Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Heartbreak

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Definitely pushed back. So a perfect time to read a book, take a shower, arrange your sock drawer...

rewind and rewatch Roswell, New Mexico

ETA: (metaphorically rewind)

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Well, I'm annoyed.

I guess I will watch Cavendish and Schitt's Creek on CBC.         

And I bought Nnedi Okorafor's Binti Trilogy today, so I'll read that.

All choices are highly recommended.

But I'm still annoyed.

And worried.

Didn't this happen to another of Nathan's shows over at Fox?

37 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

This isn't the same. EVERYTHING on all channels was preempted for the SOTU.

Except for the CW--which I only mention because it might have lead some to think it was optional to preempt shows.
I don't really know who decides on which networks, and I don't really care. I think I've only watched 3 SOTUAs since they've been aired on TV, LOL.

On 2/6/2019 at 5:04 PM, shapeshifter said:

Except for the CW--which I only mention because it might have lead some to think it was optional to preempt shows.
I don't really know who decides on which networks, and I don't really care. I think I've only watched 3 SOTUAs since they've been aired on TV, LOL.

CW does not have a news division thus  no one stating just how important they are to their boss. Thus there is no push to cancel mere entertainment as the important class tries to force what they think we need instead of letting the politics watcher to go to one of their many outlets to watch.

• Love 2

Nolan's friend/landlord always reminds me of Kevin Spacey.

There was a whole lot of "I don't care" for me in this episode seasoned with an equal amount of heavy eyerolling. 

Spoiler

Jackson being gay

was something I didn't know.  

Spoiler

The dementia patient turning out to be a serial killer

was such an "Oh, pulllease" moment for me my eyes nearly rolled right the hell out of my head. 

And the show really needs to stop pushing Nolan and Chen already. Let it go.

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 2

I'm not sure this is the Valentine's Day Episode?  I just watched it will post on it.  This show should be renewed just because the hour flies by.  Having said that, probably the first show I've watched and most of the way through I don't know most of the characters names and I can't tell a few apart.  Nerdy girl needs to go.  It's just odd when she pops up.

• Love 1

The writers had a field day with this one!

Grey didn't have to leave his wife at the table to give that stupid speech. 
A guy wearing glasses couldn't see he was walking into a glass door?! Same guy missed his date hopping into a bed taking pills. Same guy thinks he still "got it".
Bishop was a little premature with her "She's in shock" line! Did Nolan do the right with live wire around? Poor Denise couldn't change her shirt after leaving the hospital?
Good to know another result of being shocked can turn one into a stalker. On other shows you can gain super speed/powers or listen to peoples' thoughts.
A man goes to the police station to find a hooker and surprised to be turned away.
West and the nurse should be embarrassed to be knocked out by Kevin quickly. Lopez gets her head hit on the wall many times, dropped to the ground and still was able to cuff him.
Good to see Nell back. 

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 5

Glad to see Bradford showing some interest in Sara Rue's character.  Finally a romance on this show I could get behind.

Speaking of: anyone else bummed to find out that the Sergeant's wife = not Amy Brenneman?  However.  She wants him to retire/he doesn't want to go/possible opening for a Judging Amy reunion? (I'll tell you guys right now, I'll never stop hoping -- I kept looking for him when she was in Private Practice!)

So even though it's not on IMDB yet, I recognized Girlfriend's Guide...'s Beau Garrett as Nolan's stalker.  Just by her voice at first.

Second on the Nolan/Chen breakup.  Fer crissakes, it's DEAD.  Pull a sheet over it.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, mxc90 said:

The writers had a field day with this one!

Grey didn't have to leave his wife at the table to give that stupid speech. 
A guy wearing glasses couldn't see he was walking into a glass door?! Same guy missed his date hopping into a bed taking pills. Same guy thinks he still "got it".
Bishop was a little premature with her "She's in shock" line! Did Nolan do the right with live wire around? Poor Denise couldn't change her shirt after leaving the hospital?
Good to know another result of being shocked can turn one into a stalker. On other shows you can gain super speed/powers or listen to peoples' thoughts.
A man goes to the police station to find a hooker and surprised to be turned away.
West and the nurse should be embarrassed to be knocked out by Kevin quickly. Lopez gets her head hit on the wall many times, dropped to the ground and still was able to cuff him.
Good to see Nell back. 

