Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E02: Reconnect

druzy
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Mambo Gladys said:

The only thing saving this show is that the kids are finally old enough to give their opinions on things rather than just “yes” or “no” answers. 

True, but unfortunately some of them are so accustomed to the standard questions in the cars that they still give their one word responses because they know they're only being asked because of the cameras. Especially Jace. 

• Love 3
On 1/21/2019 at 2:23 PM, BitterApple said:

Aw, did anyone else think it was so adorably sweet of Isaac to think of Javi's new baby as "his" family. I don't know why Kail had to rain on his parade like that. 

I think Lincoln actually brought it up first and Kail said Lincoln was right. And actually in a Kail sort of way I think she said it as kind as she could - Isaac seems like a SUPER duper sensitive type and it's probably best to give it straight to him right away so it doesn't grow into massive disappointment later on.

however it was really cute how Isaac thought people could only get married once, even if they divorced.  

On 1/21/2019 at 9:52 PM, justduckey said:

What time do Leah’s kids start school??? They get up st 5 AM and it’s pitch black when the bus comes????

Leah tweeted and said that the 'tardy bell' at the school is at 7:20. so freaking early. 

I'm so glad I lived close to my school. Pretty sure I was never up before 7 until getting a full time job after college. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, lezlers said:

Funniest part of the ep:

Kail "your dad's on the phone"

Kid "my dad?" 

Kail "no your dad" 

As she coordinates her various kids meeting up with various dads.  Keep it klassy, Kail.

As far as Andrew goes: he's 33 now so that would have made him...24 when he got teenage Jenelle pregnant?  Was that ever talked about???

Randy handled that beautifully.  I was really impressed.  

I actually didn't have a problem with Luis taking the DJ gig.  I assumed it'd be later at night when Stella was asleep anyway.  He's not there to visit Bri, he's there to see Stella, so what does it matter if he's not there late at night?  It's not like he'd be spending the night with them anyway.  But him not helping them set up and coming there without a present was fucked up.  He's definitely a deadbeat.  That's why you don't get knocked up by randos at da club, Bri.

Watching this show you'd think that's how American teenage girls let guys know they're interested, by presenting them with a child. 

• Love 7

An uncle of mine paid for his brother's plane ticket to come visit him for a long weekend; it was only in talking with the younger uncle that I realized that, although he was grateful for the ticket, he was also extremely stressed about the income he was forgoing by taking the trip - he's a musician and earns most of his money on weekends.  So, I wondered if that might have been a factor for Louis as well, and that he was simply trying to make up for foregone income.  Still, he said he wouldn't do any DJ'ing while he was there, and it doesn't seem like he's been much help. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, gunderda said:

I think Lincoln actually brought it up first and Kail said Lincoln was right. And actually in a Kail sort of way I think she said it as kind as she could - Isaac seems like a SUPER duper sensitive type and it's probably best to give it straight to him right away so it doesn't grow into massive disappointment later on.

however it was really cute how Isaac thought people could only get married once, even if they divorced.  

Leah tweeted and said that the 'tardy bell' at the school is at 7:20. so freaking early. 

I'm so glad I lived close to my school. Pretty sure I was never up before 7 until getting a full time job after college. 

I have never in my life heard of a school starting so early, that's insane!

• Love 5

One of the schools I attended as a child (it was a Pre-K through 8th grade parochial school) started at 7:15am.  I have never been a morning person and that SUCKED for 12/13 year old me.  (The local public school started at the same time.)

The primary schools where I live now starts around 8:30.  The middle and high schools start around 7:30.  My kids are too young for "real" school yet, but I know lots of parents who have to be at work or well on their commute by the 8:30 start time for primary schools or even by the time the bus picks up primary school students by their homes.  They end up scarmbling for and paying through the nose for before school childcare and transport to school for their K-5th graders.  I can see an upside to the early school day from that standpoint, I guess. I personally wish "the world" operated from like 11am-7pm (let alone 7:30 am or earlier start) and work/school days started later & we all stayed up later, etc....but I don't get to make the rules and over-productive morning people like my husband (bless ya'll's hearts) apparently had the say on when "the world" would start.  ;) 

Leah is obviously not a morning person, so I feel her pain....BUT she can also go back to bed as soon as she gets the kids on the bus (or drives them & the willchair to school), so I'm not too sympathetic.  I'm at work by 7:30am almost every weekday (after dropping kids off at nursery school, so I'm up pretty early) and it's disgusting.  It would at least be less disgusting if I could plop back into my bed later in the morning, but I don't work for MTV.....

