Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 1/21/2019

Jaded
  • Start Topic

42 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Of course. It's always about her and her feelings. 

"Not accurate" is not the same thing as "wrong."

The body language of the kid in the video says it all. No PR campaign is going to convince me that he wasn't mocking the gentleman. The kids was way up in the man's face, smirking. Plus the other boys were chanting and dancing disrespectfully.  

The fact that most of them were wearing maggot hats gave a lot of us a racist impression right from the get go.

• Love 24
59 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

So the Black Israelites ranted towards them, so these kids, who were wearing MAGA hats, decided to retaliate by mocking a Native American man. 

How does this make sense?

I agree with Sunny that the adults didn't do anything, but at the same time this shows white privilege. Was Trayvon ever given the same treatment as these kids? No, he was blasted and continues to be blasted. The kids were acting like idiots and deserve to face some punishment for it. The Black Israelites were acting like idiots too, but that doesn't negate what these kids did. 

They were not mocking the indigenous man, they were doing their school’s spirit chants to drown out the hateful slurs that were being directed at them by the Black Israelites.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:
1 hour ago, 1SimonMom said:

Abby looks like a clown coming out of a little car. I think wardrobe is starting to dislike her like Elsa

Right away, I thought "are those circus pajamas?!"

rps20190122_111120.jpg

Oh my! I didn't see her walk out.  I guess it wide leg pants with slits?  Also looks like a bathrobe.

And those shoes are horrible!!! I know she is pregnant but can't she wear some normal shoes to walk out to the table????

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:
33 minutes ago, PeterBrady said:

They were not mocking the indigenous man, they were doing their school’s spirit chants to drown out the hateful slurs that were being directed at them by the Black Israelites.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

(the smirks on their faces didn't make them look any better)

Are we going to find out who yelled at the Black Israelites who yelled at them?  That seems to be the MAGA kids defense. That we were picked on first.  OK so then who picked on the Black Israelites.  I mean isn't this how it works?

• Love 13
24 minutes ago, PeterBrady said:

So the Black Israelites ranted towards them, so these kids, who were wearing MAGA hats, decided to retaliate by mocking a Native American man. 

How does this make sense?

Okay, so I watched the multiple clips of the incident, and this is what I took from the chain of events, if I'm mistaken, please feel free to chime in and correct me. :)

The Black Israelites started a confrontation with the Native American Activists, calling them "savage," and other things. There were a few of the students watching from a distance, and appeared to be laughing at the situation. The Black Israelites then started mocking those kids, calling them "dirty ass crackers," and other things. Those kids walked back to the larger group of students, while a few more exchanges were made between the Black Israelites, and the Native American Activists.

The larger group of kids began chanting their school chants, when a Native American Activist approached them, beating his drum. One of the Native American Activists, told the children, that white people needed to go back to Europe.  The chaperones told the children to chant louder, but then that changed into the children chanting along to the drum beat, mocking Native American culture,  and the one student taking off of his shirt, and the one student smirking as the Native American Vet beat his drum.

In my opinion all three groups, the Black Israelites, the Native American Activists, and the school children, have blame in the situation.

And just a sidenote. Not all of the kids were wearing MAGA hats. I think they said there were 12 or so with them on, out of 75 students. (but please correct me, cause I heard that on the news, but I haven't verified that.

• Love 14
9 minutes ago, OnTime said:

And those shoes are horrible!!! I know she is pregnant but can't she wear some normal shoes to walk out to the table????

I think you answered your own question-she is pregnant with twins and her feet and ankles are likely swollen. Also-women are not ornaments for people's gaze. Her shoes are fine.

• Love 17
7 minutes ago, NotinKansasanymore said:

Okay, so I watched the multiple clips of the incident, and this is what I took from the chain of events, if I'm mistaken, please feel free to chime in and correct me. :)

The Black Israelites started a confrontation with the Native American Activists, calling them "savage," and other things. There were a few of the students watching from a distance, and appeared to be laughing at the situation. The Black Israelites then started mocking those kids, calling them "dirty ass crackers," and other things. Those kids walked back to the larger group of students, while a few more exchanges were made between the Black Israelites, and the Native American Activists.

The larger group of kids began chanting their school chants, when a Native American Activist approached them, beating his drum. One of the Native American Activists, told the children, that white people needed to go back to Europe.  The chaperones told the children to chant louder, but then that changed into the children chanting along to the drum beat, mocking Native American culture,  and the one student taking off of his shirt, and the one student smirking as the Native American Vet beat his drum.

In my opinion all three groups, the Black Israelites, the Native American Activists, and the school children, have blame in the situation.

And just a sidenote. Not all of the kids were wearing MAGA hats. I think they said there were 12 or so with them on, out of 75 students. (but please correct me, cause I heard that on the news, but I haven't verified that.

