Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: Justin's Story

• Start Topic

A college graduate with a once-promising career, Justin has eaten his life away to the point of never leaving the house for anything but food. Now only the help of Dr. Now's weight-loss program can restore his hopes of living a happy, productive life.

This is the regular episode thread.  This will open after the US East Coast showing.

Original air date 2019.01.23

I caught up with the live chat posts, but I am going to respond here since I am not sure when that thread is going to close.

4 hours ago, JudgeyMcJudgyPants said:

Reminds me of when I used to dunk my double stuffed oreos in skim milk.  Totally cancels out...right?

I used to get carrots and cheesecake for lunch.  Not because I was trying to be good yet cheat, but because I actually happen to love carrots as much as I love cheesecake!

4 hours ago, Gbb said:

Is anyone else surprised we don’t see more CPAPs on this show?

I think there are more CPAPs that we do not see. And oxygen machines.  At this weight, I have a hard time believing they are not having lots and lots of breathing problems at night.  It just doesn't necessarily get filmed or shown if filmed, as there is nothing exciting about it... and for a lot of poundticipants, their bed is surrounded by so much junk you can never know what is or isn't there!  This guy kept a remarkably neat home.

3 hours ago, Wanda said:

He may be unable to sit upright at a desk for long enough to work reliable hours

That's what I think, his back probably hurts so he cannot spend enough time sitting.  Also, he would probably have to do at least some client meetings and it would not be possible for him at that point.  Also, it is possible that financially it made more sense for him to go on disability off his high income of good days  vs. continue to do a little bit of work for a little bit of money. 

3 hours ago, aliya said:

I'm gonna say - not leaving the house sounds good to me. I pretty much don't leave the house as it is, except for work. I order almost every thing, including groceries.  I have the internet. I don't need much else.

I have never been a nightlife person, but I don't like being inside more than a couple days in a row.  I need to go do something, even if only to the grocery store, a walk outside... also at least once a month I have to go see a live show, or visit a museum, or something along those lines. I need new experiences, and internet, while fun, does not substitute for that, just like a chat or a phone call do not substitute for a hug and a face-to-face conversation with someone.

3 hours ago, dreadfulLeigh said:

There’s some fucked up cycle with them. He craves his mom’s love and attention, she makes him food as her love, he stays heavy in a misguided attempt to make his mom stay in his life. If he stays heavy, she’ll come over and feed him. It doesn’t seem like there’s much else she knows how to give him. 

This is very sad.  The woman let her addiction destroy her life and her son's.  If she had any mothering skills, she must have lost them along the way.  At least he is climbing back now, and doing a great job - she seems to be on the downward slope yet again.

3 hours ago, 88Keys said:

Doctor Now just told him to start exercising and that it should be "no problem."  Does he examine these people first?  I mean, I know they need to be active, but I hope he at least checks their hearts and blood pressure and stuff.

I would assume he does.  We only see about 2 minutes, maybe 3, that Dr. Now spends with the patient, in reality even the super-quick regular physician visits average about 8 minutes, if I remember correctly.  Given the population Dr. Now works with and how his business is probably structured, I would not be surprised if he spends longer than that - though more likely, a lot of actual measurements and even counseling are done by other personnel - nurses, medical assistants, he probably has a midlevel or two on staff as well...

3 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

As a web designer when he gets down enough to be able to work again he certainly can find jobs in Houston so he might not need to make it a temporary move. 

But he owns a house in South Carolina, selling it may not make financial sense for him.  And being an absentee landlord can be risky too...  I don't know if it makes sense for him to build a new life from scratch in Houston or go back to the familiar and re-build his former life into something better.  At least, he is doing great so that choice will be his to make.

2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

He probably had the boxes saved since he knew he was moving (to pack up his things). When you don’t leave the house to buy groceries or TP you will accumulate a lot of Amazon Pantry boxes. 

I am with you.  I haven't bought any boxes for any of the three moves I had in the past 10 years - though not because of Amazon, I asked the facilities guys at work to save boxes for me, especially the awesome boxes from printer paper.  I love them.  And I also use them as trunk organizers in my car!

2 hours ago, MrsRopersCaftan said:

I'm glad Justin thought that went well because I thought it accomplished exactly nothing. I hope he can learn to stand on his own and not wait for his mother to start mothering him. I think that ship sailed a long time ago.

