Type keyword(s) to search

Hercule Poirot - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I am as big A David Suchet fan as the next man and after the first episode I am still in it. I am pretty sure I read the ABC Murders but cannot remember the whole story. 

I am a fan of John Malkovich though. I think he looks just like Chuck Close. 

Edited by sjankis630
  • LOL 1

OK. Can anyone explain what the daughter was doing to the sales dude by walking on his back? that was just weird. I am also assuming that he was sickened by the eggs - throwing them up - because they looked like the fat dude's cyst on his neck.

• Love 1
On 3/23/2019 at 10:14 PM, sjankis630 said:

OK. Can anyone explain what the daughter was doing to the sales dude by walking on his back? that was just weird. I am also assuming that he was sickened by the eggs - throwing them up - because they looked like the fat dude's cyst on his neck.

I think it was a pain-pleasure thing. He wanted other kinds of pain to distract from the blinding headaches, and that got rolled up into a weird fetish thing.

• Love 1
(edited)

I tried watching Malkovich's The ABC Murders and didn't even make it through the first episode. It was grim and unpleasant to the point of parody, as if someone took every interaction and twisted it to make it as awful as possible. Yuck.

I've been rewatching some of the Suchet series on Acorn. I love the episodes with Hastings, but had forgotten how good Season 9 is. Five Little Pigs is one of my favorites. I seem to remember some people objected to the changes made to Toby Stephens's character, but I found the scene where he confessed his feelings for Amyas very moving.

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6

I finally got around to watching “The ABC Murders”.  I actually made it through to the end.  What a mess.  I hated almost everything about it.  Hated Malcovich’s interpretation and mannerisms, hated the fact that he was an ex-priest (whyyyy?), couldn’t care less about the flashbacks to the French countryside, hated Ron Weasley, hated almost every character.

I doubt I’ll be back for more of these Malcovich Poirots.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Hello! Finally found a thread for this! I've been wanting to talk about my favorite Poirot. And the atrocity that was Brannagh's take as well as the horridness that was Malkovich's! But y'all have already said what I also thought!

I stumbled across Super Slueths: Poirot on...Tubi I think it was last night and it was wonderful. Christie's grandson looks just like her.

And as @atlantaloves stated:

On 1/9/2020 at 7:44 PM, atlantaloves said:

Let's face it fans, there is only one Poirot....and we know who he is. 

And my response to that is:

giphy.gif

• Like 4
On 4/29/2023 at 1:07 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Hello! Finally found a thread for this! I've been wanting to talk about my favorite Poirot. And the atrocity that was Brannagh's take as well as the horridness that was Malkovich's! But y'all have already said what I also thought!

I stumbled across Super Slueths: Poirot on...Tubi I think it was last night and it was wonderful. Christie's grandson looks just like her.

And as @atlantaloves stated:

And my response to that is:

giphy.gif

Thank you for the heads-up! I’ll have to run to Tubi later for that one.

I dearly love Poirot, particularly Suchet’s version — with some caveats.

I’m not at all a fan of some of the later adaptations. MotOE was way too dark (literally and figuratively). And don’t get me started on Cards on the Table, which changed a damned murderer identity! There’s more, but I don’t want to go down a rabbit hole.

My Anglophile grandmother introduced me to Christie books in middle school and I’ve been obsessed ever since. Those earlier adaptations are comfort TV for me, right up there with Murder She Wrote. (Not sure what it says about me that my comfort viewing involves people being killed…)

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
4 minutes ago, AgathaC said:

I’m not at all a fan of some of the later adaptations. MotOE was way too dark (literally and figuratively). And don’t get me started on Cards on the Table, which changed a damned murderer identity! There’s more, but I don’t want to go down a rabbit hole.

My Anglophile grandmother introduced me to Christie books in middle school and I’ve been obsessed ever since. Those earlier adaptations are comfort TV for me, right up there with Murder She Wrote. (Not sure what it says about me that my comfort viewing involves people being killed…)

I know what you mean. I absolutely refuse to watch the McEwan versions of Miss Marple after they changed the murderer in Body in the Library. Why bother filming Christie if you're going to change Christie? Just make up you're own stories. But of course Suchet was perfect for many years and I couldn't abandon him towards the end.