Perfect summation on what happened.  The Black Israelites hate everybody, they will scream invectives at Black people  and will harass people in the streets as they are preaching their hateful interpretation of the bible. They are a cult and believe in polygamy.  This is the most attention that they have gotten ever...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 13
46 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

I really have to say that Joy disappointed me today with her response to what happened in D.C. this past weekend.  Sunny and Whoopie were the voices of reason today. Megan and Abby were predictable in their ignorance.  

I missed what Joy said. What was it? TIA

6 hours ago, NotinKansasanymore said:

I'm trying to be "fair and balanced"  so I went to look up what I could find out about the Black Israelites , since I have never heard of them.

I found this comment on one of the articles I read:

{about the Black Israelites}

"On the street they yell abuse to passersby of ALL stripes - old, young, men, women, black, white, gay or straight. Their goal is to goad folks into inane shouting matches, that they then record and put online. I vividly remember one night a few years ago, while folks were leaving a Tyler Perry play in Baltimore, them shouting all types of obscenities to what looked like church going black folks.The most I can say about the group is that they are an extremist cult similar to the Westboro Baptist folks."

(I think all religions are cults though)

Sounds to me like the whole thing was a major cluster-f*ck and badly reported all around. YMMV.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 10
15 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I think you answered your own question-she is pregnant with twins and her feet and ankles are likely swollen. Also-women are not ornaments for people's gaze. Her shoes are fine.

I agree on the shoes being OK (disclaimer, I have never worn a pair of high heels in my life) but combined with the clown pajamas it was not a good look.

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I agree on the shoes being OK (disclaimer, I have never worn a pair of high heels in my life) but combined with the clown pajamas it was not a good look.

Anything combined with the clown pajamas would not be a good look.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, NotinKansasanymore said:

And just a sidenote. Not all of the kids were wearing MAGA hats. I think they said there were 12 or so with them on, out of 75 studenrts. (but please correct me, cause I heard that on the news, but I haven't verified that.

I appricate all the additional videos that have been posted. That being said there was much more than 12 hats I quickly counted at least 20 hats plus shirts and a black knit hat that says MaGA. I can’t wrap my head around a school letting / encouraging a political hat identifing a disgusting non Christian man. I missed what a Joy said/ didn’t say I’ll watch again. 

Before moving back to my hometown a couple of years ago I lived in a agriculture town and almost drove my car off the road when I could see in the lobby of a Baptist church a Bush portrait on an easel greeting church members. 

• Love 20

While I still love Joy, her inability to see past Trump in just about anything is frustrating. She was adjacent to the point in the discussion, but didn't quite get it. Trump didn't create these issues, but he exacerbated them. We're all on edge and ready to tweet with confirmation bias

MM actually impressed me during the discussion. That rarely happens.

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, MMEButterfly said:

However, when you chaperone a group of high school students on a field trip (especially in a city unfamiliar to them) you remove them as far as possible from aggressively acting-out people, you quiet them, you lead them in prayer if you like. You do not encourage them to begin a shouting match. Their chaperones put them into grave danger.

I've mentioned this before I think.  In 2017 I went to DC for the Women's March.  On the train back it was filled with people who had been to the March.  At one of the stops a man wearing a MAGA hat got on.  The whole car got silent for about a minute and then we all resumed our conversations.  In an uncomfortable situation like that it's best if cooler heads prevail.  The chaperones with those kids should have ushered them away from the people screaming at them.  That could have easily turned violent.

• Love 22
9 minutes ago, DB in CMH said:

While I still love Joy, her inability to see past Trump in just about anything is frustrating. She was adjacent to the point in the discussion, but didn't quite get it.

I love Joy as well but she didn't add anything meaningful to the first segment by saying "I think we're all just trying to impeach Trump." Was it Whoopi who asked her what that had to do with what they were talking about? 

• Love 15
  • Joy sounded ridiculous with that comment.
  • NutMeg could have made her point in the time it took her to say why she would not make her point.
  • When she did make her point, it was clear that she got slammed by whomever she listens to for attacking the children.  But now she's conflicted because the same people who she now believes are saying that Nathan Phillips was the instigator.  That would put Arizonian NutMeg against two of her favourite groups, Native Americans and Veterans.  What to do?  Call it nuanced and say you don't like kids doing Tomahawk chops.  And it looks like she deleted her original tweet about bigotry.
  • The real point that was not discussed is that no matter what happened, these kids' lives are being exposed on social media and they are receiving death threats.  Over what?  The overreaction should have been mentioned.
  • Whoopi should not have apologized for her views on bike paths, but it was a non apology so it doesn't count anyways.
  • Abby says she and NutMeg love Bret Baier.  Are they in a club?
  • Whoopi wore grandpa's overalls again and I think this is the third time.  They should be incinerated.  The other day she had on tight pants and something not so baggy on top and she looked 50 pounds lighter.
Edited by bannana
Whoopi should not have apologized for her bike path comments, I left out the word "not"
  • Love 10

I usually don't have much thought in regards to their clothes, but I couldn't help thinking WTF when Abby walked out. The shoes didn't even cross my mind, just the freaky clothes. I understand dressing for comfort, especially for someone pregnant, but you should at least be able to clear the bar of "Do I look better than Whoopi today?"

