Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E19: What Happens In The Cave

spinxella
  • Start Topic

I really liked this episode.  Ubbe suddenly realizes Viking gods are more handy with swords and axes and Magnus that Jesus was better at calming storms at sea.  Meanwhile Floki runs into The Revenge of Athelstan down below.

Really moving few seconds where Lagertha picks up the soil and tells Ragnar their dream came true.

Funny scene where Bjorn and Harold are ready to kill each other until Gunhilde slaps some reason into them then it was basically turn on a dime and "Yo, Bro!" and a Viking version of a fist bump.  And nice to see Hvitserk and Bjorn having a mini family reunion.

Edited by green
  • Love 12

Nope, Lagertha still doesn’t look old. Wonder if she will become the new seer?

I loved when Gunnhild told the boys to cut it out! Then Harald and Bjorn looked at each like, “yeah, she’s right,” did a shoulder bump and went off to do other things. 😆

Torvi was so badass running that dude through when he was going to help Frodo. Glad Ubbe survived.

• Love 8

That was a fantastic fight scene between Ubbe and King Frodo. Brutally showing two men determined to beat the other to death. Realistically showing them tiring before Ubbe finally managed to kill Frodo. And awesome Torvi having Ubbe's back when Frodo's man tried to cheat and sneak kill Ubbe.

• Love 9

That fight between Frodo and Ubbe was so great, the best this show has had in ages. It was brutal and harsh, and both men were clearly feeling pain and exhaustion, but were still just determined to kill the other one. And Ubbe finding the old gods was a great moment as well, and his ending monologue about how the Christian god was a stranger to him, but he couldn't pretend anymore to leave his old gods behind for political reasons. I mean, Odin is his grandpa after all! 

Torvi having his back and stabbing the guy who tried to cheat was so badass, and her cuddling up under his blanket at Wessex was adorable. Glad that he survived, and they are closer to their happy ending, having finally found peace for their people. Alfred and Ubbe also had a nice goodbye, and even Torvi and Alfred's wife had a nice hug at say goodbye. 

Lagertha holding the soil and speaking to Ragnar about their dream coming true was so touching. I think Lagertha will get home, and die peacefully, and reunite with Ragnar in Valhalla at the end, which i think would be a good ending for her. 

I cracked up at Bjorn and Harold getting into a fight, only for Gunhilde to tell them to knock it off, and them instantly knocking it off with a "yeah, she is totally right, we cool bro" Viking version of a fist bump! And we got a Bjorn and Hvitserk meet up! They were both so excited to see each other, and know that they're on the same side again!

Somewhere, Athelstan is watching the Floki plot, and laughing his ass off. 

• Love 7

Judith’s death was quick! And are we assuming Floki is dead also? I thought he was having a heart attack when he saw that cross. 

This was a good episode. I’m surprised Ubbe survived that beating. With Bjorn, Harald, Olaf and Hvitserk bearing down on Ivar, I don’t think he stands a chance. But who will be king of Kattegut? We’ll probably have to wait until next season. 

• Love 2

I hope Fredys kills Ivar. She had a moment where there was murder in her eyes. Maybe when the town is under attack, she will take the opportunity to slit his throat. Though, Hvitserk won't be too warm and friendly with her as she stoked the flames that were Ivar.

If Floki IS dead, they gave him a send-off doing what made his fans love him - repeatedly laughing that little laugh (until it turned into a cry).

One review I read last night said that the cross he had found was evidence that Christians had already been in Iceland (obviously) and that the chalice was the Holy Grail.

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, magdalene said:

Dear Floki, Athelstan has the last laugh.

You said it.  As Floki's manic giggle turned to a great cry of outrage, and then as the mountain erupted around him, I was literally holding my breath, so expecting to hear him either shout or perhaps whisper (after the cave in), "Aethelstan."  I was disappointed it didn't happen, but it perhaps it would only have been a case of gilding the lily.  The point had already been made.  Nice callback, show.

