Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: On the Prowl

• Start Topic

What is Biddell's problem with Dmitry?  He's always taking digs.  And what is Ann's problem with green?  Two weeks in a row she says no to green.  (Seriously, it's not the green that's the problem with Django's designs.)  Not to mention, do All-Stars really need a "mentor"?

Edited by Fellaway
  • Love 18
4 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I guess "green" doesn't read "runway fashion" to HER. Like, it's a personal distaste, as brown is for me. But that's not pertinent to an objective critique.

Agreed.  I love all colors, though, of course, certain shades of those colors can be bad.  You have to have an eye for that.  But there's potential in every color, Ann, so shut it.

You, too, Michelle and Anthony Ryan.  Neither of you have room to talk.

• Love 11
54 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

What is Biddell's problem with Dmitry?  He's always taking digs.  And what is Ann's problem with green?  Two weeks in a row she says no to green.  (Seriously, it's not the green that's the problem with Django's designs.)  Not to mention, do All-Stars really need a "mentor"?

Maybe it's because in the first episode he went all fanboy and Dmitry didnt give him a second thought. But I could be wrong. He seemed to really like him at first. 

• Love 6

1.  Jaguar woman - NOW THAT was freaking DATED.  80s and early 90s - but in a very bad way.  I couldn't stand the taste of it!

2.  Crocodile woman - I really really really liked it.  I thought it was so intelligent.  I didn't find it of any date, maayyyyybe 90s?  It was so weird it was out of time.  It actually made me think.

I didn't think Sean's was bad.  I thought it was kind of hot.  The model sold it.  I'm glad he wasn't kicked off.

I didn't mind Django and I like his personality.  I mean, I'd buy that dress, but I'm easy for anything green.

51 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Who are these judges?? I can remember when the term Supermodel actually meant something and there were about 5 in the world and you knew who they were. Every model seems to be labeled Supermodel now, making the term meaningless.

I would agree with you if it was just any model, but this is Joan Smalls.  She has certainly earned the title of Supermodel in the new era.  It's like her, Karlie Kloss, and a handful of others.  To me, Joan Smalls is extremely famous.  Extremely.  But I was big paying attention to fashion in the 2000s.  Not so much these days.

41 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Joan Smalls comes by the label "Super-Model" honestly:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Smalls

Absolutely.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

Such a tired premise. Be inspired by an animal but don’t actually require them to meet that challenge. These judges are such pretentious pieces of sh.. . Just let them make what they want, be inspired by who ever floats  their boat and go from there. 

The entire Michelle Dimitry issue is ridiculous. None of these people are truly innovative so similar silhouettes will abound.

• Love 8

I thought Anne was suppose to be helpful, she’s like a black cloud whenever she walks into the room. Where’s Tim Gunn when you need him? 

There is nothing wrong with green but I didn’t see lion in Django’s design. I liked Sean and Michelle’s designs better. Glad Michelle won. I doubt she memorized every dress Dmitri made in the past just to copy it.

I knew who Joan Smalls was right away, she is a very famous model. I’ll give Alyssa props this week for being so calm having that big snake coiled around her neck. 

• Love 14

Awwwwww, Juli.  I'm sorry you're gone.  I loved your personality and I could listen to you say, "Cheeky Monkey" for hours and still be tickled.

I cannot stand Michele and I'm pissed that they gave her a win.  Of those top 3, I thought it should've been Anthony Ryan all day.  But then, I would've put Sean in the top.  I don't even like Sean and it's the second week in a row that he created something I loved.  I adore Dmitry but that peasant look is getting old.  

Django.  Heh.  I am living for his Anne disdain---I share it with him.

• Love 24

Anthony Ryan's reminded me of the World Trade Center, not an owl.

2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

1.  Jaguar woman - NOW THAT was freaking DATED.  80s and early 90s - but in a very bad way.  I couldn't stand the taste of it!

I loved it, lol, and would have made it the winner.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 6

Georgina, it's "crotch", not "crutch".

Can anyone explain "The bra showing underneath makes up for the neckline"?

