Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E10: Nihilism

• Start Topic

Brought over from Bitter Spoilers since it just pertains to this episode:

The acting from pretty much anyone but JA was ridiculous. (How brilliant was Jensen's imitation of the "raised you from perdition" line? He acts rings around anyone else.)

I actually really liked the comedy skit Sam and Cas were doing in the loop sequence. Their increasingly "what the hell" reactions when they remained in place but sequences skipped ahead. Once they were blood-spattered and Dean and Pamela were all like "wow, that ghoul hunt was rough". This was really funny. 

And while Jack might be a one-note character as a pure baby, I do believe Alex Calvert does the best he can with it and, wel, he plays the character as obviously intended. 

Maggie, I have to agree on. It was ludicrous to have her as team leader among that group. The AU hunters were kinda inserts into this episode that made you go "oh come on, skip".     

• Love 4

Agree with the majority here that this episode was the best of the season! Jensen was phenomenal in both roles. This (as others have noted) is what we should have been seeing since the beginning of the season. Just a couple of thoughts here. Am I the only one who questions if Dean is "out"? I thought that the last scene in which Billie meets him in a room was in his head. The reason I suspect this is because they all (Cas, Sam, Dean and Michael) were in Dean's mind in the bar when Dean locked Michael in the storeroom. How did they get out of Dean's mind and into the real world? We only saw Sam talking to Maggie and Cas talking to Jack in the bunker - we didn't see Dean interact with anyone except Billie. I suspect I'm being too literal, not embracing enough "supernatural reasons" to get Dean out, but even the colorization in that last scene was different. Well, who knows, I'll find out next week, I guess.  But regardless, I loved the episode with a passion I haven't felt for awhile. I agree with others' speculations that the notebook that Billie gave Dean probably tells him that he will have to die - together with Michael - in order to make the world safe again. I suspect it will be either with Samifer or Nickifer, but maybe not - just get the message to Sam that he has to kill him now before Michael can escape and they'll both go together into The Empty. Whatever comes next, at least it sounds promising! BTW, this is the first episode during Dabb's reign that he didn't write after the Holiday hiatus. Also, no promotion for it either. Says a lot, doesn't it? Thank God for Yockey!

Edited by FlickChick
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Wateroflife said:

I think they'd be in Dean's wheelhouse, but I also think he would agree with me that, although they are awesome, the use of rock flute is an abomination.

Aww, my Marshall Tucker Band and Jethro Tull appreciating heart is crushed. ; )  (And "Locomotive Breath" is classic and if it hasn't been on this show yet, that song should be,)

And my hubby agrees with you on the song. He said "great song... Marshall Tucker Band" right away.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

Agree with the majority here that this episode was the best of the season! Jensen was phenomenal in both roles. This (as others have noted) is what we should have been seeing since the beginning of the season. Just a couple of thoughts here. Am I the only one who questions if Dean is "out"? I thought that the last scene in which Billie meets him in a room was in his head. The reason I suspect this is because they all (Cas, Sam, Dean and Michael) were in Dean's mind in the bar when Dean locked Michael in the storeroom. How did they get out of Dean's mind and into the real world? We only saw Sam talking to Maggie and Cas talking to Jack in the bunker - we didn't see Dean interact with anyone except Billie. I suspect I'm being too literal, not embracing enough "supernatural reasons" to get Dean out, but even the colorization in that last scene was different. Well, who knows, I'll find out next week, I guess.  But regardless, I loved the episode with a passion I haven't felt for awhile. I agree with others' speculations that the notebook that Billie gave Dean probably tells him that he will have to die - together with Michael - in order to make the world safe again. I suspect it will be either with Samifer or Nickifer, but maybe not - just get the message to Sam that he has to kill him now before Michael can escape and they'll both go together into The Empty. Whatever comes next, at least it sounds promising! BTW, this is the first episode during Dabb's reign that he didn't write after the Holiday hiatus. Also, no promotion for it either. Says a lot, doesn't it? Thank God for Yockey!

Not sure if this comment should go here or Spoilers...but Billie left Dean with the physical book. I hope he shows it to Sam and Cas so they can help- no more secrets between those 3, please!

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Aww, my Marshall Tucker Band and Jethro Tull appreciating heart is crushed. ; )  (And "Locomotive Breath" is classic and if it hasn't been on this show yet, that song should be,)

And my hubby agrees with you on the song. He said "great song... Marshall Tucker Band" right away.

Lol. Actually I love both those bands too, but everytime the flute comes in, visions of Ron Burgundy start prancing around my head.

They used Locomotive Breath in S7!