I couldn't believe the choreography Officer Lopez  knows he has a gun while chasing him. But then holsters her pistol to tackle him and go hand to hand.

• Love 2

The plots on this show usually take a left turn into such unbelievable places, I thought maybe the stalker would end up being the serial killer's daughter.

I like takes-himself-too-seriously Tim pairing up with the quirky, sexy librarian/ dispatcher lady. That guy needs to lighten up and his junkie wife, even sober, is a serious wet blanket.

Edited by Soobs
  • Love 9

Well, turns out the kidney incident wasn't Jackson's only secret. Nice job. And cute chat up scene.

Denise had amazing powers of recovery. Out buying muffins within a few hours of cardiac arrest? Logan should definitely be keeping his doors locked.

Glad to see the back of the millennial lawyer. No sense of humour.

Yay Sarah Rue!

• Love 8
5 hours ago, femmefan1946 said:

Well, turns out the kidney incident wasn't Jackson's only secret. Nice job. And cute chat up scene.

Denise had amazing powers of recovery. Out buying muffins within a few hours of cardiac arrest? Logan should definitely be keeping his doors locked.

Glad to see the back of the millennial lawyer. No sense of humour.

Yay Sarah Rue!

I think the culture made that turn over a decade ago and it wasn't a secret, just a confirmation for the audience. His TO certainly didn't bat an eye.

• Love 2

Jackson flirting with the hospital guy is the first glimpse of real character to character chemistry I've seen on this show.  That is a relationship I will support! 

Someone explain this to me... Denise, being saved by Nolan, is obsessed with Nolan.  Stalks him at the police station with a basket of muffins, is rejected.  Then somehow finds out where he lives - even though he's crashing at a friend's house - figures out who the house owning friend is, somehow figures how to stalk the friend at the grocery store at just the right moment to get herself invited back to the house on Valentine's Day, all the while carrying enough whatever pills on her to overdose in Nolan's bed???  All in a matter of hours.  huh?  what? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 18
44 minutes ago, chaifan said:

Someone explain this to me... Denise, being saved by Nolan, is obsessed with Nolan.  Stalks him at the police station with a basket of muffins, is rejected.  Then somehow finds out where he lives - even though he's crashing at a friend's house - figures out who the house owning friend is, somehow figures how to stalk the friend at the grocery store at just the right moment to get herself invited back to the house on Valentine's Day, all the while carrying enough whatever pills on her to overdose in Nolan's bed???  All in a matter of hours.  huh?  what? 

The magic of television and questionable writers.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

Sgt. Grey is a jerk and I admit, if I saw my husband do that, I would have yelled at him. There was no need to do that and I bet they didn't even know he was there until they saw him walking towards him. 

Who still thought West being gay was still going to happen, I admit, I thought it was possible. 

It was still wrong to go through the lawyer's phone but if he's telling the truth then he could have just told her at the beginning that he is seeing his stepmom even though I realize somethings are just not your business.  

I thought some of the stuff was a bit silly too and West should have called for help and not go in the room but then we wouldn't have Chen being choked and then apprehending the killer. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, chaifan said:

I decided to watch this instead of New Amsterdam, which I gave up on because the medical crap was so unrealistic. I know this isn't supposed to be a medical show, but once again Hollywood botched a rescue and resuscitation big time. I knew two girls in high school who had a downed power line fall on their car. One died and the other one needed to have her arm and leg amputated. Having nothing more than a small burn mark on her shirt was beyond ridiculous. The only thing that would have restarted her heart would have been defibrillation, not 10 quick chest compressions. She would have spent weeks, if not months, in the hospital recovering from her burns. Then she recovers from a deliberate overdose instantaneously, too . Sorry, but I need more reality in my fiction.

• Love 8

Even this typically silly episode was entertaining. 

