Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: We Continue to Truck

tessaray
  • Start Topic

13 minutes ago, UYI said:

The restaurant closed down, at least. I thought the department/clothing store part of it stayed around. 

Yes, reflecting the changed economic conditions in Lanford, Rodbell's replaced its restaurant with a "bargain bin" clearance department.  The store itself remained.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

And what the fuck is the Matthew Broderick character supposed to be?  

Peter was being set up to be a foil for Dan.  Dan's "Get up early, work hard, support your family" could be contrasted against Peter's "I'm better than you because I have a lot of education and don't get my hands dirty at work."

It reminded me of the first time Dan really stood up for Mark.   David was putting Mark down for not being intellectual, and Dan let loose on David, saying that at least Mark went to work and ground it out every day to take care of his family.

I think the main reason they dropped it was there is so much going on already.

8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yes. Reflecting the changed economic conditions in Lanford, Rodbell's replaced its restaurant with a "bargain bin" clearance department.  The store itself remained.

What a great analogy for Lanford's economy at the time.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, eel2178 said:

They opened the door for a k-1 visa scenario, or a "stop separating families" tirade.

I would not be surprised if someone has they should get married spiel so he could stay in the country (do they do allow that anymore?)

1 minute ago, bigskygirl said:

I would not be surprised if someone has they should get married spiel so he could stay in the country (do they do allow that anymore?)

That does not work if you are undocumented.  It would have done no good - he would have been deported anyway. 

• Love 4

Jackie’s reaction was as much about Roseanne as it was Peter. That’s why she went back to the Lunch Box.   Every other crisis in her life has been solved, made better, or at least comforted by Roseanne.  

I'm admitting that I had a little bit of the ugly cry when Jackie finally broke. Being "Lanford's Premier Life Coach" doesn't make one immune to not dealing well with grief.  And I'm guessing she got her Life Coach training and certification on the internet (remember when she took a massage class and was massaging Roseanne on the kitchen table at one point - "I'm TENSE! I'm TENSE!")

I'm actually happy Darlene didn't go to Chicago with her boyfriend. It seemed like things went from zero to one hundred with that relationship and they weren't too compatible. I think it would have been worse for Darlene to come home with her tail between her legs for the second time. 

IMHO most of the Conners' poor decisions came not necessarily from outside sources, but because they do whatever the hell they want. Remember when Dan got his payout at the garage? They didn't pay off bills, they went to Disney World! (yes I know it was an advertisement for Disney built into the plot). Get a little inheritance? Everybody goes out to an expensive strained dinner! Feel like you're missing out on your hard-partying days? Buy a bike shop! Get pissed at your parents? Marry your hoodlum boyfriend! Don't want to do desk duty and collect a sweet pension while doing something else with your free time? Quit the force and dump the best boyfriend you ever had, only to hook up with an abusive guy! Lots and lots of bad choices that had everything to do with the "do what you feel like" mentality. 

And I just realized I sounded like Bev there. Shoot me. 

Edited by ItsHelloPattiagain
grammar matters
  • Love 16
19 hours ago, Bastet said:

But, holy crap, was that tuna casserole cold?!

Ha! I was thinking the same thing. I made the same face at the very thought of tuna casserole (with potato chips on top, was it?) as Emilio did when he tasted it.

(But now I kinda want a tuna sandwich...)

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Ha! I was thinking the same thing. I made the same face at the very thought of tuna casserole (with potato chips on top, was it?) as Emilio did when he tasted it.

(But now I kinda want a tuna sandwich...)

Haha I love that part!  And the “white heritage” comment.   I really hope he is coming back somehow, he and Becky have so much potential-  both romantic and comedic.  

• Love 11

willowk: Actually, in the 1980s when they were being built a lot of malls pulled shopping away from town centers, and they were opposed in numerous areas for that reason, as was Wal-Mart when those stores started being built. Quite often, malls were built just outside the town limits, and the result was a dying town center, loss of revenues for the town, and so on. Ecommerce is now killing the malls. It's a sort of cycle of shopping.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, izabella said:

One of the moments I found most touching was the conversation between Darlene and Dan about her moving to Chicago.  Dan was upbeat and supportive with her, and didn't say anything to make her feel bad or sad.  But as soon as she walked out, we see Dan turn away and his face fell. 

I could see why Dan was upset.  Dan loves all his children, but he had a really close relationship with Darlene.  Darlene is working regularly now so she is probably helping with the bills, whereas, if Becky moves in, Dan will be dealing with more bills and a baby.  Roseanne is dead, and Dan is picking up the slack with Jackie.  DJ and Gina seem to be doing okay, but with DJ's PTSD, both having served in the war, and trying to readjust, if Dan needs someone to vent to, it will be Darlene.