1 hour ago, Lady Iris said:

Well Floki, wasn't that a kick in the ass! Of all things for him to find there, a cross. You should've stuck to building boats.

Was this the season finale?

Nope.  One more episode.  They ran the preview ten minutes or so into the new show "Knight Fight".

Edited by mcjen
clarifying grammar
  • Love 1

Judith's very sudden decline aside (sloppy timeline), I felt better about this episode than I have about most this season.  I liked Torvi being a badass, then vulnerable.  She and Ubbe are good together.  Bjorn and Hvitsirk reunited and are off to rid the world of Ivar, and we got an awesome end (?) to the Iceland story.

The younger members of our household had a spirited discussion about whether certain scenes count as Tolkien references since the vikings pre-dated him, or if Michael Hirst really intended a nod to his work  (and the movies) with King Frodo, Floki going underground and hoping to see dwarves, the shot of the lava flowing, etc.  

I don't understand Lagertha's position in Wessex, but I'm glad she's talking to Ragnar again and not pining for Bishop Heahmund.  

Edited by nowornever
  • Love 2

Wow, the previous episode was surprisingly good, but this one was even better. 

While I grew to like Ubbe and I love Torvi, I always found their little Christian adventure annoying, IMO the show was best when the main viking characters were closest to their gods. So, I'm relieved that the exploration is now over. Also, I agree that the fight between Ubbe and Frodo was great, as was Torvi stabbing the mug who tried to make things more messy.

The contrast between Ubbe and Magnus when they were praying for their lives was also well done, I wonder what's in store for Magnus. Or even what's going on in this mind of his (do we know it? I wasn't paying that much attention during some of the more boring episodes, so I might have missed something important). And as for Ubbe, one more thing that I liked was him not having any doubts that their old gods were Ragnar's true gods. Oh, and how he reacted when Alfred blessed him with Christian words - he didn't want to be rude but he also couldn't lie anymore and accept them, so he was stuck in the middle and quickly turned away. 

I also really liked the confrontation between Bjorn and Harald. Even though I'll never completely forgive Harald for killing his brother (over nothing, or at least something that was definitely not worth it), or never forgive the writers for writing that in such a dumb way, I'm beginning to not hate him again. I found him yelling about how he didn't believe Bjorn was protected by the gods and therefore indestructible quite powerful. He did show in the past that he had trouble dealing with the fact that he's expected to bow to Ragnar, and then his sons, just because people believe they are chosen by the gods; but it was only in this episode that I really felt his emotions. Also, it's always good to see a woman putting men in their place, and it was funny how Bjorn and Harald instantly went back to being allies. 

And I loved Bjorn/Hvitserk reunion, maybe it was nothing special, but it was good to see. Also, the new Hvitserk may yet grow into someone interesting, though we will see. 

Lagherta had a nice moment there too when talking to Ragnar, and another at the beginning of the episode, when she talked to Alfred. I wonder if she'll be killed in the next episode and if so, by which Ragnar's son (it would be too anti-climatic if it was Ivar, so if it has to happen, I hope there will be a twist). 

The only thing is... what the flok? Did we have to suffer through the Island nonsense just for Floki to find a cross and die? I admit, it was probably the best that happened throughout this exhausting and annoying storyline (which I might have fast-forwarded through, just a bit), but I refuse to accept Floki dying like this, I hope that's not it. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Is Lagertha fulfilling the prophecy of the oracle? I can’t remember what he told her a few seasons ago and I wondered if the writers handwaved it away because they decided to go in a different direction.

Do you mean this one: "I see a harvest celebrated in blood. I see a trickster whose weapon cleaves you. I see a city made of marble. And a burning, broiling ocean"? 

• Love 2

I'm such a wuss, I watched that fight between Ubbe and Frodo between my fingers.  I thought for sure Ubbe was dead when Tovri bent over him lying on the ground.  I hope their story ends with them happy and settled in their new land.  They deserve it.