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 12
On 1/22/2019 at 5:02 AM, Mr. Minor said:

MTV is so lame, they won't film on the land because of her psycho redneck husband. So Jenelle has to be filmed through the window of her vehicle in some random parking lot. Just fire her ass already, nobody cares!

Luis and Devoid both suck! But I think walking up to the coven residence would be very much like a death row inmate walking to the chair.

And MTV better fix that shit....

I want to see their house sink right into the ground below it like quicksand and hopefully suck David and Jenelle down with it, dammit.

If Luis was paid for that DJ gig, he should have handed that $ right over to Briana to help pay for whatever she spent to get his fat ass out there for Stella's party.  

And speaking of fat asses, did Kail really have something done to her ass?  I always thought (aside from seasons 1-2) she just gained weight and had a big ass.  

Adam just needs to give up parental rights and his charade of wanting visitation.  He clearly has no interest in the adorable little Aubree, and she's growing up just fine without him.  The only thing he brings into her little life is stress and uncertainty, both things a child should not have to endure.  

• Love 10
33 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

And MTV better fix that shit....

I want to see their house sink right into the ground below it like quicksand and hopefully suck David and Jenelle down with it, dammit.

If Luis was paid for that DJ gig, he should have handed that $ right over to Briana to help pay for whatever she spent to get his fat ass out there for Stella's party.  

And speaking of fat asses, did Kail really have something done to her ass?  I always thought (aside from seasons 1-2) she just gained weight and had a big ass.  

Adam just needs to give up parental rights and his charade of wanting visitation.  He clearly has no interest in the adorable little Aubree, and she's growing up just fine without him.  The only thing he brings into her little life is stress and uncertainty, both things a child should not have to endure.  

She had a Brazilian butt lift.  She had the fat sucked out of her stomach and put into her butt.  It was on Snapchat with Dr Miami.  Don’t google it.  You’ll have nightmares. 😆

• Love 11
5 hours ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

One of the schools I attended as a child (it was a Pre-K through 8th grade parochial school) started at 7:15am.  I have never been a morning person and that SUCKED for 12/13 year old me.  (The local public school started at the same time.)

The primary schools where I live now starts around 8:30.  The middle and high schools start around 7:30.  My kids are too young for "real" school yet, but I know lots of parents who have to be at work or well on their commute by the 8:30 start time for primary schools or even by the time the bus picks up primary school students by their homes.  They end up scarmbling for and paying through the nose for before school childcare and transport to school for their K-5th graders.  I can see an upside to the early school day from that standpoint, I guess. I personally wish "the world" operated from like 11am-7pm (let alone 7:30 am or earlier start) and work/school days started later & we all stayed up later, etc....but I don't get to make the rules and over-productive morning people like my husband (bless ya'll's hearts) apparently had the say on when "the world" would start.  ;) 

Leah is obviously not a morning person, so I feel her pain....BUT she can also go back to bed as soon as she gets the kids on the bus (or drives them & the willchair to school), so I'm not too sympathetic.  I'm at work by 7:30am almost every weekday (after dropping kids off at nursery school, so I'm up pretty early) and it's disgusting.  It would at least be less disgusting if I could plop back into my bed later in the morning, but I don't work for MTV.....

This, plus doesn't Leah usually have the kids on weekends? Corey has to do most of the mornings during the week, but I guess now addy is in school, too. Gonna be a rough year for Leah! I'm guessing she won't be able to pull addy out of school because she can't get up on time, though I wouldn't be shocked if she tried to!

• Love 3

Studies (along with my own experiences, both personal and professional) have shown that twins should never be in the same classroom. Ever. 

I am dying to know why Ali appears to be “desperate” to be in the same classroom as Gracie. It’s probably the normal stuff, but it also suggests (to me) tthat the girlses haven’t been treated as individuals for the majority of their lives. Perhaps Ali is self conscience about her condition and doesn’t feel “comfortable” in a room full of people she doesn’t know. She strikes me as being incredibly shy, so I can imagine how rough her days are for her. That said, she still needs to adapt socially and not be so dependent on her sisters.

Schools do start ridiculously early for a variety of reasons, including after school activities. Most schools (all grades) start between 7:20-7:30am out here. Teachers have to be on site by 6:45am. It’s ridiculous. 

Busses are non-existent in most areas too, so we have always started early for many reasons. Most kids are exhausted, but that’s because their parents don’t take their phones away. Kids don’t sleep at night anymore. Trust me. 

Parents also need to get to work on time, so starting early works for everyone. Also, students need time after school for clubs, activities or tutoring.  Sports practice/events can’t finish at 6pm if we expect athletes to go home, eat dinner & do homework. 