I root for Bradford and Sara Rue's character even more than I do for Bradford and Chen.  I'd have loved to see Rue do a Cinderella at the ball scene, where she dolls up and "impresses" Bradford.  I'm sure they're saving that for later.

I'm hoping Nolan and his college roomie have a reminiscing road trip, although they may not have time in what's shaping up to be the first and only season...sigh.  

I could care less about most of the other story lines.  In the real world, the DA would definitely tell Lopez who his date was.  The aging serial killer  overcoming 2 cops and a young nurse made me want to throw something at the TV.  But I think the stalker was believable (LOL), having read some interesting stories about stalkers and their amazing ability to study their victims.

I agree that this show doesn't care one whit about medical accuracy.

It was something to watch while brushing my teeth for bed, so I was happy.

Edited by TWP
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, femmefan1946 said:

I never thought about whether or not Jackson was gay, but the instant he talked to the cute nurse I was like "hell yes, they'd make a really cute couple."

5 hours ago, chaifan said:

Jackson flirting with the hospital guy is the first glimpse of real character to character chemistry I've seen on this show.  That is a relationship I will support!

Me too! And you are so right about the chemistry. It was great.

1 hour ago, TWP said:

I root for Bradford and Sara Rue's character even more than I do for Bradford and Chen.  I'd have loved to see Rue do a Cinderella at the ball scene, where she dolls up and "impresses" Bradford.  I'm sure they're saving that for later.

I'm hoping Nolan and his college roomie have a reminiscing road trip, although they may not have time in what's shaping up to be the first and only season...sigh.  

I could care less about most of the other story lines.  In the real world, the DA would definitely tell Lopez who his date was.  The aging serial killer  overcoming 2 cops and a young nurse made me want to throw something at the TV.  But I think the stalker was believable (LOL), having read some interesting stories about stalkers and their amazing ability to study their victims.

I like the idea of Bradford and Rue as well (even sober, I didn't care much for the wife).

As for the serial killer, it was more that somehow he fit in that fine young, and slender man's scrubs that made me laugh. My old man, a mean old buzzard, had dementia and was amazingly strong and physically aggressive (fought a police officer, actually) - so that I bought...sort of. As I used to tell people who claim they love old people - old doesn't make people nice, and neither does dementia. If they were evil before, they're still evil in a wrinkly, sagging, package.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
51 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

As for the serial killer, it was more that somehow he fit in that fine young, and slender man's scrubs that made me laugh.

Thanks. That scene made me question if the scrubs were one size fits all.

I'm sure West didn't object to Lopez' order to stay with the nurse (already half dressed).

6 hours ago, chaifan said:

Electricity made her clairvoyant or there are deleted scenes of her paying Chen for information.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I knew that West was gay from that episode where West lectures that young gay guy that tried to kill his father, then his boyfriend also tried to kill his father. I don't remember what was said, but I am sure it was said. Or maybe it was that time Nolan, Chen and West were all talking at the beach.

Edited by AnimeMania
additional guesses
  • Love 3
On 2/12/2019 at 11:12 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Since it was said this is listed as another title, I checked: Apparently, this is indeed "Heartbreak" and "Caught Stealing" has been moved to next week. Must have been a recent switch. Carry on!

I'm kind of glad. The whole "is this the week everyone finds out about Nolan and Chen?" crap is tiring. Plus, Valentine's Day episode should air close to the actual day.

10 hours ago, TWP said:

Even this typically silly episode was entertaining. 

Denise the stalker had a lot of inconsistencies, but it's not like they could tell that story over weeks, so I can cut that some slack.

John Billingsley is now the go-to actor for serial killers, I guess. As dumb as it is for him to take out the nurse and the cop, it's even dumber that Lopez was the one who was able to subdue him, considering the size disadvantage and the fact he seemed to give her a concussion.

It appears that Bradford exclusively dates women who were previously on the show Impastor.