I still don't know what Gunhilde's end game is so I still don't trust her, but I loved her smacking some sense into Bjorn, and the way his eyes rolled around.  She's tough.   

• Love 4

man... i have so many questions about that cave scene... did floki find the holy grail? and why is the grail in a cave in iceland. the fact that the cave is now not a cave anymore :), the grail should now be gone... i think they went a little to far in the christian religion with that scene... although i loved it!

9 minutes ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Vikings is generally one of the last places I'd go for fashion inspiration, but man I need Torvi's green cape.  

I also loved that dress she wore.  It looked like it was brown velvet.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, pinkglove said:

Do you mean this one: "I see a harvest celebrated in blood. I see a trickster whose weapon cleaves you. I see a city made of marble. And a burning, broiling ocean"? 

Thanks for digging that up.  We saw a harvest celebrated in blood already during Ecbert's time where Lagertha slaughtered an ox on their new Saxon land Ecbert then quickly took back.  Or we will see a second harvest ceremony like that on the new land coming up.  Alfred did see to indicate he was cool with the Viking gods hanging around and co-existing some in that last scene where the Danes march into their new lands in Wessex.

I think the second half of that prophecy probably was back when Hirst was going to take Bjorn back to the Med again and seems more about him unless Mum was going to come along in Hirst's outline.  He could well sail by Rome or even Constaninople (both marble) and the broiling ocean referring to a famous massive historic sea battle that really took place between Bjorn and the Moors' fleets the latter of which used Greek Fire against him during the battle. 

I think Hirst has since just chucked out that major most of the voyages from the storyline as being too expensive to film or, more likely, too off tract from the other storylines.  The Med just seems to have been aborted so the last couple of lines of that prophecy probably too. 

Though historically Bjorn did survive that battle, his fleet took major damage and he retired back to Scandinavia to rule over a kingdom in what is now modern day Sweden.  Hmmm, King Olaf has a kingdom in what is modern day Sweden.  This gives me some pause here.  Pure speculation.  No spoilers whatsoever.  Maybe Bjorn and Harold make a deal where Harold unifies Norway like he historically did getting Kattegat but Bjorn in turn then gets Olaf's big ol' Swedish kingdom after Olaf meets his demise?  But then again Hirst has skipped away from history a lot these last couple of seasons so maybe not.  OTOH, why introduce an out-of-shape Swedish king this deep into the storyline. 

(Are all Swedish kings out of shape btw?  Remember the first one that married Earl Haraldsen and Siggy's daughter in Season 1?  Though I think Jarl Borg was also Swedish and he was in shape until ... well ... he grew wings out his back with Ragnar's help).

The trickster's weapon cleaving may well still be in play since we haven't see Lagertha's death yet obviously.  Or not.  But if it still is then ... trickster?  Don't know.  Ivar and his henchmen are way to obvious.  Magnus comes to mind maybe.  Or some Danish or Saxon upstart back in Wessex?  Or, again, Hirst changed his storyline and it means nothing now.

Edited by green
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, green said:

The trickster's weapon cleaving may well still be in play since we haven't see Lagertha's death yet obviously.  Or not.  But if it still is then ... trickster?  Don't know.  Ivar and his henchmen are way to obvious.  Magnus comes to mind maybe.  Or some Danish or Saxon upstart back in Wessex?  Or, again, Hirst changed his storyline and it means nothing now.

But the trickster, if he's to kill Lagherta, has to be one of Ragnar's sons - that's a much newer prophecy that Lagherta got from the seer, so I assume it's going to happen. I agree that Ivar is too obvious and I hope it won't be him, though I don't know who else could pass as a trickster (out of Ragnar's sons). 

Before I remembered about the trickster thing, I always thought there would be a twist to the second prophecy and she will be killed by Bjorn or Ubbe, not in battle or because of any sort of conflict, but just by accident or because both sides decide it's her time to die for some reason. 