I think the lyrics of Searchin' for a Rainbow fit Dean's bar dream pretty well. A man who has wandered his whole life just wants to give up the grand quest and settle down.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, S Cook Productions said:

Not sure if this comment should go here or Spoilers...but Billie left Dean with the physical book. I hope he shows it to Sam and Cas so they can help- no more secrets between those 3, please!

I don't read spoilers, just my speculation on what I saw in the episode.  If Dean is in the real world, then yes, I'm sure he'll have to tell Sam or Cas.

16 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

O.M.G.

I absolutely did not pick up on this, but I love it. Rocky's. Not the boxer, the SQUIRREL!

ETA: Is arachnobite the same person who made the Red Hood costume for Jensen? I love her.

I immediately thought of Rocky the Squirrel! (TM - Crowley - and also made me miss the character so very much). The name of the bar is the first thing you see, and then I laughed when I saw the squirrel.

• Love 2

This episode was great and definitely my favorite of the season so far. I am officially on the Yockey train now. But I didn't notice any payoff for Michael's big plan to crush Dean's spirit. Dean was pretty content in his fake dream. I guess they can't show everything on screen - are we supposed to assume that the reason Michael was able to shove Dean into this false dream (instead of the squirming/drowning scenario) was because Dean was temporarily too crushed to resist?

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Wateroflife said:

But I didn't notice any payoff for Michael's big plan to crush Dean's spirit. Dean was pretty content in his fake dream. I guess they can't show everything on screen - are we supposed to assume that the reason Michael was able to shove Dean into this false dream (instead of the squirming/drowning scenario) was because Dean was temporarily too crushed to resist?

I think so. I don't think Dean would ever go or stay willingly otherwise when he knew a bunch of innocent people were in danger... that's just not Dean. I would think Dean would have had to be temporarily crushed emotionally in order for Michael to get Dean in there and not questioning what the hell happened... I'll have to watch again, but maybe the "timeline" holds a clue. Was it even a time that could have existed? One where we had Sam and Castiel working together and Pamela still alive could only happen if Dean's psyche was scrambled. Dean did mention something that referred to a time period... I'll have to watch and see if I can find any clues.

And I agree with those above who thought that random "My offer is generous" lady was some kind of trap and that if Dean had signed, bad things would have happened in terms of Dean signing away much more than the dreamworld bar.

I am also curious about the malleability of Death's library books of fate. Dean used to have many that encompassed his every possible fate. I guess as his circumstances change some books could be eliminated because that cause of death no longer exists (e.g. death by Azazel can't happen now), but new books couldn't be added because all the possible options were already there, right? 

So the only thing that changed that was the unnatural blending of two universes, screwing up the natural order. That re-wrote his books, leaving Dean with only 2 possible fates. Since Dean now knows them both, it is unlikely either will come to fruition (kills the narrative tension unless the show actually does end this season).

So spec only (no spoilers) - does that mean for Dean to get any new fate options, more connections to other universes will be needed? Is the show going to pull more AU craziness? Or since the natural order is already screwed up will his books keep changing on their own?

Edited by Wateroflife
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I think it worked when you go back to her being the one at Ash's bar in Heaven in DSOTM as well.

Maybe it's his fascination with all things cowboy?

I appreciated that they brought back Pamela. In DSOTM she was pushing for dean to say yes so I thought it was a nice call back that when he did say yes that she was there and I just love those two together 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ILoveReading said:

've seen speculation that the book Billie gave Dean was blank, that Dean who is the epitome of free will has to find a way to write his own ending suggesting that the future isn't set in stone.

I like that idea a lot.

• Love 2

I've seen speculation that the book Billie gave Dean was blank, that Dean who is the epitome of free will has to find a way to write his own ending suggesting that the future isn't set in stone.

Taken to spoilers

• Love 1

I've seen speculation that the book Billie gave Dean was blank, that Dean who is the epitome of free will has to find a way to write his own ending suggesting that the future isn't set in stone.

I read this and my automatic thought is that Dean really is immortal, at least in the sense of lasting death. 

I really enjoyed this one. They were very true to Dean's character, Jensen delivered a great performance and Pamela was back and her arms look amazing. I thought of Infinity War with the "there's only one way you aren't killed by this one villain" thing. I thought it was weird they thought Dean was in his darkest moments. I expected the revelation to come from making the connection with what Gadreel had pulled with Sam with a simple distraction. 

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, bettername2come said:

I thought it was weird they thought Dean was in his darkest moments. I expected the revelation to come from making the connection with what Gadreel had pulled with Sam with a simple distraction.