And he is 27.  At that age, wanting to be mothered, whether or not someone actually got that mothering as a child, is a step backwards.  Although just today driving home I was thinking how tired I am of having to make all the decisions, and how nice it would be to have someone just tell me what to do.  I wouldn't last very long that way, of course, only until the first thing I disagreed with, but it's nice to dream of being carefree sometimes!

2 hours ago, Erinw522 said:

BLING BLING the stethoscope is back!!! 😂💁🏻‍♂️💎

Dr. Now probably got it sometime towards the end of the filming year since it's absent in the early months and appears towards the end.  

2 hours ago, Concerned said:

Another job that involves zero exercise.

At least pilots get regular physicals and interact with people!  Though I doubt he would be a commercial pilot, at most a private pilot where he can fly himself and someone else only as long as he doesn't get paid to do so.

2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I bet Justin is terrified of getting addicted to anything like his so-called mother did.  

There is a theory that there is actually propensity for addiction, which is hereditary, it has to do with how rewards system in the brain is wired.  His mother got addicted to opioids, he got addicted to food.  Not that people with "addiction-prone" genes will all get addicted or people without them won't, but there is an increased chance if given the right drivers.  That's why it's not a bad idea for someone who comes from a family of alcoholics to completely abstain from alcohol.  They can get addicted far quicker and with lower amounts of alcohol vs. someone who comes from a family where no one has ever struggled with any sort of addiction. 

• Love 11

That scene at the car rental place reminded me of that Seinfeld episode: you know how to take the reservation you just don't know how to keep the reservation! Isn't that what a reservation is? You hold the car? Employee: I know what a reservation is! Jerry: I don't think you do!

But I mean I don't think he really had agoraphobia, in the sense that it was all based on the fact he was so obese he had major fear of going out for being stared at and if something were to happen no one could help him. If you take being fat away the agoraphobia would go away too. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
10 hours ago, Hellga said:
15 hours ago, Gbb said:

Is anyone else surprised we don’t see more CPAPs on this show?

I think there are more CPAPs that we do not see. And oxygen machines.

And insulin pens.  I'm always kind of amazed that none of these people seem to have (diagnosed) cases of diabetes.

• Love 3

The other very different thing about him is that he actually moved himself!  I think in all the other shows I've seen, they sit and watch everyone else move them.  I understand that some of them may not be able to help much, or at all, but still it shows that Justin's an active participant in his own weight loss.  

Plus, as a ginger, I've got a soft-spot for other gingers (except for that moron Sean on "Family by the Ton," lol).

• Love 19
23 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

And insulin pens.  I'm always kind of amazed that none of these people seem to have (diagnosed) cases of diabetes.

I remember watching an episode where insulin was an aside mention, but never shown - the goal is not to show the complete medical picture of what's wrong with these people, it focuses on one aspect only, and that is their obesity and obesity caused specifically by a perverted relationship with food.  Just like they don't talk about antibiotics during and after surgery, for example, or use of pain meds after surgery (except when patient has a painkiller abuse problem, like Robert did).   This show has a rather narrow focus and there is plenty we don't see.  Even therapy doesn't always make the cut, in Octavia's episode it was shown in the Thursday's extended version but not in the main version. 

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, readheaded said:

The other very different thing about him is that he actually moved himself!  I think in all the other shows I've seen, they sit and watch everyone else move them.  I understand that some of them may not be able to help much, or at all, but still it shows that Justin's an active participant in his own weight loss.  

Plus, as a ginger, I've got a soft-spot for other gingers (except for that moron Sean on "Family by the Ton," lol).

And, heh heh, the "Anti-Justin" Casey, also redhead, in the same show.

• Love 3

I was so happy that Justin was doing so well. I hope they do a follow-up. I respected him immediately when he owned his situation, had a career, owned his house and was open and honest about his other issues.  His honesty, the fact he is articulate and intelligent gave me hope he’d do well.  Oh, I enjoy the train wreck episodes but when someone like Justin is succeeding (and Brittani!  Loved her.  And was it Nikki who was a theatre costume designer?  She was so likable and I was impressed how she looked after her special-needs brother) it’s gratifying  and makes the train wrecks more fun  

His mother is a bitch. Lose her, Justin. Liked the dad, he was supportive and clearly loved his son very much. 

Someone mentioned he was on disability. Not necessarily so but I’m no financial analyst nor do I play one on TV.  But web design and contracting in software development can be VERY lucrative and if you’re careful and invest wisely you can set aside a nice chunk of change. I’d worked in those fields for several years and was able to retire at 58 three years ago.  