Now, I don't know. For a moment I thought that maybe Ubbe still wants to avenge his mother, waiting till Ivar is out of the picture. But that doesn't make sense, he had plenty of chances and Torvi loves Lagherta, plus nothing would suggest he's still holding a grudge. Hvitserk sided with Siget before, pretty much agreeing that Lagherta had her reasons, so something new would have to come up. 

I guess that leaves Magnus, but I have no idea why he would want to kill Lagherta. Maybe I'm just thinking about it as something that will happen very soon, if not, stuff can happen and any of them can have new reasons. 

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, green said:

I thought the Trickster cleaving was Echbert's betrayal with the farm lands? City of marble was Paris? That was quite a while back which is why I don't think it was planned for so late in the show.

King Peanuthead is dead. So it was really his clothes that made his head look small. (can't remember who's the first poster here that called him that but it was hilarious)

I am so glad Athelstan was finally avenged. Floki had it coming, and I've been waiting for that moment, truly. satisfying.

Edited by Athelstan
Technical prob
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Athelstan said:

I thought the Trickster cleaving was Echbert's betrayal with the farm lands? City of marble was Paris? That was quite a while back which is why I don't think it was planned for so late in the show.

Yeah, that actually makes a lot of sense. Especially since him and Lagherta got "close" at one point. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Athelstan said:

King Peanuthead is dead. So it was really his clothes that made his head look small. (can't remember who's the first poster here that called him that but it was hilarious)

I am so glad Athelstan was finally avenged. Floki had it coming, and I've been waiting for that moment, truly. satisfying.

Well Paris was more built of stone.  But Rome has been know as "the city of marble" since Caesar Augustus turned it into that during his reign and that was the city Bjorn went looking for in his last voyage.  And paired with the massive battle in the "burning, broiling ocean" (Moors using Greek Fire) where both fleets numbered in the hundreds I'm sticking with Rome.  Bjorn actually historically didn't find Rome but mistook another Italian city for it since any Italian city would have wowed the Vikings back then compared to the towns and villages they had only seen up until then.  Even Paris was backwoods compared to some of the "lesser" Italian cities.  But I'm sure had Hirst filmed the last voyage then Bjorn would have found the real Rome.

I like Ecbert as the trickster a lot though.  Perfect description for him at times.  And "cleaves you" can refer to the settlement and not Lagertha who had left the settlement before the attack.

And I am totally with you about Athelstan getting the last laugh.

6 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Is Lagertha fulfilling the prophecy of the oracle? I can’t remember what he told her a few seasons ago and I wondered if the writers handwaved it away because they decided to go in a different direction.

The old woman did say that Lagertha’s old life was over.

• Love 1

Okay, so... I often criticize Vikings, but man, that scene of Floki finding the cross.

I had the exact same reaction as Floki at the same time... the exact same crazy giggle.

Alright, Hirst, I'll give you that one, that was freaking hilarious !

• Love 3

I almost wanted some old Knight to show up and ask Floki which cup he wanted to drink out of, and then he would explode! "He choose...poorly...."

Judith died of cancer so quickly, I almost wonder if she took poison to save herself from a long, lingering death.

5 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I also loved that dress she wore.  It looked like it was brown velvet.

Torvi in Wessex has seriously upped her wardrobe game! She looks amazing!

• Love 3

The Good: 

😻Judith died without speaking. The best gift ever.  (STFU Lagertha.)

😻Ubbe vs Frodo.

😻Torvi stepping up and proving again why she is Vikings’ MVP.

😻Gunnhild breaking up the moronic fight between Finehair and Bjorn.

😻Hvitserk and Bjorn vs Ivar. Skol.

The Bad: 

😾Floki. Why!?! (Well, at least he’s dead so, yay?)

😾The episode jumped around all over the place and was basically a mess. (What’s the point of Lagertha’s flashbacks?)

😾Ivar failed to kill Freydis.

