Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E03: Week 3

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, Lemons said:

We don’t know the story but I didn’t like how she said “obviously she put the baby’s life first”.  No, not obvious.  Her sister had a child already who needed her.  I feel like she used that story to impress this apparently religious guy and it sickened me.  

That story really troubled me.  I don't understand forgoing your own treatment to have a child.  What good is that if you won't be around for them?  You're right, she probably embellished it.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

Kate?  did she just show up for today's rose ceremony?  I swear I never saw her before. 

Colton was a fool to get so upset over two women who are each telling him that the other is hostile, mean, manipulative, etc.   Then he tries to straighten it out.  "she says you're hostile."  "I'm not hostile."  "I'm so confused."   Colton, they don't like each other, they're replaying the beauty pageant fight they had, and they are more interested in "winning"  that fight than they are in you.  Cut them both, make them leave in the limo together.  

I'm betting we know who this season's 2 on 1 date winners are going to be.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Bossley said:

I'm surprised Bri got cut so soon. Maybe her accent and generous genetics will be enough to land her on Paradise. She is arguably one of the prettiest women to be eliminated this early in the game.

One exciting thing about this season is that half of the remaining contestants are women of color! I don't think that's ever happened before.

I feel like every season there’s one really, really, really attractive woman who gets no airtime and no attention from the Bachelor who goes on a couple of group dates then gets cut unceremoniously. It boggles my mind. Some of them end up on Bachelor in Paradise as psychos so maybe that’s it. But Bri seemed pretty chill and low maintenance. Which is probably why Colton cut her. As others on this board have mentioned, if he’s just looking for fame and not a real relationship then some of his choices make more sense. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, noveltylibrary said:

That story really troubled me.  I don't understand forgoing your own treatment to have a child.  What good is that if you won't be around for them?  You're right, she probably embellished it.

I will state first that I am Irish Catholic and pro-life.  Catholics do believe that if it comes down to the life of the mother, or that of the child, the mother comes first.  (I know your post didn't dispute or question this, I just felt the need to put it out there as sometimes being pro-life is treated as something one should be ashamed of).

Elyse stated that her sister's doctors told her that she should bring the baby to as full term as possible.  It sounds like she was 3 months along when the diagnosis was made.  It is unclear to me how far along Sarah's neuroendocrine cancer was (a very rare cancer apparently) and if it was already terminal from what I've been able to find.  Obviously, her treatment and pregnancy were a family decision, and one that I'm sure was not easy for them.  Sarah was a labor and delivery nurse, and there is a charity in her name that gives clothes and toys to children because she apparently did so anonymously to the children of those she helped deliver that were in need.  I think they sound like a lovely family who care about people.  I personally don't find the story troubling or sickening, nor do I get the sense she was embellishing, but who knows with the way the editing is done on this program.  I feel for the children who have to grow up without their mother, and I hope they have a lot of love in their lives.  

• Love 18

In the long run, Caitlyn will be glad her life is boring and she doesn’t have a sob story to reveal. But for the purposes of the show, she definitely should have found some little nugget that could be turned into a story. You gotta have a gimmick!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, GracieK said:

I will state first that I am Irish Catholic and pro-life.  Catholics do believe that if it comes down to the life of the mother, or that of the child, the mother comes first.  (I know your post didn't dispute or question this, I just felt the need to put it out there as sometimes being pro-life is treated as something one should be ashamed of).

Elyse stated that her sister's doctors told her that she should bring the baby to as full term as possible.  It sounds like she was 3 months along when the diagnosis was made.  It is unclear to me how far along Sarah's neuroendocrine cancer was (a very rare cancer apparently) and if it was already terminal from what I've been able to find.  Obviously, her treatment and pregnancy were a family decision, and one that I'm sure was not easy for them.  Sarah was a labor and delivery nurse, and there is a charity in her name that gives clothes and toys to children because she apparently did so anonymously to the children of those she helped deliver that were in need.  I think they sound like a lovely family who care about people.  I personally don't find the story troubling or sickening, nor do I get the sense she was embellishing, but who knows with the way the editing is done on this program.  I feel for the children who have to grow up without their mother, and I hope they have a lot of love in their lives.  