Joy's response to the first topic was confusing. I almost wonder if she wasn't paying attention while Whoopi was talking and thought they were talking about Buzzfeed in the first segment at first. I can sympathize with her if that was the case. Whoopi's platitudes / meaningless blather / arguments with the teleprompter aren't worth listening to any more than Meghan's screeching or...anything really.

• Love 23
16 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

Ok so these kids were the target of the Black Israelis.  Instead of responding to the people harassing them they decide to harass someone else.  Why?  Maybe because they thought Mr. Phillips was an easier target.  I don't know.  But I do know their response to this whole media frenzy doesn't reflect well on them.  A lot of people who criticized the Parkland students for being political don't seem to have a problem with these kids attending a rally in DC.

I totally agree. Abby is right. People just want to see what they want to see. Sunny and Joy has no problem with the Parkland students being political. Now it’s bad because it’s not their side. Meghan was on the opposite side when it concerned the Parkland students. Confirmation bias is a real thing. Doctor Phil talked about it on the show the last time he was a guest. Joy proved it today. She actually admitted. 

Edited by PeterBrady
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

I noticed Mehgun pronounces it Ahh-bay too. Is that normal?

Might not be common, but that's how she and her family (and the announcer) pronounce it and we should too.  Still, she can't hear us!

1 hour ago, blondiec0332 said:

I've mentioned this before I think.  In 2017 I went to DC for the Women's March.  On the train back it was filled with people who had been to the March.  At one of the stops a man wearing a MAGA hat got on.  The whole car got silent for about a minute and then we all resumed our conversations.  In an uncomfortable situation like that it's best if cooler heads prevail.  The chaperones with those kids should have ushered them away from the people screaming at them.  That could have easily turned violent.

I wish I could link but just saw a young ladies phone video of what looked like very same boys on a bench harassing a young woman. She had it videotaped and sent it to a friend. This was before the incident it’s from Indy100.com if some savvy poster could post. 

• Love 9
57 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

A bus trip to DC for rabble-rousing and marching against abortion would NOT be approved for "service hours"  for any school around here, nor for boy scout troops.  That is expression of your political beliefs (or that of your parents and school)  NOT community service. .... That is expression of your political beliefs (or that of your parents and school)  

Schools define what "community service" is under their guidelines.  My Phoenix Catholic school (I graduated in 1958) currently has rallies and marches and joins events that are anti-abortion.  I assume these are ways for today's students to get community services hours/points...whatever they need for their transcripts and resumes.  I bet they travel out of state too. They're probably cautioned/warned every time to behave appropriately to bring only credit to their school.  

Also, the school administration and the parents probably think of it as their moral/religious belief...rather than "political."

Tinkerbell, that's not to say that I agree with the boys' behavior or (especially) fight against abortion...especially since not one of them can get pregnant.

Edited by HaaCHOO
Note to Tinkerbell
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Cementhead said:

Meghan needs an entire segment to share her thoughts. 

And Whoopi is gonna see that her "babe" gets that segment.  Commercial...and usually we come back to a different topic.

Instead, we're back...and Whoopi says,  Anything else you need to say, Sweetie Snowflake?   (Sunny should complain to her union rep.)

• Love 20
1 minute ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

These Catholic school kids are insinuating themselves in the middle of what should be private medical matters that will never affect their lives.

I'm not so sure some won't be affected by abortion; after all, they're not supposed to use birth control.  They won't commit the "sin" of using artificial birth control, but in a panic...someone gets a "D&C."   Can't blame the kids; the schools decide what field trips are important...what community service will be rewarded.  Probably can't remain at the school long  if you're a rabblerouser about their core beliefs.    Kids are at the mercy of their parents and the school's leaders. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, HaaCHOO said:

And Whoopi is gonna see that her "babe" gets that segment.  Commercial...and usually we come back to a different topic.

Instead, we're back...and Whoopi says,  Anything else you need to say, Sweetie Snowflake?   (Sunny should complain to her union rep.)

🤢 yep almost threw up. Whoopi kissing MM's ass was an ugly thing. As someone else pointed out. Meghan could have made her rambling point in the time she rambled about not making her point in the time they had left 🙄🙄🙄.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

I love Joy as well but she didn't add anything meaningful to the first segment by saying "I think we're all just trying to impeach Trump." Was it Whoopi who asked her what that had to do with what they were talking about? 