3 hours ago, RocknRollZombie said:

That's one thing that always will irked me. We got to know more about Mark's home life/upbringing through David. We only got a glimpse and mentions of their marriage in the later seasons. But I appericiated that glimpse because it spoke volumes. They would have waited for each other. Example, Mark telling Becky that It would have taken them four years more to get were they are if Becky had gone to college. And yes they were loyal to each other during both their dating phase(Dean wasn't a serious thing for Becky,Mark wouldn't go out with any other girl even though Becky told him to.) and marriage. While Darlene and David had this whole on again off again thing during their dating phase. But at least their a nice thing called fanfiction in which I can write all my headcannons.

I thought Darlene and David should have stayed broken up once Darlene went to college.  It would have made perfect sense.

3 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I thought Rodbell's closed down in the original series because I remember Leon telling Roseanne he could not find her a job in the mall because she waited on the department managers too much aka they did not care for her leading to no jobs chances for her.

They are closing down the mall where I live and knocking it down. Rumors are floating around some state offices might move into the spot now.

They closed down three malls near where I lived in Florida in less than two years, and two more were closing when I left.

I can understand why the Lunchbox went out of business.  It seemed the original premise was Roseanne, Jackie, Nancy, and Bev would be the owners, and the employees, thereby, reducing their overhead.  They only served a limited menu (which was a lot like fast food - so easy to make, serve, and maintain inventory - again without a lot of overhead).  When Leon came on board, he knew how to operate a restaurant efficiently so he increased their profits (they were still splitting them among four people though - so while it might have provided them a decent living, I doubt they were all getting rich quick from it).  However, in a recession, restaurants are some of the first things to fail.  Roseanne, Jackie, and Nancy weren't all that good at making wise financial decisions, and even the best finance wizards can't force people to eat out when they don't have money.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

I could see why Dan was upset.  Dan loves all his children, but he had a really close relationship with Darlene.  Darlene is working regularly now so she is probably helping with the bills, whereas, if Becky moves in, Dan will be dealing with more bills and a baby.  Roseanne is dead, and Dan is picking up the slack with Jackie.  DJ and Gina seem to be doing okay, but with DJ's PTSD, both having served in the war, and trying to readjust, if Dan needs someone to vent to, it will be Darlene.

I thought Darlene and David should have stayed broken up once Darlene went to college.  It would have made perfect sense.

They closed down three malls near where I lived in Florida in less than two years, and two more were closing when I left.

I can understand why the Lunchbox went out of business.  It seemed the original premise was Roseanne, Jackie, Nancy, and Bev would be the owners, and the employees, thereby, reducing their overhead.  They only served a limited menu (which was a lot like fast food - so easy to make, serve, and maintain inventory - again without a lot of overhead).  When Leon came on board, he knew how to operate a restaurant efficiently so he increased their profits (they were still splitting them among four people though - so while it might have provided them a decent living, I doubt they were all getting rich quick from it).  However, in a recession, restaurants are some of the first things to fail.  Roseanne, Jackie, and Nancy weren't all that good at making wise financial decisions, and even the best finance wizards can't force people to eat out when they don't have money.

I bet Darlene is not helping much since she was hoping for a big settlement from the one potential lawsuit against DJ's employer due to Dan's injury, and she quit her waitress job. She was willing to let Dan pay for his son to go to drama camp or whatever camp it was and for Dan to pay for Harris's college expenses at the expense of DJ losing his job. I also remember Dan saying he needed to hire younger guys instead of the guys from Chuck's group because he had three extra mouths to feed aka Darlene and her two kids.

8 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I don't think we're meant to see the characters as stupid, or that the idea is how we need to watch ignorance to feel good. The idea mostly seems to be that working hard, having education, will only get you so far. That's what the message of Roseanne always was. Remember when they brought in a family member who was successful beyond a subsistence level? She was played by Joan Collins, in a spoof of someone viewers knew as rich and glitzy. 

While no show is true to life, I don't think the depiction of various forms of struggle is hugely unrealistic. It's not like the old TV episode where people win the lottery and lose the ticket. You have people who have tried their whole lives and just been left behind. Or people like Darlene, who did everything they were supposed to do, but life still pulled the rug out from under them.

