Type keyword(s) to search

Valerie: The former army one

• Start Topic

I didn't see a subforum for Valerie, but I had a question about her.

Why could Valerie go from Army nurse (where she probably mostly had male patients) to working for her aunt in a pub (ie taking a break from nursing) to midwife without having to take classes in midwifery (at least any classes that I'm aware of)?  While Delia, who was a working nurse (sometimes even working in the maternity ward), had to take classes and exams to become a midwife?

PS, feel free to change the title if you think of something better.

Edited by craziness
Add PS
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, craziness said:

Why could Valerie go from Army nurse (where she probably mostly had male patients) to working for her aunt in a pub (ie taking a break from nursing) to midwife without having to take classes in midwifery (at least any classes that I'm aware of)?  While Delia, who was a working nurse (sometimes even working in the maternity ward), had to take classes and exams to become a midwife?

I've wondered that too. I guess the writers just didn't want to redo the storyline of someone taking classes and exams to become a midwife which honestly they never really committed to that storyline with Delia, so they could have had Valerie take classes etc.   I also think it was dumb on the writers part to not address how Valerie was a midwife in a  blink of an eye; all the writers had to do was have some throw out line that Valerie had been training to become a midwife before she went off to be a Army nurse. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, craziness said:

Thank you!  That’s always bugged me. 

20 hours ago, craziness said:

I kind of/sort of remember her saying that she had had midwifery training as part of her nursing training.  Also, wasn't Delia a nursing student, not a nurse?  It; has been a while, so my memory may be off on that...

27 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I kind of/sort of remember her saying that she had had midwifery training as part of her nursing training.  Also, wasn't Delia a nursing student, not a nurse?  It; has been a while, so my memory may be off on that...

I think the story was that Patsy and Delia met while they were both working at the hospital, or in nursing school. Delia was a nurse, but not a nurse-midwife, and got interested in midwifery after she started boarding at Nonnatus House. As for Valerie, I recall there being a bunch of discussion when she was introduced about why she would have midwifery training given her experience was as an Army nurse, but the show never really explained the whys, just told us she did. To be honest, we've never really had more than the barest details about her back story.

(edited)
15 hours ago, jschoolgirl said:

I think Val's boil-butted Granny will turn out to be the abortionist, and that will be the Val-centric storyline that's been foretold for the last couple of episodes.

But that would mean Valerie knew wouldn't it and maybe why the court scene in last episode. I hope not since she wasn't clean and Valerie wouldn't want to encourage that. It is strange she has money stashed and no mention yet of how...probably not sewing.

Edited by debraran