Alyssa, if you're going to wear a fake braid, could it at least be sleek?  And what the hell was with that dress? 

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I think she meant the demure neckline was balanced by the raciness of having a bra showing.  That's what I got from it.  

• Love 14

I guess none of the judges mentioned that Michelle's dress had sheer cutouts that let us see the model's ass and thong because the outfit was suppose to be for a wild night?

I loved Cynthia's leather jaguar dress because it was sleek and sexy like a jaguar but not a literal interpretation of her animal.

The buns on Sean's model were a little too on the nose for his giraffe inspiration. I didn't love or hate his checked jumpsuit. It was...fine. I didn't find it amazing or hideous. I wasn't crazy about the mock turtleneck, which made it look dated to me.

Anya's parakeet design looked like pajamas - it was a silky nightie and a robe.

Christina's alligator dress was fun. I liked that you could see the alligator inspiration but it wasn't too obvious. I didn't love the gold sleeves though. Whenever I see those, I think of Mimi's costume in Rent.

Django's look had NOTHING to do with a lion. It looked like something a six year old made with a bed sheet and a belt. There was nothing good about that at all. I would have sent him home instead of Juli.

Dmity's ruffled dress looked like what a hipster girl would wear to a Renaissance fair ("it's off the shoulder and it has ruffles like an old timey bar wench!"), but of course with that goth twist because it wouldn't be Dmitry without black, velvet, or something that looks like it belongs on an ice skating costume.

Irina's wallaby look was ugly and unflattering. I did not understand how she thought that shapeless mustard yellow poncho that flared out was "fun," "sleek," or "sexy."

Juli's little black dress looked like a cheap club dress you would have found at Wet Seal circa 2000. The only thing I liked was the pleated part on the front of the skirt. The patches of pale pink frayed silk on the side made no sense to me.

The curves on the front of Evan's dress reminded me of what Cynthia did last week for the corset challenge (as did the cut out brown sections).

I didn't understand why so many of the judges loved Anthony Ryan's owl look. I liked that the fabric he chose evoked a sense of feathers, but this did not look like a wild night out kind of outfit at all. It was a sheer tunic over white pants.

• Love 14

What the fuck, Anne, what the fuck. Is her role as mentor to make everybody question their vision and shit themselves? Gah. If I were in the workroom she would give me nervous diarrhea. Not helpful, Anne. Not helpful.

This was my favourite panel of judges so far this season. They were thoughtful and generous and open-minded. Delightful. I care so much about this show. It gives me such a thrill. It is so exciting to see these creative minds given this chance to show their stuff. I love love love it.

What was Georgina wearing? I wanted her to stand up and spin so I could really see it. What I could see of it looked stunning.

What was Alyssa wearing? Yikes.

Next week Wendy Williams. Nooooooooooooooo.

2 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I didn't understand why so many of the judges loved Anthony Ryan's owl look. I liked that the fabric he chose evoked a sense of feathers, but this did not look like a wild night out kind of outfit at all. It was a sheer tunic over white pants.

Yes, exactly.

I liked Anthony's look (minus the terrible red necklace) but I agree that it did not look like "a wild night out" at all. It looked very Golden Girls, in a good way, but still.

• Love 7

On a shallow note, I hated those huge fake eyelashes that Michelle was wearing. They were so thick and long and fake looking that they looked like they should have been on a drag queen (who surely would have rocked them, unlike Michelle).

I also hated the French braid that Georgina had.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, GaT said:

I used to live right near Turtle Back zoo, I haven't thought of it in years.

I went to that zoo as a little little kid with my parents; looked it up and was surprised we drove an hour to get there. I had thought it was a little local zoo!

9 hours ago, Lemons said:

I thought Anthony’s looked like an Eileen Fisher outfit.  Good quality, well done but not high fashion.  

Honestly it did evoke high fashion to me, like Haider Ackermann or something.

ar2.jpg    haider-2.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6

I see no similarities between those two except they are both pants and the model has her hand in a pocket. Anthony Ryan loves his pants and sporty tops. It's fine and fun, but it's not fashion.