Leah’s not as educated as she should be about Ali’s condition. I’m glad Jason said something to her. We’ve all said it: she needs to join a support group or read some books or do something to keep “issues” from happening. A well informed parent of any student who has an IEP never acts like Leah; the world is not ending over XYZ.

An IEP means the bus should have taken the chair to school, but that’s an issue to confirm with the transportation department. It’s not the principal’s fault. There is a SpEd dept in every district and Leah should have confirmed it with someone at the district office. The principal probably said they’d handle it, but it got lost in the shuffle of a new year. It’s not right, but things are departmental and if Leah knew every single thing she should know about Ali’s IEP, the bus issue wouldn’t have happened on the first day of school.

• Love 12

In Leah's defense, this has all got to be overwhelming for her. She probably doesn't understand half of what the IEP says, she's still learning what it says and what help Ali is entitled to.

I can't imagine having my child diagnosed with a terminal illness, then having to navigate the red tape everywhere, insurance, school, etc. I don't say it's okay at all but I understand why she got addicted to the pillses.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Bridget said:

Studies (along with my own experiences, both personal and professional) have shown that twins should never be in the same classroom. Ever. 

I am dying to know why Ali appears to be “desperate” to be in the same classroom as Gracie. It’s probably the normal stuff, but it also suggests (to me) tthat the girlses haven’t been treated as individuals for the majority of their lives. Perhaps Ali is self conscience about her condition and doesn’t feel “comfortable” in a room full of people she doesn’t know. She strikes me as being incredibly shy, so I can imagine how rough her days are for her. That said, she still needs to adapt socially and not be so dependent on her sisters.

Schools do start ridiculously early for a variety of reasons, including after school activities. Most schools (all grades) start between 7:20-7:30am out here. Teachers have to be on site by 6:45am. It’s ridiculous. 

Busses are non-existent in most areas too, so we have always started early for many reasons. Most kids are exhausted, but that’s because their parents don’t take their phones away. Kids don’t sleep at night anymore. Trust me. 

Parents also need to get to work on time, so starting early works for everyone. Also, students need time after school for clubs, activities or tutoring.  Sports practice/events can’t finish at 6pm if we expect athletes to go home, eat dinner & do homework. 

Leah’s not as educated as she should be about Ali’s condition. I’m glad Jason said something to her. We’ve all said it: she needs to join a support group or read some books or do something to keep “issues” from happening. A well informed parent of any student who has an IEP never acts like Leah; the world is not ending over XYZ.

An IEP means the bus should have taken the chair to school, but that’s an issue to confirm with the transportation department. It’s not the principal’s fault. There is a SpEd dept in every district and Leah should have confirmed it with someone at the district office. The principal probably said they’d handle it, but it got lost in the shuffle of a new year. It’s not right, but things are departmental and if Leah knew every single thing she should know about Ali’s IEP, the bus issue wouldn’t have happened on the first day of school.

Yes, I think it is good for Ali and Gracie to be separate, and definitely partly so Ali can learn to adjust.  Plus I think Gracie needs some space from the sibling that gets a lot of attention.  She will be able to shine without having to be a part of a duo all of the time.  It kind of reminds me of the parents that dress their kids alike for pictures and stuff, even when they are not twins.  I don't get it--each child deserves some individuality--at least put different color shirts on.  They may be related, but they are their own person.

As for the getting up early, it is nice to see that Leah is making it work (assuming that is the case as I don't watch the show, just follow here).  I agree with you that starting early is great for most people.  It would be really difficult for us if my son's bus came much later in the morning--coming really early allows one of us to be able to get him on and get to work early--esp because I like to get home as early as I can.  Coming in late/working late does not work for me at all.  And like you said if the kids have activities after school, it helps fit it all in.

• Love 5

If we're giving Leah grief about not getting things handled at the school then we also need to give it equally or more so to Corey.  He's the primary parent and he waits until school bus drop off to ask Leah if she got an ok from the school about them taking the wheel chair. And then acts not shocked when the bus is unable to take it.  

• Love 15

I don't know about all schools but in each one that my children have been in we were told they try to separate relatives as often as possible because it tends to lead to more socialization and better behavior within classrooms.  When I enrolled my nephew at our school for my sister, I asked if he could be in my sons class because I was worried he would struggle to make friends and thought it would help having my son there but the school said no because they found that kids in these situations tend to stick with each other out of familiarity versus trying to socialize.  I think that's probably what the twins school is thinking and they probably recognize that Gracie needs a place where she can just be Gracie not one of the twins or Ali's sister.  And I also think it is good that Gracie is able to say that she wants to be in a separate classroom because maybe she does feel like people only see her as Ali's sister instead of seeing her as her own person.  