Characters like Becky are, for me, about as painfully true to life as a sitcom can get. Not the whole bit about being impregnated by an illegal immigrant who is then deported (that is melodrama, albeit melodrama that has some poignancy, predictable as the whole scenario was), but everything else about her - the "smart" person who was supposed to be more than she is, who got kicked hard by life and never got back up, who's scared, who hates herself, who is simultaneously numbed by a daily routine and terrified of what will happen when she wakes up in the morning. 

The only character who has really created her own problems (as Becky's problems aren't from the baby or the deportation) is Jackie, which is pretty true to how she was on the original show. 

I do think if the show stays around and we get this type of material over and over, it will become difficult to watch or to care, but for just the first season I think it fits the tone of what the characters have been and doesn't have the bitter, sour tones of the last 3-4 years of the original show.

All of this. Yeah. This family's current situation is very similar to what I see from people here in my town, and what my family have dealt with when we had some rather lengthy rough periods as well. Usually when any good stuff does happen, it's small and comes in spurts, so if these guys do get any good changes in their lives going forward, they're probably not going to be all that dramatic or significant. That may be depressing for some to watch, but for me, it's nice to see a show that is acknowledging this stuff.

(I do hope they can find some bright spots at some point, though, yes-but not because the show would be too depressing otherwise. More just 'cause I like these characters and I do want them to be happy :).)

Regarding the discussion of Jackie, the part of her outburst that especially struck me was when she was hitting Peter as she told him to get out. I felt that was a rather interesting, and particularly heartbreaking, reaction from her, given her own history with Fisher. 

As for the talk of malls, yeah, the one here in my town is beyond dead, too. We've lost so many of the stores and food places there, there's been prolonged back and forth and discussion in the city council about what all to do with the building itself. As of now, it sounds like they want to try and turn it into some kind of convention center, and they're going to break ground next month on an ice rink that will go into a portion of the mall at some point as well. It's really sad. When I go there and look at the empty spaces where stores and restaurants used to be I can immediately recall what used to be where and be taken back to being a kid and spending weekends at the mall, going to the arcade or waiting in a long line at the theater to see a movie or spending a bunch of time in the bookstore or things of that sort. It's jarring to see how much things have changed in just a couple decades' time. 

And on a significantly lighter note, my family and I are apparently odd Midwesterners, because we have never put potato chips on casseroles. That sounds kind of gross to me, actually. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 9
26 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

Also, I think he just fundamentally enjoys having Darlene and the kids in the house now that Roseanne is dead.  They drive him batty sometimes, as families do, but I think they're mostly a good distraction for him.  Plus he gets to amuse himself with the "ghost of children past" thing, watching Darlene deal with the same things she used to throw at them when she was that age.

26 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

Gods, yes; they were horrible for each other from that time on.  They were great as first loves, and met at the perfect time -- working on the comic book with him, becoming friends, and then dating, that all helped Darlene transition from the kid she'd been to the young adult she was going to become and their relationship gave him a new place to live when he needed one.  They were good for each other.  And then they weren't (she was just an ass in general, but he was selfish, too, and it had just run its course), and that's okay; that's how most relationships go, and it's part of the learning process. 

But then she got pregnant and decided to marry him and have the baby.  They seemed to be making a go of it, although we don't know much about that time, but then he fell apart after Mark's death and abandoned his family.  For years and years.  He is just now working at being part of the kids' lives again, so figure out how to co-parent, but move the fuck on from each other romantically.  I don't like seeing her (or him, but I'm not all that magnanimous towards someone who abandoned his family and we haven't had enough time to trust if his newfound commitment to actually being a father is going to last) stuck in this relationship that stopped being a good one a very long time ago.  They love each other?  Yeah, and?  That's the first drop in the bucket of what you need to make a relationship work, and they don't have enough of the rest.  Maybe a few years down the road, but it's not something they should be contemplating right now.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 12
Just now, Annber03 said:

And on a significantly lighter note, my family and I are apparently odd Midwesterners, because we have never put potato chips on casseroles. That sounds kind of gross to me, actually. 

Ours either.  I do see it at potlucks and other gatherings though.  I guess it's all what you're used to.  My mother's family is from the south, so we tended to have plenty of bacon/bacon grease in the old comfort foods.   

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

My 1947 Fun With Cooking cookbook has a recipe for tuna casserole with potato chips. I googled the author, but couldn't find what part of the country she was from.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Also, I think he just fundamentally enjoys having Darlene and the kids in the house now that Roseanne is dead.  They drive him batty sometimes, as families do, but I think they're mostly a good distraction for him.  Plus he gets to amuse himself with the "ghost of children past" thing, watching Darlene deal with the same things she used to throw at them when she was that age.