I find myself really struggling this season because it was filmed in 2017, so what was trending then is looking dated now. 

I hated that Michelle won for what was essentially a Dmitry dress. Sure, he doesn't own the technique, but when even the judges think it's not your work, that's an issue.

How is Anya skating by?

• Love 20

I really don't think Michelle's dress deserved a win.  Her trying to link geometric shapes to porcupine quills was really weak.  As someone said above, the judges didn't try to enforce the theme this week at all.  If they had, the alligator dress should have won.  It has aspects of the actual animal in it adapted into the design.  It was one of the most interesting looks on the runway.  

I did like Anthony Ryan's dress.  No, it might not be a clubbing-in-NYC look, but did they specify the geography?  Why not a South Beach wild night out look?

Anya is SLIGHTLY better than she was in her regular season.  She apparently has some basic competency with a sewing machine now, but she make essentially the same look over and over again.  

• Love 16

Where was sh!t stirrer Irina after the runway? She wasn't in the room when the top and bottom designers went back to the stew room or at the end.

Edited to add, I thought alligator dress was the best.

Edited by anig
  • Love 11

I'm rapidly loosing interest in this show. Michelle and AR, the biggest ars****** on the show, get too much airtime while we see very little from the internationals other than Django and Evan. Anya is still a one trick pony and I don't understand why they are knocking on Django who at least tries to be original but not her. The Michelle/Irina/Dimtri thing was so contrived, even they lost interest halfway through it. Don't even get me startet on Alyssa or the judging.

• Love 3

Replying before reading: What on Earth do these judges consider a 'wild night out'? Looks like, going to a gallery opening: Michelle's dress, or having a lovely fondue dinner: Dimitri's dress. I don't even remember the other one in the Top Three. So confused. That alligator dress was perfect for the challenge and Christina is just safe? I should be used to the whacked out judging after all this time but obviously it still bugs. I'm sure production let the judges in on the controversy over Michelle's look and that is what got she and Dimitri to the top this week. Grrrr.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Brookside said:

Alyssa, if you're going to wear a fake braid, could it at least be sleek?  And what the hell was with that dress? 

The 'messy fishtail' braid was a big look in 2017. The dress wasn't the worst look she's ever worn, but really, she needs designs that aren't cut so tight on top- her arms aren't up to the challenge, IMO.

13 minutes ago, terrymct said:

As someone said above, the judges didn't try to enforce the theme this week at all.  If they had, the alligator dress should have won.  It has aspects of the actual animal in it adapted into the design. 

Didn't they actually specify at the beginning that the designs shouldn't reference the animal literally? I thought that was a bit unreasonable, but the alligator tail, the giraffe ears and the gibbon ass elements of Christina/Sean/Julie's dresses certainly justified that.

Julie's dress was awful, but I might miss her relentlessly sunny disposition.

• Love 9
20 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

The 'messy fishtail' braid was a big look in 2017. The dress wasn't the worst look she's ever worn, but really, she needs designs that aren't cut so tight on top- her arms aren't up to the challenge, IMO.

Didn't they actually specify at the beginning that the designs shouldn't reference the animal literally? I thought that was a bit unreasonable, but the alligator tail, the giraffe ears and the gibbon ass elements of Christina/Sean/Julie's dresses certainly justified that.

Julie's dress was awful, but I might miss her relentlessly sunny disposition.

There is not referencing something literally and then there are the flights of fancy that these designers undertook to justify their choices. I want a tall model to look tall because duh, giraffes are tall; angles look like quills on a pudgy little rodent; generic stripes look like the colouring on the plumage of a none too common owl. Ffs for creative people these designers are dense and lazy.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Shenanigan said:

I like this show, but honestly, "design a hot clubbing dress that evokes a wallaby" has to be about the dumbest challenge ever.

Bwahahahaha! Oh my god, true. I take this show way too seriously.