The explanation I came up with is that I think it was Michael's claim that Dean was broken that first confused Sam and Castiel until Sam figured it out. I think, too, the situations and angels' attitudes were different.

Gadreel put Sam in the kind of dreamworld he did, because he was just tricking him, and Sam didn't know he was even possessed, so just making his dreamworld look like a regular case was the most logical strategy. Sam and Cas didn't have that assurance with Michael ...especially since Michael seemed to like playing with people and getting revenge. Also Michael didn't have to go the sneaky route necessarily, because Dean already knew that he was going to be possessed, so Michael's taunt of "broken" could potentially have induced ideas of bad memories and/or torture for most people... but as Sam figured, if Dean had been in a tense situation, his mind would've ramped up and he would have been on alert and figured it out (similar to how seeing the girl in trouble in "What Is..." triggered Dean's brain to question what was going on), likely fighting back again, so that wouldn't be a way to keep Dean down for long.

That's what I thought of anyway. If not for seeing some spoilers, I would have expected it to be like a big nothing - like solitary confinement - or maybe a big nothing where Dean could only see footage - either real or faked - of everyone getting killed and the world slowly being destroyed while he sat there not being able to do anything but watch. But then again... I should have figured out - like Sam did - that that would just make Dean angry in the end (at least the seeing the world being destroyed scenario) and make him fight harder.

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 2

my only complaint is that this ep, shows how much stronger the entire season could have been if they had balanced out the stories they wanted to tell.

I really liked Sam figuring out the clue of Dean's positive memories being the way to find his brother.  It also could be the reason that Dean can maintain the ability to keep Michael caged for a few eps?  I know Michael will get out, no spoilers, but if Dean's good memories could be the motivation for him to write his own story of keeping Michael locked down, would that also explain Michael's desire to trap the one guy that dear old dad really liked?  Not sure if this is making any sense since I'm so exhausted right now. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ILoveReading said:

I would love that!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ILoveReading said:

That would actually make sense, and therefore isn't going to happen.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, ILoveReading said:

I like that because it's the only outcome which could account for Dean's reaction. That or it being written that he can never die, that he's immortal now. Because this is Dean we're talking about - if it's a choice between losing to Michael and destroying the world, or dying in a fashion which keeps that from happening, then Dean would happily sacrifice himself. That wouldn't shock him - at least, not under the direction of a better showrunner, and especially seeing as he's died a gazillion times before. So let's hope Yockey had something in mind like this and set in motion that outcome which the other writers would have to adhere to.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

So it seems they really were saying that Dean gets off on trauma, rather than being a survivor or that it was devestating to him.

This is Dabb's assistant. 

I don`t think that was Yockey`s intention. But going by her twitter, she sounds like she should be watching Sponge Bob.  

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

I don`t think that was Yockey`s intention. But going by her twitter, she sounds like she should be watching Sponge Bob.  

I don't either, but that assistant is the worst. Talk about Dabb's mouthpiece.

• Love 5

So I spotted another fun little detail in the bar scenes, along with the squirrel and the license plate, that I don't think anyone has mentioned.

The heart carved into the bar reads "Daphne loves Fred".  :)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, enaiowen said:

So I spotted another fun little detail in the bar scenes, along with the squirrel and the license plate, that I don't think anyone has mentioned.

The heart carved into the bar reads "Daphne loves Fred".  :)

Heheh. I did catch that one.

SnapShot(17).jpg

• Love 1

I gotta say... I loved this episode! It felt like the old days and I actually cared what happened and was interested. It even seemed short which is always a good sign of when you're really digging the episode! I was really disappointed with the mid-season finale so this really helped revitalize my interest in our aging show. Jensen did a good job and DID make it seem like a different character. Jared and Misha always get to play other roles so it was nice to see Jensen get to be someone different. For years, I always thought it was because he couldn't do other characters due to his limited acting ability but he proved he's a decent actor imo. As a male (which is a bad word these days) and won't rabidly defend J & J every chance I can like some of y'all here. You have to agree that they have alot of pull with the story being the stars of the longest running CW show and should have fought harder for better story arcs, writers, showrunners etc. for the past few seasons. Seems like the boys are putting their foot down finally. It also was nice to see Jack developing into a good, well rounded character. I know alot of folks here don't like him (calling him nougat baby lol) but I really think he's been a good addition. Nice to seem him use his awesome abilities again although we have an idea of what will happen eventually. Hbut for now, he brings back a good, innocent side to the angels which Castel used to carry solo. I still miss Crowley and some of our female leads though. I would have rather seen Jo than Pamela. Would have made more sense too. About Crowley... He was the only intelligent bad guy who knew Sam and Dean would always win in the end. You would think Michael would figure this out being in Dean's head but I guess power can blind rationale. Oh and Billie is cooler now than I remembered now. At least she seems more rational and less revenge driven now. I really thought it was a bad idea killing off Death to begin with. Julian was such a great actor in that role. He was more mysterious and powerful than Billie and brought such a chilling feeling about how you can't cheat death even the Winchesters. All and all, it was good episode and reminded me of why I still watch the show after 14 years. 

