Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
photo fox

Hercule Poirot

My god. WTH thought it was funny to make him a hulking ex priest in the ABC Murders? And to make every single person, including the cop, a first class douche?

Someone spent too much time impressed with themselves in film school

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I couldn't finish the first episode. None of the Amazon Christie adaptations has impressed me apart from Crooked House. Just curious, but are all the smutty bits in the books or are they added for these new adaptations?

• Like 1

I am as big A David Suchet fan as the next man and after the first episode I am still in it. I am pretty sure I read the ABC Murders but cannot remember the whole story. 

I am a fan of John Malkovich though. I think he looks just like Chuck Close. 

Edited by sjankis630
  • Laugh 1

OK. Can anyone explain what the daughter was doing to the sales dude by walking on his back? that was just weird. I am also assuming that he was sickened by the eggs - throwing them up - because they looked like the fat dude's cyst on his neck.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2019 at 10:14 PM, sjankis630 said:

OK. Can anyone explain what the daughter was doing to the sales dude by walking on his back? that was just weird. I am also assuming that he was sickened by the eggs - throwing them up - because they looked like the fat dude's cyst on his neck.

I think it was a pain-pleasure thing. He wanted other kinds of pain to distract from the blinding headaches, and that got rolled up into a weird fetish thing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sjankis630 said:

Well what did he have? Was it epilepsy?

Yes, that's the diagnosis given in the episode.

• Like 1

I tried watching Malkovich's The ABC Murders and didn't even make it through the first episode. It was grim and unpleasant to the point of parody, as if someone took every interaction and twisted it to make it as awful as possible. Yuck.

I've been rewatching some of the Suchet series on Acorn. I love the episodes with Hastings, but had forgotten how good Season 9 is. Five Little Pigs is one of my favorites. I seem to remember some people objected to the changes made to Toby Stephens's character, but I found the scene where he confessed his feelings for Amyas very moving.

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Like 3

I finally got around to watching “The ABC Murders”.  I actually made it through to the end.  What a mess.  I hated almost everything about it.  Hated Malcovich’s interpretation and mannerisms, hated the fact that he was an ex-priest (whyyyy?), couldn’t care less about the flashbacks to the French countryside, hated Ron Weasley, hated almost every character.

I doubt I’ll be back for more of these Malcovich Poirots.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Malkovich was terrible as Poirot. Suchet gets the humor, wit and intelligence of the character. Malkovich was morbid and dreary. Branagh is a buffoon. 

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Like 5