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Mkay said:

She had a Brazilian butt lift.  She had the fat sucked out of her stomach and put into her butt.  It was on Snapchat with Dr Miami.  Don’t google it.  You’ll have nightmares. 😆

Ye gads, thanks for the warning.

Talk about an unnecessary procedure.  She looks like she's gained about 50 lb since this show started, so there should have been plenty of fat going to her ass and everywhere else.  

• Love 8
On 1/23/2019 at 8:53 AM, lezlers said:

As far as Andrew goes: he's 33 now so that would have made him...24 when he got teenage Jenelle pregnant?  Was that ever talked about???

He was 23 according to Jenelle: http://www.wetpaint.com/how-old-was-jenelle-evanss-baby-daddy-when-he-got-her-pregnant-shocking-age-difference-revealed-728574/ Gross. Even grosser is that I remember her saying on her 16 and P that she and Andrew had “dated” since she was 14. So 14 year old Jenelle was (probably) banging 21 year old Andrew and 16 year old Jenelle was banging and getting impregnated by 23 year old Andrew. Jesus God!

On 1/23/2019 at 10:55 AM, MaggieG said:

Not only do we need to see receipts for Andrew's supposed college degree but did he really model in China as well?!

Andrew said that he’s “currently working on his Master of Fine Arts in filming at Florida State College” in 2012. (And he claimed he didn’t want to be on the show because reality tv would ruin his burgeoning career in the entertainment industry - lol! It didn’t stop him from making a “Facebook fan page” for himself either...) And he did post a receipt of sorts that at least shows he was in school. But it doesn’t prove he has any degree at all and since he wouldn’t be going for his masters without already having a BA, it’s pretty suspect that he claimed to be going for his masters at that time. Plus, notice he’s never mentioned earning a BA, even now, let alone talking about this masters he supposedly was going for years ago. We know Leah barely attended college for any length of time though I’m sure she could post an ID and claim some shit about her time there too. It also proves nothing about him attending USC. But, at some point Andrew appeared to have actually been in school: 

A6FF6CD4-063D-4918-B686-EAABEB96C239.jpeg

https://starcasm.net/jenelle-evans-baby-daddy-andrew-lewis-speaks-out-about-jace-teen-mom/?fbclid=IwAR0erq3VTJ4TXMIDk2sDc_YkX_T2HYgjmxHFNeo0K6nZPktruZ15POBNyNM

I can find zero proof Andrew ever even set foot in China. And why the fuck would “China” pick Andrew to model? Maybe he meant some back alley in some city’s ChinaTOWN?

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 12
On 1/21/2019 at 8:31 PM, A-Lo said:

How much do I love Randy right now for taking the high road when it comes to whether Adam will step up and pay so he can see Aubree?  He's not giving her false hope yet he's saying he know Adams loves her.  And when Aubree suggests Randy meeting up with Adam and punching him?  Randy very democratically says he's not the punching kind and that he knows Adam struggles with schedules.  But that it's also Adam's loss if he doesn't show up for his visit with Aubree.

Randy absolutely handled that well.  I am very bothered by the fact that Chelsea claimed that Aubree was "disappointed, but not sad" about the whole thing.  She is clearly (to me) VERY angry and VERY hurt by this.  She is trying very hard to hide her true emotions, probably to not upset Chelsea.  But she is asking her grandpa to punch her dad!  Hello, that is absolutely not normal.  This is seriously hurting her, and everyone is pretending it is not a huge deal because Aubree is pretending it is not a huge deal.  It is a HUGE deal, people!

Ok, and sorry to keep on about this, but I am so extremely bothered by this whole "Aubree gets stood-up by her dad" storyline.  How anyone can say that Chelsea is a good mom is beyond me.  She is using her little girl and her hurt and SORROW as a storyline.  

I am trying to imagine having my kids stood up by their dad and having it filmed for entertainment!!!  My stomach is in knots with the thought.  Jesus!

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Rebecca said:

He was 23 according to Jenelle: http://www.wetpaint.com/how-old-was-jenelle-evanss-baby-daddy-when-he-got-her-pregnant-shocking-age-difference-revealed-728574/ Gross. Even grosser is that I remember her saying on her 16 and P that she and Andrew had “dated” since she was 14. So 14 year old Jenelle was (probably) banging 21 year old Andrew and 16 year old Jenelle was banging and getting impregnated by 23 year old Andrew. Jesus God!