• Love 4

Well, since this episode was supposed to air after the one we will see next week, I guess we don't have to be worried

Spoiler

that anyone gets in trouble as a result of the polygraph scene they show in the previews.*

Tim can be kind of a jerk but I appreciate his honesty with Nelle? (Sara Rue's character).  He flirted with her to his advantage during that competition but at the end was honest and told her about his situation.  He knows she likes him so I appreciated him making it clear that this was a platonic drink.  I also like it being clear that he wasn't intending to use her as a rebound after his bad day.

*Not sure what the spoiler policy is regarding previews.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Mrs. Stanwyck said:

Tim can be kind of a jerk but I appreciate his honesty with Nelle? (Sara Rue's character).  He flirted with her to his advantage during that competition but at the end was honest and told her about his situation.  He knows she likes him so I appreciated him making it clear that this was a platonic drink.  I also like it being clear that he wasn't intending to use her as a rebound after his bad day.

Bradford was certainly less dickish that he has been all season. The thing that didn't ring true about the scene b/w Bradford and wife was that he seemed surprised that she was "making amends." That's pretty much standard procedure for AA or NA. Given that he's been a patrol officer long enough to be TO for Bishop, he must have had experiences w/ cops going through the 12 steps. So many cops go through the program.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

Bradford was certainly less dickish that he has been all season. The thing that didn't ring true about the scene b/w Bradford and wife was that he seemed surprised that she was "making amends." That's pretty much standard procedure for AA or NA. Given that he's been a patrol officer long enough to be TO for Bishop, he must have had experiences w/ cops going through the 12 steps. So many cops go through the program.

I took it to be more that he didn't agree with the step and thought it was unnecessary and kind of dumb, versus that he'd never had experience with it.

• Love 3
On 2/13/2019 at 3:31 PM, Clanstarling said:

As for the serial killer, it was more that somehow he fit in that fine young, and slender man's scrubs that made me laugh. My old man, a mean old buzzard, had dementia and was amazingly strong and physically aggressive (fought a police officer, actually) - so that I bought...sort of. As I used to tell people who claim they love old people - old doesn't make people nice, and neither does dementia. If they were evil before, they're still evil in a wrinkly, sagging, package.

Yes, I 100% bought the dementia-riddled serial killer.  I have my own severe dementia patient who was always shockingly self-centered and entitled and is still shockingly self-centered and entitled.  If something is ingrained, it doesn't require good cognitive abilities to maintain.  It's becomes rote. So, yep, bad behavior hangs around into the golden years even with brain disease and maybe becomes worse as inhibitions decline.  However I think for many people, age brings less expectation, less judgment, more go with the flow.  Thus, I still love "old people" in general, serial killers, narcissists and "mean old buzzards" aside.

Full disclosure: I am past the favored demographic age range myself, so judge my own "old person" status as you wish.

But the magic this show brings in details like the shrinking/stretching scrubs is down right comical.  Is it intentional?  I guess I prefer this kind of magic over the extraordinary continuity issues in Castle.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, TWP said:

Yes, I 100% bought the dementia-riddled serial killer.  I have my own severe dementia patient who was always shockingly self-centered and entitled and is still shockingly self-centered and entitled.  If something is ingrained, it doesn't require good cognitive abilities to maintain.  It's becomes rote. So, yep, bad behavior hangs around into the golden years even with brain disease and maybe becomes worse as inhibitions decline.  However I think for many people, age brings less expectation, less judgment, more go with the flow.  Thus, I still love "old people" in general, serial killers, narcissists and "mean old buzzards" aside.

Full disclosure: I am past the favored demographic age range myself, so judge my own "old person" status as you wish.

But the magic this show brings in details like the shrinking/stretching scrubs is down right comical.  Is it intentional?  I guess I prefer this kind of magic over the extraordinary continuity issues in Castle.

My experience hasn't been as positive is yours - but my sample size is much smaller, so I am glad to hear that on average, people improve. I am definitely am in the "old person" status myself, and I guess age has softened me a bit when it comes to expectations. Still working on judgment and going with the flow. 🙂

I don't tend to love, or hate, groups in general (I might have a touch of that mean old bastard in me).

Dementia sucks. Serial killer or not, though maybe they don't feel much remorse even when they don't remember.  But justice for the poor victims may be harder to come by in such cases depending on the evidence.  Not sure I've read of any real life cases of serial killers with dementia but the writers must have pulled it from somewhere....

