Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
17wheatthins

The Village

Despite a difference in age, race, culture and lifestyle, the residents of a Manhattan apartment building find that the more their lives intertwine, the more complex and compelling their connections become, thus proving life's challenges are better faced alongside family, even if it's the one you make wherever you find it. All under one roof, we will meet a recovering war vet, a pregnant teenage girl and her single mom, a cop with an unexpected love interest, a woman hiding a terrifying secret from her husband and a millennial lawyer who might find his grandfather is the best and worst roommate he ever could have hoped for

Set to premier March 12, 2019, on NBC

• Like 1

I plan to check it out. I usually like Warren Christie, and of course Lorraine Touissaint. I've only seen Michaela McManus in One Tree Hill and thought she was quite terrible, but maybe she's improved since then.

• Like 1

Ooh, tomorrow? I don't know what this is about, I just like hearing about new shows. Even better, when they're just about to start.

• Like 1

NBC and The Futon Critic both have this listed as starting March 19, not today? As far as I know New Amsterdam is in that time slot tonight.

Edited by Hasseltine

It's kind of cheesy and more than a bit manipulative, but a three-legged dog that's also a war hero? I'm so in.

• Like 14

1 minute ago, dubbel zout said:

It's kind of cheesy and more than a bit manipulative, but a three-legged dog that's also a war hero? I'm so in.

Right? They totally got me with the dog.

• Like 7

I watched the pilot with hope that it was in the mold of This is Us, but as much as I love the dog, this was just another soap with a bunch of average actors except Lorraine Toussaint, Frankie Faison, and Dominic Chianese. 

• Like 1

I didn’t know about this show at all until This is Us episode was over tonight. I’m not sure what it’s trying to be? Everwood or One Tree Hill. You know social issues vs relationship drama? Yeah that... 

• Like 1

It's like a very earnest Melrose Place. Maybe it's just because of the mood I was in, but it did make me want to spend more time with my family. I am now going to plan a trip to see an uncle I haven't seen for awhile.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, DeafAngelboy23 said:

I didn’t know about this show at all until This is Us episode was over tonight. I’m not sure what it’s trying to be? Everwood or One Tree Hill. You know social issues vs relationship drama? Yeah that... 

I've been seeing commercials for it for the past couple weeks at least but I wasn't planning to watch it, but then it came on after This Is Us and I just left it on. It's likely to be one of those things I'll watch because it's on after something else I watch (New Amsterdam is in the same category). We'll see. (But they did get me in the heart with the three-legged dog.)

• Like 1

I had no idea what this show was about or knew anything about it, other than it was on after This is Us, and I can see why they have it as a companion show. It looks like its going to be a very earnest, feels heavy ensemble show, so I can get why they would go well together. 

I kind of liked it enough to keep on after This is Us at least, so thats something. even though I am not totally sure how all everyone is connected to each other beside living in the same building/area and what their relationships all are, and it seems like there is so much going on it might be hard to keep track of everything. Also, the teen daughter looks and kind of acts like a younger version of Britta from Community, and that was all I could think about during her scenes. 

The three legged dog is clearly going to be the break out star.

Edited by tennisgurl

When I saw this topic title last week, I thought of the movie The Village, and didn't really pay attention to the actual description. I also totally forgot about it, but I will probably tune in for the dog.

Apparently the pregnant teen is Casper Van Dien’s daughter and Robert Mitchum’s great granddaughter and that’s the most interesting thing I found out about the show.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

I watched this show only because it was on after "This is Us".  It seemed like they were trying too hard to stuff too many storylines into one show.  Too many characters and too many tangled storylines.  As others have said, I liked the dog....Awww, and I liked the old men, they were funny.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I watched the pilot with hope that it was in the mold of This is Us, but as much as I love the dog, this was just another soap with a bunch of average actors except Lorraine Toussaint, Frankie Faison, and Dominic Chianese.  

I am only watching for these 2.

• Like 1

Blah.  So hackneyed and trite.  Delightful old codger.  Gruff but caring vet (did you know that he doesn't like "thank you for your service"?).  Pregnant teen wo considers abortion for about 10 seconds (because no one on TV ever gets an abortian!).  Magical Negroes with history-filled bar and cancer (because TV writers don't know any other diseases!)  I'll watch because my wife likes it, but probably do something else while it plays.

10 hours ago, buttersister said:

I’ll come back for the dog, but don’t know if I’ll stay.

But will you sit?  beg?  roll over????

Edited by jhlipton
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 3

6 hours ago, jhlipton said:

(did you know that he doesn't like "thank you for your service"?)