Thank you for that post, GracieK.  I hope you didn't think I meant anything derogatory when I said not all Christians are Irish Catholic, I was just trying to say that we aren't all exactly alike and that someone being Pro-life doesn't even necessarily  mean they're "religious," as has been implied.   Miss Manners once said that all abortion debates boil down to when you think life begins, and that sums it up for me.  So I'm always surprised when someone else is surprised that a mother might choose to die rather than let the fetus die.  If that fetus is as fully human to you as a four year old then no one would say, "But why did she give her life for that four year-old?  He can't raise himself!"

• Love 9

I don't think Caitlyn got sent home early because she had no deep dark secrets to expose to the world.  Her ending came when Colton asked what she wanted in a relationship, and she told him she wanted a guy who could go out with her and her friends and have some fun times.  Basically, bar-hopping.  This isn't what Colton's looking for, so she was doomed at that point.  Not to mention, she seemed unable to even carry on a conversation with him about anything.  She didn't need to vomit out some painful past memories, but she should have at least been able to talk about something interesting.

In the battle of the pageant queens, I'm glad they're keeping them for the 2-on-1 date later this season.  Dump them both, Colton!  It'll be "the most shocking date in Bachelor history!" LOL  I like Hannah B. better, because she's a bit of a nut.  Growl and hiss some more, Hannah!

I don't remember seeing Nina on the show before tonight.  She was on the group date, and she was absolutely gorgeous!  How did I miss her before?

• Love 13
11 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Thank you for that post, GracieK.  I hope you didn't think I meant anything derogatory when I said not all Christians are Irish Catholic, I was just trying to say that we aren't all exactly alike and that someone being Pro-life doesn't even necessarily  mean they're "religious," as has been implied.   Miss Manners once said that all abortion debates boil down to when you think life begins, and that sums it up for me.  So I'm always surprised when someone else is surprised that a mother might choose to die rather than let the fetus die.  If that fetus is as fully human to you as a four year old then no one would say, "But why did she give her life for that four year-old?  He can't raise himself!"

I appreciate your response in turn!  I know you didn't mean anything derogatory, and I've always enjoyed your posts on this silly franchise, but thank you for clarifying.  Your last point definitely speaks to me, and I agree that it is the crux of the debate for many.  I am not intending to offend anyone either, and understand it's a sensitive topic with a wide range of opinions and beliefs!  

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, Gregg247 said:

I don't think Caitlyn got sent home early because she had no deep dark secrets to expose to the world.  Her ending came when Colton asked what she wanted in a relationship, and she told him she wanted a guy who could go out with her and her friends and have some fun times.  Basically, bar-hopping.  This isn't what Colton's looking for, so she was doomed at that point.  Not to mention, she seemed unable to even carry on a conversation with him about anything.  She didn't need to vomit out some painful past memories, but she should have at least been able to talk about something interesting.

In the battle of the pageant queens, I'm glad they're keeping them for the 2-on-1 date later this season.  Dump them both, Colton!  It'll be "the most shocking date in Bachelor history!" LOL  I like Hannah B. better, because she's a bit of a nut.  Growl and hiss some more, Hannah!

I don't remember seeing Nina on the show before tonight.  She was on the group date, and she was absolutely gorgeous!  How did I miss her before?

I agree with your take on the Caitlyn situation!  From what we were shown, she's looking for someone at this point who just wants to hang out with her and her friends.   Also, Colton tried to get a conversation going with her by commenting "describe an intimate evening with your family", to which she rather dimly and immaturely responded "intimately, tee hee, that's not a word I use to describe my family".. :facepalm: 

• Love 16
42 minutes ago, GracieK said:

I agree with your take on the Caitlyn situation!  From what we were shown, she's looking for someone at this point who just wants to hang out with her and her friends.   Also, Colton tried to get a conversation going with her by commenting "describe an intimate evening with your family", to which she rather dimly and immaturely responded "intimately, tee hee, that's not a word I use to describe my family".. :facepalm: 

He even gave her examples. "Board games?" Latch onto it, girl. It doesn't have to be the truth. Colton's not going to fact-check if Caitlyn's family really plays Monopoly every other Saturday. It was strange to me.

