Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Twelve Seconds

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

One of my closest friends is a doctor and there are very few medical shows she can watch because of that (basically it was Call the Midwife, which she says is surprisingly accurate and, when it was on, House because it was so far out of reality that she didn't even see it as medicine).

I do think the difference here, though, is that this particular show is championing itself as some sort of mouthpiece for mental health awareness.  They have PSA's about it, they post about it constantly on social media, and they clearly do not know a fucking thing about it.  I think if this had just been a side plot and Nash had stopped pretending he was the savior of those with depression, it would just be another eye-roller for me.  But that's not the case and that is why it is pissing me off.

True, of course, ER also touted the show's ability to bring the latest medical stories and treatments to the public, too.  Not so much.  And, your friend is right about Call the Midwife.  I've delivered thousands of kids and that show does an excellent job including using actual newborn babies instead of dolls or 13 lb 'newborns' like most shows. And the women generally look like they've just given birth without stopping at the salon on the way to the delivery room. It has gotten a little preachy about some of the public health stuff, but its heart is in the right place, too.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I actually didn't know that Bronson Pinchot was in BHC (I don't think I've actually seen it), but I did know that Martin Short was in Father of the Bride.  I just made that connection because Pinchot's over the top performance in this episode was so reminiscent of Short's (which was then original) performance in FotB.  And both characters were wedding planners (or something like that.  I'm not exactly sure what Berge's job was supposed to be).

It was very reminiscent of Short in FotB and Pinochet’s BHC character was named Serge. They didn’t really stretch themselves to come up with Berge.

I looked at the transcript to try and figure out what was going on in that scene. It appears that Berge was the wedding photographer when Rome and Regina got married 4 years ago and Regina was trying to finalize their wedding album. Still seems completely random and pointless. 

Edited by Guest
Just now, Dani said:

It was very reminiscent of Short in FotB and Pinochet’s BHC character was named Serge. They didn’t really stretch themselves to come up with Berge.

I looked at the transcript to try and figure out what was going on in that scene. It appears that Berge was the wedding photographer when Rome and Regina got married 4 years ago and Regina was trying to finalize there wedding album. Still seems completely random and pointless. 

Yeah, who waits for *4 years* for their wedding photos?  Is Pinchot a friend of Nash's and Nash decided to just shoehorn him in?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, doodlebug said:

True, they do need to focus on themselves as long as that focus is on their overall health and well being.  I think Regina felt that Rome stopped his meds at least in part for her, because he didn't want her to have to forego a sex life just because he was depressed. I believe that Rome felt he had failed Regina because he was on the meds, not because he'd stopped them.  I think it was healthy and absolutely caring for Regina to point out to him that she was concerned, that she thought he perhaps should consult with a doctor and then maybe resume medication.  That is the best approach to the problem that Rome was having; stopping his medication cold turkey was not.  As a loving partner, Regina was just reminding him that their sex life wasn't more important than his overall health and happiness.

I guess we saw things differently. Maybe it was the delivery. I did not see Regina being caring first. I saw her being demanding first. But we shall see how the writers move on this issue.

3 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Sexual dysfunction is a side effect of SSRI's for *some* people.  Also, the kind of sexual dysfunction varies among different forms of SSRI.  Rome was on citalopram, which is a newer drug and the rate for sexual dysfunction with that particular drug is less than 30% and that includes all forms of dysfunction, not just impotence.

Exactly,  This is what the show has told us:

1 - If you take anti-depressants, you won't be able to have sex and you won't feel like yourself.

2 - Your loved ones are willing to give up sex so that you won't kill yourself.

I am honestly shocked that mental health advocacy groups haven't spoken out about it.  Maybe they all gave up on this show too early in the season, ha!

I know.  All the different anti-depressants have different side-effects.  I was very lucky, first in that my depression is fairly mild, and second that my doctors found a prescription that keeps it at bay without making me feel like a zombie (as one med did).  My friend went through about 30 years(!!!) of trying different meds before she found one that works (mostly) for her.  She still has trying days, and sometimes weeks, but she is 1000% better than she was when we first met.  She doesn't think she's a superhero, but I do.

1 -- it depends on the med and the person. There was one (I forget which one) where I absolutely didn't feel like myself.  But now I feel more like myself than I did without the meds.

2 -- I think this one is accurate -- if you're in a loving relationship, the other person's health comes way before your desires.

5 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

I know.  All the different anti-depressants have different side-effects.  I was very lucky, first in that my depression is fairly mild, and second that my doctors found a prescription that keeps it at bay without making me feel like a zombie (as one med did).  My friend went through about 30 years(!!!) of trying different meds before she found one that works (mostly) for her.  She still has trying days, and sometimes weeks, but she is 1000% better than she was when we first met.  She doesn't think she's a superhero, but I do.