It used to be that whenever I was upset or anxious my go to book was Mrs. McGinty's Dead.

• Like 3
(edited)
17 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I know what you mean. I absolutely refuse to watch the McEwan versions of Miss Marple after they changed the murderer in Body in the Library. Why bother filming Christie if you're going to change Christie? Just make up you're own stories. But of course Suchet was perfect for many years and I couldn't abandon him towards the end.

It used to be that whenever I was upset or anxious my go to book was Mrs. McGinty's Dead.

Exactly. At least the Poirot series didn’t insert him into non-Poirot stories.

I don’t mind changes. Some are necessary when adapting from book to screen. But changing the killer, the victim, the motive — that’s a no-go.

What made the Cards on the Table change particularly egregious was that the new killer was a character who actually appears again in another novel! Granted, it wasn’t a Poirot book, so it wasn’t one they’d adapt and have to adjust, but still…

Edited by AgathaC
  • Like 4
(edited)
8 hours ago, AgathaC said:

Thank you for the heads-up! I’ll have to run to Tubi later for that one.

I dearly love Poirot, particularly Suchet’s version — with some caveats.

No thanks necessary! I know a lot of the posters in this thread are fans of the one and only true Poirot from the Everything Else NOT TV forum on this site.

I've spent the weekend watching the first season and am up to mid-season of two. But, I admit, that I scrolled to see if there was an episode for The ABC Murders and was blanking on whether there was one for Murder on the Orient Express. So naturally I watched those first. And I felt myself having rage blackouts as I watched the vastly superior episode as opposed to that Malkovich mini-series.

Because one:

• They killed Japp?!!!!🤬🤬
  • No Hastings???🤬
  • No Miss Lemon????!!!🤬
  • And they aged him up by what, 20 years?!

Fine if the writer wanted to do her own dreary, dark, depressing movie or mini-series more power to her. They should have just said "inspired by Agatha Christie's "The ABC Murders" instead of "based on" because. No. Just NO!  Instead they have that douchetastic arsehole of a copper, dogging "Poirot's" every step.

And I agree, that even Murder on the Orient Express was too dark for me. And again, lacking in Hastings, who I find a lovable dork, who is often times than not, clueless! I'd forgotten that Jessica Chastain was in it. I didn't like how Poirot let them all get off scot-free, either. Though I think I read up thread that in the books, there were times where he believed in vigilantism. 

Full Disclosure: I don't know how unpopular this is (I'm assuming there used to be a full forum, and then got changed to a single thread, since "The Little Gray Cells" is not in the title any longer), but I prefer the episodes where all the characters and guest stars are English. Meaning, I don't really care for the ones that star American characters. And I'm not English!🤪

And what I loved about the documentary was how Suchet said he read every single book so he could bring Poirot to life from the page--from the way he spoke, to his mannerisms, and his mincing walk.

And now I have to get back to work!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 3
(edited)
On 5/1/2023 at 8:33 AM, AgathaC said:

Those earlier adaptations are comfort TV for me, right up there with Murder She Wrote. (Not sure what it says about me that my comfort viewing involves people being killed…)

Same! I'll add Midsomer Murders to the list of comfort TV! 

Edited by mellyf
  • Like 1

Hey y’all! Another question for Agatha Christie fans-who is the best Miss Marple??? I actually quite enjoyed Angela Lansbury’s portrayal in The Mirror Crack’d but that was a movie.

currently watching the 2005 series with Geraldine McEwan. And I couldn’t find a forum for this series. 

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

So as I sit here watching 1978’s Death on the Nile (AMAZING CAST!!!) I still can’t believe so many think Ustinov is the perfect Poirot. He’s better than Branagh and Malkovich (as good of actors they are, they’re HORRIBLE as Poirot), and Finney. Suchet is the Platinum standard as far as I’m concerned.

It tickles me to see Lois Chiles as Linnet and Mia Farrow as Jackie, as they starred together in The Great Gatsby four years earlier.