Gods, yes; they were horrible for each other from that time on.  They were great as first loves, and met at the perfect time -- working on the comic book with him, becoming friends, and then dating, that all helped Darlene transition from the kid she'd been to the young adult she was going to become and their relationship gave him a new place to live when he needed one.  They were good for each other.  And then they weren't (she was just an ass in general, but he was selfish, too, and it had just run its course), and that's okay; that's how most relationships go, and it's part of the learning process. 

But then she got pregnant and decided to marry him and have the baby.  They seemed to be making a go of it, although we don't know much about that time, but then he fell apart after Mark's death and abandoned his family.  For years and years.  He is just now working at being part of the kids' lives again, so figure out how to co-parent, but move the fuck on from each other romantically.  I don't like seeing her (or him, but I'm not all that magnanimous towards someone who abandoned his family and we haven't had enough time to trust if his newfound commitment to actually being a father is going to last) stuck in this relationship that stopped being a good one a very long time ago.  They love each other?  Yeah, and?  That's the first drop in the bucket of what you need to make a relationship work, and they don't have enough of the rest.  Maybe a few years down the road, but it's not something they should be contemplating right now.

That’s a real life scenario, not a fictional scenario ;).  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

my family and I are apparently odd Midwesterners, because we have never put potato chips on casseroles. That sounds kind of gross to me, actually. 

I'm in the midwest, and from what I know they usually put something on the top of tuna casserole to make it crunchy.  On the wikipedia page (linked to below), it says it is often topped with potato chips, corn flakes, bread crumbs or canned fried onions.  I've heard of and tried all of those variations.

The idea of Becky eating it cold sounds nasty though (if it was cold).  Could be a pregnancy craving, I guess...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuna_casserole

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Not4Me said:

Why is Matthew Broderick such a terrible actor on TV, but not on stage? He’s so wooden here.

He wasn't very good, but he also wasn't well served by the writing; this character was more of a cartoon villain than Fisher, where the writing was so frakkin' brilliant you didn't even realize some of the warning signs until you looked back after the abuse was revealed and realized, "Oh, yeah - that was a red flag."

14 minutes ago, rmontro said:

The idea of Becky eating it cold sounds nasty though (if it was cold). 

I'm the one who brought it up, and I assumed it was cold because Emilio brought it with him (in weather that was snowy cold) and when he opened it, there was no steam.  Whether they meant to imply it was cold, or simply didn't bother creating the visual reality of opening a container of warm food into cold air, I don't know (nor do I know if it would have even been feasible to keep it warm depending on how long their outing lasted before he surprised her with it), but it played like it was cold.  I confess, I've never tried tuna casserole warm, but it doesn't sound very appetizing, and cold just sounds outright yucky.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'm the one who brought it up, and I assumed it was cold because Emilio brought it with him (in weather that was snowy cold) and when he opened it, there was no steam.

I thought the same thing when I watched it.  He could have kept it warm had he stored it in some sort of insulated bag, but I didn't see what he pulled it out of.  He didn't seem to be familiar with the dish, he might not even have known it was supposed to be served warm.

38 minutes ago, Bastet said:

He wasn't very good, but he also wasn't well served by the writing; this character was more of a cartoon villain than Fisher, where the writing was so frakkin' brilliant you didn't even realize some of the warning signs until you looked back after the abuse was revealed and realized, "Oh, yeah - that was a red flag."

In a nutshell that’s been the problem with this reboot for the last 2 seasons. It’s like the writers never watched the original series (seasons 1-6, the best years) when the subtly and nuances in the writing and directing really made a difference in how wonderfully the ensemble cast could portray a scene. I used to think the Roseanne reboot’s bad writing last year was due to Roseanne Barr’s influence, but I can’t make that same argument anymore on The Connors. 

I agree the dialogue between Peter and Jackie stinks because of the bad writing, but Matthew Broderick sounds like he’s phoning it in that it’s distractingly bad.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Not4Me said:

Why is Matthew Broderick such a terrible actor on TV, but not on stage? He’s so wooden here.

That could be the answer to that in and of itself: stage actors play to the back of the theater, speaking as loudly as possible and probably venturing frequently into the overdramatic. That's harder to get away with on TV. 

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Not4Me said:

In a nutshell that’s been the problem with this reboot for the last 2 seasons. It’s like the writers never watched the original series (seasons 1-6, the best years) when the subtly and nuances in the writing and directing really made a difference in how wonderfully the ensemble cast could portray a scene. I used to think the Roseanne reboot’s bad writing last year was due to Roseanne Barr’s influence, but I can’t make that same argument anymore on The Connors. 