I legit wonder how many vets do. It's become a trite saying, IMO, like offering "thoughts and prayers" after the latest natural disaster/mass shooting/other tragedy.

• Like 10

I tried this because it's on after This Is Us. I turned it off about 20 minutes in, I found it too trite and quite boring. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I legit wonder how many vets do. It's become a trite saying, IMO, like offering "thoughts and prayers" after the latest natural disaster/mass shooting/other tragedy.

I put it more in the "Sorry for your loss" after a death category -- where the thought matters more than the words.  It's trite, but it's not counterproductive the way "thoughts and prayers" replace doing something to prevent a future tragedy.

• Like 3

I think a lot of “thank you for your service” goes back to how veterans were treated after Vietnam. It was terrible for my father when returning and my mother while he was serving. My father always made it a point to say thank you. He never wanted anyone to feel like he did when he returned.  I have bought meals, anonymously, for the same reason. 

Edited by Aliconehead
  • Like 9

8 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

My husband and I feel a bit uncomfortable hearing it, but i know that people mean it as a kind gesture so I graciously thank them and move on.  Most other vets I know feel the same way, too.  it is nice to feel appreciated, even if we don’t feel like we deserve it. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

How did all these people in middle-class type jobs  (nurse, cop, social worker) end up living in a nice apartment building in NYC? I did like that the immigrant was Iranian and her accent was believable.

• Like 2

One more quibble -- the men at the home would have been Korean or Vietnam vets .  It seemed like the show was treating them like WW2 vets, which just no. 

• Like 2

I dropped out of watching This Is Us during its first season but tuned in to check this out for Warren Christie, Queen Toussaint, and the dog.  A building where the neighbors all care about each other as human beings?  Yeah, I'll watch that.  The fact that some would scorn the concept is a sad commentary on today's society.  Maybe a building full of good-hearted people is too far a stretch into the fantasy realm for us.  

• Like 13

I'm in for Toussaint and the dog.  I mean, I probably would have been in for either of them.  Both?  It is an embarrassment of riches this show.  It also seems INCREDIBLY snark worthy.   

All I'm saying is if my old person ran off and stole my credit card, I might also be bitchy especially if he didn't invite me to his amusement park adventure!  I love rides!   

The immigration story is topical and everything but the whole law student is doing her more of a favor than a pro bono immigration attorney?  Really?   Really!?!?!?    

Edited by bybrandy
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

That poor dog, having to walk up and down four flights of stairs on three legs. 

I suppose it will be a drama point all through the season when the new divorced guy ( sorry, it will take me 2-3 episodes to sort out names) finds out that Nick the vet is Sarah's father.  There goes the dating possibility.  We'll see. 

There's a wealth of good stories here if they can manage it.  I like the idea of the Thursday Night get together on the roof.

• Like 1

Just watched the first episode. Sure was quite a bit to digest with all these characters. There are about ten storylines going forward.

I'm going to stick with it. Just love the dog.

• Like 2

I am in love with Jedi.  (Who is the handsomest boy is the world???) I wonder if he was a bomb dog IRL.

The rest of the show is ok.  I'll give it the 3-episode test and if it fails I'll DVR it and fast-forward to the dog's scenes.

• Like 4

S01.E02:   Good Thing

Summary

Sarah uncovers more of Katie's secret and has a confrontation with Nick. Enzo struggles with a disappointing new roommate. Ava makes progress with her case.

I’m happy for Enzo. But the mother/daughter dance gave me morning sickness. I dunno, Show. You’re teetering on the edge of cliche overdose.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 1

It's funny, I agree with the observations that this show is trite and heavy on cliches, but some decent acting and the music choices did combine to get me in the feels tonight.  

And of course, the dog.

• Like 5

I really hate it when the mom pulls a "you've only known for a limited time you're a parent and I've been one for [whatever time], so you have no say here!" Yeah, whose fault is that? Gah.

This pregnancy story is deeply dumb and deeply uninteresting, and I also don't like that the redhead girlfriend is being shown as so demanding to want her boyfriend to spend a bit more time with her. It doesn't sound as if his overinvolvement with everything is new, but that doesn't mean she doesn't have a point.

Not nearly enough dog, though I suspect this will continue, given the expense and hassle of animals on set.

• Like 3

With all the shit going on that divides people, it’s refreshing to see people building community - I’m up to give this show a good chance.

• Like 13

It is sort of cliche, but I am really liking it. Although the teenager is annoying. I usually don't have a problem with the token teenager, but this girl seems annoying. She finds out she is pregnant and does nothing for 7 weeks?