😾All the damn commercials.

Edited by taurusrose
  • Love 3

Great episode.  Last week's was really good and it's been nice to see the show bounce back so strongly.  I hope they can stick the landing for the season finale next week.

The Twilight Zone is my favorite show and Floki finding the cross was a very TZ-ending.  He killed Athelstan and he tortured priests so he deserved cosmic justice and finding that cross was like a giant middle finger to him.  Unexpected but fitting ending, with his mad giggle sealing his fate.

Collapsing in on itself is the perfect metaphor for this Iceland storyline.

Ubbe's fight with Frodo was brutal and awesome.  I'm glad he survived and that Torvi had his back.  That scene of him in bed, where he tells Torvi he was praying to Odin...he looked so much like Ragnar.  Even more than usual.  It was a great victory for Ubbe.

LOL, even the show can't stand Judith and doesn't give her any final words.

Bjorn and Harald's "fist bump" was awesome.  I'm glad they didn't kill each other.

Even the medicine woman couldn't stand Lagertha's wig!

I'm greatly enjoying how all the armies are converging and really am looking forward to the season finale, which feels more like a series finale.

• Love 4

That was a fabulous fight between Ubbe and Frodo. Really well done, visceral, very tense, animalistic.

Bye Judith, that was quick. So Alfred's wife already knew she murdered her other son, or? 

I just can't with the shieldmaiden stuff in this show... the pre-Christian Norse had such an intensely macho culture, it's possible there were some women who were warriors (controversial), but they would have not been happily back and forth between kids, pretty dresses and fighting. I wish the show would show more realistic gender politics, rather than idealising it as a modern wish-fulfilment fantasy, but *shrug* common fantasy trope.

The bro slap after Bjorn and Harald's fight was the funniest thing ever.

Lol I really hope Floki is dead, the end of that storyline. If he isn't he's not human, that cave's gotta be full of tiny glass particles and sulphur. I knew Christian monks were supposed to have found Iceland first, but I wasn't expecting his find, it was a great scene. The death of the old ways.

Ummm okay so everyone wants a piece of Kattegat, but surely Ivar the Boneless has gotta go back to England and do some serious raiding first? Or? 

I don't mind that Ivar's not dead, crappy powerful people stay alive and in power all the time, and hey, next to the Game of Thrones baddies we love to hate, he's a saint.

Alfred acknowledging the heathen gods was interesting, especially as he was the hallowed pilgrim. Not sure if Christian rulers would have ever realistically done that for diplomacy, I'd love to know. Their ideas of faith as being beyond one's culture were very different from the heathens.

Hvitserk seems slightly more mature here, rather than a hopeless manboy. 

Sending such a violent, strong and resolute character weak and crazy because two of their ex-lovers died is such a boring cliched thing to do to a female character, and very unusual for a male character. I hope Lagertha gets something interesting and proactive to do soon.

Oh, and Torvi's chainmail headband was hilarious Viking chic. So fashionable.

Edited by Kite
at least there's no chainmail bras
  • Love 1

Hi Judith.  Bye Judith.  That wasn't much of a send off for her.  The actress must have pissed off the writers.

It's amazing how much Ubbe resembles Ragnar.  The actor must have studied Fimmel's mannerisms and he has them down perfectly.  During the fight he did that neck twist that Fimmel always did, as well as the "come and get me" expression.  Plus the piercing blue eyes help with the resemblance.  

23 hours ago, Babalooie said:

One review I read last night said that the cross he had found was evidence that Christians had already been in Iceland (obviously) and that the chalice was the Holy Grail.

Ha!  That's exactly what I said:  Floki found the Holy Grail!  I hope that isn't the end of him but I don't know how he's going to extricate himself from an erupting volcano.

My dvr cut off just as Ivar was telling the crowd they would stay in Kattegat and strengthen the defenses.  Did I miss anything after that?

