Type keyword(s) to search

The Escape Artist - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The point of the somewhat convoluted plan was to have plausible deniability while absolutely ensuring Liam dies. There's too much of a risk of just hoping the anaphylactic shock kills him and the fire consumes evidence before emergency services arrive.

Eh, not really buying it myself.  He easily could've waited long enough to make sure the anaphylactic shock killed the guy before cleaning up any evidence of him being there and driving away.  Even the fire was too convoluted.  For me, the ending was ridiculous.

Interesting; i just finished watching the discs (courtesy of netflix); that scene in the restaurant where maggie is rhapsodizing about the tea is not on the discs. (I saw bits of it on broadcast on one of the local DC PBS stations and saw the scene there.) so should i assume the discs are edited? These have the Masterpiece wraps and ads for... for.... some designer, but not the intros. There are three episodes, each about an hour, so one would think they'd be complete...

I just got around to watching it on disc through Netflix as well, and yeah, didn't see the scene about the tea either, for the life of me I couldn't figure out what Foyle had sent her that had her so scared. Why would they edit the episodes for DVD? I understand sometimes programs get edited for American TV to accommodate ads, but the DVDs shouldn't have those restraints. I wonder what else was removed? 

Maybe I've watched too many "twisty" mysteries that I'm always assuming I'm being led down the wrong path, but I came here to see if anyone else initially thought David Tenant's character had killed his wife and implicated Foyle in the murder; knowing he was capable of murder and expecting him to get convicted. I kept wavering on who had killed Kate right up until the kid said he had scratched the guy. After that the show seemed to start to unravel for me as it seemed rather predictable from then on. I was especially annoyed with the wrap-up discussion between the two lawyers. It felt like they were saying, "See how clever we are, we have to spell it all out for you, and with flashbacks none-the-less because you could've never figured it out on your own." I just prefer my mysteries to be more mysterious and sometimes I prefer to be left not knowing all the details. I like to sit around pondering all the possibilities and working out my own ending, so to speak. 

This was mildly diverting, but really, Will's plan to get the killer was just so damned convoluted!  All he had to do was let the guy die of anaphylactic shock, set fire to the house and walk away.  No one would've known.  Was the point to make sure people knew how smart he thought he was?  I just didn't get it.

I think the point was that he get arrested and put on trial and be acquitted. This way, he controlled the case and had no surprises to deal with. He just used his greatest skill--winning cases--to his advantage. Now that he's acquitted he doesn't have to live with the worry that something will come out later and surprise him. I would assume Britain also has a double jeopardy law of some sort.