And again, a smile on my face to see Bollywood actors I.S. Johar as Choudary and Saeed Jeffrey (uncredited as the attendant who found the bloody towel from Louise’s murder). Don’t know if Johar’s character was made up for the movie or not.

But MY OH MY! Dame Maggie Smith! Angela Lansbury (this makes TWO of Dame Christie’s movie adaptations she starred in that I’ve seen), and Bette Davis!

I’m meh on Simon MacCorkindale as an actor (but damn, he passed away in 2010 at 58! Too young.FUCK CANCER!!)

Ahem.

But I LOVE the fashion!! I think I would loved living in the 30s.

I WILL NOT watch Branagh’s version. Especially since they’ve changed it.

Dame Christie’s books are timeless! Why muck it up to “modernize” or whatever it is they feel they “HAVE” to do?

Thoughts?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 4
  • Applause 2

Watching Suchet’s version of “Death on the Nile” and it’s interesting how the character of Rosalie is the total opposite of Olivia Hussey’s version.

I just downloaded the kindle of the book. Let’s see how book!Rosalie is like.

Emily Blunt as Linnet was so…forgettable. She does nothing for me and I am at a loss to why so many think she’s this great actress.

Ooh! But Hutch* ❤️David Soul❤️ as Pennington!

Suchet is just wonderful.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 9/13/2023 at 6:34 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

So as I sit here watching 1978’s Death on the Nile (AMAZING CAST!!!) I still can’t believe so many think Ustinov is the perfect Poirot. He’s better than Branagh and Malkovich (as good of actors they are, they’re HORRIBLE as Poirot), and Finney. Suchet is the Platinum standard as far as I’m concerned.

Well, Ustinov was better than Finney’s bordering on Pepe Le Pew version. Low bar, I know, but still.

6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Watching Suchet’s version of “Death on the Nile” and it’s interesting how the character of Rosalie is the total opposite of Olivia Hussey’s version.

Haven’t seen Suchet’s version yet, but I did love Olivia Hussey. Her costumes were so pretty…not to manage Angela Fucking Lansbury absolutely serving as Salome. 

Dame Christie’s books are timeless! Why muck it up to “modernize” or whatever it is they feel they “HAVE” to do?

Well to be fair the most recent version of And Then There Were None was great if only because it was the one that had the balls to let Vera be as EVUL as she was in the novel.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

David Suchet is absolutely the definitive Hercule Poirot: Pompous, prissy, a bit decadent, but also brilliant, dogged, and cares about people (or at least gives the impression that he does). 

I can't stand Kenneth Branaugh's Poirot: He's too tall and strapping (this Poirot would never even look at sweets), his personality is all wrong (must every character nowadays be a generic "badass"??), and God, I hate his mustache with a searing passion. It's too big, too ornate, it looks like it would take hours to groom (I know Poirot is vain and meticulous, but he isn't this impractical), and was it really necessary to give the mustache a tragic backstory?! It's bad enough that every character needs a tragic backstory, but does every literal thing? 

I think 1978's Death on the Nile is my favorite Poirot movie. Great screenwriting, wonderful cast, and-GASP!-it was actually shot in Egypt! 

1974's Murder on the Orient Express was disappointing to me. It was drearily shot, kind of dragged, and Albert Finney was definitely in "fuck it" mode. I adore Ingrid Bergman with all my heart and soul, but I didn't find her performance in this all that Oscar-worthy. As a director, Sidney Lumet was at his best in his comfort zone, which was directing gritty urban dramas about pissed-off white guys (12 Angry Men, Network, Dog Day Afternoon, etc).

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
11 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

1974's Murder on the Orient Express was disappointing to me. It was drearily shot, kind of dragged, and Albert Finney was definitely in "fuck it" mode.

This. And it’s a shame because there were so many big names in the cast…but really? That won all those Oscars?

11 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

David Suchet is absolutely the definitive Hercule Poirot: Pompous, prissy, a bit decadent, but also brilliant, dogged, and cares about people (or at least gives the impression that he does). 

After watching a few Suchet clips I’m inclined to agree, and would like to add that there’s something very…suave about him in spite of his pompous prissiness. I did love how his Poroit in Death on the Nile called out Blunt’s Linnet on stealing Jackie’s boyfriend (not that what she and Simon planning to dupe and kill her all along wasn’t a million times worse, but Poroit didn’t know what was going to happen yet).

