Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E13: The Confirmation Polarization

9 minutes ago, trudysmom said:

When I saw him I yelled "Hey, It's Bob!"  Love Sean Astin. 

So glad I'm not the only one tired of Bernadette.  I kept thinking back to those episodes when Penny actually stood up to her and Amy, the one where she had them rewrite her college paper to get her a B-, then said next time let's go for an A.  That scene was strong Penny, not rolling over for Bernadette.  I get that Bernie is in a position to make her job hard for her, but still, Penny let her steamroll her.  I hope she knocks the project out of the park. 

So, you don't like it when Bernadette is an overbearing bully, but you do like Penny that way?  And as a cheater?

• Love 2

I don't like when either of them are being bullies.  I meant that Penny has stood up to Bernadette in the past, and while I can see why she didn't this time, since it's her job and not her personal life, I don't like it.  It was a reference to a specific scenario that played Penny in a certain way, but later an entirely different way.  It's not the first time Penny has been intimidated by Bernadette, so it wasn't a surprise.  

And no, the cheating is not what I liked about the episode.  Penny managed to shut Leonard up, which by that point was what she wanted, and she was feeling smug.  That, I liked.  

• Love 2

Penny's character is really becoming..........tiresome.  

Penny is the only character who is doing a job she didn't really work towards in the first place, it's just the job that was convenient for her when she needed it. And she's still stuck there. Penny may be a top sales rep, but what's the point if you don't really care about what you're selling? It's like they sucked her spirit out. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

Penny may be a top sales rep, but what's the point if you don't really care about what you're selling? It's like they sucked her spirit out. 

This episode aside I don't see that with Penny.  What I do see is at least a tiny slice of realism though.  After all a good many people end up doing jobs they hate or certainly only tolerate because it pays the bills.  If we're really lucky it's a job we're good at and it brings in a healthy paycheque.  I see Penny as the writers way of acknowledging that.  I do wish in some ways things could be different for her, I like Penny and I hope their end game for her is something really good.

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

This episode aside I don't see that with Penny.  What I do see is at least a tiny slice of realism though.  After all a good many people end up doing jobs they hate or certainly only tolerate because it pays the bills.  If we're really lucky it's a job we're good at and it brings in a healthy paycheque.  I see Penny as the writers way of acknowledging that.  I do wish in some ways things could be different for her, I like Penny and I hope their end game for her is something really good.

I also see it as a slice of realism.  I've always been against the predictable ending of her finally making it big in Hollywood as an actress.  The odds are so stacked against that happening, I just don't want to see it.  And most likely if it was going to happen for her, it would have happened already.  Besides, even though it isn't the job she worked for, she doesn't seem to hate it, and it uses a lot of her natural talents.  I don't really have any idea what they can do with her and Leonard at the end, other than maybe give them a baby, but that is pretty bleh.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I've always been against the predictable ending of her finally making it big in Hollywood as an actress.  The odds are so stacked against that happening, I just don't want to see it. 

I'm with you on this.  One thing I've always liked is in a world where Howard Wolowitz could become an astronaut at least they chose not to turn Penny into a Famous Actress.  The odds against that were so high and I have always appreciated that they didn't go there.  At this point allowing her to have even some modest success in the acting field seems unlikely so unless they do go with her getting some major break I can't see that happening.  Hopefully!  What I'd really like to see is her either embracing the job she's doing and ending up a VP or something or else have her and Leonard move to Europe so he can work at the Cern supercollider (or whatever it's called) and she can do an episode of Househunters and talk about how she sacrificed her career to follow her man!  Well maybe not that.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 12
6 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

I'm with you on this.  One thing I've always liked is in a world where Howard Wolowitz could become an astronaut at least they chose not to turn Penny into a Famous Actress.  The odds against that were so high and I have always appreciated that they didn't go there. 

I'd give you 100 likes if I could  :)

• Love 5
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:07 PM, kariyaki said:

Dr. Samwise? Pfft, Dr. Goonies!

GOONIES NEVER SAY DIE!! Fight Samwise- FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT TO A NOBEL.

JK- I want it to go to Sheldore

• Love 2
17 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

I'm with you on this.  One thing I've always liked is in a world where Howard Wolowitz could become an astronaut at least they chose not to turn Penny into a Famous Actress.  The odds against that were so high and I have always appreciated that they didn't go there.  At this point allowing her to have even some modest success in the acting field seems unlikely so unless they do go with her getting some major break I can't see that happening.  Hopefully!  What I'd really like to see is her either embracing the job she's doing and ending up a VP or something or else have her and Leonard move to Europe so he can work at the Cern supercollider (or whatever it's called) and she can do an episode of Househunters and talk about how she sacrificed her career to follow her man!  Well maybe not that.

I like a lot of your idea for her end game, I fear however she's going to change her mind on children thanks to this Zack/Marissa/Leonard story.  That will become her end game.

17 hours ago, rmontro said:

Besides, even though it isn't the job she worked for, she doesn't seem to hate it, and it uses a lot of her natural talents.

She has said in more than one episode that she didn't like her sales job, but I don't recall any reasons that would carry over to a managerial position.

