Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Aftermath

Trini
  • Start Topic

Wow. I’m sure the diverse writing staff the clearly does not have exist on this show thought it would be wonderful to insert the awful, entitled white girl into their “black storyline.” This crap hit all the check marks of insulting, racist, patriarchy:  1) Privileged white girl forces herself on black woman because it’s her right; 2) White girl makes black girl forced to endure her presence miserable and plays the victim, the only thing the scene missed was the tears; 3) White girl forces her presence in a family matter she has no right to be a part of, because, of course, it’s her right; 4) Black girl learns her lesson to defer to whiteness because white interloper was “there for her” and they are on their way to being best buds.  Yeah. The absolute worst.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

Wow. I’m sure the diverse writing staff the clearly does not have exist on this show thought it would be wonderful to insert the awful, entitled white girl into their “black storyline.” This crap hit all the check marks of insulting, racist, patriarchy:  1) Privileged white girl forces herself on black woman because it’s her right; 2) White girl makes black girl forced to endure her presence miserable and plays the victim, the only thing the scene missed was the tears; 3) White girl forces her presence in a family matter she has no right to be a part of, because, of course, it’s her right; 4) Black girl learns her lesson to defer to whiteness because white interloper was “there for her” and they are on their way to being best buds.  Yeah. The absolute worst.

Resnick is not a particularly lovable character.  She is an equal opportunity pain in the ass who defers to her ultimate boss, an African-American.  She did the same with the Korean-American character as with Claire for him to take her out shooting.  She is mean and a bit bullying to the autistic character.  But she has some real issues. The theme of series 2 is one's greatest weakness can be one's greatest strength.  Claire's weakness is that she has too soft of a heart.  Her greatest strengths are that she is capable, strong, extremely bright....and has a soft heart.  Maybe some truth in 1-3 but certainly not 4.  Claire has a strong sense of right and wrong.  She ultimately is in control at the end working out why Resnick behaved the way she did, forcing Resnick to be vulnerable.  She emerges as the sensible, strong one, not Resnick.  This show is far from perfect but what I love about it is its inclusiveness.  That comes from a writing room and cast that is pretty diverse.  They like to play with tropes too.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, vibeology said:

Joey Tribbiani's theory about this is always right.

Ray Palmer (Brandon Routh) and Nora Darhk (Courtney Ford) have TONS of chemistry, so not ALWAYS right!

20 hours ago, Virtual said:

I knew Andrews trying to be a hero (by assuming both President and Chief of Surgery positions at the hospital) was going to come back and bite him.

I have to laugh when Andrews says he hates bureaucrats -- what does he think the President of a hospital is? 

• Love 2

I thought this was pretty good showing some of what the Docs do away from the hospital.  The best part though was the writers weaving a few of the actors real life skills into the story, Claire has a lovely voice which I didn't know about before and I winced a little when Park did that split (ouch) but it and his whole workout routine was impressive.  I know many find Lea grating but the cart race was fun to watch, Shaun being slow and careful and Glassman getting the first true laugh and smile on his face then we've seen in a long time.

It's interesting that Andrews defended Melendez and Lim to the investigator but not one word about Shaun at all.  Was his (temporary) melt down better then, equal to or not as bad as Lim injecting someone whose history she didn't know with a drug that interacts badly with many other medications?  That's if I heard correctly and they said she used Haldol, pretty sure that's what they said.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

It's interesting that Andrews defended Melendez and Lim to the investigator but not one word about Shaun at all.  Was his (temporary) melt down better then, equal to or not as bad as Lim injecting someone whose history she didn't know with a drug that interacts badly with many other medications?  That's if I heard correctly and they said she used Haldol, pretty sure that's what they said.

Actually surprisingly he did defend Shaun, alone of the three, to the investigator due to his not knowing what Melendez and Lim had done.  

Edited by doctor destiny
  • Love 4
On 1/22/2019 at 11:51 AM, milner said:

I guess I am the only one who didn’t like this episode. It is a medical drama supposedly but has totally become a soap opera. I have no interest in Claire’s mom or Parks ex and son etc except if it impacts on them at work.

Naw.  I wasn't loving this either.  I like the idea of this sort of out-of-the-bottle episode to give a moment in time insight into all their different personalities, but it really didn't work for me.  I think Park and his wife's story was the most successful.  I don't feel invested in her at all, but it is nice to see that side of him and get some in depth look at that relationship.

I hate all things Lea.  She is basically unwatchable.  I was liking seeing Resnik at yoga and Park with his very flexible self and Claire singing and then we cut to Lea and her stupid s****** dancing.  Ugh.  I can now only watch this show on demand so I can FF through her.

Claire's storyline with her mother would have been a nice (dysfunctional) re-visit with them.  But this one didn't work either because it wasn't about Claire at all, it was about further woobifying Resnick.

On 1/24/2019 at 9:12 PM, Happytobehere said:

I do think parts of this had race-fail,but I wasn't even thinking about all that.  I was thinking about the big ass elephant in the room that these writers seemed totally toned deaf about when it came to racial optics for one particular scene.  Resnick (a white girl, whom we know has a gun in her possession) rolled up all aggressively and talked a lot of shit to black man who was minding his own damned business at his place of work.   I mean.... seriously?  How do they not realize that scene just looked all kinds of wrong on every level?  It doesn't matter that Claire's mom supposedly told them he hit her (which turned out to be a lie).  But even if it had been true, that scene still reeked of blazing white girl privilege because the subtext of the writing made it wanted us to feel like it was her right to get up in that man's face absent any proof or due process.  Jeez Louise.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 5

There are lots of great soap operas in Brazil. I don't need another one. Not when even our worst soap is better than this mess.

Worst episode ever. The writing was so ridiculous, I was shaking my head in disbelief. Honestly, I don't know how long I can keep hate watching. I'm with everyone who said Shaun needs to be the focus of the show again. Otherwise I'm done.

Morgan having a gun and willing to use it to threaten someone was bad enough. But the racial implications were even worse. It seems to me the writers and digging themselves into a very deep hole, and they may never come out of it.

Claire singing was a nice surprise. Only tolerable part of the episode. And I don't even like Claire that much.

Edited by maddie965