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 3
18 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

After watching a few Suchet clips I’m inclined to agree, and would like to add that there’s something very…suave about him in spite of his pompous prissiness.

This, absolutely. Poirot has an abundance of self-confidence that, in spite of his flaws, he's absolutely earned. He is a great detective, he does have the skills to pay the bills, and that's what makes him so appealing as a character. He isn't damaged, insecure, whiny, posturing, or navel-gazing like too many male characters are nowadays. Poirot knows who he is, and likes it, thank you very much.

Nothing is more badass and, if you must, "manly", than genuine self-assuredness. Remember that. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
44 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Poirot knows who he is, and likes it, thank you very much.

“I am Hercule Poirot, I do not need to be told.”

You gotta love a line like that. Egocentric, sure, but when you’re that good, why pretend otherwise?

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I can't stand Kenneth Branaugh's Poirot: He's too tall and strapping (this Poirot would never even look at sweets), his personality is all wrong (must every character nowadays be a generic "badass"??), and God, I hate his mustache with a searing passion. It's too big, too ornate, it looks like it would take hours to groom (I know Poirot is vain and meticulous, but he isn't this impractical), and was it really necessary to give the mustache a tragic backstory?! It's bad enough that every character needs a tragic backstory, but does every literal thing? 

So much THIS! And for all the news and trailers about Gal Gadot playing Linnet in his bastardized version of Death on the Nile, her name isn’t even listed as part of the Top Cast! Or in the remaining “other cast and crew” on IMDB! But only shows up as her starring in it under her profile.

And not only was the 1978 version filmed on location in Egypt* so was Suchet’s version! Fucking CGI can’t make up for the beauty of those pyramids!

*I so wish I had gone to Egypt before all the turmoil that makes it dangerous now. Siiiigh.

Just saw “One, Two, Buckle My Shoe”, and knew who the killers were the second Mabelle said “Gerda” showing only Mabelle. And then fake Mabelle talking to Japp and Poirot? I’m sure EVERYONE watching knew it wasn’t her! Very bad make-up job here. But I still loved Poirot sussing it all out!

Trivia that I didn’t know: it’s reported that Suchet stuck a shilling between his butt cheeks so he could do the pincing walk of Poirot!😆😆😆🤣🤣🤣

AAAAAND. Poirot is THE ONLY FICTIONAL CHARACTER  to get an obit! I believe it was The NY Times with an image, and the ‘Stache wasn’t anywhere near the ABOMINATION that Branagh has covering his face.

He can MISS me with his “thoughts” about Dame Christie, as all the others who “love” his take BASTARDIZATION of Dame Christie’s source material.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I'm looking forward to the new movie The Haunting though I acknowledge all of what you all say about Kenneth Branagh.  It doesn't matter to me, I'm just happy to have ANY new Poirot to enjoy.  Hallowe'en Party is one of Christie's creepiest novels, with the child murders and all.  I loved Zoe Wanamaker as Ariadne Oliver in the David Suchet version.  (She still lives!)  But looking forward to Tina Fey in the role.

Edited by susannot
mistake
  • Like 6
On 9/16/2023 at 6:01 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Well to be fair the most recent version of And Then There Were None was great if only because it was the one that had the balls to let Vera be as EVUL as she was in the novel.

The Agatha Christie Companion, which is a guide to all of her books actually says that the version where two of the characters survive came from Agatha Christie herself (when she adapted the book for the stage in 1943), because "she thought a romantic ending was more suitable for the stage." So most of the movies have used that version. I thought I remembered something about that, so I just looked it up. I'd forgotten though that the original title was incredibly offensive.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, mellyf said:

The Agatha Christie Companion, which is a guide to all of her books actually says that the version where two of the characters survive came from Agatha Christie herself (when she adapted the book for the stage in 1943), because "she thought a romantic ending was more suitable for the stage." So most of the movies have used that version. I thought I remembered something about that, so I just looked it up. I'd forgotten though that the original title was incredibly offensive.