So army guy found out he had a daughter seven-years ago and now is pretending he didn't know. I'm sure he will throw out that incriminating photo so it doesn't get found by Sarah or Katie right when they have started to connect.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

So army guy found out he had a daughter seven-years ago and now is pretending he didn't know. I'm sure he will throw out that incriminating photo so it doesn't get found by Sarah or Katie right when they have started to connect.

I think at most he had suspicions—he wouldn't write "Is she yours?" on the photo. I'm assuming Sarah told the truth about his being Katie's father, as except to add another layer of soap to the show (which wouldn't be a huge surprise), there's no reason for her to lie after all these years. And the story she told Katie jibes with Sarah's history with Nick. Why concoct something that complicated?

Its so tropey, and sometimes it gets to be a bit too saccharine (like the dancing our mother/daughter problems out), but I am still enjoying this show, and all of its warm fuzzy feelings. I am very good with watching decent people do decent things for awhile. 

So the mom never told the army vet that he had a kid until now, but he has known for a few years? This is confusing, and doesent really make either of them look great, but I am willing to see where it goes.

• Like 8

Show of hands here.  When Katie said the child's father was 'Jagger', how many of you thought it was Mick?

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

5 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

She finds out she is pregnant and does nothing for 7 weeks?

I don't think this is terribly unusual.  She knows the second she admits it out loud that it is the end of her world. She's frightened.  She ignores it until she can't anymore.  I mean it is a TERRIBLE decision.  But I think it is one that gets made a lot by scared teenage children.    

The show is super cliche but at least I like that it seems to be moving these stories along a bit.  Cancer diagnosis is out there.  Pregnancy is known by a fair number of people.  Military guy being teenager's father is out there with a couple of people.   

I don't like red headed girlfriend.  But she's right.   He should not, not even a little bit, be skipping law school exams.  Having Enzo there is the nice thing to do, and it is what I would do in that situation but it isn't going to make any of his other obligations less and might make them more.   

Still, Grandpa said Grandma wouldn't like her so red headed girlfriend is clearly not somebody we're supposed to be investing in.

Edited by bybrandy
  • Like 2

I think Grace Van Dien who plays Katie looks like a young Scarlett Johansson.  Great visual effects for Nick's prostetic leg.  Love the dog. Doubtful he's a real war veteran - most likely was a rescue from a shelter which is awesome. 

Interesting that Israeli actress Moran Atias (Ava) often plays an Arab. I loved her in The Tyrant. 

I thought the mother-daughter dancing sequence was eye-rolling, so I fast forwarded through it.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Feline Queen said:

I loved her in The Tyrant. 

Ha.  Didn't catch that.  Of course, Nick was Bassam/Barry way back when, too.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2019 at 11:29 PM, buttersister said:

But the mother/daughter dance gave me morning sickness. I dunno, Show. You’re teetering on the edge of cliche overdose.

Going for Gilmore Girls feel? I sense that quite often in the mom/daughter scenes.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2019 at 4:37 PM, Feline Queen said:

I think Grace Van Dien who plays Katie looks like a young Scarlett Johansson.  Great visual effects for Nick's prostetic leg.  Love the dog. Doubtful he's a real war veteran - most likely was a rescue from a shelter which is awesome. 

Interesting that Israeli actress Moran Atias (Ava) often plays an Arab. I loved her in The Tyrant. 

I thought the mother-daughter dancing sequence was eye-rolling, so I fast forwarded through it.  

Iranians aren't Arabs!

Of course Ava knew that her papers were fraudulent. Such a cliche.

• Like 2

Meh, with a dose of outrage.

This is the corporate network trying to make ICE be something that it isn't. Cots to sleep in? It would be more like a floor. ICE is the worst, they would have just grabbed the woman and the kid, because they are abusive pricks. They do this in real life but of course TV doesn't want to show the reality so they decide to make a show full of fantasy and call it a drama.

No good people work for ICE and I am not sold that there is one good NY cop left. Even if it is in the Brooklyn. 

I don't EVER thank anyone for their service. I am sorry about what they might have gone through but the last 17 years have been invasion after invasion, and all the atrocities we committed - sorry good guys, I don't know if you are really a good one.

• Like 4

On 3/27/2019 at 11:25 PM, bybrandy said:

I don't think this is terribly unusual.  She knows the second she admits it out loud that it is the end of her world. She's frightened.  She ignores it until she can't anymore.  I mean it is a TERRIBLE decision.  But I think it is one that gets made a lot by scared teenage children.    

I'm a social worker.  Trust me, these terrible decisions get made by adults all the time too.  

• Like 5
  • Useful 1