Andrew said that he’s “currently working on his Master of Fine Arts in filming at Florida State College” in 2012. (And he claimed he didn’t want to be on the show because reality tv would ruin his burgeoning career in the entertainment industry - lol! It didn’t stop him from making a “Facebook fan page” for himself either...) And he did post a receipt of sorts that at least shows he was in school. But it doesn’t prove he has any degree at all and since he wouldn’t be going for his masters without already having a BA, it’s pretty suspect that he claimed to be going for his masters at that time. Plus, notice he’s never mentioned earning a BA, even now, let alone talking about this masters he supposedly was going for years ago. We know Leah barely attended college for any length of time though I’m sure she could post an ID and claim some shit about her time there too. It also proves nothing about him attending USC. But, at some point Andrew appeared to have actually been in school: 

https://starcasm.net/jenelle-evans-baby-daddy-andrew-lewis-speaks-out-about-jace-teen-mom/?fbclid=IwAR0erq3VTJ4TXMIDk2sDc_YkX_T2HYgjmxHFNeo0K6nZPktruZ15POBNyNM

I can find zero proof Andrew ever even set foot in China. And why the fuck would “China” pick Andrew to model? Maybe he meant some back alley in some city’s ChinaTOWN?

Andrew's full of sh*t.  Florida State College has ZERO graduate degree programs.  It was completely a community college granting associate degrees/technical college until 2009, when it implemented some bachelor degree programs (some Florida community colleges were allowed to do this because of a relative shortage of public 4-year colleges in that state). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_State_College_at_Jacksonville

Andrew probably took a couple of adult education classes or maybe enrolled in some core classes, then left (but got an ID).  

He is delusional. 

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

Andrew's full of sh*t.  Florida State College has ZERO graduate degree programs.  It was completely a community college granting associate degrees/technical college until 2009, when it implemented some bachelor degree programs (some Florida community colleges were allowed to do this because of a relative shortage of public 4-year colleges in that state). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_State_College_at_Jacksonville

Andrew probably took a couple of adult education classes or maybe enrolled in some core classes, then left (but got an ID).  

He is delusional. 

Darn.  I was all set to apply for a Master's Degree in "Filming."  Oh, well.

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

He is delusional. 

That’s hilarious. And scary because it was so easily proven false, which shows his delusion. Like, he didn’t even know wtf the school was and he attended it? Lol. Does he know what a masters actually is? If Andrew had a less generic name it would be easier to disprove he ever attended USC!

You have no idea how much I wish Andrew had turned out to be a normal person and could develop some kind of relationship with Jace. Not only for Jace’s own benefit but also to stick it to Jenelle. The best thing any of her exes could do as a fuck you to Jenelle is to live normal lives. But I don’t think any of them are even capable of that.

59B57A83-6612-4EE9-94B7-4E62983C5EB9.png

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 9

It's called talking out of your ass, and Jenelle Eason, Lifesaver M.D. knows all about that shit.  I knew people who hadn't taken a class at the local community college that talked about "getting their MBA" or "going to M.I.T." or some such shit.  Just trying to impress whoever they were talking to at that moment in time.  Andrew probably couldn't find USC on a map of Los Angeles.

• Love 16

This episode really highlighted the level of TRASH that Kail is with her three baby daddies.

I cannot, I repeat, CANNOT deal with Briana and crew. Every single person in her segments are unwatchable. And what's with renting a house again? Is that something people do for every party they have to throw, or is it only something for people who have 2042018352389 people living in a one bedroom apartment?

Aubree is the sweetest thing!!!

• Love 10
2 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Randy absolutely handled that well.  I am very bothered by the fact that Chelsea claimed that Aubree was "disappointed, but not sad" about the whole thing.  She is clearly (to me) VERY angry and VERY hurt by this.  She is trying very hard to hide her true emotions, probably to not upset Chelsea.  

I think the Houskas are in a lot of denial as to how badly this is affecting Aubree. She's a tough kid and puts on a brave front, but she looked crushed when Chelsea got the call that Adam didn't show. I also notice how every time Aubree says something negative about Adam, she immediately backs it up with how amazing Cole is. I'm not saying that isn't true, but Aubree's clearly learned to read the room and stick to the narrative Chelsea wants to hear. Cole being great doesn't negate Adam being a douche.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Bridget said:

My son is in first grade and his school starts at 8:20.   He goes to before school care, however, since both my husband and I work.   He's usually dropped off between 7:15 and 7:30.   So I guess the start time isn't TOO crazy.  Maybe I freaked out because she said they had to be at the bus stop by like, 6:30 or something.  That sounds ludicrous to me (and I'm a morning person!)   There was some study done I really wish I could remember where, that showed high school students did much better in school with a later start time.  As high school kids aren't usually dependent on their parents to get them to and from school (at least not to the extent that elementary school kids are), you'd think they wouldn't start that early.   Back in the dark ages when I was in high school, I think we started at like, 7:50.  And I always thought sports practice/events started pretty much right after school, so they WOULD finish by 5 or so, leaving enough time to go home, do homework and eat dinner.  I was the kid hanging out by the bike path smoking cigarettes though, so what do I know.  I never did extracurriculars.  :D

Edited by lezlers
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, lezlers said:

My son is in first grade and his school starts at 8:20.   He goes to before school care, however, since both my husband and I work.   He's usually dropped off between 7:15 and 7:30.   So I guess the start time isn't TOO crazy.  Maybe I freaked out because she said they had to be at the bus stop by like, 6:30 or something.  That sounds ludicrous to me (and I'm a morning person!)   There was some study done I really wish I could remember where, that showed high school students did much better in school with a later start time.  As high school kids aren't usually dependent on their parents to get them to and from school (at least not to the extent that elementary school kids are), you'd think they wouldn't start that early.   Back in the dark ages when I was in high school, I think we started at like, 7:50.  And I always thought sports practice/events started pretty much right after school, so they WOULD finish by 5 or so, leaving enough time to go home, do homework and eat dinner.  I was the kid hanging out by the bike path smoking cigarettes though, so what do I know.  I never did extracurriculars.  :D

You are 100% correct. Numerous studies have shown that later start times for HS students = more productivity. I would prefer it myself as well, but I don’t have a say in it.

The one detail that is a key component is that the students in those studies were actually sleeping 7-8 hours. 

Screens/phones have made a huge difference in the sleep patterns (or lack thereof) for students in grades 6–12 during the last five years. It’s heartbreaking.

The best parent of any student I have ever taught - shout out to Mrs. Martinez -  does THE most amazing thing. Every night at 9pm, even on weekends, her kids (18 & 17) hand over their phones. Her kids are in AP classes and take summer school courses at the community college over the summer. Her daughter started college as a sophomore at UCSD last fall. Her kids understand why she does it and they don’t fight it. 

My students walk in the door and look exhausted. I already know why. They were on their phones all night long. When they do fall asleep, they only get a few hours. They’re not ever fully rested, which means they’re not learning. It’s a cycle.

Phone use also translates into a huge tardiness problem. Way too many students arrive at least an hour late to school because they’re too tired to get up on time. I can speak to them until I’m blue in the face, but they cannot make the connection that more sleep would make them feel so much better. 

Many older siblings are responsible for getting the little ones to school because parent(s) are already at work. That really pisses me off.

AM/PM care is available at almost all elem & middle schools in SoCal, but the parents who would really benefit don’t use it. My students have told me their mom doesn’t want anyone watching the younger ones unless they’re family members.

Instead, they’d prefer that their teenagers miss (and fail) their first period class to take care of the younger ones. Because that makes perfect sense, right?!?! 

Edited by Bridget
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Bridget said:

You are 100% correct. Numerous studies have shown that later start times for HS students = more productivity. I would prefer it myself as well, but I don’t have a say in it.

The one detail that is a key component is that the students in those studies were actually sleeping 7-8 hours. 

Screens/phones have made a huge difference in the sleep patterns (or lack thereof) for students in grades 6–12 during the last five years. It’s heartbreaking.

The best parent of any student I have ever taught - shout out to Mrs. Martinez -  does THE most amazing thing. Every night at 9pm, even on weekends, her kids (18 & 17) hand over their phones. Her kids are in AP classes and take summer school courses at the community college over the summer. Her daughter started college as a sophomore at UCSD last fall. Her kids understand why she does it and they don’t fight it. 

My students walk in the door and look exhausted. I already know why. They were on their phones all night long. When they do fall asleep, they only get a few hours. They’re not ever fully rested, which means they’re not learning. It’s a cycle.

Phone use also  tranalates into a huge tardiness problem. Way too many students arrive at least an hour late to school because they’re too tired to get up on time. I can speak to them until I’m blue in the face, but they cannot make the connection that more sleep would make them feel so much better. 

Many older siblings are responsible for getting the little ones to school because parent(s) are already at work. That really pisses me off.

AM/PM care is available at almost all elem & middle schools in SoCal, but the parents who would really benefit don’t use it. My students have told me their mom doesn’t want anyone watching the younger ones unless they’re family members.

Instead, they’d prefer that their teenagers miss (and fail) their first period class to take care of the younger ones. Because that makes perfect sense, right?!?! 