Yes, that’s why, when I saw the 1940s version, I wasn’t too upset. The book ending is better, but it was her story and if she wanted to change it, I wasn’t going to get too worked up about it. And, given the times, her reasoning makes sense. I doubt they would have gotten a truly faithful version past the sensors.

• Like 2
On 9/16/2023 at 4:27 PM, susannot said:

I'm just happy to have ANY new Poirot to enjoy.  Hallowe'en Party is one of Christie's creepiest novels, with the child murders and all. 

But I think it's not really a new Poirot, it's some outlandish character that Branagh invented (not Christie) he moved the setting, changed the plot, changed characters. No way am I watching this. I actually thought Hallowe'en Party was one of Christie's weakest, it's like she forgot what she was going for at the beginning and just slapped together an ending. Maybe that's why he chose it, so he could do what he wanted with it.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

This is what happens when I do marathon watching! I forget the name of the episodes!

What I really really love about Suchet's Poirot, is the expressions of horror, and reluctance when Japps showed him "real" English food, and when offered to eat something he doesn't clearly want to eat.😅🤣

And I agree with @dgpolo-just because it has the name Poirot attached to it, doesn't mean it will BE a Poirot. So after the abomination of Murder on the Orient Express, Malkovich's The ABC Murders, I refuse to watch any more of Branagh's "Poirot" adaptations or Sarawhat'sherface's adaptations. It HURTS to not watch Rufus Sewell, but the actors in an Agatha Christie special indicated it was NOTHING like the source material. And I'm like, wot? And you're thrilled to have done it? WhatEVER!!!

• Like 5
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I agree with @dgpolo-just because it has the name Poirot attached to it, doesn't mean it will BE a Poirot. So after the abomination of Murder on the Orient Express, Malkovich's The ABC Murders, I refuse to watch any more of Branagh's "Poirot" adaptations or Sarawhat'sherface's adaptations. It HURTS to not watch Rufus Sewell, but the actors in an Agatha Christie special indicated it was NOTHING like the source material. And I'm like, wot? And you're thrilled to have done it? WhatEVER!!!

Ugh, I watched several "Amazon Originals" Agatha Christie productions. I think all of them were different from the books. The ABC Murders, Ordeal by Innocence, and The Pale Horse. All of them were a waste of my time. If they make any more of them, I won't be watching. I'm a Branagh fan, but not in regards to his Hercule Poirot. David Suchet has spoiled me. There is no other Poirot.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
13 hours ago, mellyf said:

Ugh, I watched several "Amazon Originals" Agatha Christie productions. I think all of them were different from the books. The ABC Murders, Ordeal by Innocence, and The Pale Horse. All of them were a waste of my time. If they make any more of them, I won't be watching. I'm a Branagh fan, but not in regards to his Hercule Poirot. David Suchet has spoiled me. There is no other Poirot.

I haven’t watched any of those, so thank you for the warning! I did see Branagh’s MotOE. It was ok, but not great. To be honest, much as I adore Suchet, I didn’t care for his Orient Express. Too dark — figuratively and literally. It’s been a few years, but as I recall, there was a level of mental anguish for Poirot that I don’t recall in the book. Also, it was so dark, I really couldn’t keep track of the characters. That story has a lot of characters — all important — and that’s one area I think the Finney movie did well. Casting big stars made it easier to tell them all apart.

Also, someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I seem to recall that version made Mary Debenham the mastermind instead of Mrs. Hubbard? I only watched once long ago.

Anyway, I love Suchet (his travelogue about riding the real Orient Express was a lot of fun and a nice bit of travel porn) but some of the adaptions with him are not great. Cards on the Table comes to mind.

I had high hopes for Branagh’s version. I was obsessed with his movies with Emma Thompson (which reminds me, I need to pull out my copy of Dead Again this Halloween season), but he never should have tried playing Poirot.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, AgathaC said:

Anyway, I love Suchet (his travelogue about riding the real Orient Express was a lot of fun and a nice bit of travel porn) but some of the adaptions with him are not great.

I'll still take some of Suchet's not so great adaptations over everything Branagh and Amazon have done.

• Like 2