Stalking also sucks but yes I did feel a tinge of sympathy for the poor woman given the dead husband and stalking aside, I thought she actually had decent chemistry with Nolan.  A bit farfetched that she could track down the friend and definitely a bit much that they used her to signal Nolan/Chen were in love from that random tete a tete..  The actress was giving me Julia Roberts vibes.

Thought West was possibly gay after that earlier episode and glad they didn't make a big deal out of it this episode.  Cute with the hospital guy. Wonder if they will make his sexuality a storyline within the LAPD down the line or make it a non issue.  I'm guessing non issue but I'm also not sure if that's how it works in reality also even in this day and age.

Lopez and lawyer were predictable. Knew Melanie would turn out to be a non date and this won't be the end of lawyer guy.

Bradford ending things with the wife just like that felt a bit abrupt and was a bit surprising to me. I wasn't sure it necessarily rang true for the characters. Felt more like the writers wanted to bring this storyline to a close for now (which is a good thing imo).

Bishop's dress when she turned up at the party was da bomb. Loved it.  Figured she had a messy family/personal life but didn't see the affair with married man coming.

Haven't been much excited by Nolan's wardrobe tbh. Does the man own anything other than plaid? It's this show's equivalent of Castle's button downs.  And when I think Nolan looks best in uniform rather than anything else the costume designer has come up with so far. 

I wanted to know about the Captain's V-day plans. She was a bit left out this episode.

Show is still entertaining with a good cast. It'll be too bad if it's cancelled. 

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

Thought West was possibly gay after that earlier episode and glad they didn't make a big deal out of it this episode.  Cute with the hospital guy. Wonder if they will make his sexuality a storyline within the LAPD down the line or make it a non issue.  I'm guessing non issue but I'm also not sure if that's how it works in reality also even in this day and age.

For more than a decade from the modern day Jack Webb/Hill Street Blues in realism Southland to the fantastic SWAT on the air now gay cops in the LAPD has been a matter of fact that is rarely given any notice. About the last time I have seen it matter was on The Wire when the most feared thief on the street was gay and one of the police commanders was still in the closet but when others found out it still was no big deal.

The LAPD retiree who posted on the Southland board said that the gay character there was based upon an officer he knew and faced no issues. Don't ask, don't tell was over 25 years ago. And police officers don't live together in barrcks like junior enlisted servicemen do.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

Sgt. Grey telling them to leave a RESTAURANT because he was there, too, just pissed me off. I mean, they were far away. He couldn't hear them, and if he kept his eyes on his wife, wouldn't see them, either.

I hope it's not the end of lawyer guy. But yeah, using your badge to be able to snoop the phone of a guy who goes after cops who abuse their power, probably wasn't the best move.

Yeah, Grey pissed me off there. That was definitely overreach.

As for the phone - cop or not, it's an idiotic thing to do. Well, at least to admit to doing it. If you're going to do something like that, don't give it away immediately. 😉

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
On 2/17/2019 at 4:51 AM, SweetTooth said:

Sgt. Grey telling them to leave a RESTAURANT because he was there, too, just pissed me off.

They should have sent him a bottle of champagne... and then breathalyzed him on his way home.  No, Fuck You, Sergeant! 

• Love 1

I really enjoy this show.  It hits a sweet spot for me.  I like the work-a-day approach it takes in regards policing.  Also I like the lighter tone.

I had to laugh at how good Bradford's wife looks.  I mean she's been a hard core heroine addict for how long?  And yet, a few weeks in rehab and she looks fresh as a daisy.  They didn't even make the effort to even give her bad skin.  LOL.

The actress who played Nolan's stalker has been on several shows I've seen before and I never really liked any of her characters.  Her streak with me remains intact.

Liked the smallish glimpse we got of Talia's personal life.  Oooh messy!  I loved her showing up at Nolan's sad little party.  Her outfit was bangin'

Grey's jerk meter was set to high.  I did like how his wife stated her desire for him to retire and instead of making a big pissy issue out of it when he said he didn't want to she conceded only to reserve the right to bring it u again in the future.  It was a nice bit of married people byplay that indicates a pretty healthy marriage.  I also love their February the 13th rule,  Makes a lot of sense really.