• Love 12

The kids showed more personality than most of the competitors.  During the carousel portion, Colton introduces himself to one little girl who says "I saw you, I watch The Bachelor with my Mom all the time."  According to my closed captions, a nearby girl then says "My Mom won't let me."  Hmmm...as a parent, if you don't think the content of a show is appropriate for your child to watch, why would you allow your child to appear on that very show?

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Amy Beth said:

In the long run, Caitlyn will be glad her life is boring and she doesn’t have a sob story to reveal. 

I love when people are grateful to have had a good life, and don't feel the need to complain or be "woe is me", so I found that story and reaction to Colton's probing SO endearing.  It's so rare to speak to a person who's like "I've had a good life!"  It's just so humble and down to earth.  

But I think the main point here is that Colton didn't like this girl.  The situation was just framed in a way that looked so silly to me, because nobody should be rejected for being well-adjusted and happy.  He didn't like her for SOME REASON and he wanted to get rid of her.  Fine by me.  But I hate the way this show frames it as if she didn't have trauma so she must go.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

My 21 year old son watched a little of this with me and he said all the girls had too much makeup on and looked plastic! I’m still having problems remembering names and think many of the girls look alike. I didn’t understand Colton sending the girl home immediately but this has been done before by men and women.

I think if you are too shy to speak on camera, you are not a good fit for a show where you have limited time with the Bachelor and he needs to know something about you. I don’t think Colton was looking for a sob story, but if you are unable to have a conversation at all, there won’t be an interest.

• Love 3

I don't understand why the girls get so excited when their name is called for a group date.  Being picked for a group date means you aren't getting a one-on-one.  Besides, the group dates on this show are usually lame and embarassing for the most part. 

I wonder why it seemed like, in episode 1, Catherine was set up to be this season's villain, but then that honor went to Demi in episodes 2 and 3.

• Love 10
14 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

When has it ever been a good idea to have a pool party on a Bachelor show? No one relaxes. Ever.

I found it relaxing to watch Colton splash, cannonball and tip women with full hair and makeup right into the drink!

• Love 13
1 hour ago, eyelash said:

Hmmm...as a parent, if you don't think the content of a show is appropriate for your child to watch, why would you allow your child to appear on that very show?

Because: Free day at the amusement park! The parents were probably there as well since no way could Colton and his date wrangle all those kids. That segment had nothing to harm the souls of little kids so parents could show their children the part they were in, they don't have to see the entire show.

• Love 11
49 minutes ago, Dittohead said:

I don't understand why the girls get so excited when their name is called for a group date.  Being picked for a group date means you aren't getting a one-on-one.  Besides, the group dates on this show are usually lame and embarassing for the most part. 

I wonder why it seemed like, in episode 1, Catherine was set up to be this season's villain, but then that honor went to Demi in episodes 2 and 3.

From what I hear it's because they are so bored sitting in the house all day without tv, social media, any outside world.. so even a group date is probably exciting at that point. Plus, from what I see on social media , besides the selling of skinny tea and a million other products and the hope of becoming the next bach, I think a lot of the people go on the show just to get into bachelor nation and make a lot of bachelor friends.

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I love when people are grateful to have had a good life, and don't feel the need to complain or be "woe is me", so I found that story and reaction to Colton's probing SO endearing.  It's so rare to speak to a person who's like "I've had a good life!"  It's just so humble and down to earth.  

But I think the main point here is that Colton didn't like this girl.  The situation was just framed in a way that looked so silly to me, because nobody should be rejected for being well-adjusted and happy.  He didn't like her for SOME REASON and he wanted to get rid of her.  Fine by me.  But I hate the way this show frames it as if she didn't have trauma so she must go.

