expense of her getting any sleep. If Brooke is sick from overwork, Pat has to be headed for a massive physical breakdown.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Isn't Chase 17 or 18?  I think he just seems mature as compared to his siblings.

I think there are multiple things happening. Chase may be more mature than his siblings, but I do not think they realize or apperciate that. 

There is a gap of more than 10 years between Chase and his siblings. I think Cary and Brooke also still think of Chase as the little kid they left behind when they moved out for college/to start thier own lives. They probably only saw him a few times a year. I'm not sure they really know him as an actual person. They still think of him as thier little brother who's a child. 

Brooke and Cary are very much a unit and Chase isn't really part of that. I would love to see the three siblings hanging out alone for an extended scene and see what the dynamic is like between the three of them.  

• Love 2
On 9/11/2021 at 1:45 PM, Sarah 103 said:
On 9/10/2021 at 9:33 PM, txhorns79 said:

I think there are multiple things happening. Chase may be more mature than his siblings, but I do not think they realize or apperciate that. 

I thought Chase was about 13 or 14 in the first season so him deciding to go to college was extra silly. Time hasn't moved that much so he can't be more than 16 now, unless the the show has decided to throw in the towel on believability. 

Jesus fucking slays KILLED ME!!! 

• Love 3

He's 18 in this season.  I think he was 15-16 in the first season.

He turned 14 during season one (ep. 8 "Chase Turns Fourteen).  He was accepted into NYU during the S1 finale ("I tweeted at them and they said I can come.") Considering how successful Pat's show is let's say there's been a year jump so he should be 15 this season.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, AngieBee1 said:

Considering how successful Pat's show is let's say there's been a year jump so he should be 15 this season.

Thanks. I could have sworn they referenced him as an 18 year old this season but I may have misheard.

13 hours ago, hatchetgirl said:

I thought Chase was about 13 or 14 in the first season so him deciding to go to college was extra silly. Time hasn't moved that much so he can't be more than 16 now, unless the the show has decided to throw in the towel on believability. 

You are correct I may have had the ages wrong, but I think my point still stands. Chase is now around 16, and we know Brooke just turned 30 or 31. That means that Chase was somewhere around 6, maybe 10 at the most, when both siblings left home for college or to start thier own lives. It doesn't seem like they were going home very often, so they probably only saw him a few times a year.

The maturity difference between someone who's 6 or 10 and someone who's 16 is pretty significant (even if there is a range of maturity levels within 16 year olds.) The last time they had any major day to day interaction with him, he was a little kid. He is no longer a little kid, but Brooke and Cary haven't figured that out yet.

The upside to this is that they still see him as a little sibling who needs to be protected, which is awesome given the craziness around him. The downside is that they do not yet see him an almost fully developed person they could somewhat relate to.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

The upside to this is that they still see him as a little sibling who needs to be protected, which is awesome given the craziness around him. The downside is that they do not yet see him an almost fully developed person they could somewhat relate to.  

Agree. I love that he still needs them and they honestly seem the most normal (they are always shocked but the wackiness his pr team throws at him (like this body cast thing in episode 7)). Sure, they are messy but they do really care about him. 

On the other hand, he's not a fully formed individual yet and his pure naivety shows. When he does speak up like at the church, that's just sweet care for others from him. I love that about him. 

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, hatchetgirl said:

Agree. I love that he still needs them and they honestly seem the most normal (they are always shocked but the wackiness his pr team throws at him (like this body cast thing in episode 7)). Sure, they are messy but they do really care about him. 

What I love about this show is however messed up thier lives are, whatever is going wrong in Brooke's life or in Carey's life, the second they realize there is a problem with Chase they will be there for him and try to help. They pause thier drama/set aside thier own personal crisis to help their little brother. 

• Love 7

Instead of trying to keep Chase away from music, maybe it would be better if they got him a vocal coach to improve on his abilities? He isnt a great singer but he's enthusiastic, so they could at least make him sound more trained, especially if they use a lot of background mixing. It seems like Chace really wants to start singing again even as everyone is trying to get him to do other things. 

The terrible one man show being almost exactly like Carey's horrible script was obvious but hilarious. "I cannot with anymore dead parents."

Love that Chase publicly left the church the second he heard the church was anti gay and anti women, he's just such a purely sweet kid, no matter the craziness around him. As wacky and neurotic as Carey and Brooke are, it is probably to their and Pat's credit that he has managed to stay so grounded after being thrust into the spotlight. 

I am really glad that Lance and Brooke are back to talking again, and that his whiteboard sneakers are taking off. 

"I saw my shut in neighbor on an episode of Ozark!"

• Love 6