• Love 5
On 2/16/2019 at 12:31 PM, madmaverick said:

Bradford ending things with the wife just like that felt a bit abrupt and was a bit surprising to me. I wasn't sure it necessarily rang true for the characters. Felt more like the writers wanted to bring this storyline to a close for now (which is a good thing imo).

IMO it makes sense, if only because to date, we have seen all the effort being on his end. He has been chasing her, making excuses for her, begging her, you name it, to no avail. Now he's stopped, and what happens in the future is really a case of the ball being in her court now. She needs to make some effort to win him back, show she cares about him as much as he's cared about her, etc. If she can't or doesn't want to do that, then it's best for both they move on.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

IMO it makes sense, if only because to date, we have seen all the effort being on his end. He has been chasing her, making excuses for her, begging her, you name it, to no avail. Now he's stopped, and what happens in the future is really a case of the ball being in her court now. She needs to make some effort to win him back, show she cares about him as much as he's cared about her, etc. If she can't or doesn't want to do that, then it's best for both they move on.

Since she claimed the strain trying to live up to his expectations (or example, I forget) was part of how she traveled down that path, I can see that he would want to end things for her sake, if not for his own. I think going back into essentially the same environment would not be great for either of them. So I think it's best they part.

• Love 3
On 2/12/2019 at 8:08 PM, mxc90 said:

I think Nolan would have been shocked as well.  There was a story about a man who was killed by a downed power line and his wife went to check on him and was killed by the electricity still in his body.  I'm not sure, but I think one more other person also got zapped.

On 2/18/2019 at 11:44 AM, SweetTooth said:

And then felt the need to call him out publicly after the guy did his job and rescued a woman from a belligerent and violent man.

It looked like the guy was trying to date rape the woman -- she accused him of putting something in her drink.

• Love 1
On 2/17/2019 at 9:32 AM, Clanstarling said:
On 2/17/2019 at 3:51 AM, SweetTooth said:

Sgt. Grey telling them to leave a RESTAURANT because he was there, too, just pissed me off. I mean, they were far away. He couldn't hear them, and if he kept his eyes on his wife, wouldn't see them, either.

I hope it's not the end of lawyer guy. But yeah, using your badge to be able to snoop the phone of a guy who goes after cops who abuse their power, probably wasn't the best move.

Yeah, Grey pissed me off there. That was definitely overreach.

On 2/18/2019 at 2:44 PM, SweetTooth said:

And then felt the need to call him out publicly after the guy did his job and rescued a woman from a belligerent and violent man. 

On 2/19/2019 at 3:28 PM, jhlipton said:

It looked like the guy was trying to date rape the woman -- she accused him of putting something in her drink.

And why should Nolan have to apologize for arresting someone at the bar?  Should he have just let him commit his crime?

On 2/13/2019 at 12:54 PM, chaifan said:

Then somehow finds out where he lives - even though he's crashing at a friend's house

And now that's the second person who's done that.  Did we ever find out how the homicidal brother of the criminal Nolan shot figured out where he lived?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
22 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

Oh, I thought he was trying to buy her a drink, and she kept saying she didn't want one, so Nolan stepped in, he said for him to get his own girl and started getting physical. so that's why Nolan arrested him.

I don't think he had slipped something in her drink, since that would have been a clear crime, and the others wouldn't have just wanted to walk on by.

I just rewatched and you're right.  She didn't say anything about him putting something in the drink.

Grey could have given the squad the "Feb 13th" speech in the morning, letting them know where not to be.  Moreover, the TAs would have told the boots "Don't be at [x] restaurant tonight."  But PLOTTTT!!!!

I would tend to give some slack to the show for what is basically a pre-credits scene. They wanted to set up Grey's relationship with his wife and you have to give exposition to someone. Could that have been written better? Sure, but the TV landscape is littered with meticulously written dramas that were cancelled anyway.

• Love 1