Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E10: Nihilism

• Start Topic

Not gonna lie. My favorite episode in a long while. And my favourite cameo in all the return characters. Pamela!!!

Actual references to actual canon. And somebody remembered Dean went to Hell!

And holy moly, that ending!!! Kudos to  Steve Yockey.

Not even gonna nitpick the pathetic AU hunters, or Jack's random powers. I loved it.

Poughkeepsie!

• Love 21

Wow, it's been a long time since I was watching an episode of the show and was sad to see how fast the minutes were passing, instead of having them drag by. I always knew that Jensen would be awesome as Michael, if the show just gave the character a chance!

And Dean was awesome too! "I'm the Cage" -- loved it!

• Love 16
1 minute ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Not gonna lie. My favorite episode in a long while. And my favourite cameo in all the return characters. Pamela!!!

Actual references to actual canon. And somebody remembered Dean went to Hell!

And holy moly, that ending!!! Kudos to  Steve Yockey.

Not even gonna nitpick the pathetic AU hunters, or Jack's random powers. I loved it.

Poughkeepsie!

But otherwise YES! to all of this.

• Love 6

See, I actually love it when the brothers save each other, when it's done organically and with respect. I didn't need Dean to be able to kick archangel ass - I just needed him to be part of the fight. And boy, was he. I loved that Sam finally got through to him with Poughkeepsie. Perfect.

• Love 15
Just now, Bergamot said:

Wow, it's been a long time since I was watching an episode of the show and was sad to see how fast the minutes were passing, instead of having them drag by. I always knew that Jensen would be awesome as Michael, if the show just gave the character a chance!

Jensen owned this one.

Not gonna lie-I LOVED! Michael!Dean in this one. He owned this episode every bit as much as OurDean.

Such a great episode for Jensen.

Thank you, Steve Yockey.

• Love 16
5 minutes ago, Bergamot said:

Best part of a great episode.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

I just hope that the book Billie gave him at the end has to do with his own death.

I'm thinking the only other possibility is that they have to have Apocalypse 2.0, or whatever with Dean/Michael and Sam/Lucifer.  Not gonna lie.  Not really looking forward to that. But, it would definitely fit that expression. And would make sense, because there's no way he's going tocontain Michael and even if he could for a while, it would end at his death, anyway, and then Michael would burn up the world.

I loved this episode. I especially loved the teaser.  It was just so much fun.  And random bar buying woman.  And Dean with his super vamp killing skills.

I also loved when the monsters burst into the empty room and wondered where everyone went. 

Awesome episode all around, IMO.

Just a quick question.  Was Tiger possessed by an angel or did an angel souped up monster turn him into a souped up monster?  Because I have plot hole problems if it's the former.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Just a quick question.  Was Tiger possessed by an angel or did an angel souped up monster turn him into a souped up monster?  Because I have plot hole problems if it's the former.

The latter. He got bit (or whatever they do) by the angelpires when he went off into the woods.

I think that's what they were implying the monster army was doing in KC - not killing everyone, but turning them.

3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I'm thinking the only other possibility is that they have to have Apocalypse 2.0, or whatever with Dean/Michael and Sam/Lucifer.  Not gonna lie.  Not really looking forward to that. But, it would definitely fit that expression. And would make sense, because there's no way he's going tocontain Michael and even if he could for a while, it would end at his death, anyway, and then Michael would burn up the world.

This is what I thought, too. And it would give Sam his terrible choice, too (or whatever words they used about that).

• Love 5
1 minute ago, gonzosgirrl said:

The latter. He got bit (or whatever they do) by the angelpires when he went off into the woods.

I think that's what they were implying the monster army was doing in KC - not killing everyone, but turning them.

Thanks.  It was really bugging me while I was watching.  Mainly because Tiger referred to himself in the third person, which seems weird.  Monster Tiger is still Tiger.  And I couldn't understand where an angel came from, since they're down to like 3, why Tiger would give him permission, and why an angel would even bother since the bunker isn't warded against them.  But, then I was thinking he was probably just a monster, but wanted confirmation from someone else.

• Love 2

That was an awesome episode, great way to start the second half of the season! I like to think that I am an easy person to please. Give me Sam and Dean kicking ass and saving each other, with Cas being an awesome friend on the side, some cool monsters, and a few funny lines, and I am a pretty happy viewer. 

Poughkeepsie! And Pamela! I missed Pamela! 