Joy is really the only person on this panel I love. I really think she's great. In addition I really don't like Whoopi that much. But oh my did I laugh when Whoopi called her out on this.

• Love 10

Guess this was "walk back Tuesday." Whoopi's was completely unnecessary and Meghan's was politically expedient at best. (IMO if the Covington Catholic boys had had responsible adult chaperones, the incident would not have occurred.) 

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, SuzieSioux said:

Joy is really the only person on this panel I love. I really think she's great. In addition I really don't like Whoopi that much. But oh my did I laugh when Whoopi called her out on this.

I was half listening but I thought what joy responded to was a question as to why the media perhaps jumped all,over it before checking on additional info (which I don’t think would change the media’s original presentation of the incident..see my comments earlier).  And she said because people want to get rid of trump...I.e. showcasing an incident of trump supporters harassing a Native American vet.  Another note on sending kids on an anti abortion rights march as community service....I’m thinking the IRS mightclassify that as political activity and those schools getting tax exempt status aren’t supposed to be involved in political lobbying.  

• Love 15
2 hours ago, PeterBrady said:

I totally agree. Abby is right. People just want to see what they want to see. Sunny and Joy has no problem with the Parkland students being political. Now it’s bad because it’s not their side. Meghan was on the opposite side when it concerned the Parkland students. Confirmation bias is a real thing. Doctor Phil talked about it on the show the last time he was a guest. Joy proved it today. She actually admitted. 

To be accurate, Joy did not say anything about these kids being political one way or the other.  Sunny's point was not about whether a student can express political beliefs, it was that a religious school, who gets the benefit of tax exempt status should not then have a sponsored group of kids wearing MAGA hats (which are political).  There's a difference.  

• Love 23
2 hours ago, PeterBrady said:

Did anyone on the show criticize the students for activism? I missed it. It wasn't the activism, it was the dangerous, boorish behavior while they were in D.C. And, of course, they were not reacting to an atrocity against their school or themselves personally. In fact, they don't seem in any way comparable to the students at Parkland who watched their friends and classmates die. Except they are teenagers. 

Edited by MMEButterfly
Acknowledge After7 beat me to it.
  • Love 23
34 minutes ago, MMEButterfly said:

Did anyone on the show criticize the students for activism? I missed it. It wasn't the activism, it was the dangerous, boorish behavior while they were in D.C. And, of course, they were not reacting to an atrocity against their school or themselves personally. In fact, they don't seem in any way comparable to the students at Parkland who watched their friends and classmates die. Except they are teenagers. 

And it was a complete lack of respect for Native Americans, their drumming, and an elder.  Things I knew when I was sixteen were not to be mocked but to be respected.

It was all around bad behaviour on the part of the students, but they also shouldn't be let to roam free and unsupervised if they don't know how to behave in situations like this one.  So, I agree with Sunny that the school and the chaperones are truly accountable.

43 minutes ago, Rainyhawk said:

I was half listening but I thought what joy responded to was a question as to why the media perhaps jumped all,over it before checking on additional info (which I don’t think would change the media’s original presentation of the incident..see my comments earlier).  And she said because people want to get rid of trump...I.e. showcasing an incident of trump supporters harassing a Native American vet.  Another note on sending kids on an anti abortion rights march as community service....I’m thinking the IRS mightclassify that as political activity and those schools getting tax exempt status aren’t supposed to be involved in political lobbying.  

I think that was her point but she made it poorly and that soundbite becomes another reason for people to say she is one-note and anti-Trump.

I believe the divisiveness and lack of mutual respect is being fuelled by Trump, but this same situation could have happened under a different President.  For other reasons.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

The Parkland students got involved in a topic that personally affected them, that is a human rights issue. These Catholic school kids are insinuating themselves in the middle of what should be private medical matters that will never affect their lives.

I came here to say basically the same thought. Living through one of the ten most  deadly massacres that all have caused over 350 deaths and over 500 injuries which I don’t look  as political.   They wound up changing the public’s opinion on stricter gun requirements.  I can not imagine witnessing such a tragedy. They were called actors and Tide pod eating idiots though by the right. 

You don’t have to be a rabble rouser if you are surrounded by and raised by religious zealots. If it felt wrong in your gut you could hang back.   In my wildest imagine would I think that putting on Trump shirts and hats going to such a rally is community “ service”.  Has that been shown the case it was considered that? Gee maybe they should go to PP and picket and stay home and hand out food at one of the many catholic  charities. I hope they show the group of those boys on a park bench cat calling and shouting at the young woman before the event. 

Very dangeously getting off topic. 

I know some think those tennis shoes are so cute that brides  and groom wear them , I don’t agree  but look good on basketball players. I agree that Joy must have missed the topic in their morning meeting or just emphasizing that people are bad mouthing / blaming Trump for the kids behavior because people just want him gone. ( not everybody according to Abby) 

• Love 12