Lots of good moments in this episode that have already been pointed out.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 3

I really enjoyed this episode.  All of the threads are coming together beautifully and every main character received valid due.  (Even Magnus is in the fold with a credible story line.  Fuck, even the Gods and Jesus have story lines.)

Loved it.  All of it.

PS:  For me, Floki is dead.  No question.  Even if his body lives (which I sincerely doubt), the character has no where to go.  He's gonzo.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Triskan said:

Okay, so... I often criticize Vikings, but man, that scene of Floki finding the cross.

I had the exact same reaction as Floki at the same time... the exact same crazy giggle.

Alright, Hirst, I'll give you that one, that was freaking hilarious !

Me too!  

I also liked how Ubbe said he converted to Christianity because it suited their long range goals for him to do so, not out of any real faith or belief. When the chips were down it was Odin that he prayed to.  

Edited by wlk68
  • Love 4

How beat up Ubbe was after his victorious fight - within inches of losing his life - and that it took time for him to recover from it - well that's a dose of realism. It makes me think how unrealistic some of the scenes are of people generally walking around after a battle as if they were just fine and that nothing had happened to them.

It occurred to me that with everything going on it's possible to get confused over who hates whom and what sides the sons of Ragnar are on relative to each other.

I too was wondering if the end had come for Floki. So that was his "land of the gods".

• Love 2

I don't buy that Christianity hit Iceland first. That seems like pure nonsense. It wasn't a part of the world Christians would travel to IMO, not being big boat traveling explorer types like the Vikings. Pure silliness and just an excuse to give a "gotcha" moment to Floki.

• Love 1
On 1/24/2019 at 1:08 PM, pinkglove said:

But the trickster, if he's to kill Lagherta, has to be one of Ragnar's sons - that's a much newer prophecy that Lagherta got from the seer, so I assume it's going to happen. I agree that Ivar is too obvious and I hope it won't be him, though I don't know who else could pass as a trickster (out of Ragnar's sons). 

Before I remembered about the trickster thing, I always thought there would be a twist to the second prophecy and she will be killed by Bjorn or Ubbe, not in battle or because of any sort of conflict, but just by accident or because both sides decide it's her time to die for some reason. 

I've always thought that it would be Bjorn killing her by accident (because irony).  Maybe the "trickster" part of it is that Bjorn isn't actually Ragnar's son but Rollo's, since Rollo's last episode established that as a possibility.

If Floki's last scene is the last we ever see of him, it seems like a fitting end for the character.  Before he gave into rage and anguish he ever seemed to appreciate the irony of it.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Steph J said:

I've always thought that it would be Bjorn killing her by accident (because irony).  Maybe the "trickster" part of it is that Bjorn isn't actually Ragnar's son but Rollo's, since Rollo's last episode established that as a possibility.

If Floki's last scene is the last we ever see of him, it seems like a fitting end for the character.  Before he gave into rage and anguish he ever seemed to appreciate the irony of it.

Right now I think I agree with the person who posted above about the trickster being Ecbert who figuratively stabbed her by ordering to destroy the settlement. So, in my mind, all of her sons can now kill her without worrying about becoming tricksters along the way...

But I'd hate Floki to die like this. I root for their old gods, so I hope he'll have a chance to reconnect with them. Also, I'm not too crazy about Aithelstan having the last word. I mean, I liked him, but I think what Floki did to him tends to be blown out of proportion. The show has seen so many killings for the wrong reasons that I don't think that one stood out as particularly awful. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, BonnieD said:

I don't buy that Christianity hit Iceland first. That seems like pure nonsense. It wasn't a part of the world Christians would travel to IMO, not being big boat traveling explorer types like the Vikings. Pure silliness and just an excuse to give a "gotcha" moment to Floki.