The AU hunters were pretty pointless, but they had limited screen time, so they were fine. We got back to the characters I actually give a crap about pretty quickly, so I refuse to leave my good episode happy vibes to be annoyed with them!

We get possessed Dean AND real Dean? Oh yeah!

• Love 17
Just now, gonzosgirrl said:

I'm a little surprised they are just letting Dean be free. If they were smart he'd be in the angel cuffs forever.

I think you answered your own surprise.  When are they ever smart?  I love them, but they don't always make the best choices.

• Love 7

BTW, I think someone complained last week that instead of Dean just killing Michael, he made a snarky remark first, allowing Michael to break the spear.  Michael apparently picked up that habit, because if he had just snapped his fingers instead of  taunting everyone, they'd be dead and he's be burning the world down.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Lemuria said:

Loved it!  It was like watching an ep from the old days.  JA was great and I loved the surprise visit from Pam.

They were great together when Cas and Sam were trying to convince them of the idea that this was all in Dean's head. 

So funny.

Same with the lady who wanted to buy the bar.

Edited by Myrelle
  • Love 4

How great seeing Pamela again.  I loved her. 

Michael is a scallywag.  He can kill with a mere thought, but he toys with them because he enjoys it...and it traps him. Can you imagine his fury?

So now we have a furious Michael held back by a mental screwdriver and Dean with a book that tells his one death.

It’s soooo scrumptious.  I wish we could lock Dabb away because he’s sure to spoil everything 

Edited by Pondlass1
  • Love 20

I knew watching it that pretty much everyone would be happy with this one. In fact, I said aloud, “let me run to the forum. The gals are gonna be happy tonight.” Yay! :)

Actually I’ve enjoyed quite a few this season, but I will relish this one with you because it was full of goodness. :)

• Love 7
Just now, Katy M said:

I forgot to mention something else I loved.  MIchael's impression of Castiel saying that he gripped Dean tight and pulled him from perdition.  That was so spot on.

IKR?!

So. Good.

• Love 6

His ability to get under everyone's skin with just his words was better than even early season Azazel's,

Just now, gonzosgirrl said:

It was a good one. I'm more convinced than ever that they are writing to Dean's demise.

They should be.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I forgot to mention something else I loved.  MIchael's impression of Castiel saying that he gripped Dean tight and pulled him from perdition.  That was so spot on.

That was so spot on, AND it reminded me of one of my favorite scenes in the whole series. Castiels into where he talks to Dean and his wings appear in shadow in such an amazing sequence, it has never gotten old to me. Even when I was totally over angels and their heavenly drama, that scene was so otherworldly and epic. 

I could watch Michael in Deans body just talk shit to everyone all day long. I know that saying Jensen is amazing is pointless, as its something we all know, but good Chuck, that guy has got skills. One of Deans best traits is his warmth to people, even just random people he meets, while when he plays Michael, he just drips utter disdain for everyone he comes into contact with. And having both Michael and Dean in the same episode just highlights those skills. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 22
39 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I'm a little surprised they are just letting Dean be free. If they were smart he'd be in the angel cuffs forever.

Sam has faith in Dean. If Dean says he has Michael trapped, Sam will believe him.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Another archangel with Daddy issues. But dang, Michael's disdain for Chuck was seething. 

Yep, that's exactly what I thought. During his little speech I was like "So... Lucifer 2.0 then?"

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I could watch Michael in Deans body just talk shit to everyone all day long. I know that saying Jensen is amazing is pointless, as its something we all know, but good Chuck, that guy has got skills. One of Deans best traits is his warmth to people, in just random people he meets, while when he plays Michael, he just drips utter disdain for everyone he comes into contact with. And having both Michael and Dean in the same episode just highlights those skills. 

I was so hoping we'd get this out of this one.

I love that Dean's "strength" was highlighted by Yockey.

I love that the sad truth of his "thriving" on trauma was also brought to light in numerous ways.

And that he's a hard drinker who demands limes with his tequila shots.

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I love, love, loved the expression on Michael's face when he asked Dean 'is that really what you want?'

That was Fanfuckingtastic-as was Dean's "Yes."

That scene alone reinforced the title beautifully.

And Dean's face as all the memories returned=Beautiful, also.

Edited by Myrelle
  • Love 6

Well that was great! 

I loved seeing Pamela and Billie again. 