I agree. It's not that I couldn't come up with a conversation with the bachelor, there's plenty to ask about and talk about obviously. But this show makes it like you are an alien if you don't have a family member who's died, abused you, abandoned you, etc. It's a little ridiculous.

• Love 4

Just watching this now. It looks like it will be crazy based on the previews. Prediction: Demi goes home. I don't know how any self-respecting virgin will put up with paddleboard spanking!

• Love 3

The beauty contestant feud is so dumb. Ugh.

I really love Hannah (the non beauty queen one) and Cassie. Also Sydney, Elyse and Taysha are pretty cool. I think there are some quality women for him to get to know.

I had no feelings about Colton either way but I am surprised that I think he is doing pretty well. Other than the feud thing. At which point I would take them both aside TOGETHER and say, "you guys clearly don't like each other. I don't want to hear about it. I want to get to know both of you on my own and make my own decision." Done.

• Love 5

Demi seems really childish to me.  She is really childish - I don't think she knows what passive aggressive means.

The pirate date seems fun. If you didn't care about competing for Colton, you could just have fun being a ham.

Hannah Big Tooth is getting scary. I wonder if the Poop Deck crew get to eat. I see they have some grog.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, GracieK said:

The thing that stuck out about her story was "obviously the child comes first".   Most people disagree with that, especially the mother's family.  It could be that it wouldn't have made a difference if she started treatment right away.  That's different.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Dittohead said:

56 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Because: Free day at the amusement park! The parents were probably there as well since no way could Colton and his date wrangle all those kids. That segment had nothing to harm the souls of little kids so parents could show their children the part they were in, they don't have to see the entire show.

Also because it is better than getting no date at all.

• Love 5

I have to say what Demi is doing could be called sexual harassment.  Probably would be if a guy was doing it to a Bachelorette. 

"Elyse - love is in the air." Hot balloons? Helicopter? Maybe a swingset...

Complaining about another girl always backfires. Like how Colton moves back Hannah Big Tooth moves in for the kiss. He gamely puts up with it.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Gregg247 said:

That was the point I was making earlier, and why I didn't really feel bad for her being sent home.  I didn't think it was because he wanted her to have a sob story.  I felt he just wanted her to have some substance, which she didn't really have.  He tried to converse with her and she took it nowhere.  Not only did she not have a sob story--she appeared to have no life.  lol

• Love 4

It's a helicopter! And they're going to an abandoned amusement park! Oh, I guess TB rented it for the day. 

Funny hearing that kid say, "My mom won't let me!" about watching The Bachelor/Bachelorette. This is a nice date. Scary, roller coasters are so scary! I was on one that went upside down (scream in fear).

That is very sad about Elyse's sister.

Hannah Big Tooth - something weird is happening with her skin. I wonder if the emotional stress is giving her a rash. (This is when they were getting the second group date rose.)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I didn't really feel they framed it in a silly way because they showed the whole conversation.  And all I could see was a person that couldn't help him carry the conversation whatsoever, and didn't even have any relationship goals other than for the guy to go out with her and her friends.  It just seemed like an obvious person to send home at that point.  I guess that is how I saw it--not really that they were unfair to her.  I felt Colton actually tried to converse with her, and get her started on a topic that she would actually talk about, but she was either very nervous or has nothing to say.  

• Love 5

Oh no, not that guy again. Ha! 

Nicole doesn't have tons of upper body strength.  Sidney doesn't use the best body position for flipping that tire.  The limo scene reminds me of The Biggest Lower season 7 when Tara pulled that car in a race and won.  If I could get the car to move I'd be afraid of getting run over if there was too much momentum. But I'd have to get the car moving first.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, piewarmer said:

I found it relaxing to watch Colton splash, cannonball and tip women with full hair and makeup right into the drink!

