Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E13: Pandemonium

On 1/18/2019 at 9:03 PM, taragel said:

I'm putting money down now that Pandas are somehow involved. 

If it’s the magic panda who’s been popping up in the background of scenes, I might lose my mind. 

Edit: Yes, it’s the season finale. 

Edited by Mockingbird
  • Love 2

Interesting. I usually download my episodes from the internet. (it works out for me because the kind people who encode episodes take out the commercials)

I have already downloaded and watched this episode yesterday. Was there some sort of leak?

13 hours ago, sjankis630 said:

Interesting. I usually download my episodes from the internet. (it works out for me because the kind people who encode episodes take out the commercials)

I have already downloaded and watched this episode yesterday. Was there some sort of leak?

On the torrent sites, good place episodes are one nubmer off, because S01E01 was two episodes back to back, so this would be listed as S03E012. I just checked one of the scene sites I use, and I do not see this episode.

May be unpopular, but I'm OVER the mindwiping as a narrative tool on this show.

Yeah, they mixed it up a little by only mindwiping Chidi, but what's the point of watching the show if they're just going to reboot over and over and over again? 

• Love 22

I cant believe I didnt realize that this was the season finale! I think that this might finally be the Bad Place!

Loved ending on the Paradise Lost quote, its very appropriate. Really, you gotta love a show that can easily jump from Milton to butt munches like it aint no thing. "Chidi tricked me into reading it by saying that Satan was totally my type." "Yeah, thats on brand for you" 

Sean really is a diabolical motherforker. And when Chidi and Eleanor were watching the video of them together...why is my house so dusty all of the sudden...so strange... "Whenever I talk about my stomach hurting because of anxiety, I am thinking of you." "So all of the time" "Yep." SOBS!!!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 22

OUCH. The dot on the I in bearimy may have broken Chidi, but Michael’s going away video broke me. 

Janet IS a great friend. 

I don’t actually mind one last mind wipe. While each season did end with a mind wipe, I’ve always thought it was more important that each season ended with Eleanor setting the wheels in motion to find Chidi. 

Edited by Mockingbird
I wasn’t paying attention the first time I watched, clearly
  • Love 24

Wow really good ending and clever to only wipe Chidi's mind because you have everyone else remembering their history with Chidi except him and yet needing him not to remember.  Add to it his ex girlfriend who was actually a good girlfriend and someone he geniunly liked into the mix and you have ALOT of well Pandemonium because of simply wiping Chidi;s mind.   The scenes with Chidi and Eleanor where they were watching their history was both sweet and sad.  

16 minutes ago, MrWhyt said:

Sean is an evil motherforker

Anyone can send serial killers to "The Good Place" but it takes real naughty bitch to bring in Tahani's tormenter and then Chidi's ex.    And we still have two more contestants,  

• Love 21

I'm having a bit of a problem with the finale in that I don't actually buy that Chidi needed mind wipe to avoid ruining the experiment.   Or that he even really thought he would.  Or that anyone would go along with it.  They didn't sell me on that at all.  For the first time it felt like the mind wipe was a convenient cliffhanger for a finale rather than a set up for some amazing swerve.  

I guess the point was that Chidi was decisive about it and it didn't matter if it was noble or cowardly.  So progress on what got him sent to the bad place?

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

I'm having a bit of a problem with the finale in that I don't actually buy that Chidi needed mind wipe to avoid ruining the experiment.   Or that he even really thought he would.  Or that anyone would go along with it.  They didn't sell me on that at all.  For the first time it felt like the mind wipe was a convenient cliffhanger for a finale rather than a set up for some amazing swerve.  

I guess the point was that Chidi was decisive about it and it didn't matter if it was noble or cowardly.  So progress on what got him sent to the bad place?

It isn't clear what the rules allow them to tell people. But presumably they can't know they're in an experiment so Chidi couldn't ever discuss anything from the breakup on. And it makes sense that Chidi couldn't pull off lying to her, even if the show does look the other way on that occasionally.

• Love 4

This may be an unpopular opinion but....meh. Chidi can’t be around Simone but he expects Elenor to be around him???? Harsh! So now we have to watch them find their way back to each other again???? Like I said....meh.

• Love 13

Oh, Shawn, you diabolical little bastard!  That demon totally knew how to game the system and the four new "guests" are going to be people who will personally torture the heroes in their own way.  Well played, Shawn!  So, now we've got this blogger that made Tahani's life a living hell and Simone is back (yay) to cause conflict with Chidi.  I wonder who he got for Eleanor and Jason.  For Eleanor, that list is likely a mile long.  As for Jason, it probably is someone responsible for the Jacksonville Jaguars failing to make it to the Superbowl!

I'm not majorly wild about Eleanor/Chidi still, but Kristen Bell and William Jackson Harper really sold their reactions to everything.  I'm unsure if wiping Chidi's mind was the only real option, but I can understand why he would think he would be incapable of not spilling the beans to Simone somehow, and believed that it was the only way.  I am curious to see how a memory-wiped Chidi will coexist with not just Eleanor, but Tahani and Jason as well.

Loved that Chidi said that Michael was acting like him, and that's why he knew things were bad!

I'm glad Tahani got a lot to do at the beginning of this episode, but it kind of feels like she really didn't factor in this season.  Hopefully that will be rectified going forward.