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, sino8r said:

I gotta say... I loved this episode! It felt like the old days and I actually cared what happened and was interested. It even seemed short which is always a good sign of when you're really digging the episode! I was really disappointed with the mid-season finale so this really helped revitalize my interest in our aging show. Jensen did a good job and DID make it seem like a different character. Jared and Misha always get to play other roles so it was nice to see Jensen get to be someone different. For years, I always thought it was because he couldn't do other characters due to his limited acting ability but he proved he's a decent actor imo. As a male (which is a bad word these days) and won't rabidly defend J & J every chance I can like some of y'all here. You have to agree that they have alot of pull with the story being the stars of the longest running CW show and should have fought harder for better story arcs, writers, showrunners etc. for the past few seasons. Seems like the boys are putting their foot down finally.

Curse this female brain of mine!

• Love 8

Loved the episode for all the reasons stated already. So instead of repeating, I’m gonna go the other way and point out the two things about it that bothered me (besides the ridiculousness of Maggie being the leader that’s already been mentioned).

1) So, they get Michael in angel-cuffs. Why on earth wouldn’t they drain him of his grace to make him less of a threat? Plus they have a depowered nephil who could probably get his powers back and stop risking his soul if he slurped up said archangel grace. They didn’t even try or consider it!

2) The trauma/happiness debate regarding where best to lock up Dean. I disagree with the conclusion the show came to. For me, it’s not about where does Dean thrive or whatever. It’s about what would make Dean suspicious or not. While a messed up dream where Dean or his loved ones are being tortured/killed/endangered would make Dean fight, as Sam indicated, he would at least believe it was reality. He would fight the figments, but not Michael.

But a contented dream, where Dean gets to settle down, shoot the shit with a friend, and easily takes out a couple vamps should have made Dean suspicious because he would question getting to have nice things, an easy life. Questioning the dream would cause him to fight the belief that this was reality, which would be fighting against Michael.

Edited by takalotti
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, takalotti said:

1) So, they get Michael in angel-cuffs. Why on earth wouldn’t they drain him of his grace to make him less of a threat? Plus they have a depowered nephil who could probably get his powers back and stop risking his soul if he slurped up said archangel grace. They didn’t even try or consider it!

There is probably some question about what taking the grace might do to Dean.

As to the dream state - I guess it would depend on what other memories Michael was able to plant that might make it seem like he'd had the bar for years, that there wasn't a need for him to be on every hunt, etc.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

There is probably some question about what taking the grace might do to Dean.

But there wasn’t that question. That’s my issue.

TFW2.0 a: Shouldn’t we take out his grace?

TFW2.0 b: Hang on. We don’t know what that would do to Dean. Let’s just take a second while we have it and think.

• Love 2

Upon further review, I think the reason Michael put Dean in a bar is that Dean had been talking about retiring from hunting just before Michael possessed him. Yes he talked about toes in the sand but I think Dean would have pinged on that being totally weird. Perhaps Dean had been thinking of owning a bar for a long time but didn't tell anyone and Michael knew this.  It's known that Dean did like to go and have a beer and chat with barkeepers, like Donnie in s10. So now, Dean could believe he was retired but Sam and Cas still hunted and would come back home. And Dean would deal with threats if they came this way, but he was no longer seeking the fight anymore.  IMO, it was a smart plan by Michael.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, takalotti said:

While a messed up dream where Dean or his loved ones are being tortured/killed/endangered would make Dean fight, as Sam indicated, he would at least believe it was reality. He would fight the figments, but not Michael.

7 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

IMO, it was a smart plan by Michael.

I think so too catrox. I don't see Michael making such a clear-cut distinction between Dean fighting the dream and fighting him. Michael didn't want Dean to start "squirming around" again -- in other words, he didn't want to arouse his fighting spirit.  Putting Dean in one of his bad memories would arouse that spirit -- Dean being Dean, it could cause him to fight back, to try to endure, try to overcome, try to escape. He would, in effect, be fighting Michael, whether he knew it or not at first.