We loved the woman who went completely submerged while holding her champagne glass above the waterline. My husband yelled, "Safe the drink!"   Pool parties are the only times he  looks around from the computer when I'm watching this show. Well I did have him look at Hannah B's teeth while she was hissing.  Our dentist want us  to change out all our old silver fillings for white ones so we too can hiss on TV.

They might as well line the women all up for inspection, since we know darn well their bodies are going to figure heavily (all puns intended) in who is chosen.  Lauren definitely had the best shape in Arie's season.  I wouldn't have noticed if the camera hadn't stayed firmly on her behind throughout their last date. 

• Love 7

I hope that's plastic stemware in the pool!

Hannah Beauty Queen gets such ugly lines around her mouth when she's talking negatively. Heather's kind of encouraging the dissension.

I feel like a good rule is never talk bad about another competitor. Just be your best self.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Dittohead said:

Also, IIRC, we have never seen it before that someone set up for an entire episode to be a villain (Catherine), was then sent home so soon.  It really was odd.

1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

Prediction: Demi goes home. I don't know how any self-respecting virgin will put up with paddleboard spanking!

It was just so super weird/awkward how she was basically just tapping his butt with it.  It wasn't sexy, taboo, or 50 Shades of Gray...it was just, uh, limp.

55 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I have to say what Demi is doing could be called sexual harassment.  Probably would be if a guy was doing it to a Bachelorette. 

Really good point...I hadn't thought of that.

• Love 5

Well, Colton, if you like them both, just keep both. Then trust your own judgment and don't let the other girls influence you so much.

Ugh, he's keeping Demi. But she is comic relief. 

Singapore, cool!!

This is funny with all the little girls!

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I feel like a good rule is never talk bad about another competitor. Just be your best self.

And get sent home without even having one TH. Being good is not how you play TB game to get air time or tons of SM followers. (Social media, not the "other" SM!) Plus I'm pretty sure PAs tell the contestants what to do and prompt them to say things in their THs.

1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

This is The Bachelor. The whole show is harassment ... of good taste. Besides, Demi is channeling Corrine. Every season has to have one. For, you know, drahma. And water-cooler talk. (PTV is my water cooler.)

• Love 2
4 hours ago, eyelash said:

The kids showed more personality than most of the competitors.  During the carousel portion, Colton introduces himself to one little girl who says "I saw you, I watch The Bachelor with my Mom all the time."  According to my closed captions, a nearby girl then says "My Mom won't let me."  Hmmm...as a parent, if you don't think the content of a show is appropriate for your child to watch, why would you allow your child to appear on that very show?

I don't see an issue. Hanging out at an amusement park with a bunch of other kids around their age is an appropriate activity. Watching a tv show of a woman paddling an almost stranger and then using a fake hand to fondle him is not an appropriate activity. 

• Love 6

I don't get the insane Screeching when Colton is without a shirt.   These women have bikinis, I assume they've been to a pool or beach before?  do they SCREAM when a hot guy comes into their line of vision? because that would be exhausting. 

On the same note, it's weird it's now OK to sexualize men that way.  On the Bachelorette, if the B'ette walked out to the pool in a swimsuit, the men would not yell, catcall, scream, etc.   it just seems so weird for women to do this.  

• Love 16

Colton sans shirt does nothing for me.  But I’m surprised at how well he’s handling himself.  

Send those non beauty queens home.  The rabid one and the full house one.  Dump them both. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

I have to say what Demi is doing could be called sexual harassment.

But it wasn't her hand, it was a mannequin hand!! She has it all figured out... but yeah that was really odd, I mean there was no lead-in to it just put on this blindfold and wham directly to spanking him? Why? Was he supposed to think it was funny? What's endearing about a blindfolded spanking on a group date? And did she have the hand and the paddle in her purse or something? The whole thing was odd.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 6

The best part of the show for me was the bit at the end when all the little girls were interrupting for Colton time. He is very cute with kids, and it was a hilarious take on what happens every cocktail party.