Someone else wondered why he couldn’t get into that Jeep Cherokee. All depends how far back the front seats go. His Avalon’s seats go way back and the steering wheel slides in towards the dash so he’d be able to get into that. I used to have one. Nice car. I’m 6’4 and 218 so my height restricts what I can comfortably drive.  The Avalon was a treat. 

Okay my friends. Have a great weekend.....  And for the 95/495 crowd, I wonder if we could actually find a venue that would allow us to be obnoxious and watch communally.  Prince in Saugus used to be good for that.  Think about it. DM me if you like and I’ll organize it. I’m not bossy but good at pulling things together. 

• Love 9

I don't mind a train wreck every so often, but I do enjoy the success stories, especially when the people are so likable such as Justin. As someone mentioned, he spoke well and clear, is educated and did what he had to do. At the end I noted what a nice looking man he is. I wish him nothing but the best! 

• Love 17
49 minutes ago, Henri205 said:

Someone mentioned he was on disability. Not necessarily so but I’m no financial analyst nor do I play one on TV.  But web design and contracting in software development can be VERY lucrative and if you’re careful and invest wisely you can set aside a nice chunk of change. I’d worked in those fields for several years and was able to retire at 58 three years ago.  

He said it himself that he went on disability when he had to stop working a year prior to the show.   Retiring at 58 or even 50 is not that far out of reach - but retiring comfortably at 26 - with only about 4 years of working and having to support 50+ years of retirement - that sounds like a very unlikely thing, unless one builds a really, really successful business.  I have a hard time imagining someone with agoraphobia and depression getting that done...

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, Hellga said:

He said it himself that he went on disability when he had to stop working a year prior to the show.   Retiring at 58 or even 50 is not that far out of reach - but retiring comfortably at 26 - with only about 4 years of working and having to support 50+ years of retirement - that sounds like a very unlikely thing, unless one builds a really, really successful business.  I have a hard time imagining someone with agoraphobia and depression getting that done...

Thank you, HELLGA I didn’t hear that part. Too busy reading the live blog I guess.  At any rate I wish him the best. 

14 hours ago, Hellga said:

That's what I think, his back probably hurts so he cannot spend enough time sitting.  Also, he would probably have to do at least some client meetings and it would not be possible for him at that point.  Also, it is possible that financially it made more sense for him to go on disability off his high income of good days  vs. continue to do a little bit of work for a little bit of money. 

I work as a freelance app developer and I do a lot of work lying on my bed (I'm trying to get out of the habit but I have sort of agoraphobia too and I really have to force myself to leave my room sometimes). Meetings can usually be done over video chat which is also good because you can do screenshare...I've never actually met the people I'm on a contract with in person even though they live in the same city as me. So I'm not sure why he went on disability. Maybe other problems related to the anxiety made it impossible to work full time.

Anyway I've never been overweight but I related to this dude a lot. Only 20 minutes into the episode and excited to see him make it!

• Love 6

Loved Justin! He reminded me so much of my Husband that is the same age as Justin. 

I was rooting for him the whole time,even more so because he’s so young & close to my age (26) it was so nice to watch someone who was so well spoken,clean, and over all just a positive soul.  Sure it can be fun to snark on the people,but it’s even better when we someone actually wants to make the change & actually does it and doesn’t waste Dr.Now’s time.

I hope the best for him to continue losing weight. To start his dream job.  hope he finds a good group of friends & even a wife/husband one day. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Henri205 said:

Someone else wondered why he couldn’t get into that Jeep Cherokee. All depends how far back the front seats go. His Avalon’s seats go way back and the steering wheel slides in towards the dash so he’d be able to get into that.

My husband drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee (Newer model) and when he was 325lbs at 6 feet tall it was a very tight fit for him. He hit his head with a hat on (at lowest seat level) and needed a seat belt extender. He is now 180lbs and it doesn't matter the size of the car anymore. I will also add that he fit in my 2010 Subaru Outback just fine at that size.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Henri205 said:

I was so happy that Justin was doing so well. I hope they do a follow-up. I respected him immediately when he owned his situation, had a career, owned his house and was open and honest about his other issues.  His honesty, the fact he is articulate and intelligent gave me hope he’d do well.  Oh, I enjoy the train wreck episodes but when someone like Justin is succeeding (and Brittani!  Loved her.  And was it Nikki who was a theatre costume designer?  She was so likable and I was impressed how she looked after her special-needs brother) it’s gratifying  and makes the train wrecks more fun  

His mother is a bitch. Lose her, Justin. Liked the dad, he was supportive and clearly loved his son very much. 