I agree the dialogue between Peter and Jackie stinks because of the bad writing, but Matthew Broderick sounds like he’s phoning it in that it’s distractingly bad.

I think The Connors was rushed onto the air after the whole fiasco with Roseanne Barr.  I thought the writers did a great job on short notice, and while there are still some kinks, the warmth and heart of the family relationships was still there.  I saw upthread that someone said they had been renewed.  I think next season will be even better since the writers will have had more time to work on the writing.

On Broderick, I also noticed his forehead was botoxed, and that stuff doesn't help actors emote naturally.  It's part of the reason he seemed so stiff, in addition to his body movements and personality.

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I think it's a really bad idea to move your kids in with a guy you barely know, who is also your employer.

Boy howdy.  And for NO ONE in your life to point this out when you bring it up is totally unrealistic.

These people have inevitably changed some due to the experiences they had in the many years we weren't watching them, but for Darlene to jump to "awesome," Dan - who, while ultra-sensitive to suggestions Roseanne gave things up by marrying him and starting a family, routinely flipped his shit when his daughters limited their options by way of choices they made because of a guy - to offer unequivocal encouragement and only when alone show his sadness rather than at least asking cautionary questions and then accepting it as Darlene's choice to make (which is what Roseanne always encouraged him to do back when he freaked out), Becky to get in some typical sisterly messing with Darlene but only as some fun before saying, "Of course you should go," and the kids to be so enthused by the idea of moving back to Chicago they have not a moment's "Wait, but we'll be living with Who?" hesitation?  No.  Just, no. 

• Love 14
39 minutes ago, izabella said:

On Broderick, I also noticed his forehead was botoxed, and that stuff doesn't help actors emote naturally.  It's part of the reason he seemed so stiff, in addition to his body movements and personality.

Thank you!  I was wondering what the hell happened to his face.  I was curious as to whether he had a stroke in the past.  He also seemed like he was trying to speak moving his lips but not his jaw.  It was just weird all around.

Becky's phone scene had me in tears, as did Jackie's meltdown.

• Love 5
On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 8:20 PM, BeachDays said:

I haven’t seen the episode yet (haha I always start my new ep posts like that), but Sara and Johnny have always been a team, bffs, partners in crime, whatever.   Sara is incredibly invested in the relationship between Darlene and David-  she has said in interviews she thinks about them and literally cries.   So this relationship between the characters will never go away-  at least not as long as Sara has a say.   With Big Bang Theory ending this season, it’s an opportunity to bring back David on the show as a regular.   I might be completely wrong but I think the idea of them being permanently separated is not one that was ever truly the goal.   More like buying their time until they could be back together again.   

This rings true for me anyway. There are some loves you just can't escape sometimes even when the person that inspired it completely changes.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don't think he was a cartoon villain as he didn't really do anything reprehensible to Jackie the way that Fisher did. He didn't have that level of control over her life. He was a pretentious idiot, a user, and a cheater, but it was Jackie who prolonged a relationship she knew was a mistake until she couldn't take it anymore. He was mostly a tool to give Jackie something to do beyond family scenes and cause her to have a breakdown. 

I don't think the writing for him was really that horrible for what he was - it could have been a neat little gig for some actors. Broderick just seemed off and stilted from the getgo. I thought he was a little better in his last few episodes, but I'm glad he's gone.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Boy howdy.  And for NO ONE in your life to point this out when you bring it up is totally unrealistic.

These people have inevitably changed some due to the experiences they had in the many years we weren't watching them, but for Darlene to jump to "awesome," Dan - who, while ultra-sensitive to suggestions Roseanne gave things up by marrying him and starting a family, routinely flipped his shit when his daughters limited their options by way of choices they made because of a guy - to offer unequivocal encouragement and only when alone show his sadness rather than at least asking cautionary questions and then accepting it as Darlene's choice to make (which is what Roseanne always encouraged him to do back when he freaked out), Becky to get in some typical sisterly messing with Darlene but only as some fun before saying, "Of course you should go," and the kids to be so enthused by the idea of moving back to Chicago they have not a moment's "Wait, but we'll be living with Who?" hesitation?  No.  Just, no. 

I think part of this is down to the short episode order and having to pack three stories into 20 minutes. We also seemingly weren't supposed to care about most of the family reaction because the focus was on Darlene. I do think that on paper Darlene would have been much more hesitant than she was, even before David told her he wanted to try again. Something just didn't translate onscreen. The same is true for Dan, I think - I think that he was just covering and didn't want to fight with her so he said she should go, but it didn't come across onscreen.

The other part is that I think most of the family is just used at this point to letting Darlene have her own way. 