I really want the Bach to start saying no to the interrupters. All it does is stir up drama, which I know is the point, but it is truly ridiculous when the one woman has been there for 30 seconds and has to get up and go. 

• Love 6
22 hours ago, JenE4 said:

WTH?!  It’s not like this girl did something so egregious that he had to humiliate her and send her home NOW instead of waiting until tomorrow’s rose ceremony! Buuut, the car was already on stand-by, so I suppose the producers made him send someone home today for dramatic purposes. Sure, girl, he won’t remember you existed let alone regret his life choices over you.

Daaamn. Who knew the sob story was a legitimate pre-requisite for a journey on this show?!? 

I was upset that Caitlin, the last Canadian contestant was sent home in such a rude fashion. Colton should have done it at the rose ceremony.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, oakville said:

I was upset that Caitlin, the last Canadian contestant was sent home in such a rude fashion. Colton should have done it at the rose ceremony.

Well, when you're driving and both front tires blow out you have to pull over. That convo was a trainwreck (to mix my transportation metaphors...) and I didn't find that he was rude about it. When you know it's not working, you know. No point in dragging things out. And I'm sure her being Canadian had nothing to do with it.

• Love 7
55 minutes ago, NoWhammies said:

I'm finding Colton surprisingly genuine. I think his age shows when he gets caught up in the beauty queen drama instead of walking away and saying, "nope - ot for me." 

I was not a fan of him as the choice, and the virgin crap they keep hammering away at is cringeworthy, but so far Colton himself has been inoffensive if unremarkable. I don’t hate him yet which is basically a compliment for the lead at this point in the franchise history 🙃

• Love 11

Wow. Is this the “fakest” season of the Bachelor to date? Normally there are 1-2 villains/annoying women. This season we have the pageant girls at each other, Demi and Tracy, and Onyeka who’s been friend-zoned and is just loud and obnoxious. Plus, Colton has zero chemistry with any of the women. I guess Hannah G makes sense for him, but I just can’t get over how tiny she is. 

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

Well, when you're driving and both front tires blow out you have to pull over. That convo was a trainwreck (to mix my transportation metaphors...) and I didn't find that he was rude about it. When you know it's not working, you know. No point in dragging things out. And I'm sure her being Canadian had nothing to do with it.

If Colton was Canadian, he would be more polite about letting her go.

• Love 5

Hannah B’s outfit, makeup and hair in the pirate date is the exact as shown in the previews of her saying, “What just happened?”  Yet, we never see that and previews tie that in with Colton jumping over the fence.

Hannah B seems really splotchy in the morning scene without any makeup.

And how many girls wear glasses?  Do they don the glasses in the morning and put in contacts after their coffee?

Somewhere during the pirate show, someone shows a turkey leg at the stage?  Who was that?

Demi is Corrine 2.0.  I can’t imagine that Colton would think a woman who blindfolds and spanks him is wife material.  And that laugh is awful!!!  Not to mention the sneer and foul language.

Heather is a shit-stirrer and she’s just ugly inside. I never cared for her gummy smile, but thought I was being mean because she couldn't help that.  Now she's showing her true colors and it's probably another reason for never being kissed.

I’m team Caelynn.  I don’t know why Colton cares a whit about Hannah B, given that their 1-on-1 date was so awkward.  And it was Hannah B who started with the back-stabbing.  Just send her home!

Oh ya, we are definitely in for a 2 on 1 with Hannah B and Caelynn!

• Love 4

Whoever chugged her champagne mid-air and cannon-balled into the pool is my hero. That's how I want to live my life. 

1 hour ago, GracieK said:

I was not a fan of him as the choice, and the virgin crap they keep hammering away at is cringeworthy, but so far Colton himself has been inoffensive if unremarkable. I don’t hate him yet which is basically a compliment for the lead at this point in the franchise history 🙃

Inoffensive is the perfect word for Colton. He's a bachelor who I definitely won't remember within the next few years. (Still think he was an awful choice, but I suppose that's neither here nor there anymore). 

• Love 7