I love hearing a teacher's perspective on all of this!  My kids are only 6 and 4 but I will make damn sure to adopt a rule like Mrs. Martinez when they're old enough to have phones!!  And I don't get the "I only want a family member watching my kids" philosophy, either.  My daughter's preschool teachers are a hell of a lot better than some of her family members, in my opinion.  Hell, I'd go so far as to say she's better off with her preschool teacher than me all day long!  Being a blood relative does not automatically make you a better choice as a caregiver.  Hell, the majority of molestation victims are molested by family members. 

31 minutes ago, DudeLeaveMeAlone said:

I never knew there were so many family members teaching in the schools these days. /sarcasm

People are dumb.   I once had a woman actually say to me "I was like you with my first two kids, I worked so someone else raised them."  Excuse me?  I asked her if her kid's teachers are raising them for her now.  She just stared at me.   Idiot.

• Love 12
30 minutes ago, lezlers said:

I love hearing a teacher's perspective on all of this!  My kids are only 6 and 4 but I will make damn sure to adopt a rule like Mrs. Martinez when they're old enough to have phones!!  And I don't get the "I only want a family member watching my kids" philosophy, either.  My daughter's preschool teachers are a hell of a lot better than some of her family members, in my opinion.  Hell, I'd go so far as to say she's better off with her preschool teacher than me all day long!  Being a blood relative does not automatically make you a better choice as a caregiver.  Hell, the majority of molestation victims are molested by family members. 

People are dumb.   I once had a woman actually say to me "I was like you with my first two kids, I worked so someone else raised them."  Excuse me?  I asked her if her kid's teachers are raising them for her now.  She just stared at me.   Idiot.

I keep telling Mrs. Martinez to write a book and she always says: “It’s just called good parenting. Parents should know these things.” I love her. 

I also read somewhere that another tip is to  confiscate the charging cord to encourage  kid(s) to use time wisely and not waste battery life on YouTube when they should be researching something for HW. That option provides kids/teens the ability to choose how to use battery life. Once the phone is dead, that’s it for the day. (Parents charge the phones overnight in their room or another secure spot.)

I don’t have kids, so I was thrilled to read what you said about your daughter’s pre-school teacher because I agree 100%. I would rather have my imaginary kids in a structured environment with adults who are finger printed, drug tested & CPR certified.

Also, I stopped watching the local news because it makes me sick. There was a woman in San Diego who reported her 3 year old missing last fall. Amber alert, SDPD was everywhere - as it should be. Turns out the kid had been at daycare the whole day! Mom didn’t drop the kid off for some reason, but a BLOOD relative had dropped the kid off, yet they never texted or called mom to say: “FYI: Took your kid to daycare.”

Yes, these are the people who your children should be around, not adults vetted by the state.

Re: bolded at the end - I bet that woman’s kids have been in my class. They are the reason I have to teach freakin high school students to say “please” and “thank you.” You’re right. She’s an idiot.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Rebecca said:

I always thought "China" was code for "prison." 

Guess I was wrong about that, but with anyone involved with Jenelle, anything is possible.  

• Love 12
On 1/23/2019 at 6:46 PM, Mkay said:

She had a Brazilian butt lift.  She had the fat sucked out of her stomach and put into her butt.  It was on Snapchat with Dr Miami. 

As did Briana.  As well as some other 16&P talent, who was next seen on Botched.

21 hours ago, Snarky McSnarky said:

Andrew probably couldn't find USC on a map of Los Angeles.

Did he actually say the words "California" or "Los Angeles"?  Maybe he's referring to the University of South Carolina?  Not that I think he got a degree from there, either, but it seems more likely than the University of Southern California, unless he was there on a modeling scholarship.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Did he actually say the words "California" or "Los Angeles"?  Maybe he's referring to the University of South Carolina?  Not that I think he got a degree from there, either, but it seems more likely than the University of Southern California, unless he was there on a modeling scholarship.

It’s possible because Andrew is so dumb but if you ask 100 people what “USC” is I bet 100 of them think of the one in California. It’s all that comes up on google when you type USC. University of South Carolina is usually abbreviated to UofSC, but again, Andrew is dumb so who knows. For either school - pics or it didn’t happen. Lol

• Love 7
5 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

He actually said  “I got a bachelor degree from the University of Southern California."  He also said he got a Union job in NYC...