1 -- it depends on the med and the person. There was one (I forget which one) where I absolutely didn't feel like myself.  But now I feel more like myself than I did without the meds.

2 -- I think this one is accurate -- if you're in a loving relationship, the other person's health comes way before your desires.

This is where I'm coming with this.  If I'm a person who is suffering from undiagnosed depression and I hear that there is a show o TV with a character "like me" and I watched this, there is no way (at this point in the series) I would ever seek help.  Nash has gone out of his way to illustrate all the drawbacks, but he doesn't put those in context or present them in a way that shows the danger of things like suddenly going off your meds without talking to your doctor.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

This is where I'm coming with this.  If I'm a person who is suffering from undiagnosed depression and I hear that there is a show o TV with a character "like me" and I watched this, there is no way (at this point in the series) I would ever seek help.  Nash has gone out of his way to illustrate all the drawbacks, but he doesn't put those in context or present them in a way that shows the danger of things like suddenly going off your meds without talking to your doctor.

This is why I really think we need to see Rome and Regina in a session with a therapist (not Maggie). Everything that Rome has done has been about trying to find a quick fix; talking to Maggie, quitting his job, taking meds, and going off is meds. He keeps making a decision and then looking around and going “well that didn’t work, now what”. Without showing a therapist pointing out the problem it makes it appear that there is no good solution which is the last message this show should be sending. 

I have been fed up with this entire storyline ever since Rome and Regina tried to make Maggie responsible for Rome’s mental health. 

11 hours ago, Dani said:

This is why I really think we need to see Rome and Regina in a session with a therapist (not Maggie). Everything that Rome has done has been about trying to find a quick fix; talking to Maggie, quitting his job, taking meds, and going off is meds. He keeps making a decision and then looking around and going “well that didn’t work, now what”. Without showing a therapist pointing out the problem it makes it appear that there is no good solution which is the last message this show should be sending. 

I have been fed up with this entire storyline ever since Rome and Regina tried to make Maggie responsible for Rome’s mental health. 

I thought having a "friend" acquaintance and someone fighting/experiencing cancer be Romes choice, was the first sign the show wasn't serious about the suicide prevention.  Having Rome try is one thing, being clueless along with his wife at the absurdity is another. My daughter is dealing with low level to worsening depression in the winter, loves a friend who is a psychologist but he wont take her as a client. They should use his kind explanation to her in the show. Others have mentioned the misinformation about meds, I don't understand the lack of medical knowledge in 2019. The critics that say, it's a TV show, fine, than don't pretend in interviews , you are about helping others going through the same thing. Even ER back in the day, original L&O, all tried to get laws and procedures correct. Sure they had mistakes,  but they tried to keep up on medical advances and laws most of the time. It really doesn't take much effort.

I feel like others, the mystery and clues became bigger than anticipated and a little like TIU with Jack. Now that show is better and I hope the same happens to this show after Barbara is fleshed out and over. That should be end of the season according to Nash's latest updates. I just wonder what is left if everything is that?

He mentioned Sophie and the baby but that is lame compared to other things. He has to make Sophie a real person who has more than a bad driving lesson once in a while. I don't know why the interviewer thought the son wouldn't care about the baby or who is dad?

When are you going to break my heart and have Sophie find out?
Nash: I am not at liberty to say. That is going to be really, really difficult. As Delilah realizes, [Sophie] just lost her dad and she cannot lose her mom. She cannot lose her mom. If Sophie learns the truth, the fear is that Delilah will lose her and it is ever present.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

It's funny because when Eddie told Theo that there was nothing more important than him, I could kind of believe it....y'know, if I forget the pilot where Eddie was going to leave his kid for his mistress. But when Delilah says something on the same veins about her kids, I don't really believe it. Maybe it's because the actress isn't good or it's because of Delilah's actions being about herself. Or maybe I'm projecting my dislike of Delilah onto all of her actions.

Yes, Katherine! You go get Hunter! And Katherine's other coworker calling her a catch? Oh yeah! I'm glad for the Katherine love, and I love that the show has strayed away from Eddie badmouthing Katherine in the pilot to make her likable. 

I can't take Eddie's flip flopping, between his sad doe eyes at Delilah and his sad doe eyes at Katherine, depending on the episode. If they started the series with the two wanting to get divorced, no affair involved, then I'd feel more sympathetic to his reaction when he realized Katherine had a man over.

Shouldn't they have been more worried when Ashley called Gary to say goodbye? Uh, hello, you just had your best friend kill himself a few months ago, had your other best friend almost kill himself, and now you have your other friend calling to say goodbye due to her guilt over Jon. Can you at least PRETEND that you thought that suicide could come in threes and maybe look a tiny bit concerned?? 

So, Rome does, indeed, go off his meds...without consulting an actual doctor to see if maybe there are other antidepressants that can help? Ooooohhhkay, show. 

• Love 2