Creating a scenario of contentment for Dean was Michael's attempt to distract him, to keep him quiet. And it was working, too, although I think Dean's mention of a feeling of deja vu was a sign that his mind was still fighting to get free, and he might have eventually realized what was happening, just as he did with the djinn. In any case, I don't think it ever entered Michael's mind to worry that even if he were aware, Dean might have the strength to successfully trap him the way he did. Michael was much too arrogant to realize that he had a tiger by the tail.

• Love 11
19 hours ago, devlin said:

Curse this female brain of mine!

17 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Please. It's rabid female brain.

Lol! No one said anything about your female brains. My only point was that some of the fangirls of Supernatural over the years overlook some shortcomings of J & J because of their looks. Guys all do the same thing. We're only human. Plus, I feel that they've had more influence on the writing over the past few seasons than we all want to admit. That being said, I'm looking forward to the rest of the season after such a stellar episode! 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, sino8r said:

For years, I always thought it was because he couldn't do other characters due to his limited acting ability but he proved he's a decent actor imo.

I was going to ignore but for an actor to be able to comedy and dramatic, they have to have skills. Jensen is over the top because after yellow fever they keep pushing him to go over the top.  Only a few directors are really strong.  It's also why they keep giving him major emotional scenes.  I have actors that can do comedy or drama but few can do both really well.

In fact, it was Jensen's acting ability that drew me to a show that is against the genre that I watch.  I hate horror.   Jared has grown in spades.  Maybe you meant to be funny?

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, 7kstar said:

I was going to ignore but for an actor to be able to comedy and dramatic, they have to have skills. Jensen is over the top because after yellow fever they keep pushing him to go over the top.  Only a few directors are really strong.  It's also why they keep giving him major emotional scenes.  I have actors that can do comedy or drama but few can do both really well.

In fact, it was Jensen's acting ability that drew me to a show that is against the genre that I watch.  I hate horror.   Jared has grown in spades.  Maybe you meant to be funny?

No, I was serious. Let's be honest here. No one on Supernatural is ever going to win an Emmy or anything. They are soap stars after all. I remember Jensen doing a decent job on Smallville but he's not going to be a star outside of this show after. I had always thought Jared was the better of the two in terms of ability but again honestly... Jensen has never really had the opportunity to act outside his character for long unlike Jared and Misha. And we all know Misha can't act that well outside of Castel. The only great recurring guest star on this show was Mark Shepherd. Jensen does a good on the show. Whether he does anything after the show ends might be due to typecasting or something else. Again, I'm a big fan of the show and have watched it since season 1. No offense meant to anyone. 

So, when exactly did Michael change from Dean's clothes into a three-piece-suit? Was it the finger snap? Was that what he meant when he said that's what his army of monsters were waiting for? A fashion statement?

(I probably missed something given my attention span for SPN these days.)

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, juppschmitz said:

So, when exactly did Michael change from Dean's clothes into a three-piece-suit? Was it the finger snap? Was that what he meant when he said that's what his army of monsters were waiting for? A fashion statement?

(I probably missed something given my attention span for SPN these days.)

Yes he changed clothes with the finger snap but that also signaled the Attack. That’s why we heard the ambulances and fire trucks in the background. 

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, sino8r said:

No one on Supernatural is ever going to win an Emmy or anything. They are soap stars after all. I remember Jensen doing a decent job on Smallville but he's not going to be a star outside of this show after. I had always thought Jared was the better of the two in terms of ability but again honestly... Jensen has never really had the opportunity to act outside his character for long unlike Jared and Misha. And we all know Misha can't act that well outside of Castel. The only great recurring guest star on this show was Mark Shepherd. Jensen does a good on the show. Whether he does anything after the show ends might be due to typecasting or something else. Again, I'm a big fan of the show and have watched it since season 1. No offense meant to anyone. 

Responding in the Dean thread, since we don't have a Jensen thread.

25 minutes ago, sino8r said:

No, I was serious. Let's be honest here. No one on Supernatural is ever going to win an Emmy or anything. They are soap stars after all. I remember Jensen doing a decent job on Smallville but he's not going to be a star outside of this show after. I had always thought Jared was the better of the two in terms of ability but again honestly... Jensen has never really had the opportunity to act outside his character for long unlike Jared and Misha. And we all know Misha can't act that well outside of Castel. The only great recurring guest star on this show was Mark Shepherd. Jensen does a good on the show. Whether he does anything after the show ends might be due to typecasting or something else. Again, I'm a big fan of the show and have watched it since season 1. No offense meant to anyone. 

Replying in Dean thread to be safe.

Edited by DeeDee79