The only part that really niggled at me was Mark not having more of a reaction. 

• Love 4

2 questions..... 

Did Jackie and Bev and Peter all live in that apartment together?  

Are Darlene and David still married?   I know she mentioned getting a divorce but not sure if they ever did anything about it.  

• Love 2

I'd just like to point out the original Roseanne never had the Conners out hunting possum to survive. They are working poor. Are they Winter's Bone, no. I don't feel the show is any more or less authentic than the original.

As for Broderick, I think his performance was very deliberately off-putting from first episode to last. Peter was an obnoxious space cadet.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, Not4Me said:

The original Roseanne, the best years anyway, was a very unique time and place, with new characters, with some of the best sitcom writers around, and a first-rate cast who were fresh to television (in major roles anyway). 

The reboot has characters we've known for 30 years, played by actors who, in some cases, we've seen in one project or another for 30 years, and characters we know inside and out. 

I do think the writing is more glib than the best of the original, and I think that the kids are much more Hollywood than the original (although I think it's gotten better with Mark and Harris as the season went along), but there are glimmers, which is probably about the best I can expect - it's more than I got out of the last 3-4 years of the original. The episode earlier this season where Dan was grieving for Roseanne and had the singalong at the table with the guys felt so much like the old show (not just in trying to be, but also in genuine spirit), it tells me they still have the ability to tap into that world if they try. Ideally, they can do that more often while being their own show. 

It may not happen, but I think the potential is more than there.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, UYI said:

That could be the answer to that in and of itself: stage actors play to the back of the theater, speaking as loudly as possible and probably venturing frequently into the overdramatic. That's harder to get away with on TV. 

I also think he is playing the character as asked. He is purposefully wooden and dramatic. 

• Love 9

To me the writing is way sharper than most of the last three seasons of the original show - especially the last two. The fact that they have a great deal of the original writing and directing staff back I'm sure heavily contributes to that. Is it perfect, no, but it's a damn sight better than anything beyond at least Season 7 AFAIC - and that season didn't give a shit about Becky.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 11

I'm just sorry they didn't use the opportunity for an in-joke with David saying that he couldn't see having kids with Blue because he found he weirdly felt for her more like a sister (since Galecki and Lewis played siblings Rusty and Audrey in Christmas Vacation in 1989).

Also just wanted to echo earlier comments about Galecki's acting. I'm a casual BBT viewer, and when the Roseanne revival started, I was absolutely shocked that I could not see any Leonard in the way Galecki played David. That made me think about all the other things I've seen Galecki in over the years, and he is an actor who fully slips into his characters, his characters never feel like "Johnny Galecki as Leonard," if that makes sense.

Someone else made a comment on an earlier thread that basically said that David and Darlene were each growing in their current relationships, fixing the mistakes they made in the relationship they had with each other. I think David's refusal to have kids with Blue showed that--old doormat David would have gone along with that to make her happy, but he recognizes that isn't the right thing for him. I think Darlene also learned to bend more in being with Ben, but she doesn't have to bend so far that she becomes unrecognizable, and I can't see Darlene thinking moving her kids in with her new boyfriend (who is also her boss), away from their father (who is trying to reestablish a relationship with his kids), is the best idea, even putting aside all the other reasons why her family needs her. To those who say, "What's the big deal, Chicago is only an hour away?!" if these people are all basically hand-to-mouth with their earnings, who would be able to afford the gas, or bus money, or train fare, or even the TIME, to be making the trip between Lanford and Chicago? I don't think Harris is old enough to drive yet, and, even if she were, I doubt Darlene has enough to buy a second car AND cover insurance so her kids could drive to Lanford to see their dad, and I don't get the impression David has a car of his own. Sure, an hour is not as far as three hours, but if you don't have the money to make the trip regardless, then that hour is still pretty far away.

I was really impressed with Lecy Goranson this season. Last year on Roseanne she felt very wooden and uncomfortable, so much so you could tell she had not been acting much in the intervening years since Roseanne ended. She really came into her own this season, and did well with the material she was given.

I'm looking forward to next season, I think there are a lot of stories still left to tell for the Conners!

• Love 18
9 hours ago, UYI said:

Especially after multiple takes and other actors that who are not use to that type of acting style.

4 hours ago, dvr devotee said:

I'm just sorry they didn't use the opportunity for an in-joke with David saying that he couldn't see having kids with Blue because he found he weirdly felt for her more like a sister (since Galecki and Lewis played siblings Rusty and Audrey in Christmas Vacation in 1989).