Back in the (Tim Gunn) day this show was one of the highlights of my life. I was living alone off grid in an airstream trailer on a remote gulf island with no internet, no cell service or tv (or running water, ha!) and I rented the project runway seasons on dvd from a little shop. I had an electric extension cord provided by a kindly neighbour and a mini dvd player. I loved the creative spirit of the show and it meant so much to me. I still love it but Alyssa and Anne are a drag.

Heidi had a lightness that Alyssa is missing. I don't know why Alyssa is hosting this. Does everybody else know how this happened? I know she has inserted herself politically in a public way, so I realize she is somewhat (?) of a public figure now besides being an actor. Perhaps she has a wide circle of influence on social media. She seems hard and didactic in this role. She is the host, not the mentor. When she said Django's look needed to be resolved before it hit the runway, she said it with such authority. That is the look he decided to send. Was it great? Clearly not but that was his design. Personally I thought the white twisted top part looked weightless and elegant and lovely. I didn't like the rest of it, but that's not the point. Alyssa wanted Django to present pants or a dress. He didn't just forget to resolve it, Alyssa, he was trying something different. That was his design. Oh wait, I just said I shouldn't take this show so seriously. Oof.

Edited by GoldaVining
hit submit too soon
  • Love 22

Re:  Anthony Ryan running to Michelle with what the others were saying about her having "copied" Dmitry's look - when my middle schoolers pulled that kind of s***, I called it the "Let's you and him fight" ploy.  It causes the majority of conflict with that age group.  Same with Irina stirring the pot in the first place.  And then Michelle compounded it with her passive-aggressive "Do you have something to say to me?"  All of you, if you're upset, say so.  If it isn't your business, zip your lip.  The whole thing gave me unpleasant flashbacks to endless spats I had to mediate.  At least those were kids, not grown professionals.  

I did like Michelle's dress, except for a little too much glimpse of the model's butt.  I didn't think Dmitry's belonged in the top three, to be honest.  Juli's was the worst, but I'm sorry to see her go because she just brightened things up in the workroom.  

• Love 22

I don't say this very often about this show (all star or regular flavor), but I would wear Anthony Ryan's outfit.  And when I say that, I mean the real me, not the fantasy version of me that might go to red carpet events or fancy cocktail parties.

• Love 19

Real me is too short to wear anything ever put down this runway.  I did like Anthony Ryan's this week and could see where he was going with the different striped materials.

But both Kristina's were robbed this week.

And, gibbons are apes not monkeys.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, Brookside said:

Georgina, it's "crotch", not "crutch".

Because she used her crotch as a crutch for her old days, initially ? ^_^  (yes, I read that she's British, but I like my explanation better, lol !)

• Love 3

Well, that was a weird edit when they announced the winner -- does anyone else think there was some big ugly drama edited out there? There was a sudden obvious cut and suddenly everyone looked frozen and Alyssa was laughing nervously and muttered something about 'all the drama' and that was all we got.

Geez, show, I thought drama was the whole POINT! Don't edit out the good stuff!

In other news .....

Django should have gone home with Julie. That was amateur hour on steroids -- wrapping a green bedsheet around your model and tucking in a t-shirt under her boobs so that they look hideous -- this is the work of an ALL-STAR??

Dmitry: "How dare anyone sew with a needle! I invented sewing with a needle!" OK, maybe not that bad but c'mon. 

• Love 10
16 hours ago, Late to the party said:

Ok, so, am I the only one, or does anyone else think Dmitry has had plastic surgery?  His jaw line and lips make him look like a different person. From the first show, I was like, that doesn’t look like Dmitry.....

Botox, a nose job and maybe some sort of mini-lift - you bet he looks different!   And kind of frozen.

• Love 6
55 minutes ago, Gummo said:

Well, that was a weird edit when they announced the winner -- does anyone else think there was some big ugly drama edited out there? There was a sudden obvious cut and suddenly everyone looked frozen and Alyssa was laughing nervously and muttered something about 'all the drama' and that was all we got.

I didn't notice, but I wouldn't doubt there was some drama about the judges thinking, at first, that Michelle's dress was Dmitry's.  If the judges assume  your work is someone else's, maybe you are running out of ideas.

• Love 6