As usual, I can't wait to see where this all goes next.  Still one of my favorite comedies these past few years and maybe even of all time.  Great job by everyone as usual, although special recognition to William Jackson Harper and D'Arcy Carden, who I think were the MVPs this season.  Oh, and, of course, Marc Evan Jackson for stealing every scene he was in, one deadpan line at a time.  Can't wait till next season!

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Oh, Shawn, you diabolical little bastard!  That demon totally knew how to game the system and the four new "guests" are going to be people who will personally torture the heroes in their own way.  Well played, Shawn!  So, now we've got this blogger that made Tahani's life a living hell and Simone is back (yay) to cause conflict with Chidi.  I wonder who he got for Eleanor and Jason.  For Eleanor, that list is likely a mile long.  As for Jason, it probably is someone responsible for the Jacksonville Jaguars failing to make it to the Superbowl!

(Snip)

I think he just got Chidi for Eleanor...

• Love 12

I still love this show but another reboot just annoys me. Couldn’t they do something else? I hate repetitiveness like this. It starts to make me slowly not like the show as much. I guess we will see next season.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

I'm glad Tahani got a lot to do at the beginning of this episode, but it kind of feels like she really didn't factor in this season.  Hopefully that will be rectified going forward.

Not as much Tahani as I would have liked, but what we got was golden. "He said that I didnt go to P. Diddys White Party, but I was there! I swear it Eleanor I WAS THERE!!!"

• Love 19

I’m still a blubbering mess. The final scene of them watching some of their memories (dancing in the rain!) made it worse. They finally got to be happy, cute and horny together and now the writers ripped them apart again. And now I find out this is the season finale? No forking way, show. No forking way!

I liked that Tahani reigned in her crazy and figured out the blogger was there to test her. I’m also wondering who the other two people are going to be- maybe Eleanor’s mother will be one of them? They have to be people that would torture Eleanor and Jason. I love how Michael was not liking the idea of wiping Chidi’s mind and kept insisting they brain storm for a better idea. 

• Love 9

That was pretty special.  Michael’s panic and thick neck, Janet being one of those three things (friend!), Tahani choosing to not engage with the blogger, Jason telling Elenor she’s the Blake Bortles of whatever this is, and the lovely home movies for Chidi and Elenor. 

This ep made me laugh then cry then both at the same time. (Lry?? Craugh??).  The Good Place is such a truly one of a kind show, that I have to make up words to describe how it hits me in the feels. 

• Love 12
6 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

S1 ends with the gang getting their minds wiped.  S2 ends with the gang getting their minds wiped.  S3 ends with only Chidi getting his mind wiped.  Does that represent an improvement?

6 hours ago, jmonique said:

May be unpopular, but I'm OVER the mindwiping as a narrative tool on this show.

I am WAY over mindwiping. I have to say this season was a disappointment to me. The plot wasn't as good, & now mindwipe again. Not at all happy.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, GaT said:

I am WAY over mindwiping. I have to say this season was a disappointment to me. The plot wasn't as good, & now mindwipe again. Not at all happy.

Couple of things.  One: No more dumping on Chidi.  Two: any more mind wiping will kill my intense love for this show.  Possibly forever.

• Love 4

On one hand, this episode was TGP at its best - at one end of the spectrum, you have things like the sublimely absurd RBG/Drake jokes and Jason's sequence of pizza questions, and on the other, you have things like Chidi's genuinely lovely and moving Jeremy Bearimy speech.

But as a whole, I have to agree with those who feel a little jerked around by the whole thing. It isn't that I don't think that -given this particular set of circumstances - Chidi would do this, or that it wouldn't make sense for him to do so. Yet, as the show (like the bad place demons) is responsible for engineering the situation to force this choice, it still comes off as manipulative - and, frankly, a little too close to a traditional sitcom move for this show. Yes, the circumstances are bizarre, but once you take away the Pandemonium of it all, what we have is a show forcing a complication on its OTP, in the form of the return of a romantic rival, immediately after finally bringing them together, which is a really old trope. Plus it relies on yet another memory wipe, which is by now becoming a tired trope for this show, specifically.

• Love 12
17 minutes ago, companionenvy said:

On one hand, this episode was TGP at its best - at one end of the spectrum, you have things like the sublimely absurd RBG/Drake jokes and Jason's sequence of pizza questions, and on the other, you have things like Chidi's genuinely lovely and moving Jeremy Bearimy speech.

But as a whole, I have to agree with those who feel a little jerked around by the whole thing. It isn't that I don't think that -given this particular set of circumstances - Chidi would do this, or that it wouldn't make sense for him to do so. Yet, as the show (like the bad place demons) is responsible for engineering the situation to force this choice, it still comes off as manipulative - and, frankly, a little too close to a traditional sitcom move for this show. Yes, the circumstances are bizarre, but once you take away the Pandemonium of it all, what we have is a show forcing a complication on its OTP, in the form of the return of a romantic rival, immediately after finally bringing them together, which is a really old trope. Plus it relies on yet another memory wipe, which is by now becoming a tired trope for this show, specifically.

Very well said. I was even moved by the Eleanor/Chidi stuff (when Chidi said he'd miss her and Eleanor replied "But you won't!" I was really struck), but I also thought "Again?" And there's clearly going to be competition between Eleanor and Simone for Chidi's affection that I'm not sure how I feel about.

• Love 7