Someone else wondered why he couldn’t get into that Jeep Cherokee. All depends how far back the front seats go. His Avalon’s seats go way back and the steering wheel slides in towards the dash so he’d be able to get into that. I used to have one. Nice car. I’m 6’4 and 218 so my height restricts what I can comfortably drive.  The Avalon was a treat. 

Okay my friends. Have a great weekend.....  And for the 95/495 crowd, I wonder if we could actually find a venue that would allow us to be obnoxious and watch communally.  Prince in Saugus used to be good for that.  Think about it. DM me if you like and I’ll organize it. I’m not bossy but good at pulling things together. 

We need a place that serves pizza and frahhhd raaace obviously. If so, count me in from Sharon 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, sempervivum said:

You must have missed Penny's episode!  :D  She wouldn't shut up about her delight with being a diabetic.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, DropTheSoap said:

That was a good episode. I was not surprised in the least that Justin's mom bailed on him. I think it's for the best that she did that pre-move. I doubt he was surprised, either. I hope he continues with his success.

When your parent is an addict it does not surprise you when they let you down but it always hurts.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

I hope the producers are listening. I'm sure that they seek out the craziest trainwrecks they can find, and heaven knows we love us some trainwrecks around here, but there's a real audience for uplift, too. More like this one, please!

• Love 14

I found Justin very endearing.  He was neat, articulate, and self-aware.  He grabbed the opportunity to change his life and ran with it!  Went to a gym right off the bat! Didn't just sit sadly looking at his salads and chicken breast.  He and his dad had a great connection, especially after being together in Houston and getting their tattoos.

His mom gave the classic "non-apology" of "well, I'm sorry you didn't get the mother you deserved."  Not, "from now on I'm going to be there for you." All of her behaviors pointed to ongoing addiction: the backing out of commitments and acting shady. I think when he said the conversation went well, he meant that he realized that Mom wasn't going to be dependable, ever- and that was ok because he had his new, healthier self and his father.

I cannot for the life of me understand how these super-morbidly obese people lie on their stomachs and eat.

• Love 14

I literally found this forum tonight after watching Justin's episode on Amazon and just searched it to see if anyone else was as impressed as I was. I've watched M600L since it started and like others I just was really drawn to Justin and his story. I can't quite pin down why, but aside from his obvious weight issue, he really had his sh!t together. He knew he had a problem, and he was taking big steps (therapy, Hell, even ordering takeout salads) even before going down to Houston. And, he wore regular clothing, had a tidy house, and spoke with proper grammar. As many have said, "did he sign with the wrong show?" Honestly, that was probably one of the most inspirational episodes I've ever seen, and I usually avoid the inspiration in favor of the trainwreck...

If he were my patient I'd be proud of him as well. He needs to realize Mom isn't ever going to be there for him, which is a heartbreaking thing to accept, but if she hasn't proven herself over 20+ years, the chances of swooping in to be your guardian angel are pretty much nil.

• Love 19
11 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

But I mean I don't think he really had agoraphobia, in the sense that it was all based on the fact he was so obese he had major fear of going out for being stared at and if something were to happen no one could help him. If you take being fat away the agoraphobia would go away too. 

Yes - I was glad the therapist told him he had to go out to get over it.  Because after dealing with it for too long it could become a thing on its own.  Isn't a phobia technically an irrational fear?  In that case his fear was rational - that he wouldn't fit where he went, or would have an accident and not be able to be helped and look ridiculous.  But after coddling that fear for so long it becomes the fear, and it seems that he found that going out did make it less.

7 hours ago, Henri205 said:

I heard him say disability too, but it seemed to me that he also had some savings from his career days and he seemed to know how to manage his money well.

6 hours ago, DropTheSoap said:

That was a good episode. I was not surprised in the least that Justin's mom bailed on him. I think it's for the best that she did that pre-move. I doubt he was surprised, either. I hope he continues with his success.

As soon as he said she was "traveling for a couple weeks" I knew she was out.  What on/off-again drug addict "travels for a couple weeks"? Please.  And then she tells him she can't swing it financially - ha bitch!  He (and the show) would be paying all your bills; it would be the cheapest you ever lived.