• Love 7
On 1/24/2019 at 7:50 AM, alexa said:

Yes, I think it is good for Ali and Gracie to be separate, and definitely partly so Ali can learn to adjust.  Plus I think Gracie needs some space from the sibling that gets a lot of attention.  She will be able to shine without having to be a part of a duo all of the time.  It kind of reminds me of the parents that dress their kids alike for pictures and stuff, even when they are not twins.  I don't get it--each child deserves some individuality--at least put different color shirts on.  They may be related, but they are their own person.

As for the getting up early, it is nice to see that Leah is making it work (assuming that is the case as I don't watch the show, just follow here).  I agree with you that starting early is great for most people.  It would be really difficult for us if my son's bus came much later in the morning--coming really early allows one of us to be able to get him on and get to work early--esp because I like to get home as early as I can.  Coming in late/working late does not work for me at all.  And like you said if the kids have activities after school, it helps fit it all in.

I think Grace wants to be in a separate classroom in part so she doesn't have to feel responsible for Ali. She wants to feel unburdoned and if they were in the same classroom Leah would likely always tell her to look out for her sister. And as others have said, Ali needs to learn to be independent.

• Love 10

It has to be scripted. Or else Jenelle would have a fucking fit about having to accommodations for Jace having to go to New York.   She would be screeching "He should be coming here and tryin'!!"   Instead they know damn well they need a story line and need an excuse to travel.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, IDreamofJoaquin said:

It has to be scripted. Or else Jenelle would have a fucking fit about having to accommodations for Jace having to go to New York.   She would be screeching "He should be coming here and tryin'!!"   Instead they know damn well they need a story line and need an excuse to travel.

Didn't it seem like Andrew was practically reading his lines off a piece of paper during that conversation with Barb? I agree with everyone that Andrew mysteriously entering the picture after a decade was producer-driven since Dave can't film. I just hope they leave Jace out of it. There's no need for him meet Andrew when we all know Andrew will bounce once he's no longer getting MTV checks. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, IDreamofJoaquin said:

Or if it was a less glamorous place than New York. If Andrew lived in Idaho, no way would Jenelle want to go!!!

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Or if it was a less glamorous place than New York. If Andrew lived in Idaho, no way would Jenelle want to go!!!

I could see that going either way - David probably likes places like Idaho so Jenelle does too now. They’re so country and outdoorsy. *eye roll* I could see David as someone who hates big cities - with all them liberals and gays and feminists - oh my! And I’m assuming even though he won’t be filmed David would go with. I wonder how often they’ve already allowed him to sit and glare just off camera while they’re filming, to appease Jenelle, even though he’s not supposed to be around.

• Love 9
21 hours ago, Snarky McSnarky said:

He actually said  “I got a bachelor degree from the University of Southern California."  He also said he got a Union job in NYC...

Ah, thank you.  I was only partially listening; I'm trying not to watch at all, but Jenelle's insanity draws me in, but I fight the power by not concentrating.  But I thought I heard him say he got a union job in New York City, and I thought, "Huh?"  Union jobs in NYC can pay very livable wages, but it was never my impression that a USC education would be a good investment for landing a job like a steel worker on skyscrapers .  But maybe he's talking about a union job in the film/TV industry. 

As for Andrew getting a degree from there, well, they let me in, so...

3 hours ago, Rebecca said:

I could see that going either way - David probably likes places like Idaho so Jenelle does too now.

Oh my god, David would fucking love Idaho, and I honestly can't believe he isn't there already.  What in the world is he waiting for?  He needs to join his tribe, stat.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Ah, thank you.  I was only partially listening; I'm trying not to watch at all, but Jenelle's insanity draws me in, but I fight the power by not concentrating.  But I thought I heard him say he got a union job in New York City, and I thought, "Huh?"  Union jobs in NYC can pay very livable wages, but it was never my impression that a USC education would be a good investment for landing a job like a steel worker on skyscrapers .  But maybe he's talking about a union job in the film/TV industry. 

As for Andrew getting a degree from there, well, they let me in, so...

Oh my god, David would fucking love Idaho, and I honestly can't believe he isn't there already.  What in the world is he waiting for?  He needs to join his tribe, stat.

I think he needs to go even further...say...Siberia!

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, Quilty said:

This will be an unpopular opinion but I think Addie and Gracie are mean and quite rude to everyone. Leah needs to calm the hell down on "The First Day" of school. 

I agree and it certainly doesn't help that the adults in their life laugh off all their mouthy behavior.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Quilty said:

This will be an unpopular opinion but I think Addie and Gracie are mean and quite rude to everyone. Leah needs to calm the hell down on "The First Day" of school. 

I don’t think that opinion is very unpopular at all! I certainly agree. I bet they’re both a pain in the ass to their teachers. 

• Love 10