Also just wanted to echo earlier comments about Galecki's acting. I'm a casual BBT viewer, and when the Roseanne revival started, I was absolutely shocked that I could not see any Leonard in the way Galecki played David. That made me think about all the other things I've seen Galecki in over the years, and he is an actor who fully slips into his characters, his characters never feel like "Johnny Galecki as Leonard," if that makes sense.

Someone else made a comment on an earlier thread that basically said that David and Darlene were each growing in their current relationships, fixing the mistakes they made in the relationship they had with each other. I think David's refusal to have kids with Blue showed that--old doormat David would have gone along with that to make her happy, but he recognizes that isn't the right thing for him. I think Darlene also learned to bend more in being with Ben, but she doesn't have to bend so far that she becomes unrecognizable, and I can't see Darlene thinking moving her kids in with her new boyfriend (who is also her boss), away from their father (who is trying to reestablish a relationship with his kids), is the best idea, even putting aside all the other reasons why her family needs her. To those who say, "What's the big deal, Chicago is only an hour away?!" if these people are all basically hand-to-mouth with their earnings, who would be able to afford the gas, or bus money, or train fare, or even the TIME, to be making the trip between Lanford and Chicago? I don't think Harris is old enough to drive yet, and, even if she were, I doubt Darlene has enough to buy a second car AND cover insurance so her kids could drive to Lanford to see their dad, and I don't get the impression David has a car of his own. Sure, an hour is not as far as three hours, but if you don't have the money to make the trip regardless, then that hour is still pretty far away.

I was really impressed with Lecy Goranson this season. Last year on Roseanne she felt very wooden and uncomfortable, so much so you could tell she had not been acting much in the intervening years since Roseanne ended. She really came into her own this season, and did well with the material she was given.

I'm looking forward to next season, I think there are a lot of stories still left to tell for the Conners!

I think Harris got her license, and Dan fixed up an older car for her to drive. How much money is it going to cost for Darlene to commute a hour for her job. David can go to Chicago to see his kids or help pay for the kids to go see him. I am waiting to see if David and Darlene get back together. Darlene would probably expect Dan to let David move back in the house with them.

I feel sorry for Jackie. She had such a breakdown.

Also, I have to say that I like Harris more here in The Connors, over Season 10 of Roseanne. They've noticeably improved her character.

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I think Harris got her license, and Dan fixed up an older car for her to drive. How much money is it going to cost for Darlene to commute a hour for her job. David can go to Chicago to see his kids or help pay for the kids to go see him. I am waiting to see if David and Darlene get back together. Darlene would probably expect Dan to let David move back in the house with them.

Monthly train tickets should be around $110 to $200 to Chicago depending on where Landford is exactly located. Still cheaper filling up your own tank every few days. Also depends on if she need to take a bus or if she can walk from the train station.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, dvr devotee said:

I don't think Harris is old enough to drive yet

She is, there was at least one episode this season which depicted the fear Darlene and Dan had in driving with her. 

Also, just a PSA going forward here for everyone: it's Lanford. No extra "d" or "g". :) 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 8
21 hours ago, Bastet said:

I liked that, too.  When I read that we were going to see the Chinese restaurant where The Lunch Box used to be, I said I hoped they would incorporate into conversation the myriad restaurants that had come and gone in between (reflecting the reality that most independent restaurants do not make it anything resembling long term).  They didn't do that, but they made a similar point with that bit.

I had to laugh, because it seems that Chinese restaurants in this area, pop up in buildings where a popular restaurant once stood. Case in point, here in my area. A couple of the old red roofed Pizza Huts, and an adobe styled, southwestern motif Chi Chi's are now Asian themed cuisine (where I worked for 9 years in the late 80's and early 90's while I was in school). You KNOW I had to check out the mingling of cultures when they opened it up as a King's Buffet...and then as Golden Dragon...and then as Mongolian Bay...now I see that a Mexican themed restaurant has taken over the property and is restoring it back to the old design, similar to the Chi Chi's theme. My years there are also why I also laugh my ass off at Becky's work uniform. I wore that peasant style for nine freaking years.

So the Lunch Box redesigned as a Chinese restaurant? Utter perfection. I miss the Lunch Box. It was nice to see it again. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Lili said:

I feel sorry for Jackie. She had such a breakdown.

Also, I have to say that I like Harris more here in The Connors, over Season 10 of Roseanne. They've noticeably improved her character.

She is a younger version of Darlene and Roseanne. They seem to be going with a theme of not being a  good high school student, but she is talented enough to get an article in the hometown newspaper.

53 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

She is a younger version of Darlene and Roseanne. They seem to be going with a theme of not being a  good high school student, but she is talented enough to get an article in the hometown newspaper.