ETA:  I was just perusing the live chat and wanted to stick up for step-mom a bit - we don't know that she didn't like him, just that he felt unloved.  He also said that he had his dad all to himself, and then suddenly she was there with a sister and a half-sister (which implies to me that half-sister came along close to when they all moved in together) - I think he was an anxious and needy child (due to bio mom's issues and behavior), and it doesn't necessarily follow that stepmom didn't like him; he may have just decided he was unwelcome.  He said that she did him a disservice by trying to control his food once he started getting really big, but in the next breath he said that at college, without her efforts he really started gaining more.  So I don't think all the evidence is in that she was a bad guy (gal) in this situation.

Edited by princelina
  • Love 16
20 minutes ago, ZeldaZee said:

I literally found this forum tonight after watching Justin's episode on Amazon and just searched it to see if anyone else was as impressed as I was. I've watched M600L since it started and like others I just was really drawn to Justin and his story. I can't quite pin down why, but aside from his obvious weight issue, he really had his sh!t together. He knew he had a problem, and he was taking big steps (therapy, Hell, even ordering takeout salads) even before going down to Houston. And, he wore regular clothing, had a tidy house, and spoke with proper grammar. As many have said, "did he sign with the wrong show?" Honestly, that was probably one of the most inspirational episodes I've ever seen, and I usually avoid the inspiration in favor of the trainwreck...

If he were my patient I'd be proud of him as well. He needs to realize Mom isn't ever going to be there for him, which is a heartbreaking thing to accept, but if she hasn't proven herself over 20+ years, the chances of swooping in to be your guardian angel are pretty much nil.

If you can, join the live chat next week.  We love the good, bad and ugly and have a great time no matter what.  I cheered so loud when Dr. Paradise was his on show therapist, my husband, who does not watch, thought I had lost my mind!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

When your parent is an addict it does not surprise you when they let you down but it always hurts.

Totally makes sense. But at least by the end Justin was addressing that, and coming to a more adult relationship with her.

• Love 4

I also didn't get an impression that his stepmother mistreated him.  He may have been just jealous of the relationship she had with her natural kids and that he did not have with his Mom...  Completely understandable in his position and at his age.  Lots of young kids get jealous of their younger siblings even if it is a loving family and all are fully related to one another.  Or feel that they were not as loved as the other kid(s) - my uncle and my Dad both believed the other had been the favorite son.  And the first weeks/months must have been a little awkward as they got to know each other - something stepmother obviously did not have with the children she had known from birth, or not that he as a child could observe - so he could have felt different for that reason, or the fact that as a boy he could be treated differently because some people believe that boys should be tough while girls can show their feelings, for example.  I did not get it from him that he really had any hard feelings for his stepmother, and "redheaded stepchild" could be him trying to make a joke (he is a bit self-deprecating, with "I am one of the heaviest people alive" , etc.) for all we know.  

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 7

I'm watching the Supersized episode, and that is such a naughty pun isn't it?

I totally hate Justin's mother.    She says she's shocked at his weight, but then makes him that gut bomb of waffles, and sausage gravy that's so bad for him.

The mother was so freaking stoned through the whole episode, and it was so predictable that she was going to dump him again for her addictions.    I hope he's finally learned that she never will be a parent to him, and that he needs to stop trying to get her back.    I don't trust the mother to rip him off for any penny she can get either.    

I can only think of a few jobs that consist of driving all over, and I don't think she'll ever get a CDL, since most companies drug test.      The latest Clint Eastwood movie offers a possibility for driving all over, but I doubt anyone would trust her to do that either.     

I hope that Justin keeps on his 'journey' gets his skin removals, and becomes a total success at weight loss.     I'm betting with the shedding of the weight, that a lot of his anxiety will diminish, and he'll make some friends.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 14
33 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

If you can, join the live chat next week.  We love the good, bad and ugly and have a great time no matter what.  I cheered so loud when Dr. Paradise was his on show therapist, my husband, who does not watch, thought I had lost my mind!

I don't have actual television (I get the show from Amazon) so while I love the idea of participating in a live chat I don't think I can participate, alas!

I've struggled with weight for most of my life (no trauma, I just always liked food) and good or bad, I actually do watch this show as a reminder of what COULD happen if I just let my love of food dictate my whole life. I've never been nearly as bad as these folks but, "for the grace of God go I" etc.

Justin seems like a sensible guy who has issues but who knows what needs to be done and does it. He is a strong person whether he realizes it or not. There have been many subjects on the show with drug-addicted parents and he's the most "normal" of that unfortunate group. He knows his mother is going to let him down and he's pre-planned for that as I'm sure he has his entire life with her. That's heartbreaking but admirable at the same time.

And, Hell, I have a huge soft-spot for gingers so I'll automatically be in his corner for that.