I think what Micheal was saying to Dean was a little too close for comfort but there were some brutal truths there. The boys have had people/creatures/things tell them those truths and they always deny them. 

Im worried now about what Dean saw in that book. 

We can only hope that that particular ending is way, way in the future. 😳

• Love 4

Loved it,  loved it!  (And b.t.dubs.  Also loved the shout-outs to FBBC.  :D )

The book Billie gave Dean has to be the 1 out of 14 million and 6 versions (sorry, my Avengers is showing) of his deaths that will let him beat Michael for good.  Cause, all in all, I think Billie likes the boys just fine, she's just offended that they upset the "natural order of things" with all the Game of Nine Lives they play.  

All in all lots of Michael!Dean and Our!Dean and it was wonderful!  Going to go squee in private now.  Ha Ha

Quick speculations:

Welding? Making a cage that isn't inside Dean?

Is Maggie going to be the new chief?

How much of his soul did Jack burn off?

Is Michael channeling Lucifer with his Chuck hate?

Edited by Cambion
cause I can't spell when I'm squeeing.
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I could watch Michael in Deans body just talk shit to everyone all day long.

Same. It was actually one of those things where I stopped and looked at my wife and went "Damn Jenson is owning it as Michael! I have been waiting all season for this!!"

• Love 12

Steve Yockey has cemented his status as the best writer on staff for Dean. Wow. He is still firmly at the center of the mytharc, and this locking of Michael in his mind was pretty much the ideal way to achieve that while still giving us MOTWs as well. Dean also got to be the awesome badass we all know him to be! 

Jensen, you're fabulous. It's a goddamn crime that it took these dunderheaded writers 14 years to give you a role like this while simultaneously cramming endless alternate versions of Sam and Cas down our throats. Your acting singlehandedly justifies this show's absurdly long run.

Loved the callback to Billie and Advanced Thanatology and one of my favorite themes of the show: Dean consistently getting special treatment and consideration from omnipotent cosmic beings who should regard him as an insignificant bacterium but are somehow helpless to resist him. And rather than being flattered, Dean acts as belligerent and unimpressed as ever.

Just as I was prepared to settle back into season 12 levels of ennui upon spoilers of Dean as himself by 14.11, they pull me back in full-force. All it takes is one episode like this, and I'm 100% at this damn show's mercy again. It's got its claws in me deep, I tell ya! 

The bitter spec that Dean was going to be booted out of his own story has still not come to pass (yet). Gotta admit, I'm impressed. Steve Yockey, could you please take over as showrunner? I have money...

Edited by BabySpinach
  • Love 22
2 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

Michael's is deeper, IMO and tbh, I can almost understand it somewhat.

Yes, I think Michael has gone from the Daddy issues of Lucifer - who could still be appeased somewhat by talking with Chuck - to the the nihilism of the episode title. I don't think even Chuck himself could convince Michael now that he shouldn't destroy everything.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Myrelle said:

Michael's is deeper, IMO and tbh, I can almost understand it somewhat.

Yeah, definitely.  Micheal's seems to be more of a deep hurt and disappointment over Chuck's cavalier attitude and actions, while Lucifer's is really all whiney little narcissistic bitch.  

(Figures though, since this show is all about family strength and love, smiting evil and daddy issues.  :P)

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Cambion said:

Yeah, definitely.  Micheal's seems to be more of a deep hurt and disappointment over Chuck's cavalier attitude and actions, while Lucifer's is really all whiney little narcissistic bitch. 

Yes, good point.

Lucifer's issues are all about him him him, whereas while Michael has a little of that, he mostly seems to be indignant concerning Chuck's apparent indifference and he apparently plans to make Chuck pay for that.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

I don't think even Chuck himself could convince Michael now that he shouldn't destroy everyt

Yeah, Chuck sucks at parenting even worse than John and Mary.  I even think that OGMichael would join AU!Michael in the hunt.

• Love 4

This is the episode I've been waiting for since 13x23. It's too bad it took 1/2 a season to get here, but I'm glad we got it. 

Jack randomly being able to use his powers was a little convenient,  but I enjoyed it enough to not care. 

I laughed at Michael's 'I can still hear you.'

• Love 12

Last two minutes when he is talking with Billie are a Master Class. He's just finished convincing himself that they got the win, and then she cuts the legs right out from under him. And you can see every iota of his shock and fear right there on his face.

• Love 10