She did say she gets good grades (and scored high on the ACT) l don’t know how good they are but Darlene didn’t disagree with her.   Darlene also said she half-asses things so maybe she is just that smart that she can only half pay attention to things and still do well.  The article in the Chicago Sun-Times is very impressive for a high school student.  

• Love 5

I'm not sure how realistic it would be to have Emilio caught up in an ICE sting - especially with the government shut down. Heh - I guess they couldn't have foreseen that when they shot this episode. Generally speaking someone either would have had to make a phone call to turn this guy in - in which case they would have simply detained him, not swept the restaurant (they don't just do that randomly). Otherwise it would have been from a situation where there is a known element of undocumented workers and there are going to be a significant number of them, so ICE has been monitoring the place for a long time. As far as I can tell, Emilio was the only illegal working there. 

• Love 3
On 1/22/2019 at 6:20 PM, BeachDays said:

Sara is incredibly invested in the relationship between Darlene and David-  she has said in interviews she thinks about them and literally cries.   So this relationship between the characters will never go away-  at least not as long as Sara has a say. 

I wouldn't mind them co-parenting but I don't want them together until David grows the f*** up.

On 1/22/2019 at 8:13 PM, SirFilligryFlirt said:

Emilio got deported. He was just trying to live a better life!! He was there illegally Darlene!  

It's funny (not the "ha ha" kind, how most crimes, including some far more nasty ones, have a statute of limitations, but not illegal immigration.  Those who have done it aren't referred to as "someone who immigrated illegally",  but as an "illegal immigrant", as if that's the only facet of their being.

On 1/23/2019 at 7:19 AM, blondiec0332 said:

I chuckled when Dan talked about being at the mall and listing the stores that closed.  Sears. Radio Shack.  Spencer's Gifts.  All stores that have closed at my local mall.

And they were all the same space!

On 1/23/2019 at 9:54 AM, Pete Martell said:

Did anyone else laugh at poor Michael Fishman having more airtime in that American Housewife promo that he did in the actual episode?

I didn't really notice it until you pointed it out, but yeah, that was funny.

• Love 11
18 hours ago, eel2178 said:

My 1947 Fun With Cooking cookbook has a recipe for tuna casserole with potato chips. I googled the author, but couldn't find what part of the country she was from.

I found it in the 1940 census information. She was from North Carolina and living in South Carolina.

Edited by eel2178
  • Love 2

I'm in the Midwest but never ate casseroles with potato chips on top. It doesn't sound good but I suppose I shouldn't knock it till I try it. I've eaten them topped with bread crumbs, hashed potatoes, or  biscuits and like it. I even like cold casserole.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

ICA. There was also the problem of her personality. She was never going to have many opportunities because she was a obnoxious loudmouth and a bully with zero skills. And not to be shallow, she didn't exactly have the looks to set mens heart's aflame. She probably would have ended up living with Jackie because she never made very much money.

Remember how she got on Dan's case because she did not get the one office job. She could have taken computer classes or sign up for job training at the local employment office. There were programs in the 1990's for people who wanted to learn office skills.

In the case of Darlene, I do not think David or Ben are so great, and I do not understand her appeal either. I think Becky's baby daddy was a much better catch.

4 hours ago, gesundheit said:

Matthew Broderick has been in 50 times more films and TV shows than plays, so that ain't it. (And I assure you, he is often very wooden on stage, too!)

Peter reminded me of some kind of theatrical poser, acting like he was Shakespeare in this dinky little Midwest town - like he was more elevated and couth than the rest of those mere peasants. No wonder Jackie was attracted to him (remember back when Jackie worked with the local playhouse?). 

43 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I'm in the Midwest but never ate casseroles with potato chips on top. It doesn't sound good but I suppose I shouldn't knock it till I try it. I've eaten them topped with bread crumbs, hashed potatoes, or  biscuits and like it. I even like cold casserole.

There's an item that popped up on my Facebook feed randomly  called "funeral potatoes" - some kind of potatoes au gratin with bread crumbs or something on the top. Apparently it's some kind of dish that people bring to the home of the deceased after the funeral. I was informed it was a Midwest/ Utah/ Colorado type thing (as a transplanted Floridian most people just go to the Golden Corral after a funeral or order noshes from the local deli). 

One more thing about original recipe Roseanne the show - she was a woman of larger stature. I'm a big girl myself and I was amazed to see Roseanne dressed fairly nicely most of the type, even on her working class budget. How many larger women were on TV back then (and even now). 

• Love 4