• Love 12
19 hours ago, silversage said:

I am so glad his mother did not go with him to Texas. He may have not done as well if she took off again. Glad his father made sure he would be able to stick it out before he committed to go.

What a refreshing story.

When he was video chatting with her I got the sense from her demeanor that she was using again. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Hellga said:

I also didn't get an impression that his stepmother mistreated him.  He may have been just jealous of the relationship she had with her natural kids and that he did not have with his Mom...  Completely understandable in his position and at his age.

It was interesting to me that there WERE step/half siblings and a stepmother, the entire family he grew up with and didn't fit in with, there's not a single "talking head" segment with at least one of those family members. Or ANYONE outside of Justin and his parents (hey, with this show, the 3rd-cousin-twice-removed gets a soundbite).

Justin seems to be that person who decides to grow up decently despite his circumstances. He has his whole life ahead of him and it seems he's grasping the bull by the horns. Rock on, dude.

16 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

When he was video chatting with her I got the sense from her demeanor that she was using again. 

Ohhh, Hell yes. She was completely out of it, and you could tell that he knew she was as well.

ETA: Man, Justin is completely used to his mother making promises and letting him down. Hell, it takes a lot for a family court to award full custody to a father, especially 20 years ago. That woman is toxic.

Edited by ZeldaZee
  • Love 10

My step-son had never seen the show before, and he wandered by when I was watching it on the tlc.go website, and got interested.  I had to tell him that Justin is unlike any we ever see -- college-educated, owns his house, went to the gym right off the bat, gets around decently by himself, very self-aware, and takes responsibility for how he got where he is.  My step-son asked if I think Justin will make it, and I said yes.  Then I had to leave the house for a few hours, and the whole time I was driving back home, I was thinking about Justin and keeping my fingers crossed that he would do well.  So the second I got back in the house, I continued the episode, and, woo-hoo, Justin absolutely killed it!!!

13 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

If you can believe some of the tabloid-type websites, then one of them said that Justin isn't posting much on social media, and not showing full body pictures, so the guess is that they're doing a follow up on him.    

That scared me into thinking he wasn't showing full body pictures on SM because he had gained and was embarrassed, so I really, really, hope that's not the case!

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Hellga said:

I also didn't get an impression that his stepmother mistreated him.  He may have been just jealous of the relationship she had with her natural kids and that he did not have with his Mom...  Completely understandable in his position and at his age.  Lots of young kids get jealous of their younger siblings even if it is a loving family and all are fully related to one another.  Or feel that they were not as loved as the other kid(s) - my uncle and my Dad both believed the other had been the favorite son.  And the first weeks/months must have been a little awkward as they got to know each other - something stepmother obviously did not have with the children she had known from birth, or not that he as a child could observe - so he could have felt different for that reason, or the fact that as a boy he could be treated differently because some people believe that boys should be tough while girls can show their feelings, for example.  I did not get it from him that he really had any hard feelings for his stepmother, and "redheaded stepchild" could be him trying to make a joke (he is a bit self-deprecating, with "I am one of the heaviest people alive" , etc.) for all we know.  

I didn’t get the impression that the Step-Mother mistreated him, but I don’t find it hard to believe that she may have resented having to be sole caregiver to a child that wasn’t biologically hers, while her husband was gone working as a truck driver. (Then why would you marry a man who had sole custody of his child and worked out of town?!!)

Again, not saying she was mean or cruel to him, but it’s clear that he never grew “in her heart” like her bio children were. She was there to make sure he was clean, safe, fed and at school on time, deal with any medical emergencies but Justin’s emotional needs weren’t being met. She (the step mom) probably wanted to be married (for whatever reason) and Justin’s Dad was a decent enough guy. Having to care for Justin was “the price”. Now had Justin’s Dad been home every night to parent him things likely would’ve been better for Justin at home, but he wasn’t.

It’s kind of analogous to children that grow up being raised by a grandparent/uncle/aunt who do care for them- by getting them to adulthood, but the kid always knows its out of duty not love. Life wasn’t “bad” but kids know when they are loved compared to when they are tolerated. 

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Life wasn’t “bad” but kids know when they are loved compared to when they are tolerated. 

This is a very important distinction because it can and does cause problems. It most likely contributed to his self-deprecating nature, as he could have felt like he was a burden, so why not joke about it? 

I know people IRL who were tolerated and not loved. They are hot messes. Not almost 700 pounds, but similar issues. 

• Love 8