• Love 1

I have a confession to make...a very sad one.

I couldn't bring myself to watch this episode.

And worse? I have no intentions of doing so in the future.

Geeze...heartbreakingly sad for a TBBT super-fan. 

• Love 1

I did not even smirk once and I used to like this show

I am just watching this series for completeness sake since they promised this would be the final season :D

Worst, they just had to shoe in a reference to ST:D.  And yes, I am aware this was most likely a corporate narrative

• Love 3
On 1/18/2019 at 12:58 PM, PinkRibbons said:

Mayim has such a way about her that she can take what is usually a farcical show and suddenly make it feel very real. I felt like I was watching a different show when she told Sheldon to drop her, especially because she made some really stupid material sound genuine. I really hope she gets a lot of work after this show is over.

This scene actually made me cry. Sheldon and Amy have such an odd relationship, but they love each other so it really works.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

This scene actually made me cry. Sheldon and Amy have such an odd relationship, but they love each other so it really works.

One of the most interesting and unique relationships out there on TV.  It's been fun to watch that relationship develop and grow.

• Love 5
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 5:46 PM, CherryAmes said:

I do wish in some ways things could be different for her, I like Penny and I hope their end game for her is something really good.

I've been hoping for good things for her too.  Maybe this new project with Bernadette will boost her confidence and show her what a smart young woman she is.  She was hesitant about it because she said she lacked the higher education that some of her peers have.  If TPTB keep Penny in her current job situation, maybe working with Bernadette will open other doors for her that will make her happier than what she's currently doing.   It would be funny if some day she ended up being the boss of Bernadette!  

• Love 1
On 1/19/2019 at 7:08 PM, chocolatine said:

I think Kunal is handling it in the best possible way, treating it like a joke while still drawing attention to the fact that not every Indian/Pakistani male character on TV is played by the same person.

Unless that Indian/Pakistani male character is of a certain age, and then you cast Brian George (including this show).  I'm sure there are other older Indian/Pakistani actors in America, but he has literally played every Indian father and grandfather I've seen on American TV in the last 10+ years.

• Love 7

it seems like the show never quite knows what to do with Penny when it's her turn to be one of the up front characters.  I love it when she and Leonard do their Stadler and Waldorf snark as background characters, but I realize they can't be limited to those support roles.  I guess we're stuck with her as the management tigress since it's the last season.  Sigh.  I was hoping she'd stand up to Bernadette for ethical reasons, since the new drug sounded like it might kill or at least harm somebody.  I'd rather have seen her get recruited by, perhaps, a large medical group in a spokesperson/PR position, where she'd get to use her acting skills a bit but still be corporate.

On January 23, 2019 at 9:06 PM, Nessie said:

Unless that Indian/Pakistani male character is of a certain age, and then you cast Brian George (including this show).  I'm sure there are other older Indian/Pakistani actors in America, but he has literally played every Indian father and grandfather I've seen on American TV in the last 10+ years.

Erick Avari played the Stargate father-in-law and the Heroes father, along with many similar roles.

6 minutes ago, axlmadonna said:

I know, I was joking. Dr. Kutner makes more sense, since he was an actual doctor on House.

Samwise Gamgee wasn't a doctor either. I picked the names of the roles each actor is most famous for.

Edited by chocolatine
On 1/17/2019 at 8:43 PM, shapeshifter said:

Definitely a set-up episode for what is essentially the last act.
Hmmm.
Is there a Chekhov's Gun somewhere about to go off? 

I really appreciate Sheldon sticking up for Amy even while Amy is willing to sacrifice for him 
The Gift of the Magi.
Steal from the best, 'cause there's "nothing new under the sun" (Solomon).

Heh. So I wasn't the only one who saw O. Henry's story in this episode. 

On 1/18/2019 at 12:58 PM, proserpina65 said:

But they're famous guys of Indian ethnicity, so a lot of people have apparently confused the two.

That's like confusing Dennis Haysbert with Samuel L. Jackson... 

6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Yeah, well, people are not always too bright, apparently.

In some of our's defense, it's not necessarily a matter of "brightness". Especially when it involves an actor you aren't very familiar with. Heck, I'm a light haired white woman, but if I'm watching something with more than one light haired white woman, I tend to have problems keeping them straight.

So, Kal, Samuel, et al, I hope you can give us the benefit of the doubt.

(Feel free to see my comments on the snl thread re: Robert de niro vs John Goodman vs Steve Martin. And these are actors I've been familiar with for going on half a century.)

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

In some of our's defense, it's not necessarily a matter of "brightness". Especially when it involves an actor you aren't very familiar with. Heck, I'm a light haired white woman, but if I'm watching something with more than one light haired white woman, I tend to have problems keeping them straight.

So, Kal, Samuel, et al, I hope you can give us the benefit of the doubt.

(Feel free to see my comments on the snl thread re: Robert de niro vs John Goodman vs Steve Martin. And these are actors I've been familiar with for going on half a century.)

That is true, it can be a case of unfamiliarity rather than not-smartness.  I apologize.

• Love 2