Really?  Wikipedia on Iceland:

The Íslendingabók of Ari Thorgilsson claims that the Norse settlers encountered Gaelic monks from a Hiberno-Scottish mission when they arrived in Iceland. There is some archaeological evidence for a monastic settlement from Ireland at Kverkarhellir cave, on the Seljaland farm in southern Iceland. Sediment deposits indicate people lived there around 800, and crosses consistent with the Hiberno-Scottish style were carved in the wall of a nearby cave.

Edited by green
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, pinkglove said:

I think what Floki did to him tends to be blown out of proportion. The show has seen so many killings for the wrong reasons that I don't think that one stood out as particularly awful. 

I think Aethelstan would disagree.  LOL

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 6
17 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I think Aethelstan would disagree.  LOL

I know. But all the monks who Ragnar, Rollo, Torstein, Floki and others killed when they first came to England probably wouldn't. Neither would Aslaug, Kalf, the old guy from the settlement killed by Ragnar, Arne... IMO, Floki's punishment was too harsh. Ragnar, being a little self-obsessed, blamed it all on Floki's jealousy, which I think was only part of his motivation. And he punished Floki for personal reasons, using his status. I wish Floki just told everyone about what happened to the settlement then. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, pinkglove said:

But I'd hate Floki to die like this. I root for their old gods, so I hope he'll have a chance to reconnect with them. Also, I'm not too crazy about Aithelstan having the last word. I mean, I liked him, but I think what Floki did to him tends to be blown out of proportion. The show has seen so many killings for the wrong reasons that I don't think that one stood out as particularly awful. 

I agree with you about Athelstan - I wasn't particularly attached to him and he was only interesting to me when he interacted with Ragnar.  Floki killing him added complication to Floki's and Ragnar's stories however, which was interesting to me.

The show seems committed to giving characters ignominious deaths - Ragnar via snake (yes, I know what Wiki says); Aethelred poisoned by his mom; Judith dying without a word; Rollo didn't die but quietly faded away.  Ecbert got the last word but didn't die gloriously or anything.  So if Floki dies in the cave, it's fitting with what I see as the show's death theme.

The ep was OK.  I'm losing interest in the characters.  I'll watch the end of the season but don't know if I care enough about anyone to watch beyond that.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, pinkglove said:

Right now I think I agree with the person who posted above about the trickster being Ecbert who figuratively stabbed her by ordering to destroy the settlement. So, in my mind, all of her sons can now kill her without worrying about becoming tricksters along the way...

She only has one son (Bjorn).  Though I'd love to forget that Aslaug ever existed.

• Love 2

Deep down, I figured Ubbe was going to come out ahead, but that battle between him and Frodo was brutal and intense!  I'm glad that it lacked the more over-the-top flourishes and "epic" moments that fights in other shows might have had, and it was just straight-up dirty and ugly in a realistic way, and even though Ubbe "won", he still came out looking like shit.  Overall, it really made his victory feel earned.  And also a good way to bring him back to believing in the Viking Gods again, since he was so close to death, and they were the ones he was thinking off.  Really well done and Jordan Patrick Smith acted the hell out of it.

Also got to show Torvi some love for quickly stabbing that fool who tried to sneak attack Ubbe.  Torvi/Ubbe are the best and I hope against all odds they have a happy life together.

On the other hand, Bjorn vs. Harald was almost kind of funny, since it almost felt like it was a Viking version of fighting on the school playground, and ending with Gunnhild just telling them both to quick dicking around, and both of them like "Good show, bro!" and fist bumping each other.  Hell, it looked like even some of the background folks were still just doing their tasks like normal and were basically going "Eh, let them blow off some steam."  Oh, you guys!

Well, bye, Judith!  They really didn't waste any time snuffing her out, I see.

I don't know if it will be next week or next season, but I definitely feel like they show is prepping Lagertha's exit.

Floki finding out that the Christians beat him to his magical little island almost made it worth suffering through this whole storyline.  Almost.  I'm also going to wait and see if he's finally gone for good.

Why do I have a feeling that against all odds, Ivar is still going to somehow survive any potential battles that come to ahead next week? 

• Love 4